PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle thinks the Mavs need another star

djohn2oo8
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Rick Carlisle (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Rick_Carlisle) is ready to push the mourning period out of his brain and his heart.
The too-soon ending to this season hurt, for sure. But this business waits for no one, and the Mavericks (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dallas_Mavericks) and their coach need to accelerate the process of looking forward.

There is much work to be done in a summer that will afford a rare opportunity to add elite talent to an admittedly older roster that already possesses a superstar in Dirk Nowitzki (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dirk_Nowitzki) and a point guard in Jason Kidd (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Jason_Kidd) that all players love to be on the floor with.

There are free-agent jackpots out there. And Carlisle believes it would be a mistake to sell the Mavericks short when it comes to owner Mark Cuban (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Mark_Cuban) and president Donnie Nelson angling for a big splash.

"Mark and Donnie would love to add another star to this roster to play with Dirk and Jason," Carlisle said Saturday. "Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? A lot of people would bet against us. But I wouldn't advise it.
"They're the best I've been around at finding opportunities. And they've been able to do things in a very expeditious manner."

As Nelson added: "You're never finished in this league. It's one constant state of upgrade." The top free-agent names are well-known, and two of them are no longer in the playoffs. Miami's Dwyane Wade (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dwyane_Wade) was knocked out in the first round, and Toronto's Chris Bosh (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Chris_Bosh) didn't make the postseason.
Last week, Bosh posted a question to fans on his Twitter (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Twitter_Inc) account asking whether he should stay or go in Toronto.

Having grown up in Dallas, Bosh may have a soft spot in his heart for the Mavericks. Free agents aren't allowed to start talking to teams until July 1. And players such as LeBron James (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/LeBron_James), Amare Stoudemire (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Amare_Stoudemire) and Joe Johnson (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Joe_Johnson) all are still competing in the playoffs. Their futures will hinge largely on how their teams do the rest of the postseason.

But that doesn't mean the generic sales pitch to free agents can't begin for the Mavericks, who do have lots to offer despite their disappointing end to this season.

"Great city, great franchise, great ownership," Carlisle said. "There's always going to be a high quality team here. Dirk and Jason Kidd being here is going to enhance the situation tremendously, because those are two guys that great players are going to want to play with, and there probably are a surprising number of NBA (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/National_Basketball_Association) players that view Dallas as a great city to live in.

"No state tax is huge because high-income free-agent types can save tons of money."
And then there's Carlisle, who qualifies as another selling point. He's a coach who has made the playoffs seven times in eight seasons with three different franchises.

And he has entrenched himself after two seasons with the Mavericks as something between a players' coach and a system coach. He isn't afraid to tell players things they may not want to hear. He doesn't take offense if they don't think he's their best friend.

But players respect that he has only one agenda: winning games.
"I thought the chemistry was actually really good," Nowitzki said. "The crew liked playing with each other. Sometimes we didn't know who was coming in. But that's Rick. We all know that. He usually says at the beginning of the season that he sometimes rolls with whatever's going. I think everybody knew what they were getting into."

Nowitzki has his own thoughts on what kind of players the Mavericks need to add this summer. "It wouldn't hurt, obviously, getting a player who can come in and do some damage and make plays off the dribble," Nowitzki said.

So has he thought about doing some recruiting? Does he have LeBron on speed dial?
"I haven't really thought about it that much," he said. "Didn't [commissioner David] Stern say it's illegal or something? I thought we just got a memo from the league.
"But you know, obviously, everyone's still in a playoff battle. So I'm going to leave that alone."
As for Cuban, he has said every off-season that the Mavericks will be opportunistic when it comes to adding talent. And this time around will be no different.
"It's going to be an interesting summer," he said

Dude is in denial, and no state income tax isn't the only reason a player would want to play in Texas

MateoNeygro
05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
They've always needed another star. Guess he didn't get the memo.

Giuseppe
05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
The whole thing is cockeyed. C'mon, Nelson's kid in there? Sure, it's quaint & cosmopolitan, but, it is also extremely reckless & needlessly foolish. Cuban is a screwball. Quit petitioning the NBA about everything, quit sitting behind the bench, and start acting like somebody. Quit running it like a lemonade stand and start running it as strictly a business.

Ghazi
05-02-2010, 09:37 AM
:tu

weebo
05-02-2010, 10:30 AM
which "superstar" free agent would want to come in and play second fiddle to dirk? i don't think playing with either dirk and kidd will have any consequence on who the mavs can land. most of these superstar's egos are the size the state of texas, and unless dirk is willing to defer, no one of the big fish will land in dallas.

Mel_13
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
"Mark and Donnie would love to add another star to this roster to play with Dirk and Jason," Carlisle said Saturday

I thought the big trade in February added a star to play with Dirk and Kidd.

scanry
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
start running it as strictly a business.

And professionally i might add. Cuban could learn a thing or two from Buss & Holt.

BTW the Mavs need to ship Donnie's ass out of Dallas. He should've been sacked a long time ago!!!

badfish22
05-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I thought the big trade in February added a star to play with Dirk and Kidd.

No one thinks Butler is a star (or Kidd for that matter) but he is a good player. But not in Carlisle mind. In Carlisle head Jet>Caron

MavDynasty
05-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Imo the Mavs with Caron have enough at the top of their rotation. They need to get players who can actually play worth a damn and hit timely shots( see Hill, McDyess,Fisher, etc.)

