View Full Version : Bosh will be key piece of Rockets' puzzle

Kai
05-03-2010, 01:57 AM
No beating around the Bosh
By RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
May 1, 2010, 11:36PM

http://www.chron.com/photos/2010/03/30/21475886/260xStory.jpg

Chris Bosh will open his front door at 12:01 a.m. July 1 and see a smiling Daryl Morey standing between Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming.

How's that for a first impression?

Morey will have a bag of other goodies, including a video showing off Houston and a testimonial from Rockets season-ticket holder Andre Johnson urging Bosh to join him in Clutch City.

There will be hundreds of Facebook and Twitter posts from fans, a Rockets jersey with Bosh's name on it and — I almost forgot this teensy-weensy part of the presentation — a contract worth $120 million.

At least, this is how it might go. The Rockets haven't decided who will accompany Morey to the presentation, but they have spent the last few weeks discussing how best to persuade him.

Here's guessing Rockets owner Leslie Alexander appeals to Dream and Yao to be part of the recruiting process and that they both agree.

At the heart of the issue is, first, persuading Bosh to play for the Rockets. If they're able to do that, everything else almost certainly will fall into place. That's why the Rockets are spending so much time and energy coming up with the right recruiting pitch.

What could be better than having this city's greatest professional athlete standing with one of the NBA players every other NBA player would love to play with?

Yao represents what the Rockets want to be about. He's a great teammate, a great person, someone who personifies everything Alexander believes his franchise should be about.

The Rockets are convinced Yao will resume his career next season. They're not sure how many minutes he'll play or what level he'll be at in the beginning.

The sales pitch

But they're confident his surgically repaired foot will hold up, and when Bosh stands there and looks up at Yao on July 1, he just might think playing with someone capable of sharing the load is a good idea.

And when Yao isn't on the floor, the Rockets want Bosh to know they're going to play fast, have fun and win.

They'll let him know there's no better coach to play for than Rick Adelman, and hope that when Bosh begins measuring other NBA franchises against the Rockets, he'll find there's no better owner than Alexander and no better general manager than Morey.

If Bosh wants a place where he can live comfortably, raise a family and call home, and if he wants a franchise that attempts to do everything right, he might just shake Yao's hand that night and say, “See you at training camp.”

He'll have options. The Bulls, Knicks, Nets and Heat probably will make offers. The Mavericks and Lakers might be in the mix as well.

What might separate the Rockets from those other teams is that Bosh is their first choice. Everything they hope to accomplish this offseason begins with the acquisition of Bosh.

There's no, “If LeBron says no, we'll be in touch,” or “Let us get back to you after we hear from Dwyane Wade.”

The Rockets believe putting Bosh beside Yao would give them the corner-stone of a team capable of winning a championship. And if the worst happened, and if Yao was injured again, the 6-10 Bosh would give them the low-post presence they don't have.

A rare breed

He's 26 years old and has averaged 20 points and 9.4 rebounds for his seven-year career. He's coming off a season in which he averaged 24 points and 10.8 rebounds.

(Zach Randolph and David Lee were the only other 20-and-10 NBA players this season. Yao has averaged 19.7 and 9.9 for his career.)

The Knicks and Nets are believed to be targeting LeBron James and perhaps Wade. If James re-signs with the Cavaliers before July 1, the New York teams will be focused on Bosh.

The Bulls are believed to be targeting Wade. The Heat could be mapping out a plan to have both Wade and James. Only one team is likely to have Bosh atop their list.

The Rockets can offer something else: The chance to win quickly. As attractive as New York might be, the Knicks and Nets have miles to go. The Bulls and Heat were playoff teams, but Bosh won't be their top priority.

The Rockets would have to surrender a package of draft choices and players to get him, but Morey has shown he can build a roster quickly and without mega-resources.

Bosh and Yao represent a foundation to build around. The Bulls and Heat do have the salary-cap space to sign Bosh. However, he'd have to take $30 million less to sign with any team except Toronto.

