PDA

View Full Version : South Korea Files Protest in Mens Gymnastic All Around

iminlakerland
08-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/gymnastics/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpY29qbG50BF9TAzk2NjcyOTgwBHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-scoringprotestgym&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Gymnastics federation reviewing protest of all-around final

August 20, 2004

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- The International Gymnastics Federation met Friday to review South Korea's protest of the score for Yang Tae-young in the all-around that left him with the bronze medal and gave American Paul Hamm the gold.

No matter what the result, though, scores cannot be reversed and Hamm's medal cannot be taken away, FIG spokesman Philippe Silacci said. He said FIG officials were reviewing tapes from Wednesday's all-around to determine whether judges should be sanctioned.

Silacci said he expected a decision to be announced Saturday.

Hamm won Wednesday night's meet with a score of 57.823, 0.012 points better than South Korea's Kim Dae-eun in the closest all-around finish in Olympic history. Yang finished third with a score of 57.774.

South Korea's gymnastics federation complained because Yang's parallel bars routine received a start value of 10 in team preliminaries and finals, but only a 9.9 for the same set in the all-around.

Had Yang received the extra tenth of a point, he would have finished first.

``Judges can make mistakes. That's human,'' Silacci said. ``But it's like football. They cannot change the score once the game is over.''

Silacci said reviews like this normally come weeks or months after the competition. But this ``extraordinary meeting'' was being held quickly so that, if needed, judges could be sanctioned before Monday's parallel bars event final.

The rules give countries the chance to make inquiries about scoring decisions, but those inquiries can only result in a changed score if they're put in before the following rotation is over.

``If you don't take advantage of that opportunity, then you lose that opportunity,'' said USA Gymnastics president Bob Colarossi.

Hamm fell on the vault in Wednesday's all-around and scored a 9.137 that dropped him to 12th place, seemingly out of the running. He closed with a pair of 9.837s on parallel bars and high bar, and when several other gymnasts faltered, he won the gold medal.

Afterward, Romanians Ioan Suciu said ``the USA got something more than it deserved.''

When asked about the scoring the next day, Hamm said he felt everything was fair.

``I feel like I just barely edged them out,'' he said. ``If you go back and look at the tapes, people can analyze it, and they'll all come to that conclusion, I think.''

Yang scored a 9.712 on parallel bars. He closed the meet with a 9.475 on high bar. That was his lowest-scoring event.

At the medalists' news conference Wednesday, Yang was asked about the close result and the judging.

``What's done is done,'' he said. ``I got this result because of my own mistake, so I should not complain. I must accept the outcome.''

Updated on Friday, Aug 20, 2004 1:40 pm EDT

SAmikeyp
08-21-2004, 04:22 AM
sore fucking losers. If we filed a protest, we would be labeled as sore losers and whiny. Screw them. You lost, deal.

T Park Num 9
08-21-2004, 04:35 AM
whaaaaa whaaaaaa.

Grow up Korea. You lost, Hamm rules, goodnight now.

:next3

MannyIsGod
08-21-2004, 04:42 AM
i think the koreans got screwed.

Hook Dem
08-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Another solid stance against America huh manny?

spurster
08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Hamm fell down on his butt. I'm sorry, but he didn't deserve to be champion. Now the women's champion Patterson was great; she didn't make any major mistakes.

Jimcs50
08-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Damn right...sore losers...it is not like there was a slow starting clock or something. :angel

T Park Num 9
08-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Spurster,

he won, get over it.

Not suprising Manny would side with Koreans over Americans.

Why should you be suprised Hook em?

bigzak25
08-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Yang was asked about the close result and the judging.

``What's done is done,'' he said. ``I got this result because of my own mistake, so I should not complain. I must accept the outcome.''

Yang sure doesn't sound like a sore loser to me....I would want the best to win the Gold. It's unfortunate to have this happen. It's easy to say on a message board for them to stop whining....you guys weren't the ones training for years...

I want Team USA to win all the Gold's, but damn it, it has to be fair.

IcemanCometh
08-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Its about fairnes you moron

MannyIsGod
08-21-2004, 03:10 PM
tpark,

did you watch the competition/

i said with fairness. i root for americans but i don't want cheap golds that shouldn't be had.

