PDA

View Full Version : Replace Gasol with Duncan on the Spurs.....

An Unbiased Fan
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
How would that change things?

Old man Duncan goes to LA, Gasol goes to SA. Who wins the West? Who wins the title?

ChrisRichards
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
then spurs will beat the lakers

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
hacka duncan my friend....spurs win cause GHILL3 > kome

SpurCharger
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Blast me All You Want, But Gasol Will Never Be Tim Duncan! Gasol Is A Good Player, But Has Nothing on Tim.

lefty
05-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Duncan : GOAT

Gasol: al-star PF, but that's it

spursfan1000
05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Lakers would win championship...but they won't this year with Gasol unless NBA takes back trade deadline and Spurs trade Duncan for Gasol :lol

Andrew Bynum
05-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Duncan : GOAT

Gasol: al-star PF, but that's it

Overall, but today

Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>Duncan

lefty
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Overall, but today

Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>Duncan
Yep, but that'S because Gasol is healthier

Don't get me wrong though, Gasol is a heck of a player

DJ Mbenga
05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
george hill is the GOAT. it doesnt matter

Andrew Bynum
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Yep, but that'S because Gasol is healthier

Don't get me wrong though, Gasol is a heck of a player

Exactly. Duncan is over the hill, Pau is in his prime.

DontStopBelieving
05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Over the hill Duncan>Pau in his prime.

The Lakers would win the championship and quite possibly sweep the Spurs in the WCF.

Pau simply will never be on the same level as Duncan

Rogue
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
With Duncan superseding Pau I'd say the Lakers will start rebuilding soonly. Kobe can't be accommodated with another Superstar, see what happened to him&O'Neal?

namlook
05-02-2010, 07:59 PM
With Duncan superseding Pau I'd say the Lakers will start rebuilding soonly. Kobe can't be accommodated with another Superstar, see what happened to him&O'Neal?

Kobe and Shaq were both type A personalities. Gasol and Duncan don't have that type of dominant personality. Kobe and Duncan would have coexisted just fine.

Rogue
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Kobe and Shaq were both type A personalities. Gasol and Duncan don't have that type of dominant personality. Kobe and Duncan would have coexisted just fine.

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/2/w/2wiu5omrfkh55um2.jpg

Johnny RIngo
05-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Overall, but today

Gasol>>>>>>>>>>>Duncan

Even with Gasol in his prime he barely matches up with an "over-the-hill" Duncan:

Gasol's eff was 25.9(5th in the league). Duncan's eff was 23.4(12th in the league.

Duncan's PER was 24.7(5th in the league). Gasol's was 22.9(9th in the league)

82games.com says Duncan had a SRS of +9.8. Gasol was at +7.1.

Gasol and Duncan both had the same number of win shares(both ranked 7th and 8th in the league respectively).

Duncan had 4.5 defensive win shares(ranked 12th in the league). Gasol had 4.3(ranked 15th). Almost the same here too.

Duncan had a defensive rating of 102(ranked 10th). Gasol was at 103(ranked 14th)

Duncan had 24 pts per 48 Minutes of Clutch Time(4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points)
PGasol had 17 pts per 48 Minutes of Clutch Time

The only clear-cut advantage Gasol has is his endurance which allows him to play more minutes. Besides that, his production is mostly the same as Duncan's(worse in some cases).

xellos88330
05-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Should have seen him in the Detroit series in game 5. Told Bowen to move a little out of the corner and be ready for the pass out. Bowen said why he was in the corner and then Duncan replies... "I don't give a fuck!" Bowen listens to Tim and then Bowen gets a wide open 3.

Just because Duncan doesn't openly blast his team for making him look bad doesn't mean he isn't a dominant personality. It comes out when it matters.

mystargtr34
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
To me, they are about a wash at this stage in their careers. Lets not look at the first round numbers and get carried away with any Gasol >> Duncan talk. Gasol was up against Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic, while Duncan was going at Dampier and Haywood. Numbers were pretty identical, but i thought Gasol had the biggest impact in his series, while Duncan was behind Dirk and Manu.

Anyway, to answer the question, i think it would remain pretty much the way it is now. Lakers win in about 6, too much size with Bynum, Duncan and Odom going up against Gasol.

mystargtr34
05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Thats not to say i dont think the current Spurs can beat the Lakers in a series. I think they can, but it would be an upset.

SomeCallMeTim
05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Even with Gasol in his prime he barely matches up with an "over-the-hill" Duncan:

Gasol's eff was 25.9(5th in the league). Duncan's eff was 23.4(12th in the league.

Duncan's PER was 24.7(5th in the league). Gasol's was 22.9(9th in the league)

82games.com says Duncan had a SRS of +9.8. Gasol was at +7.1.

Gasol and Duncan both had the same number of win shares(both ranked 7th and 8th in the league respectively).

Duncan had 4.5 defensive win shares(ranked 12th in the league). Gasol had 4.3(ranked 15th). Almost the same here too.

Duncan had a defensive rating of 102(ranked 10th). Gasol was at 103(ranked 14th)

Duncan had 24 pts per 48 Minutes of Clutch Time(4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points)
PGasol had 17 pts per 48 Minutes of Clutch Time

The only clear-cut advantage Gasol has is his endurance which allows him to play more minutes. Besides that, his production is mostly the same as Duncan's(worse in some cases).

That doesn't look like "barely matches up with," that looks like "completely matches up with, they are siamese-twins similar" to me. Which pretty much squares with what my eyes tell me.

And of course "over-the-hill" is dubious for Duncan, he was having a Renaissance season til he came back to earth a bit over the final months. Still a great, great player.

So's Gasol.

I think trading them would do little to affect the fortunes of either team. They're essentially the same player at this point.

SomeCallMeTim
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Agreed. Duncan and Gasol both have very team-friendly attitudes... Pau works great with Kobe and I suspect Duncan would as well.

Ghazi
05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
hhmm, I think LA wins the West but would still probably be inferior to Cleveland and Orlando

Muser
05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Lakers in a sweep, Spurs would have Gasol/McDyess/Blair/Bonner protecting the paint.