That's why Morey spent the past year acquiring talented younger players and an additional first-round draft pick. From the moment he learned he wouldn't have Yao last season, Morey began preparing for this summer's pitch to Bosh — and to the Raptors.

Ducks in a row

Nine of the NBA's last 11 max-contract free agents switched teams through sign-and-trade deals. So while Morey's first priority will be persuading Bosh to play for the Rockets, his other will be making a deal with Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo.

There seems little doubt around the NBA that financial issues will force the Raptors to trade Bosh.

If Bosh tells the Raptors he wants to play for the Rockets, the Raptors will make it happen. First, though, he has to decide, and that's why spending these next few weeks preparing for that first handshake is important.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6985746.html

noob cake
05-03-2010, 03:39 AM
Nine of the NBA's last 11 max-contract free agents switched teams through sign-and-trade deals. So while Morey's first priority will be persuading Bosh to play for the Rockets, his other will be making a deal with Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo.

/gg, Morey is God

Bob Lanier
05-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Chris Bosh will open his front door at 12:01 a.m. July 1 and see a smiling Daryl Morey standing between Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming.

How's that for a first impression?

Morey will have a bag of other goodies, including a video showing off Houston and a testimonial from Rockets season-ticket holder Andre Johnson urging Bosh to join him in Clutch City.

There will be hundreds of Facebook and Twitter posts from fans, a Rockets jersey with Bosh's name on it and — I almost forgot this teensy-weensy part of the presentation — a contract worth $120 million.
It's kinda creepy how the recruitment process goes these days.

If I were a player I think I'd prefer my agent collect the offers and give me a call to mention the dollar figures and nothing else at brunch, around 11 in the morning, after a good night's sleep and no weird-ass late night visitors.

05-03-2010, 04:11 AM
rockets are still crippled by yao's contract. what will happen if yao goes down again? bosh and martin aren't exactly the two knockout punches the rockets can deliver. and i'm pretty sure the bulls and heat will have bosh as their top priority, especially if wade stays with miami.

Muser
05-03-2010, 04:13 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

boston.balla
05-03-2010, 05:43 AM
if rockets use their pick well ( and they generally do so) they will have ALOT of depth. The draft seems to be filled with decent role players at least.

And I see bosh going there. Don't know about the sign and trade, if it happens and for what pieces but morey has a history :lol

Yao/bosh/hill/scola is a contender frontline. Add to that brooks, budinger, hayes, lowry and other very cheap good/decent players .. houston's quite alluring. Add to that the fact that bosh is from texas.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 08:46 AM
rockets are still crippled by yao's contract. what will happen if yao goes down again? bosh and martin aren't exactly the two knockout punches the rockets can deliver. and i'm pretty sure the bulls and heat will have bosh as their top priority, especially if wade stays with miami.

If Yao goes down again, than it will be Bosh at center, and Scola at PF. The amazing thing is Morey doesn't have to give Scola up to get Bosh. And it's about where Bosh wants to go

IF Morey gets Bosh, then he said he would get someone else for the mid level exception. Hopefully we will be stacked

CubanMustGo
05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Couldn't a lot of what the author states apply equally well to the Mavericks? Except their star player isn't a fragile China doll?

OK, so maybe he *is* a "better coach to play for" than Carlisle, but is Adelman *really* the best coach to play for in the NBA? Seems a bit hyperbolic.

Shank
05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Richard Justice, on Twitter, has been cocksucking Bosh like the NY media does with Lebron.

Muser
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
They'll let him know there's no better coach to play for than Rick Adelman, and hope that when Bosh begins measuring other NBA franchises against the Rockets, he'll find there's no better owner than Alexander and no better general manager than Morey.

The Lakers FO say hi.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Richard Justice, on Twitter, has been cocksucking Bosh like the NY media does with Lebron.

He is the biggest tool at the Chronicle. Sadly, no one good writes for them anymore, well maybe Jonathan Feignen, but that's it. Justice, and Jerome Solomon have NO place in journalism.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM

The Lakers FO say hi.