SpursWoman
08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
P. Hamm Should Not Have Won Gymnastics Gold

Three Judges Suspended for Giving Wrong Scores to South Korean

ATHENS, Greece (Aug. 21) -- Paul Hamm's gold medal just lost its luster.

A scoring mistake at the all-around gymnastics final cost Yang Tae-young the gold that ended up going to Hamm, the International Gymnastics Federation ruled Saturday. The South Korean got the bronze instead.

Three judges were suspended, but the results will not be changed, the federation said. The South Korean Olympic team will ask the Court of Arbitration for Sports to determine if Yang deserves a gold medal.

"We want obvious mistakes to be corrected," said Jae Soon-yoo, an official with the South Korean delegation.

The error Wednesday cost Yang a tenth of a point on his parallel bars score that made the difference between third and first.

South Korea failed to lodge a protest during the event, so the scoring was not changed, said the federation, known as FIG. The South Koreans, however, said they did question the scoring as soon as the routine was over and were told by the judges to file a protest letter after the meet, Jae said.

If the mistake hadn't been made, Hamm would have won the silver and South Korea's Kim Dae-eun would have received the bronze instead of silver.

USA Gymnastics president Bob Colarossi compared the mistake to a bad call in football that wasn't discovered until after the game. He insisted the decision by gymnastics' governing body should not put an asterisk on Hamm's gold medal.

Hamm scored 9.837 on parallel bars and high bar to close the meet, rallying from 12th place to first and becoming the first American man to win the event.

"Paul Hamm's performance the other night was absolutely incredible," Colarossi said. "It's unfortunate the judges didn't have the right start value."

A start value is based on the difficulty of the routine. Yang received a start value of 9.9 on parallel bars, a tenth lower than he got for the same routine in team qualifying and finals.

After reviewing a tape of the all-around, federation officials determined Yang should have been awarded a start value of 10. With the extra 0.10, he would have finished with 57.874 points and defeated Hamm by 0.051.

Matthieu Reeb, general secretary of CAS, talked to the South Korean team about an appeal and expected it to be filed by Sunday. Still, he said it was unclear whether the court would hear the case.

"Our regular practice is that field of play decisions cannot be reviewed by CAS," Reeb said. "We'll see if the Korean delegation has other legal arguments to submit to the court. We haven't had a similar case involving a problem of judging or scoring."

Hamm, practicing Saturday for event finals, was not available for comment. He was asked Thursday about the judging and his close victory.

"I feel like I just barely edged them out," he said. "If you go back and look at the tapes, people can analyze it, and they'll all come to that conclusion, I think."

The case brought back memories of the figure skating scandal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. A French judge said she was pressured by her federation's chief to favor the Russians in pairs over the Canadians. Jamie Sale and David Pelletier of Canada were ultimately awarded duplicate golds.

In Athens, however, there were no signs of impropriety. The scoring error was made with one event left, and there was no way the judges could have known the significance of reducing Yang's start value on the parallel bars.

In another case at the 2002 Games, South Koreans fumed when short track speed skater Kim Dong-sung was disqualified in the 1,500-meter race, allowing American Apolo Anton Ohno to win the gold.

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director for the Olympics, said the IOC had not been approached by the South Koreans or gymnastics officials. He said the figure skating case bore little resemblance to this one.

"In Salt Lake City it was a decision from the federation to change the ruling," he said. "The IOC never changed any results on its own. It's up to the federation if they feel the need to change something. It has to come from the federation."

Felli said the IOC would only consider changing results on its own "if there is an obvious manipulation, not a human mistake in judging."

Hamm won the meet over Kim by 0.012 in the closest men's all-around in Olympic history. Yang was 0.049 behind Hamm.

The South Korean delegation asked for a review of the scoring after the meet, and the gymnastics federation's executive committee met Friday to look at the tapes.

Messages left for the South Korean delegation by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

A news release announcing the federation's decision said the rules "do not allow for a protest against judges' marks. The judges' marks have to be accepted as a final decision and cannot be changed."

