PDA

View Full Version : Question about RJ's production

GSH
05-01-2010, 06:03 PM
We've all talked about the need for Richard Jefferson to keep his production up in the playoffs. I noticed something about his season averages, based on the number of days rest:

0 days of rest - 13.2 ppg
1 day of rest - 12.5 ppg
2 days of rest - 11.8 ppg

By comparison, Manu's and McDyess' look like this:
.......................Manu..........McDyess
0 days of rest - 13.4 ppg...... 4.5 ppg
1 day of rest - 18.0 ppg....... 6.2 ppg
2 days of rest - 18.2 ppg...... 7.2 ppg

Over the last 3 months, Jefferson's overall production has picked up. During that time, he averaged closer to 16 ppg on the second night of back to backs. It looks like Jefferson is able to step up and score more points on the nights when our older players typically struggle.

So what do you think? Could the team be getting more production out of Jefferson on a regular basis? Could they do it without those points coming right off someone else's line? Could they get more mileage by starting Tony and bringing Manu and RJ off the bench together?

MmP
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Make him play all day long on free days.

itzsoweezee
05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
jefferson scores when his teammates actually give him the ball. if his teammates are tired, they're more likely to give him the ball, hence, his production is better.

Biggems
05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I dont care who scores, as long as the total is at least 1 more point than the Suns in each game.

LakerHater
05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
RJ need to drive the ball more & shoot with confidence & he'll be fine!

TIMMYD!
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
He tends to disappear at times when we most need him to help. His driving opens up our offensive opportunities tremendously yet he seems to do that consistently during a game every 5 or so.

jag
05-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Make him play all day long on free days.

:lol

DAF86
05-01-2010, 06:55 PM
RJ is shooting 541% from the field, his problem has never been efficiency, the thing is that he doesn't get enough touches and that isn't entirely his fault. He's hustling, defending, rebounding and making shots when given the chance. Spurs fans are beign a little unfair with him, imho.

toki9
05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
jefferson scores when his teammates actually give him the ball. if his teammates are tired, they're more likely to give him the ball, hence, his production is better.

I agree...i think this stat means he's deferring to the established teammates more than anything else, and that he can pick up the slack if needed (not that he always does, however)...

m33p0
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
he's been aggressive since Game 2, looking for ways to contribute.

NZ Spurs
05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
He tends to disappear at times when we most need him to help.

He's the fourth option, you are suggesting that he should succeed as the teams bail-out guy. It doesn't work like that.

His driving opens up our offensive opportunities tremendously yet he seems to do that consistently during a game every 5 or so.

Do people who continue to say this actually play basketball? Sure, he needs to continue to be aggressive, but you simply cannot just drive the ball every time.

NZ Spurs
05-01-2010, 07:32 PM

This is actually a good point that needs to be articulated better. RJ is most successful when the defense is not set. Therefore, he needs other players to disrupt the defense and then look for him, or obviously in the open floor.

Cane
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Just call him a dog and he'll go to the rim at will ;)

In the next series I think RJ is going to help a lot with his athletic legs and transition game since the tempo is going to get PHX-fast at times.

Waps1980
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
If he can keep working hard on defense like he did v Mavs his offense will pick up v Suns cos they move the ball fast which should lead to more active defense from Spurs and more fast break points for Spurs.
Plus if they double TD it will open up lanes for TP, Manu and RJ.

GSH
05-01-2010, 11:05 PM

That's the way it looked to me, too. It's not exactly scientific, but it makes sense. When they're tired, he winds up getting the ball more and he puts up more points. I can't think of any other reason for it. Especially the last 3 months, where he's been pretty consistently putting up around 16 points in those back to back games. He can't score if he doesn't get touches.

Danny.Zhu
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I blame this on Pop for not 100% (or even 80%) utilizing RJ's capability.

spursfaninla
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
RJ is playing very efficiently, and should be more effective in the fast break. We will see how much we get a chance to utilize that.

Unfortunately, RJ is not built as well for the half court. He should be attacking the rim after a slasher breaks down the defense, but for some reason that has not come together.

ulosturedge
05-02-2010, 12:04 AM
RJ has been taking his shots with a lot more confidence as of late. CWeb made a remark on the tnt post game report tonight that he could be a crucial part to how this series goes against the Suns. I tend to agree. For some reason I got this feeling that the Mavs are tougher on defense against us then what the Suns might bring this series. Not to mention the psyche of a team that tends to establish themselves as an offensive juggernaut seem to lag more on defense because they feel that their wins and loses are more predicated on their offensive output. Not to take anything away from the Suns because Hill has helped them become more established on the defensive end, but I still think Jefferson will have a lot of opportunities to make an impact on the offensive end of the court against them.

Big P
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Bottom line is..if we want to beat Phoenix, rj is going to need to show up in a big way..that includes slashing to the basket & dunking..that will open his jumper for him..when he does this we are tough to beat...if he decides to sit around & be a jump shooter...we are fooked.

peskypesky
05-02-2010, 01:28 AM

this

peskypesky
05-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Bottom line is..if we want to beat Phoenix, rj is going to need to show up in a big way..that includes slashing to the basket & dunking..that will open his jumper for him..when he does this we are tough to beat...if he decides to sit around & be a jump shooter...we are fooked.

i don't think RJ wants to spot up and shoot. i think his natural inclination is to move without the ball and slash to the basket. but he needs good passers to get him the ball at the right moment. manu is good at this. tim is good. hill is getting better. my hope is that the other players have had enough time now to learn how to play with him.

peskypesky
05-02-2010, 01:33 AM
RJ is not built as well for the half court. He should be attacking the rim after a slasher breaks down the defense, but for some reason that has not come together.

i agree. i can't believe the Spurs haven't been able to make this happen more.