PDA

View Full Version : Article: The San Antonio Spurs Will Not Die

Cherry
05-01-2010, 01:40 PM
The San Antonio Spurs Will Not Die
by Rey-Rey

I wanna give a million apologies to the San Antonio Spurs.

Every time I doubt them, they just go out there and prove me wrong.

I thought they were done in 2005. The Phoenix Suns returned to prominence with their newly-minted MVP Steve Nash. What did they do? They destroyed them in five games. And then they went out and beat the Detroit Pistons in a grueling seven-game series (if not, hard to watch at times).

I thought they were done in 2007. They ran into a more battle-tested Phoenix Suns... and those Suns was sporting an awesome team. And then Nash's nose kept bleeding, Horry hip checks Nash that would cause suspensions, and the Spurs got away yet again. And then they made short work of the not-supposed-to-be-there Cleveland Cavaliers...

Continue here: http://www.fanway.com/live/blog/2010/04/30/727-the-san-antonio-spurs-will-not-die.html

:flag:

Spursmania
05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool article. Thanks Cherry.

Russ
05-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Nobody has that wooden stake, baby.

Nobody. :flag:

YoMamaIsCallin
05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I am so tired of this "Horry's hip check caused Suns suspensions" canard. First off, yeah, Horry moved into Nash's path to foul him on purpose. But Nash is the one who decided to try to run him over and then bounced himself off him. Why didn't Nash try to avoid him, or at least pull up on the collision rather than force it at full speed? Second, no one MADE the Suns players leave the bench and walk onto the court. Every NBA player knows or should know the rules. And it's the assistant coaches' job to jump up and stop any player who starts to leave the bench. Why didn't they handle their business?

The Suns have no one to be angry at but themselves.

MateoNeygro
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
nice. Lets hope history repeats itself.

Bukefal
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
:flag::flag: nice

TIMMYD!
05-01-2010, 01:55 PM
i am so tired of this "horry's hip check caused suns suspensions" canard. First off, yeah, horry moved into nash's path to foul him on purpose. But nash is the one who decided to try to run him over and then bounced himself off him. Why didn't nash try to avoid him, or at least pull up on the collision rather than force it at full speed? Second, no one made the suns players leave the bench and walk onto the court. Every nba player knows or should know the rules. And it's the assistant coaches' job to jump up and stop any player who starts to leave the bench. Why didn't they handle their business?

The suns have no one to be angry at but themselves.

+10000000000000000

Leftyventricle
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
rey-rey?

Spursmania
05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I am so tired of this "Horry's hip check caused Suns suspensions" canard. First off, yeah, Horry moved into Nash's path to foul him on purpose. But Nash is the one who decided to try to run him over and then bounced himself off him. Why didn't Nash try to avoid him, or at least pull up on the collision rather than force it at full speed? Second, no one MADE the Suns players leave the bench and walk onto the court. Every NBA player knows or should know the rules. And it's the assistant coaches' job to jump up and stop any player who starts to leave the bench. Why didn't they handle their business?

So true buddy, so true.:flag:

NFGIII
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM

So true but for the next year or so we were all privileged to hear Stuart Scott from ESPN talk about how the Suns got robbed of their championship. It seemed that he took every chance to bring that up.

Made me want to :vomit: or :nutkick: him.

exstatic
05-01-2010, 05:12 PM
So true but for the next year or so we were all privileged to hear Stuart Scott from ESPN talk about how the Suns got robbed of their championship. It seemed that he took every chance to bring that up.

Made me want to :vomit: or :nutkick: him.

:lmao Even baby LeBron would have ass-raped those no-defense-playin' Suns in 2007. He probably would have averaged 50 points. No one was robbed of a 'ship.

Slomo
05-01-2010, 05:29 PM

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/gifs/Hypno_Horry.gif

jag
05-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Most suns fans are like Mark Cuban...any failures are a result of someone wronging them, not their own ineptitude.

poop
05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
this suspension bullshit has GOT TO STOP.

the media likes to make it sound like it was a grueling 7 -game series that came right down to the wire of game 7 and the spurs won by a hair ONLY because the suns were suspended for game 7 .....:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

the REALITY is that:

- the spurs won in 6. they won 4 times and the suns only won 2. it wasnt THAT close, and the suns had their full team when they got beat 3 times.

- the suns had their FULL TEAM when they got BEAT on their own court in game 6

- Nash pulled one of the epic flops of all time

- in the 3 playoff series between the two teams from '05 thru '08, the nash-a'm'r'e suns won a TOTAL of FOUR GAMES LOL!!! the spurs beat them TWELVE times. this was not so much a 'rivalry' or 'only won cause they got suspended for one game'....this was in actuality total domination.
:wakeup

weebo
05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
True. There is no rivarly when one team dominates the other.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM

What he and other ESPN types kept saying, when they were waiting for the ruling to come down, that the league shouldn't suspend the Suns players because it was unfair to penalize them for something the Spurs did.