Still, the suspensions were necessary to protect the integrity of the organization and "maintain and ensure the highest possible judging standard at the Olympic Games," the group said.

The federation did not release the names of the suspended judges, who will not be on the panel for event finals.

But Spain's Benjamin Bango and Columbia's Oscar Buitrago Reyes were responsible for determining the start values. America's George Beckstead was the panel chairman, and therefore had ultimate responsibility for all the judges. But because the other judges agreed on the 9.9 start value, Beckstead would have had no cause to step in.

Countries can complain about the scoring but only before the following rotation is over. After that, scores cannot be changed.

"Judges can make mistakes. That's human," federation spokesman Phillipe Silacci said Friday. "But it's like football. They cannot change the score once the game is over."

08/21/04 11:31 EDT

MannyIsGod
08-21-2004, 06:19 PM
so **** you guys that gave me shit.

:served :flipoff

Guru of Nothing
08-22-2004, 12:05 AM
sore fucking losers. If we filed a protest, we would be labeled as sore losers and whiny. Screw them. You lost, deal.

And yet, somehow you are sore and whiny.

If he earned the gold medal, I say give it to him.

No emotion required.

SAmikeyp
08-22-2004, 01:45 AM
I am not sore or whiny. :flipoff
I posted that last night before there was evidence to the contrary. Now that their is, Hamm should give the medal back.

Tommy Duncan
08-22-2004, 01:53 AM
That sucks. The US has been on the receiving end of poor Olympic officiating in the past. Famously in 1972.

It's not exactly something to gloat about, I would think.

MannyIsGod
08-22-2004, 01:56 AM
i honestly wish paul woudl come forward and give the medalto the korean. what kind of a person wants to win on a technicality and not on merit/

****, there's me being anti american again, someone deport me.

Whottt
08-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Everyone is questioning Hamm's sportsmanship...what about the Koreans? They define sore loser.

You guys do realize that the guy who won the silver, also a South Korean, is fucking his own teamate as well...I mean the guy that got screwed was the bronze medalist...do you hear his own teamate offering up his Silver since he also fucked the guy that won Bronze?

Hamm didn't **** up and cause them to lose the gold medal. He didn't even expect to win it. The judges fucked the Koreans......and the Koreans own ingorance of the rules lead to them not winning the gold as well.

By the rules Hamm is the Gold medalist...the Koreans are the ones wanting the rules changed to suit them...if they wanted to protest the low score, they should have done so at the time it was given, not after Hamm won the gold. Those are the rules.

In any case, if Hamm does give the Gold Medal to the guy who won the bronze...

The Silver medalist Korean should give Hamm that medal, since Hamm did win the Silver fair and square..and that Silver medalist should take his teamates bronze...I wouldn't count on him being willing to do that.

**** the Koreans anyway...they whine like bitches every time they lose out on a gold.

I've seen the Americans get fucked out of gold countless times in the Olympics...I remember one time a Russian Chick fell on her ass during figure skating and still won the Gold.

All those judges lowball the shit out of the Americans anyway. That Bronze medalist is actually lucky he got the bronze...the judges royally fucked the 4th place American...gave him a 91 on what was a flawless steel rings routine.

Whottt
08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Sportsmanship would also dictate that most people would realize that that contest would not have even been close if not for a fluke fall by the reigning world champion on the vault..something he makes 9 times out of 10.

But no, the Koreans wanted to whine and bitch and get technical about things...and they got fucked on a technicality...their own doing that they didn't use the proper protocol for challenging that score.

Hopefully Hamm will whip their asses in the individual routines and win a couple of more golds just to say **** you Korea.

I've read the comments from their fans about how they hate American and then I think about all the Americans that died keeping their piece of shit country from becoming part of China...how they want us gone...they need to take it up with their own government...since we are there because their governemnt wants us there to protect their worthless asses from North Korea.

**** the haters.

Hook Dem
08-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Did the Lakers come forward to give back the win in that .4 second miracle? The world was able to see that it was impossible and yet it was a victory for the Lakers. Once a score is final, you are going uphill trying to change it. Would the Spurs have kept the victory if the situation was reversed? Absolutely! Just something to think about.