PDA

View Full Version : Parker expects to come off bench against Suns.

spursfan1000
05-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Spurs point guard Tony Parker came off the bench in the team's first-round series against the Mavericks and expects to do the same in the second round against the Suns.

George Hill started for San Antonio against Dallas and head coach Gregg Popovich has been coy about his lineup heading into the semifinals.

"Some things remain the same," he said, "and some things change, because we're playing a different team."

Regardless, Parker expects his role to remain the same.

"I expect to come off the bench," Parker said Saturday. "It's been working well, and we did a good job against Dallas, so I don't think we're going to change our strategy."

Dex
05-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm okay with this.

I think Hill has shown both the offensive and defensive tenacity to challenge Nash. In fact, Hill may be able to challenge Nash with his length and defense even more than Parker could, and he got good practice going against Kidd. He needs to do the same things that he did in the last series, but realize that Nash is a much bigger offensive threat.

Meanwhile, I think Parker has the advantage over Dragic or a winded Nash, plus it still maintains the spark off the bench. It's important not to underestimate how vital in can be to have someone to come in and jump-start the team, or the offense, or the momentum. In those games where the Spurs come out lethargic, it's always comforting to know that if things don't start off right, you might be able to change the outlook of the game with your first sub.

If Parker moves to the starting lineup, I think you have to seriously consider moving Manu to the bench, and that's too big of a tremor in the rotation. Best to not fix what isn't broken at the moment, imo.

SPURSCHAMP
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
glad parker isnt pissed that george is starting over him

Cane
05-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Well if you watched Pop's interview on that shootaround thread; he said if they did make lineup changes he wouldn't make it known to the media. CIA Pop in effect.

Bukefal
05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
But why would it matter for him, because he still plays the same amount of minutes as before, maybe even more and he still can produce the same as before. So why would he be pissed. no reason to. The only thing that has been changed is the title, he is bench instead of starter. Big deal.

Muser
05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Good, don't change what's working.

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
glad parker isnt pissed that george is starting over him

Agree, I think it's for 2 main reasons..;

1/ He wants to win BADLY and would do anything it takes

2/ He doesn't see Hill as a "rival" or someone who could take his job (on the contrary of many SpursTalkers :lol)
George isn't a real PG (avg 0.7 ast/game against Mavs!), he just brings diff things than him...

IMO, Tony coming off the bench is more a "pragmatic" decision from Pop (do not change things that are working until you're proven wrong), I don't see Tony ending his Spurs "time" coming off the bench...

What's your "long term" opinion guys?

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
But why would it matter for him, because he still plays the same amount of minutes as before, maybe even more and he still can produce the same as before. So why would he be pissed. no reason to. The only thing that has been changed is the title, he is bench instead of starter. Big deal.

Because coming off the bench if WAY more different than what you think and what the stats show (PT)
You don't have time to "feel" the flow of the game, to choose whether you attack straight or distibute...

For example, you remember Tony often being VERY agressive in the opening quarter, taking advantage of the fact that the opposite team doesn't want to get in foul trouble too early...

NOW, whem he comes, he has to be a difference maker STRAIGHT!

+ He doesn't play with the same guys as often, playing in a unit with Bonner, Blair or any bench player is not the same that with Timmy...
Less assists, more attention...

Anyway, I see some advantages and disadvantages, but it's really NOT the same deal for him...

Remember Manu's first quotes years ago when he first came off the bench!
He explained that there was big differences and that he had to adapt his game/production...

m33p0
05-02-2010, 06:01 PM
it's a non-issue.

Cane
05-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Against the Suns the Spurs could play a three guard lineup out there at times with Manu, Hill, and Parker.

Bukefal
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
plus, he too is seeing that this is working for the team for now and he knows its pop's decision and he respects that. He takes it how it is. Parker is a good guy.

It wont stay like this forever, he knows it, it works for now

benefactor
05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
It's not even about Hill starting ahead of Parker. It's more about Manu starting and Parker coming off the bench.

BTW...I'm not saying this to stir up drama about one being better than the other. Both are equally important, it just happens to be the starting lineup that found the best chemistry.

Brazil
05-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Because coming off the bench if WAY more different than what you think and what the stats show (PT)
You don't have time to "feel" the flow of the game, to choose whether you attack straight or distibute...

For example, you remember Tony often being VERY agressive in the opening quarter, taking advantage of the fact that the opposite team doesn't want to get in foul trouble too early...

NOW, whem he comes, he has to be a difference maker STRAIGHT!

+ He doesn't play with the same guys as often, playing in a unit with Bonner, Blair or any bench player is not the same that with Timmy...
Less assists, more attention...

Anyway, I see some advantages and disadvantages, but it's really NOT the same deal for him...