It was then, and it is now, completely warped logic. It was an attempt to rationalize away Amare's mistake, simply because he is Amare and they wanted him to win.

I firmly believe that the reason the League suspended Horry for two games was exactly because of the outcry from the media. They had to suspend Amare (and Diaw), so this was an attempt to "make up" for the suspension. I believe that, had Amare and Diaw not left the bench, Horry would not have been suspended at all.

I mean, come on. It was a body check. It wasn't a punch. It wasn't an in-the-air takedown. It wasn't an elbow to the head. It wasn't even that hard.

spursrocks
05-01-2010, 09:36 PM
i believe we can beat the suns in 7 game series. but against the lakers? the lakers are sure scary team we must face. (assuming lakers beats utah)

Nathan Explosion
05-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Just nitpicking here, but the link isn't an article, it's a column. A column is an opinion while an article deals with facts, who, what, when, where, why and how.

Carry on.

Spurious
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I mean, come on. It was a body check. It wasn't a punch. It wasn't an in-the-air takedown. It wasn't an elbow to the head. It wasn't even that hard.

When Nash is on the receiving end, every hit is hard.

NRHector
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
i believe we can beat the suns in 7 game series. but against the lakers? the lakers are sure scary team we must face. (assuming lakers beats utah)the lakers are not a scary team, sometimes they are more healthy than the other teams, look what happened to them when one of their big man goes down they become an average team.

Blackjack
05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I do find it amusing how the Spurs only managed to get by the Suns on account of a hip-check (if that's what you want to call it).

Suns fans and the media immediately make the leap that they would've beat the Cavs and conveniently forget to mention two things: The Spurs won in 6; and the Suns weren't guaranteed of beating the Jazz (since Utah won 3 of 4 during the season and has generally given them fits).

In fact, since Nash has been there and they've lost to the Spurs (three times), I'm not sure if they win a single title during that stretch if they get by the Spurs.

They weren't going to beat the Pistons (for pretty much the same reasons they lost in 5 to the Spurs); beating Utah wasn't a foregone conclusion (and Cleveland would've have been tougher than most care to admit); and they weren't getting out of the West in '08.

Funny, the Spurs are seen as the bane of the Suns' existence, but how much have they really lost -- they seemed to have just lost earlier.

phxspurfan
05-01-2010, 11:31 PM
That's right...the San Antonio Spurs never die. They just go to hell and regroup!

poop
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I do find it amusing how the Spurs only managed to get by the Suns on account of a hip-check (if that's what you want to call it).

Suns fans and the media immediately make the leap that they would've beat the Cavs and conveniently forget to mention two things: The Spurs won in 6; and the Suns weren't guaranteed of beating the Jazz (since Utah won 3 of 4 during the season and has generally given them fits).

In fact, since Nash has been there and they've lost to the Spurs (three times), I'm not sure if they win a single title during that stretch if they get by the Spurs.

They weren't going to beat the Pistons (for pretty much the same reasons they lost in 5 to the Spurs); beating Utah wasn't a foregone conclusion (and Cleveland would've have been tougher than most care to admit); and they weren't getting out of the West in '08.

Funny, the Spurs are seen as the bane of the Suns' existence, but how much have they really lost -- they seemed to have just lost earlier.

excellent post.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Sweet, they lost one game due to suspensions. What's the prevailing excuse for their other three losses? :rolleyes

poop
05-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Sweet, they lost one game due to suspensions. What's the prevailing excuse for their other three losses? :rolleyes

haha exactly, everyone is strangely quiet about this.

ATXSPUR
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Pffft, more hip check mention.

anyway! Honestly, that Suns team in 03 scared me more than any of the ones with Nash. They were pretty physical with us and i'll never forget that ass-raping Marbury was putting on TP. Since then, TP has pretty much dominated every series with the Suns.

boutons_deux
05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
"Marbury was putting on TP"

Tony bounced back from his timidness opposite The Great Starbury and had a great series.

fyatuk
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Second, no one MADE the Suns players leave the bench and walk onto the court. Every NBA player knows or should know the rules. And it's the assistant coaches' job to jump up and stop any player who starts to leave the bench. Why didn't they handle their business?

Did anyone else notice Pop after Najera threw Manu to the ground. He grabbed one of the assistants, pointed towards the bench, and the assistant went to make sure no one left.

Just thought it was appropriate to bring up here.

TJastal
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/gifs/Hypno_Horry.gif

:lmao

Bambililos
05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Nice read