If you ever read this guy's articles, you'd know that he is a tool, and writes alot of his articles based on sarcasm. We all know Les isn't the greatest owner, and Morey isn't the best YET, but Morey has a chance

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM

I would be interested to know how many of these S&T's involved situations where the team acquiring the player had the cap room to sign the player without having to do a S&T. Rashard Lewis' S&T from Seattle to Orlando for a 2nd round pick (resulting in Seattle also getting a fat trade exception) being the prime example. Peja going from Indiana to New Orleans being another one. Off the top of my head I can't think of an example where a team who couldn't offer a max contract on their own was able to work out an S&T with a max contract free agent and the previous team.

As for Bosh wanting to go to Houston, I don't see it. Bosh can go play with Wade in Miami, Rose in Chicago, maybe even Lebron in New York. There's far better situations for Bosh than going to a Houston team with Kevin Martin and a perennially injured Yao.

Killakobe81
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
If I'm a power free agent, I'd go the sign and trade route for a couple reasons:

1- I dont screw the previous fan base. i know many will say who gives a "f" but, to me that is how you maintain some of your previous fanbase loyalty and protect your "legacy" with your FIRST franchise.

2-I get to pick a team that has talent. If it's a sign and trade option there is a good chance that there is STILL some talent in the cupboard EVEN AFTER I sign ...The ROX being a PERFECT example of this ... but there are others. If you sign with just HUGE cap space ...you get paid but the team sucks (Knicks, Nets)

3- You can have some say ...Kobe (for example) let it be known he did not want to go to a bulls team without Deng or a Mavs team sans Dirk.

i think Bosh is a great player and could help rox but they have a lot of young talent that have similar attributes and skillsets. That blueprint has ALMOST NEVER worked you want TOP SHELF talent ...package some of those guys and get one ...

all the young, overloaded with talent teams of recent years, have never gotten over the hump.

Jailblazers of 2000's
Sonics of the 90's
Nuggets this year
Mavs this year
Portland this year

having the most talent creates more issues than it helps ...

Most of the recent champs have had good veteran role players, a TRUE superstar in their prime and a 2nd all-star to help carry the load ...

Rest of th roster just needs some speed, defense and some size

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
2-I get to pick a team that has talent. If it's a sign and trade option there is a good chance that there is STILL some talent in the cupboard EVEN AFTER I sign ...The ROX being a PERFECT example of this ... but there are others. If you sign with just HUGE cap space ...you get paid but the team sucks (Knicks, Nets)

This is usually the case, but this year Bosh has at least two options to sign with a team with cap space and talent. In Chicago, he fits in nicely with Rose, Noah, Deng, Hinrich, and Gibson. In Miami, you would have Wade, Bosh, Beasley, Chalmers,and whatever Pat Riley could buy with the last 10M of cap space.

Killakobe81
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
This is usually the case, but this year Bosh has at least two options to sign with a team with cap space and talent. In Chicago, he fits in nicely with Rose, Noah, Deng, Hinrich, and Gibson. In Miami, you would have Wade, Bosh, Beasley, Chalmers,and whatever Pat Riley could buy with the last 10M of cap space.

If Im him id prefer chicago over Miami because Noah could do the dirty work ...while Bosh scores and helps off of the "weaker" big man.
Also Rose and him in pnr would be sick

I admit Wade is the better player than Rose but even if they rid of hinrich to free up cap space a core of Deng, Bosh noah and rose Only needs a pure shooter to coplete that 5 maybe sign Ray allen for a smaller deal

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
If Im him id prefer chicago over Miami because Noah could do the dirty work ...while Bosh scores and helps off of the "weaker" big man.
Also Rose and him in pnr would be sick

I admit Wade is the better player than Rose but even if they rid of hinrich to free up cap space a core of Deng, Bosh noah and rose Only needs a pure shooter to coplete that 5 maybe sign Ray allen for a smaller deal

I'd agree. From a basketball-only perspective, Chicago makes the most sense for Bosh.