Remember Manu's first quotes years ago when he first came off the bench!
He explained that there was big differences and that he had to adapt his game/production...

I agree its kinda different for him to play off the bench.

The other point is that the spurs have more weapons Offensively, TP is not forcing the things and let the others envolved. I haven't the stats but I can bet per 48 min he is taking much less FGAs than the previous years.

Manu is now the go to go guy of the team.

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
It's not even about Hill starting ahead of Parker. It's more about Manu starting and Parker coming off the bench.

BTW...I'm not saying this to stir up drama about one being better than the other. Both are equally important, it just happens to be the starting lineup that found the best chemistry.

:toast Exactly

Bukefal
05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Of course its different, and strange for him, but as for being pissed, no i dont think so, why would he.

PeterBurns
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Heard that Parker is not thrilled, but continues to warm up to the idea. Doesn't help when the French media is in his ear and they keep asking questions about why their star isn't starting.

He's playing clutch minutes. If he can continue to shelve the ego for the team, i'll completely change my mind on him. I think after 07, he turned into a bit of a primadonna

DAF86
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
And I expect him to be placed in the starting line-up if we get into a 0-2 hole. Maybe even after game 1 depending on how the game develops.

EricB
05-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Heard that Parker is not thrilled, but continues to warm up to the idea. Doesn't help when the French media is in his ear and they keep asking questions about why their star isn't starting.

He's playing clutch minutes. If he can continue to shelve the ego for the team, i'll completely change my mind on him. I think after 07, he turned into a bit of a primadonna

:lol epic fail

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Of course its different, and strange for him, but as for being pissed, no i dont think so, why would he.

He IS pissed! no doubt about that!

But he wants to win, he respect Pop's decisions, he is happy to have another effective weapon in the team in George...

He just doesn't say/show anything for the better of the team, props to him!

But I'm sure he is pissed or at least offended...

In a recent interview, he said his dad reminded him that it's a "what have you done lately for me?" business...
It show that he was expecting more conciderations from the FO/Fans/medias.. regarding what he has done/achieve over the last 9 years...

Anyway, either you like or dislike him (TP homers/haters :lol), you can only being impressed by his behavior, he is really a consumate professional/teamate/champion

By the way, I like the fact that he seems to go "under the radar" from most of the medias (expect K Smith on TNT), I ^redict a good series against the Suns for him!

mavsfan1000
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Parker would benefit more from starting against Nash as Dragic is a better defender off the bench. But the depth makes a difference and Hill can still score. Just in different ways.

sonic21
05-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Parker is pissed, he even said he will play this summer if he's not starting soon.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Parker is pissed, he even said he will play this summer if he's not starting soon.
The team gels better with George Hill as the starter as the ball goes through Manu more and George Hill spreads the floor better. Parker needs to understand why him coming off the bench for instant offense would make this team better than wasting away possessions that could hurt Manu's rhythm as well as spacing as Parker is not a reliable 3 point shooter.

Bukefal
05-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Where and when did he say that?

Anyway, of course its not nice to hear you arent starting and its different but no, i dont think he is really pissed. Because he is seeing its working for now, he knows its pop decision, they know eachother, he respects it, he wants what's good for the team, tony understands that. And he knows its not for ever going to be like this.

spursfan09
05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I have a feeling Parker woould play for the national team no matter if he starts or not

Juanobili
05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I heard him say "I'll do whatever Pop wants to win" with my own ears

so I hope Tony really means it

spursfan09
05-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Also what worked against the Mavs may not work against the Suns. We'll see how things end up.

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 06:49 PM

:lol

can't imaging him saying that PUBLICLY...

Cant_Be_Faded
05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't think Hill will be as successful defensively on Nash as some here seem to think is a given.

Hill has trouble guarding
1) very fast players that are his height or shorter

2) very good dribbler/passers

I think Hill is just a wetdream matchup for us against the Mavs. Kidd fits number (2) but he's lost so much of a step that it was the exception.

Nash is so crafty with his dribble, and has so many athletic wingmen (much more suited to running than Mavs wingmen) that Hill could actually end up being totally abused. This means foul trouble.
That means RMJ or Bogans. :(

I think Parker is the man for the job against Nash.
Also I do not want Hill guarding Barbosa, as he fits (1). He'll get abused and into foul trouble like no other.

Parker is going to have to be the man this series. I want him guarding the ball, and Barbossa.
But what really presents a problem is that means Hill might end up guarding Grant Hill or Jason Richardson. Richardson would be a nightmare cover for him too because he's just so damn strong. Foul trouble awaits there.

Grant Hill would be a tough cover as well because of his ability to post up.

More and more I think about it, the series is going to be extremely difficult from a defensive perspective.

