PDA

View Full Version : Dice's quickness on D

lefty
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Before signing Dice, guys like Odom and Dirk were matchup nightmares for the Spurs.

We all have seen the nice job he has done on Dirk in the 1st round, but remember the great job he has done on Odom this season, closing on him quickly, forcing him to step back on some plays.

He is exactly what we were missing

(But you have the right to disagree)

JsnSA
05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree that Dice has been playing some pretty good D on Dirk this last series. He is certainly experienced and is getting much more comfortable with the Spurs system and defensive rotations which allows him to respond faster.

Its just funny that you reference him being quick because I tend to think of him as slow as hell overall. For example, if a loose ball falls just outside his reach there is very little chance he will get to it before the opposing player does. He just does not have that sort of quickness in him anymore. Or if he does he is saving it for some other situation.

Cane
05-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Yea a huge improvement over having Bonner as a starter last year.

pjjrfan
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
he got to a lot of loose balls around the rim in the Mav's series and he kept another whole bunch alive. There were times when it seemed niether he nor Tim could get any rebounds, but for the four games they won he was active and a nuisance in the paint.

SPURSCHAMP
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
i think dice is a beast on the boards

Pistons < Spurs
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I think you're confusing his instincts and effort with any real 'quickness'. End result may be the same as far as him being able to impact the play, but like JsnSA I find him to be limited in the quickness department ... which worries me a bit against Phoenix.

lefty
05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree that Dice has been playing some pretty good D on Dirk this last series. He is certainly experienced and is getting much more comfortable with the Spurs system and defensive rotations which allows him to respond faster.

Its just funny that you reference him being quick because I tend to think of him as slow as hell overall. For example, if a loose ball falls just outside his reach there is very little chance he will get to it before the opposing player does. He just does not have that sort of quickness in him anymore. Or if he does he is saving it for some other situation.

I think you're confusing his instincts and effort with any real 'quickness'. End result may be the same as far as him being able to impact the play, but like JsnSA I find him to be limited in the quickness department ... which worries me a bit against Phoenix.
Good points

It has more to do with his instincts, which lead to efficient reflexes

Dex
05-02-2010, 05:30 PM

P<S nailed it.

Dice doesn't strike me as being particularly quick, although he's not as snail-paced as guys like Thomas were.

What he's lost in athleticism, he makes up with savvy and grit. He was hustling to stay in position and making crisp rotations, and was constantly getting into the personal space of Dirk (without fouling), bodying him up and making him fadeaway further on those jump shots then I think he prefers. Not to mention attacking the offensive glass for a number of tips, rebounds, and saves.

Compare that to a guy like Bonner, who has the length and the hustle, but was simply a red-headed traffic cone in the way of Nowitzki. He would usually stay in front of him and get a hand up, but without leaping at the shot or getting into the body of Nowitzki, it hardly deterred Dirk's shot one bit.

That's why I was mostly impressed with Dice's contributions against Dallas. They were born directly out of effort and veteran savvy, and that's exactly what we've been missing since Big Shot Rob retired.

eric365
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
He will also do an good job against amare IMO

The issue is the lakers. I don't think he will defend well against Gasol.

MaNu4Tres
05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
His defense on Dirk, Odom, Aldridge was noticeable earlier in the year.

From February 5th, 2010..

From what standpoint?

Blair needs to rotate a lot quicker from the weak side and become more aware on that end of the court. The Blazers' guards were just going straight to him off the pick and roll, where he was either late and out of position outside the circle, or he was late and had good position inside the circle.

All three of your suggested players had horrible and I mean horrible transition defense. I'm tempted to go back and watch the game because I guarantee you the Blazers scored at least 15-20 points off uncontested wide open opportunities in transition because our players lost their man or simply didn't communicate to pick up eachother's man in transition. All that takes is focus and energy. That's why it is so frustrating.