What makes this whole thing so interesting is that none of us have any idea what his priorities are. I expect him enjoy all the attention, especially once it becomes obvious that LeBron and Wade aren't changing teams.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM
There's far better situations for Bosh than going to a Houston team with Kevin Martin and a perennially injured Yao.

You do remember that our role players took the Lakers to 7 games? So stop acting like Brooks, Budinger, Lowry, Scola, Martin, Ariza, Battier, Hill (if he stays), Hayes, Martin, is a shitty team to play with. Bosh doesn't want to play second fiddle to LeBron or Wade. And he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Yao

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
You do remember that our role players took the Lakers to 7 games? So stop acting like Brooks, Budinger, Lowry, Scola, Martin, Ariza, Battier, Hill (if he stays), Hayes, Martin, is a shitty team to play with. Bosh doesn't want to play second fiddle to LeBron or Wade. And he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Yao

He didn't say that Houston was that bad, just that there were better situations available.

I notice you have the Rockets getting Bosh while keeping all of their best current pieces. What package of assets do you believe would be enough to motivate Toronto to cooperate in an S&T to Houston? Expiring contracts plus Hill won't be enough.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
He didn't say that Houston was that bad, just that there were better situations available.

I notice you have the Rockets getting Bosh while keeping all of their best current pieces. What package of assets do you believe would be enough to motivate Toronto to cooperate in an S&T to Houston? Expiring contracts plus Hill won't be enough.

Toronto has NO say in where they trade Bosh. It's up to Bosh to say "I want to go to Houston", then they will have to make it happen, or risk losing him for nothing. A package of Hill, Knicks 2012 First Rounder, Jermaine Taylor, and some other pieces to make it work, but the core stays as is

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

What the rockets role players did last year is irrelevant. If you're Bosh you're interested in what's going to happen over the next 5 or 6 years, not what happened last year. All due respect to Scola, Brooks & company, but come on. They're not Wade or Lebron. Houston has nice role players, but any team that had Wade/Bosh or Lebron/Bosh or even Rose/Bosh on it would have no trouble finding role players whatsoever.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Toronto has NO say in where they trade Bosh. It's up to Bosh to say "I want to go to Houston", then they will have to make it happen, or risk losing him for nothing. A package of Hill, Knicks 2012 First Rounder, Jermaine Taylor, and some other pieces to make it work, but the core stays as is

Toronto has no say if Bosh wants to go to a team with cap room. Toronto does have some say if Bosh wants to go to a team that doesn't have cap room like the rockets.

Cane
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Toronto would gladly deal Bosh to anyone who will also take Hedo.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM

This is where we absolutely disagree. Bosh won't get traded to Houston unless Toronto is happy with package of players/picks it gets in return. Without Toronto's cooperation, he can't get more than the MLE from Houston. Toronto will be paid for their cooperation or they'll tell him to find another team.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
This is where we absolutely disagree. Bosh won't get traded to Houston unless Toronto is happy with package of players/picks it gets in return. Without Toronto's cooperation, he can't get more than the MLE from Houston. Toronto will be paid for their cooperation or they'll tell him to find another team.

Toronto has no leverage here, Bosh and Toronto already agreed to work on a sign and trade, If Bosh wants to go to Houston, Toronto can't tell him to look for another team because they don't like what they get. If he is intent on playing here, then Toronto HAS to accept the offer. Or, they could lose him for nothing. A Knicks first rounder, Jordan Hill (Which has been stated that they want him in a deal) Jermaine Taylor, and possibly Trevor Ariza. Also they can't forcefeed Hedo on anyone.

spursfaninla
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
As for Bosh wanting to go to Houston, I don't see it. Bosh can go play with Wade in Miami, Rose in Chicago, maybe even Lebron in New York. There's far better situations for Bosh than going to a Houston team with Kevin Martin and a perennially injured Yao.

and

Superstar 1-2 punch teams make the NBA go. However, since the Spurs did it with 3, the arms race began a few years ago and teams load up with 2-3 all-star level players. Houston is doing it the old school way with a bunch of good players. Yao is all-star level, but do you risk 5 years of your career on his health? No thank you.