We might very well be encountering a team in which Hill does not matchup well against at all.

One silver lining is that while Hill was abused by little JJJJJJ.J. Barrea, he did not foul him too stupidly. We will need that for sure going forward.

superbigtime
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I would like to see Tony start and Manu to come off the bench. Tony relishes his matchup with Nash and usually outplays him. At some point Pop will start Tony but it will take a couple of losses for that to occur.

Pauleta14
05-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I would like to see Tony start and Manu to come off the bench. Tony relishes his matchup with Nash and usually outplays him. At some point Pop will start Tony but it will take a couple of losses for that to occur.

Me too!

But it won't happen until Hill get blown from the start by Nash, and I don't wanna see that happen...

If we are O-2 coming home, I think Pop will do it...

raspsa
05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Tony has the most experience guarding Nash so it makes sense for TP to guard Nash. GHill's defense is still a work-in-progress. As he gains more familiarity defending Nash, I see no reaon why he can't have some some success. He should be watching a lot of Bowen vs. Nash videos and the team defense will also have to kick in and help out. I think at this point GHill's offensive game is more developed and visible than his defensive game. There's just a learning curve he has to go through and He has proven to be a quick study, right?

Brazil
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
:lol

can't imaging him saying that PUBLICLY...

I think Sonic was joking around

da_suns_fan
05-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Interesting. That means Dragic will probably see a lot of time on Parker or he'll be guarded by Grant Hill.

Dalamar_the_Dark
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
George Hill starting is the right move against the Suns. He will guard Nash. Book it.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
George Hill starting is the right move against the Suns. He will guard Nash. Book it.
It's the right move against everyone imo.

Spursfanfromafar
05-03-2010, 12:25 AM
If Manu starts, it is obvious that TP should anchor the second unit. I dont' think Hill is a better ball handler than TP, enough to take charge of the second unit. When TP comes from the bench, there is a seamless transition from Manu to TP in the late first- second quarters. Of course, TP will most likely be on the court when the Spurs finish.

Spursfanfromafar
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
I don't think Hill will be as successful defensively on Nash as some here seem to think is a given.

Hill has trouble guarding
1) very fast players that are his height or shorter

2) very good dribbler/passers

I think Hill is just a wetdream matchup for us against the Mavs. Kidd fits number (2) but he's lost so much of a step that it was the exception.

Nash is so crafty with his dribble, and has so many athletic wingmen (much more suited to running than Mavs wingmen) that Hill could actually end up being totally abused. This means foul trouble.
That means RMJ or Bogans. :(

I think Parker is the man for the job against Nash.
Also I do not want Hill guarding Barbosa, as he fits (1). He'll get abused and into foul trouble like no other.

Parker is going to have to be the man this series. I want him guarding the ball, and Barbossa.
But what really presents a problem is that means Hill might end up guarding Grant Hill or Jason Richardson. Richardson would be a nightmare cover for him too because he's just so damn strong. Foul trouble awaits there.

Grant Hill would be a tough cover as well because of his ability to post up.

More and more I think about it, the series is going to be extremely difficult from a defensive perspective.

We might very well be encountering a team in which Hill does not matchup well against at all.

One silver lining is that while Hill was abused by little JJJJJJ.J. Barrea, he did not foul him too stupidly. We will need that for sure going forward.

I think that RJ will guard JR, Manu will guard GH and Hill/TP will take turns against Nash/Dragic.

stéphane
05-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Against the suns, starting Tony or not is a tough call. On one hand you have the Mavs series that tells that he's effective off the bench and Hill's doing well whenever he's teamed with Manu or Tony and on the other hand Tony has an history of being able to elevate his game against Steve Nash even when he was playing MVP ball and I'm not sure that Georges would be suited best to defend on Nash.
All in all, I would try to bring Tony off the bench in game 1 but I would put Manu or Tony on Nash on D.

Bob Lanier
05-03-2010, 04:04 AM
A three guard lineup would work well against Nash/Richardson/Hill. I do not like the idea of Dick playing the Suns; he will probably score well, but what he'll do to the pace of the game will be mostly in the Suns' favor.

ClingingMars
05-03-2010, 04:13 AM
I think he will look at what happened in 2007 when Manu came off the bench and realize this is for the best.

I do wish we could sign Bruce to a series contract.

05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
hill is going to get slaughtered by the nash-amare pick and roll. hill sucks at fighting through screens so he will have to switch onto amare every single time. i predict parker to regain his starting spot if the suns keep exploiting hill's weakness.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Dude I was right Hill can't guard anyone effectively and he's letting that affect his offensive and team-defense game.

Not attacking Nash. Not watching the ball on team D.

Sucks.