PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson to meet with 76ers, Hornets

duncan228
05-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Former coach Johnson to meet with 76ers, Hornets (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/01/johnson.sixers.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2)

Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson is scheduled to talk to the Philadelphia 76ers and New Orleans Hornets next week about their coaching vacancies.

Johnson said he will meet with the Sixers on Monday and Hornets on Tuesday in Texas. He has been working as a TV analyst for ESPN, which first reported his plans.

Hornets spokesman Harold Kaufman said the team has no comment and the 76ers said they do not comment on coaching searches.

Johnson coached Dallas for three-plus seasons, going 194-70 in the regular season and 23-24 in the playoffs. He guided the Mavs to the NBA finals in 2006, but was fired after a first-round playoff series loss to New Orleans in 2008.

The Sixers and Hornets both missed the playoffs this season. Philadelphia fired coach Eddie Jordan after finishing with a 27-55 record. Hornets general manager Jeff Bower, who stepped in as coach after Byron Scott was fired nine games into the season, went back to the front office full time after New Orleans wound up 37-45.

The next Hornets coach likely will work under new ownership.

George Shinn is in negotiations to sell his majority share to minority owner Gary Chouest, a south Louisiana native and owner of a company that builds and operates vessels for the offshore oil and gas industry.

Johnson grew up in New Orleans and went to college at Southern in Baton Rouge before a 16-year NBA playing career.

Ghazi
05-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Avery to the Hornets is a bad fit.

Too many gutless pussies on that team that would tune him out within 5 games and get him fired.

Just like they quit on Scott in that pathetic 121-63 showing and cost him his job.

CP3-coach killer :td

poop
05-02-2010, 01:29 AM
he is and always has been an overrated, loudmouthed fag.

playing as starting pg with the best frontline ever '98 thru '02 put up 5.9 assist per game, and about 8-9 ppg and his jersey is retired oh brother

BRHornet45
05-02-2010, 01:36 AM
he is and always has been an overrated, loudmouthed fag.

playing as starting pg with the best frontline ever '98 thru '02 put up 5.9 assist per game, and about 8-9 ppg and his jersey is retired oh brother

son the Spurs retired his jersey???

poop
05-02-2010, 01:47 AM
son the Spurs retired his jersey???

yes. avery johnson hangs in the rafters meanwhile bruce bowen's sits on the ground.

BRHornet45
05-02-2010, 01:50 AM
yes. avery johnson hangs in the rafters meanwhile bruce bowen's sits on the ground.

wow ... no offense Spurs fans, but that is downright pathetic. I had no idea they retired his jersey. will they retire Bonner's too? obviously it doesn't take much.

DJ Mbenga
05-02-2010, 01:52 AM
wow ... no offense Spurs fans, but that is downright pathetic. I had no idea they retired his jersey. will they retire Bonner's too? obviously it doesn't take much.

i think they will go with roger mason first

Baseline
05-02-2010, 02:30 AM

BR, the truth is that Avery is the most overrated player ever to wear the silver and black. I cringed when he was on the court because he might actually have to shoot.

In my opinion he's a legend only because Robinson liked him, and because Popovich won't stop singing his praises. But most of that was a motivational tool for Parker's development. Parker was so talented that it had to get his goat every time Avery (so untalented) was mentioned.

Bottom line is that it's no secret Avery was a pretty average NBA player who was extremely fortunate to play with Robinson, and later with Duncan and Robinson.

poop
05-02-2010, 02:36 AM
BR, the truth is that Avery is the most overrated player ever to wear the silver and black. I cringed when he was on the court because he might actually have to shoot.

In my opinion he's a legend only because Robinson liked him, and because Popovich won't stop singing his praises. But most of that was a motivational tool for Parker's development. Parker was so talented that it had to get his goat every time Avery (so untalented) was mentioned.

Bottom line is that it's no secret Avery was a pretty average NBA player who was extremely fortunate to play with Robinson, and later with Duncan and Robinson.

x10000000000000

Pelicans78
05-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Avery to the Hornets is a bad fit.

Too many gutless pussies on that team that would tune him out within 5 games and get him fired.

Just like they quit on Scott in that pathetic 121-63 showing and cost him his job.

CP3-coach killer :td

Season ended in April.

Carlisle's about to get fired too. No one can coach Dirk and survive more than 2 years.

Capt Bringdown
05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
So that's what scraping the bottom of the barrel sounds like.

Red Hawk #21
05-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Please New Orleans, make Avery your coach. The day the Hornets make Avery their coach is the day that they'll be officially finished. God, I hope they do it.

duhoh
05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Please New Orleans, make Avery your coach. The day the Hornets make Avery their coach is the day that they'll be officially finished. God, I hope they do it.

they don't need avery to do that :downspin:

crc21209
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Avery to the Hornets sounds like his dream job...getting to coach his hometown team and a PG like Chris Paul..

sribb43
05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Avery should go to NJ to be with his son, Devin...the player he claims to have made

but honesty, NJ would be the best place. Owner with a shitload of money. Team has lots of capspace. No longer play in that dump known as the Izod Center ( moving to Prudential Center next year) moving to Brooklyn in a few years

Pelicans78
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
I really don't want Avery as our head coach. He's ok, but I think we can do better. My top three choices in this order are:

1) Jeff Van Gundy (good friends with our current GM)

2) Tom Thibodeau (Hornets were bottom 10 in defense this past season)

3) Tyrone Corbin (long-time player and long-time assistant. He's due)

So far we have 5 candidates in Avery, JVG, Thibodeau, Doug Collins (CP3's choice), and Mark Jackson.

50 cent
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
:lmao @ Momma there goes that man Mark Jackson".

Indazone
05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I really don't want Avery as our head coach. He's ok, but I think we can do better. My top three choices in this order are:

1) Jeff Van Gundy (good friends with our current GM)

2) Tom Thibodeau (Hornets were bottom 10 in defense this past season)

3) Tyrone Corbin (long-time player and long-time assistant. He's due)

So far we have 5 candidates in Avery, JVG, Thibodeau, Doug Collins (CP3's choice), and Mark Jackson.

Trust me, you do not want Jeff Van Stumpy. The worst little dictator in the NBA.

badfish22
05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Season ended in April.

Carlisle's about to get fired too. No one can coach Dirk and survive more than 2 years.

lol at taking the bait that even BR didn't bite on.

Pelicans78
05-02-2010, 04:18 PM
lol at taking the bait that even BR didn't bite on.

Ghazi's had free reign on the Hornets. Time for him to get his. He's run out of material. I'm just getting started.

BRHornet45
05-02-2010, 04:22 PM
sons I don't want that loud midget or Van Gundy. let me coach plz

Pelicans78
05-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Trust me, you do not want Jeff Van Stumpy. The worst little dictator in the NBA.

You could say the same thing about Avery.

I think JVG is better than Avery. JVG's a good coach. I don't think he will take the Hornets job, but he would do a good job. He was alot better in NY than he was in Houston. Don't know if you can blame him or Yao/T-Mac for the playoff failures. Probably a combo of both.

peskypesky
05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
props to Avery and i hope he gets a good coaching job. he got screwed by the Mavs.