PDA

View Full Version : Karl has more complications in cancer recovery

duncan228
05-02-2010, 01:28 PM
:(

Karl has more complications in cancer recovery (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-karl)
By Arnie Stapleton

Nuggets coach George Karl has another blood clot in his right leg as he recovers from radiation and chemotherapy treatment for throat and neck cancer.

Karl’s partner, Kim Van Deraa, wrote on her blog this weekend that the 58-year-old coach was rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon with the clot. She said doctors were trying to determine the cause because Karl already is on blood-thinning medication.

Van Deraa also writes that doctors reinserted a filter into his abdomen. The filter had been removed two weeks ago.

The filter prevents the clots from traveling to his hart or lungs. It initially was inserted in March when Karl was first treated for blood clots.

Van Deraa and Karl, who are raising their 5-year-old daughter, Kaci, together, had been writing increasingly upbeat blog posts about Karl’s slow recovery from squamous cell carcinoma.

But the latest post said Karl mentioned his right big toe was hurting Friday and that it felt swollen, so Van Deraa called Karl’s doctor, who set up an ultrasound.

She wrote that “it turned out he has a blood clot in the same right leg so he was admitted to the hospital to break up the clot.”

Karl was diagnosed with cancer late last year and informed his players and the media after coaching the Western Conference in the All-Star Game in February. He began a grueling six-week treatment of radiation and chemotherapy that eventually sidelined him in mid-March.

He had hoped to return to coaching in the playoffs but his treatment caused him to lose 25 pounds along with his strength and stamina. His voice is a raspy whisper, his mouth full of sores and his neck red and tender from the radiation.

The Nuggets were 42-21 under Karl but went 12-12 under acting coach Adrian Dantley and were eliminated by the Utah Jazz in six games in the opening round of the playoffs.

Karl hopes to return to the Nuggets this summer so he can participate in the team’s busy offseason.

Owner Stan Kroenke said Karl’s health is the top priority now for the Nuggets, who degenerated from a championship contender to a dysfunctional squad during Karl’s absence.

TheManFromAcme
05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
That stinks. How much worse can it get for George? :depressed
Get better Coach.

duncan228
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Nuggets coach Karl remains hospitalized (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txnuggetskarl)

Nuggets coach George Karl remains hospitalized with complications from his battle with throat cancer.

Karl experienced swelling in his left knee while being treated for a blood clot in his right leg, Karl’s partner, Kim Van Deraa, told the team’s website Tuesday.

She said Karl, 58, probably won’t be released until Wednesday after doctors drained the knee and checked for infection.

Karl completed a six-week treatment of chemotherapy and radiation for throat and neck cancer a month ago. He’s been hospitalized twice for blood clots, the last time on Friday.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Dang-Nabbit...

Cancer and clots sux.

Get well coach.

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm beginning to think he's not going to be back coaching at least for a few years...but more than likely for good. It is a shame because he's been one of the long standing coaches in the NBA. Hopefully, though, he recovers and gets to see basketball again.

Fpoonsie
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah, this sucks. That SC segment when that one sportswriter watched the UTA/DEN game with Coach Karl was heartbreaking.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
:depressed

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
From personal experience (when my father was dying of cancer), the blood clots are not a good sign. Hopefully this isn't true for George and his family. It, however, takes me back to when this was happening to my pops.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 06:15 PM
From personal experience (when my father was dying of cancer), the blood clots are not a good sign. Hopefully this isn't true for George and his family. It, however, takes me back to when this was happening to my pops.

Man TGM, my hearfelt condolences for you. Cancer is such a demon. I saw what it did to my Aunt back in '08.

It especially kicks my butt when I see it in little kids.:depressed

I just hope and pray George somehow comes out of this like a Champion.

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Man TGM, my hearfelt condolences for you. Cancer is such a demon. I saw what it did to my Aunt back in '08.

It especially kicks my butt when I see it in little kids.:depressed

I just hope and pray George somehow comes out of this like a Champion.

My condolences for you about your aunt. It is a terrible thing to go through and the fact that if you take (I believe) 4 people one of the 4 will die from cancer and 3 of the 4 will have had/or at least have had a scare involving cancer...it is a terrible thing. I have a few enemies over the years, but I wouldn't even wish this upon them under any circumstances.

But yeah, I may loathe the Nuggets...I just don't want to see Karl go out like this.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 06:24 PM
My condolences for you about your aunt. It is a terrible thing to go through and the fact that if you take (I believe) 4 people one of the 4 will die from cancer and 3 of the 4 will have had/or at least have had a scare involving cancer...it is a terrible thing. I have a few enemies over the years, but I wouldn't even wish this upon them under any circumstances.

But yeah, I may loathe the Nuggets...I just don't want to see Karl go out like this.

Your right. For once, I am actually going for the Nuggets (Their coach that is) to win it all and beat this dreaded enemy of all of us....Cancer. Using that analogy, I want to see G.K. do a 3-peat.

Geroge needs to :ihit this.

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Your right. For once, I am actually going for the Nuggets (Their coach that is) to win it all and beat this dreaded enemy of all of us....Cancer. Using that analogy, I want to see G.K. do a 3-peat.

Geroge needs to :ihit this.

It also becomes more difficult to beat cancer the more you have to face it. I don't know the exact figures and I'm sure this isn't the section to put it in, but it becomes less and less likely to combat it when it reoccurs. But, I'm pulling for him to win this one.

Giuseppe
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I thought Karl a terrible coach. His cancer is tragic, but, it doesn't change his coaching competence.

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I thought Karl a terrible coach. His cancer is tragic, but, it doesn't change his coaching competence.

We saw what he was able to do with that headcase of a team in '09...and what Adrian Dantley couldn't do with that virtually same headcase of a team in '10. I'm not sure he's a legendary coach, but he's had success wherever he has coached.

Giuseppe
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
The '09 team self destructed just like the '10 team. It took longer, yes, but, the end result was the same. He never tooks steps twixt 9 & 10 to fix the problems. Karl just continued whistling past the graveyard which was willful and reckless of him.

san antonio spurs
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
WTF does that have to do with this thread?

I hope he gets well. It's a tough battle.

Giuseppe
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Somebody commented on his coaching prowess.

I agree, it has nothing to do with this thread. Keep it separate.

DJ Mbenga
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
if he doesnt retire if im the nuggets i force him to resign. his health is more important and he is nowhere near close to coaching