PDA

View Full Version : Manute Bol faces long battle back

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Manute Bol faces long battle back

www.kansascity.com/mld/ka...888.htm?1c (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9664888.htm?1c)

There's a basketball hoop outside Manute Bol's window at the Hospital for Special Care in New Britain, Conn., but he doesn't look at it.

Bol, the famed NBA shot blocker, has a broken neck and wears a collar that restricts his movement. He lies in a specially constructed bed to support his 7-foot, 7-inch body, which was badly injured in a taxi cab accident June 30. The single-car crash killed the driver and left Bol near death.

Bol, who blocked 2,086 shots during his 10-year NBA career, faces a long climb back from three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a sizeable head wound, a mangled left wrist and internal injuries.

“I am very lucky to be alive,” said Bol, 43, in his first interview since the accident in Colchester, Conn. “If God wants to take my left arm, that's OK, as long as I can walk and play with my kids.”

The taxi driver, Neville Robinson, 48, of Hartford, was driving under the influence. Bol has sued the cab company. He is broke, has no health insurance and is not yet eligible for his NBA pension.

He gave away an estimated $3.2 million to help his countrymen fight the Islamic government in Sudan, and he's not sorry he did.

Still, as he lies in bed, his mind wanders.

“I was wondering, what did I do wrong to God?” he said.

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:19 AM
Somebody needs to help him. It's sad that he doesn't have money or insurance. He's friends with a lot of NBA players. He's given so much back to others; it's time for someone to help him.

timvp
09-16-2004, 03:23 AM
Hang in there, big fella.

SAmikeyp
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Does he get a pension from the NBA?

Spur219
09-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Kori he is getting help from Chris Mullin and the Warriors organization. Mullin was a great friend of his and is running a camp I believe to help with expenses.

DuffMcCartney
09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
He gave away an estimated $3.2 million to help his countrymen fight the Islamic government in Sudan, and he's not sorry he did.

That's pretty good.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Does he get a pension from the NBA?

If he formally retires he should be eligible for about $3250 per month on his NBA pension...

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:01 PM
From the article ..

is not yet eligible for his NBA pension.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-16-2004, 03:10 PM
sorry Kori but the article is wrong.

It is my understanding that any player that has played in the league for at least three years is eligible for his pension after official retirement. The pension is based on years played X approximately $325 per month.

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Yeah I understand that too. But this is the second article that has said Bol isn't getting retirement money from the NBA. I wonder where they are getting that info and if he didn't officially retire or something weird.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-16-2004, 04:04 PM
hmmm...after searching a little it looks like the pension may start at age 45...but one article said Manute would start getting his next year...

TacoBeer
09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
This is sad.

I hope all goes well for him

tlongII
09-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I bet Jim would lend him some money.