PDA

View Full Version : Why do some NBA fans. . .

Jacob1983
05-02-2010, 12:50 AM
act like they have personally won NBA championships when in reality they have not? I have noticed that a lot on here. Some fans on here act like they are a "part of the team". I don't get it. Is it done to hide some insecurities about themselves or just to be arrogant cocky bitches? Fans don't play for their teams. I know it's hard for some to realize it but it's true. No one on here has any NBA championships. Your team might have them but you personally do not. It's annoying when NBA fans do that. And it's also annoying when fans take credit for their teams' success too.

TinTin
05-02-2010, 01:03 AM
You could have just private messaged lakaluva

kamikazi_player
lol DOK#2

21_Dickings
Because it's a sense of accomplishment to pick a winner. You can do it too. Just become a fan of the Lakers and then you'll know the joy of rooting for a championship team, a 15 time championship team!

It's really easy to do actually. Me and 21_Blessings were Bucks fans before we moved out to the coast (we really thought California would pass prop 8 allowing homosexuals to wed). Dazed and Confused was born in a Mexican brothel, but once him and his family snuck into California and officially became "Los Angelenos," (which means getting on welfare and drinking copious amounts of Bud Light) they chose the Lakers as their team, as many wetba..., I mean Chicanos, do. Lakaluva didn't even know what a basketball looked like up until two years ago. But once he hopped on the bandwagon, he's become a pussy chasin', top shelf booze drinking, wife of a Mexican tow-truck driver banging son-of-a-gun!

Rooting for the Lakers cures all of one's woes.

Andrew Bynum
05-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Because most fans of certain teams were born and grew up in the city that the team represents so they feel a deep connection to that particular team. Unlike some fans from say New York rooting for the Spurs or something, that doesn't really cut it.

InRareForm
05-02-2010, 01:15 AM
original poster, go get laid, you sound irritable.

Andy25
05-02-2010, 01:18 AM
act like they have personally won NBA championships when in reality they have not? I have noticed that a lot on here. Some fans on here act like they are a "part of the team". I don't get it. Is it done to hide some insecurities about themselves or just to be arrogant cocky bitches? Fans don't play for their teams. I know it's hard for some to realize it but it's true. No one on here has any NBA championships. Your team might have them but you personally do not. It's annoying when NBA fans do that. And it's also annoying when fans take credit for their teams' success too.
Shut up Woman. This is men talk. Go make me a sandwich.

Mavs_man_41
05-02-2010, 01:19 AM
don't let culburn see this thread :lol

siraulo23
05-02-2010, 01:20 AM
:lmao

Jacob1983
05-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I don't see how being a fan of a successful team is an accomplishment. You just have been either lucky or blessed because you root for a team that has had success. So Laker fans, you always brag on here about your team having so many championships. What about all of the losses your team has had in the NBA Finals? 15 times as the runner up? No one ever talks about that. I know I root for the Mavs and I know they have no championships and basically squandered their only trip to the Finals to an overrated team led by an STD-infested overrated player so you don't have to tell me that. Well, I also root for the Bulls but I would say I root for the Mavs more. I was in Chicago when the Bulls won in 1991 and 1992 but never ever got to go to a game when I lived there. Too damn expensive. Chicago was fuckin' crazy when the Bulls won.

poop
05-02-2010, 01:38 AM
almost all Lakers fans are bullshit because they live in a franchise where the NBA wont allow to go too long without making the finals at least. its is a cop out, too easy, asterisk to be a Lakers fan.

the true fans are the ones in other, smaller franchises who stick with their team even though the chance of a title is almost negligable. thats why i love to see the OKC fans so crazy, the golden state fans so supportive, the Utah fans, etc...they know their team is at asevere disadvantage but provide diehard support year after year regardless.

Lakers 'fans' will boo their own team if they dont dominate every year and their own players if they struggle...it is such a spoiled franchise. fuck them.

Spurs fans had to go decades before their team won a title...they know the league/media does them no favors and would much rather the Lakers or some other big market team win.part of the fire from us and other smaller market franchises is that they know they are competing against the odds against the media darling teams who can get any free agents they want etc...they support their hometown teams year after year knowing the odds are against them.

tlongII
05-02-2010, 01:41 AM
This looks like a thread a Mavs fan would start.

m33p0
05-02-2010, 02:09 AM
you wouldn't know. how can you?

Creepn
05-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I always hear the players say "We wouldn't have done this without you guys!"