This team is still built around the jumpshot and the only ones who can take it to the hole are Dirk, a 5'6 midget, and an upcoming rookie with sky-high potential that the coach wont ever play.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
They have one. He is the one sitting on the bench all the time due to Carlisle's hatred of rookies.

Giuseppe
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
How long will Larry Brown put up with MJ sitting as the 15th man on the bench.:lol

We're top O' the world, Luva. Kickin' that Spurstalk ass, takin' names. You told me when I first came here that we'd own this joint one day, and by God you was right.

:ihit

D-Wade #3
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
http://image.blingee.com/images14/content/output/2007/9/19/247161424_0503e43e.gif

you're all up in Luva's ass worse than gerbils in Richard Gere's

badfish22
05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
They have one. He is the one sitting on the bench all the time due to Carlisle's hatred of rookies.

He won't be a rook next year. Since it seems Carlisle is staying he needs to focus on making a set rotation and sticking to it next year. It seemed like Rick played the season to win as many games as possible and Pop played it to set a rotation and get ready for the playoffs.

Lars
05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
If they can just get one more jump shooter.

Cane
05-02-2010, 02:40 PM
You still don't want to put too much faith that the rookie will turn out to be one of the better players in the NBA, but maybe he will be the next Aaron Brooks kind of guy. Definitely worth giving more minutes too though.

Still, Mavs definitely need to make significant roster changes. At this point everyone but Dirk should be considered expendable if they can get guys that can penetrate in the lane and defend against this elite era of guards. If they still have Kidd and Terry...then they need a roster where those guys can play fewer minutes in the regular season so they don't look like complete dog shit in the playoffs.

Cane
05-02-2010, 02:44 PM
And like everyone else in the league you need a frontcourt that can somehow compete with Odom/Bynum/Gasol, James/Jamison/bunch of roleplayers, or against Dwight Howard.

So that, and a competitive guard rotation, is what will get the Mavs back in....and it'd be awesome for them to have a star in either category.

Pelicans78
05-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Carlisle should have been fired after what happened against the Spurs. He didn't put his team in the best position to win and it cost them dearly.

Indazone
05-02-2010, 03:17 PM
They have all the firepower they need in Dampier, "The Second Best Center in the NBA". :lmao

badfish22
05-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Carlisle should have been fired after what happened against the Spurs. He didn't put his team in the best position to win and it cost them dearly.

If Avery gets a job elsewhere like it is rumored, Carlisle chances of being fired increase imo. Cuban doesn't want to have three coaches on payroll.

DPG21920
05-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Every team feels this way.

Gary Neville
05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Mavs don't need any more recruitment or shit. Trimming some retards the shit off seems to be the only thing they need, and Carlisle has to be the first on the leaching list.

Gary Neville
05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
If Avery gets a job elsewhere like it is rumored, Carlisle chances of being fired increase imo. Cuban doesn't want to have three coaches on payroll.

AJ will continue leeching money off Cuban's purse even if he's signed with Another NBA team, IMHO.

Rogue
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Imo the Mavs with Caron have enough at the top of their rotation. They need to get players who can actually play worth a damn and hit timely shots( see Hill, McDyess,Fisher, etc.)

This team is still built around the jumpshot and the only ones who can take it to the hole are Dirk, a 5'6 midget, and an upcoming rookie with sky-high potential that the coach wont ever play.

Even in this method, Mavs still look kinda paralyzed to me TBH. You're coaching a team built on jump shooting but you don't have someone who shoots 3-pointers legitimately and consistently. Dirk tends to attack the 3-sec zone more than ever. Nowadays Kidd is your best 3-point shooter and he does it well, but there really isn't anything else to expect from him at offense end except this and his branded assists. JET is inconsistent and Barea is too fucking short to take any chances to shoot in half-court offense, especially against Spurs and teams alike whose minds are defense orientated.

Spursfan092120
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
We're top O' the world, Luva. Kickin' that Spurstalk ass, takin' names. You told me when I first came here that we'd own this joint one day, and by God you was right.

:ihit
lol Cubby

DontStopBelieving
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I think every team in the NBA needs another star.

Rogue
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I think every team in the NBA needs another star.

yes that's true. But most teams don't have such big payrolls to afford another star that Mavs can comfortably absorb with their payroll which's nearly 100 million and that they managed to build in the past many years with Cuban's financial support.

SpursDynasty
05-02-2010, 11:00 PM
The Mavericks don't have any stars to start with

Killakobe81
05-02-2010, 11:51 PM
What's funy 2 me Cuban has his statistician that says Dirk is the best player in the NBA, and Kidd is better than Kobe ...

BUT when they flame out ...they redo the roster ...so why trust those BS stats? LOL

I have been defending Dirk too many Mavs fansn this weekend. Many want him gone ...

IMHO if Dirk was ever a #2 like Pau to Kobe or Pierceto KG he would be AMAZING ...

He is not a number 1 superstar like: Wade, Kobe, Lebron, KG Duncan but he IS on the same level with: Amare, Nash, Durant, Melo 2nd tier superstar.

Sportstudi
05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
which "superstar" free agent would want to come in and play second fiddle to dirk? i don't think playing with either dirk and kidd will have any consequence on who the mavs can land. most of these superstar's egos are the size the state of texas, and unless dirk is willing to defer, no one of the big fish will land in dallas.

Actually, I think you're wrong here. I'm sure Dirk has absolutely no problem to play the second fiddle if it helps the team. He's a team player, not an egocentric guy. Therefore, yes, I think Dirk doesn't mind at all to defer.