As for McDyess, I thought McDyess played great one on one defense on Aldridge. Aldridge just hit some really tough fade-aways and contested jumpers all game. I think McDyess is an under-rated one on one defender. He's defended Odom, Nowitzki and many other premiere power forwards quite well.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145929&highlight=McDyess%27+defense+Odom&page=4

Therefore his defense this past series didn't necessarily blindside me. He did a great job on Dirk.

Next up is another tough task....Amare

Only problem with Amare is he scores most of his points rolling to the basket. That's a whole different circumstance and a reason why I never understood how some analyst would say Amare takes Duncan to school, when the responsibility on stopping Amare is more on the team's overall defensive rotations opposed to any one individual.

silverblk mystix
05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
if you look at the last time the spurs played the lakers---and destroyed them---

it was RJ that was defending ODUMB---and he abused him too...

pop made a great adjustment

hope Dice can do a good job on Amare

8FOR!3
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Also, keep in mind what the thing about Nowitzki has always been; you can play great defense and he's still going to create a shot, shoot over you, and make a high percentage. You can say Dirk shot well for most of that series, McDyess must not have played that great of D, however, you have to factor that he was held to hardly any easy shots. Making tough turnaround fades is just what he's good at. The hand was always in his face and he was played very well by just about everybody that went up against him in that series. Granted, Bonner didn't do the best job in the world, but his D wasn't that bad. Not saying anybody's trying to argue with this, just posting an opinion.

TD 21
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Stoudemire will be a much tougher match-up for the Spurs and McDyess specifically, then Nowitzki was. That's because he's far more mobile and athletic and get's many of his points as a roll man. Whereas Nowitzki was often stationed around the pinch-post and McDyess could lock in on him and beat him up, he'll have a much more difficult time keeping a body on Stoudemire. If McDyess will have a difficult time in this match-up, then Bonner has absolutely no chance of containing the high-wire act of Stoudemire.

greyforest
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Dyess fits right in with the Spurs vets. Take all season off, show up for playoffs.

KenziE
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Dyess fits right in with the Spurs vets. Take all season off, show up for playoffs.

this

peskypesky
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM

i've been saying this all season. that Dice was pacing himself during the regular season, ensuring that he has something left in the tank for the playoffs. so far, so good.

jjktkk
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I think if the Spurs can make Amare work as hard as they made Dirk work then Amare will have a bad series. Dirk is just damn good at making impossible shots.

Amare can hit the outside jumper, but usually not when contested. IMO Dice will be able to D up Amare. Not shut em down, but make Amare work for his points.

Danny.Zhu
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Lamar is quicker than Dirk. So I think the matchup problem hasn't gone away this year.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Amare will be a tough assignment for Mcdyess. He doesn't settle for jumpers like Dirk. He will cause foul problems. The best way to deal with it is to score right back at them.

sananspursfan21
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Lamar is quicker than Dirk. So I think the matchup problem hasn't gone away this year.

it was evident that dice did well against odom, so your comment's a little irrelevant

Mr.Robinson
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Dirk is twice the player Odom is.

MI21
05-03-2010, 12:18 AM
The Spurs best defense against Amare has always been to get him in foul trouble on the other end. Dice at least has some strength to bother Amare, but Amare is way to quick for him.

Hopefully the Spurs can work some misdirection plays in to force Amare to guard Duncan every now and again. Blair, Jefferson, Ginobili, Parker and Hill all need to attack him aggressively to get him in foul trouble.

I would not be upset to see the guys attack him so much that they pick up a few offensive fouls because getting Amare in foul trouble is key to this series.

DesignatedT
05-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Spurs have always let amare get his and i don't expect much different this year.

SpurCharger
05-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Tha Amare Matchup Is Gonna Be alot Tougher To Handle then Dirk's....... Dirks Got Alot of 1 on 1, and Postups....... Amare Gets Alot of his Buckets on the move..... Nash And him work Really well On that Pick And roll.