I believe fans have an impact on the way they play. They fans can get them hyped up and give them that juice to make a run that could win the game. I think 60k+ screaming fans can fuck up your free-throw concentration also. Its the little things man. I also doubt if there is a poor fan showing for the team, the players wouldn't care much to try to play their hearts out.

Fuck it, I feel like I'm part of the team!

Giuseppe
05-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm like super confident the NBA rank & file would never begrudge us this claim.

scampers
05-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Laziness.

"We" is easier to type than "the Pistons".

djohn2oo8
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
If the Mavs ever won one, it would be "1 ring faggots" pretty much until the end of time

ffadicted
05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Without its fans, a team wouldn't exist, nuff said

MateoNeygro
05-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Because it's a sense of accomplishment to pick a winner. You can do it too. Just become a fan of the Lakers and then you'll know the joy of rooting for a championship team, a 15 time championship team!

It's really easy to do actually. Me and 21_Blessings were Bucks fans before we moved out to the coast (we really thought California would pass prop 8 allowing homosexuals to wed). Dazed and Confused was born in a Mexican brothel, but once him and his family snuck into California and officially became "Los Angelenos," (which means getting on welfare and drinking copious amounts of Bud Light) they chose the Lakers as their team, as many wetba..., I mean Chicanos, do. Lakaluva didn't even know what a basketball looked like up until two years ago. But once he hopped on the bandwagon, he's become a pussy chasin', top shelf booze drinking, wife of a Mexican tow-truck driver banging son-of-a-gun!

Rooting for the Lakers cures all of one's woes.

hahahahhahahaha fucking EPIC!

MateoNeygro
05-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I say we because I roll with my team. Ride or die until the end of time. I support them so I feel like I'm a part of it. I know my being a fan doesn't have an impact so to speak but that's besides the point.

Girasuck
05-02-2010, 10:25 AM
If you think Utah fans aren't part of the Jazz then you're an idiot. Name another arena where the fans are good for at least 5-7 wins a season? You really think we'd have a HUGE advantage at home if we were sitting on our thumbs like Laker fans? We're the only fan base that can change the way a game is called, and we're the only fan base that can get into another players head (Melo, TMac for example) and cause them to fuck over their team.

Fuck anyone that thinks we aren't part of the Jazz.

easy7
05-02-2010, 10:32 AM

They do it for the same reason that there was confetti in Dallas everytime the Mavs won a game in the series, fans high fiving each other like they did something, like Dallas had won the championship. And yes it is because they want to hide their insecurities and be arrogant cocky bitches. Like Terry saying there will be a game 7 in Dallas, same thing. Seems like you are pissed because you team hasn't won shit and can't do the same thing as the people you find annoying. Let it go Louie, let the boys be boys.

Giuseppe
05-02-2010, 10:33 AM
^:rolleyes

Kamnik
05-02-2010, 11:55 AM
This looks like a thread a Mavs fan would start.

My initial thoughts exactly.

spursfan09
05-02-2010, 02:35 PM
So what? When they win and you are fan you have a reason to celebrate.

Jacob1983
05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I like the Bulls but you don't see me posting "I have 6 rings bitch" or "6 rings faggot". I just don't get it.

Mr.Robinson
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Fans are the reason teams and sports exist. If you are a fan of a team then you are part of it.

Jacob1983
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I've been a Bulls fan since I lived in Chicago as a little kid. I lived there for 7 years during my childhood so please don't give me that whole "now you're a Bulls fan" shit.

dav4463
05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
A Maverick fan wouldn't understand. Your team never wins anything.

Spurs fans are like family. No matter your age, background, wealth, etc., if you see someone in a Spurs jersey at an airport, mall, wherever....they are approachable and friendly. After winning a championship, it is even better. People you don't even know walk up and high five you ! People are happier and therefore, friendlier. You get great service in restaurants, etc....it all adds up!

As a fan since I was a kid; I feel like I've just played 48 minutes after I watch a Spurs game, so yeah, I feel like part of the team.

Mav fans start every year thinking " this is the year", but it never happens. They get close sometimes, but ultimately they know their heart will be ripped out by their team. So, Mav fans become depressed and jealous of Spurs fans who have experienced and enjoyed championships.

You have a newspaper with a parade route for a parade that never happened!

We have great memories of REAL championship parades!

Jacob1983
05-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Does it ever make you mad that the Mavs prevented the Spurs' only legitimate chance of a repeat? If the Spurs had beaten the Mavs in the 2nd round in 2006, they would have been the champs. The Spurs weren't going to repeat in 2000 because Duncan was out. It was 50/50 in 2004. And there was no chance in 2008 because that Spurs team was depleted and was beaten by a good Lakers team that choked in the Finals.

AnthonyM
05-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Does it ever make you mad that the Mavs prevented the Spurs' only legitimate chance of a repeat? If the Spurs had beaten the Mavs in the 2nd round in 2006, they would have been the champs. The Spurs weren't going to repeat in 2000 because Duncan was out. It was 50/50 in 2004. And there was no chance in 2008 because that Spurs team was depleted and was beaten by a good Lakers team that choked in the Finals.

Nope.

But it's funny that if you read between the lines on this post that you're admitting that the Mavs did an epic choke job in '06.

Does that ever make you mad?

xellos88330
05-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I don't see how being a fan of a successful team is an accomplishment. You just have been either lucky or blessed because you root for a team that has had success. So Laker fans, you always brag on here about your team having so many championships. What about all of the losses your team has had in the NBA Finals? 15 times as the runner up? No one ever talks about that. I know I root for the Mavs and I know they have no championships and basically squandered their only trip to the Finals to an overrated team led by an STD-infested overrated player so you don't have to tell me that. Well, I also root for the Bulls but I would say I root for the Mavs more. I was in Chicago when the Bulls won in 1991 and 1992 but never ever got to go to a game when I lived there. Too damn expensive. Chicago was fuckin' crazy when the Bulls won.

The real reason why fans act like they personally won a championship is to make guys like you freak out. We love it when we see fans of other teams squirm and our ultimate high is seeing people post and bitch about it.

Thank you for entertaining me. :toast

SomeCallMeTim
05-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Sheesh... some topics come up on a weekly basis, don't they?

The "we" stuff never bothers me. I don't do it but I can see why others do.

The only thing that bothers me is unreasonable, homerish fans... and whether they use "we" or not is irrelevant.

EmptyMan
05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I've thought about this before...

Sports is basically simulated war. Since everyone has a boring job and a boring life in these times they look to Sports to feel that fulfillment of rooting for their side to crush the other. Not everyone, but we all get that Hamster Wheel feeling every once in a while. We are too civilized to actually want the blood and guts part, but we still feel that basic animal instinct.

I raff at the people that get pissy about "we" and "us". That's just how people talk about sports.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
^Yep, Professional Rasslin' Exhibit A.

z0sa
05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Seems like only fans of teams that have no rings complain about this.

Jacob1983
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I can admit that the Mavs did choke in 2006 and 2007 even with the shitty refs in the 2006 Finals, the Mavs still should have won that series.
I don't care if a fan roots for a team that has championships or not. I just think it's annoying and a little weird when fans refer to themselves as a part of their favorite teams.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Deep personal connection to a team, which is magnified 100 times if you're from or actually lived in the area the team is based. You've seen the guys come and go, watched those that are the heart and soul of the franchise (hopefully) leave it on the floor every year even if they don't win anything. In SA, you see the players in the community on a regular basis (and not just doing perfunctory "NBA Cares" promos). You stick with them through thick and through thin, whether you remain in the local area or not. All of this and a million other intangibles are what makes it so sweet if your team actually does win it all. I will never forget the atmosphere in San Antonio during the '99 run. I hate to use cliche phrases like "magical," or anything touchy-feely like that, but until it's your team making that run and accomplishing greatness after all the shit you've been through as a fan, it's hard to put into words why many fans feel a part of the team, even if they've never picked up a basketball in their life.

mavsluva
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I've come to realize that most sports fans need a reason to feel important because they're often lacking too much in their lives own lives. And the real problem is that they're often seeking greener grass but refusing to water their own lawn at the same time. So being a part of someone elses success gives them reasons to rejoice because it simply aint happening in their own lives.

j.dizzle
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I was born in LA, been a fan since I was a lil kid, spent thousands of dollars on tickets, merchandise, etc etc..Why the hell should I not feel like I'm part of the team? If your team ever wins a title you'll know how great it feels son.

mavsluva
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I was born in LA, been a fan since I was a lil kid, spent thousands of dollars on tickets, merchandise, etc etc..Why the hell should I not feel like I'm part of the team? If your team ever wins a title you'll know how great it feels son.

If you can't put it on your resume, then it's not YOUR accomplishment.

Jacob1983
05-03-2010, 10:24 PM
There's nothing with being proud of your team or loving your team. And there's nothing wrong with sticking with your team even when they suck ass for a long time. That's the sign of a true fan. A true fan endures both the good and bad times. I just don't like seeing fans acting cocky and arrogant and like they contributed to their teams' championships and deserve credit for the championships.