Sign and Trade is historically a very rare way to get a superstar deal done. Teams typically are so bitter about losing their franchise guy that they kick them in the ass on the way out, and start rebuilding. The odds of that are slim.

Chicago and Miami look like likely, important destinations for either of Wade or Bosh. I think Bulls do best with Bosh, and imagine if Dirk also leaves and teams with wade in Miami.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 12:24 PM
J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: All the Raptors ask from Bosh is for him to give them a heads-up if he plans to leave so they can work out a sign-and-trade. It would help Bosh too because he'd get more money. The Raptors aren't looking for expiring contracts, so teams with salary-cleared depleted rosters -- such as Miami and New York -- could actually fall out.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: I think he's gone; it's just a question of whether Toronto does it by sign-and-trade (more likely) or Bosh walks on his own (less likely). I think there's going to be a feeding frenzy because teams know that unlike LeBron or Wade, there's a real strong chance Bosh will leave. In addition to teams with cap space, I expect several contenders to try to get involved with sign-and-trade proposals. There are too many balls in play to figure out exactly where he'll end up, but I'm thinking the closer to Texas you go, the greater the odds.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-freeagency-100423/chris-bosh

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Toronto has no leverage here, Bosh and Toronto already agreed to work on a sign and trade, If Bosh wants to go to Houston, Toronto can't tell him to look for another team because they don't like what they get. If he is intent on playing here, then Toronto HAS to accept the offer. Or, they could lose him for nothing.

I disagree on many points, but I will focus on the essential one.

You state that Bosh and Toronto have agreed to work on a sign and trade. I have also read reports to that effect. What you take away from those reports is that Toronto has committed to deal with Bosh's first choice no matter what.

What I took away is that Bosh will give Toronto more than one team to deal with so that the team can get reasonable value in return.

If Bosh only gives them Houston to deal with, of course Toronto has leverage. Bosh will not sign for the MLE, so Houston will have to provide an agreeable package of assets to make the deal happen.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
The Raptors aren't looking for expiring contracts,

but I'm thinking the closer to Texas you go, the greater the odds.

1. Yet you propose a Rocket package of expiring contracts plus Hill, Taylor, and a draft pick.

2. Dallas is in Texas

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Toronto has no leverage here, Bosh and Toronto already agreed to work on a sign and trade, If Bosh wants to go to Houston, Toronto can't tell him to look for another team because they don't like what they get. If he is intent on playing here, then Toronto HAS to accept the offer. Or, they could lose him for nothing. A Knicks first rounder, Jordan Hill (Which has been stated that they want him in a deal) Jermaine Taylor, and possibly Trevor Ariza. Also they can't forcefeed Hedo on anyone.

Toronto doesn't have to take Houston's offer because they're really not at risk of losing him for nothing. Even if Bosh wants to go to a team that has cap room the Raptors can still work a sign and trade with that team and come away with a fat trade exception. Bosh will go along with it because he gets more money. If Toronto doesn't like Houston's offer they can tell Bosh to tell Houston to sweeten their offer or go find another team.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
1. Yet you propose a Rocket package of expiring contracts plus Hill, Taylor, and a draft pick.

2. Dallas is in Texas

Ariza isn't expiring, Toronto really likes Hill, and Taylor is a good prospect

2) Dirk would have to leave for Bosh to go to Dallas

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Why would Toronto want Ariza when they are already massively overpaying Hedo to play SF?

Why would Dirk have to leave?

Shank
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Maybe lineup-wise. But financially, he wouldn't need to.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Why would Toronto want Ariza when they are already massively overpaying Hedo to play SF?

Why would Dirk have to leave?

Lineup wise, Dirk and Bosh would be redundant, when they need a slasher/scorer type.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Lineup wise, Dirk and Bosh would be redundant, when they need a slasher/scorer type.

If Yao goes down again, than it will be Bosh at center, and Scola at PF.

So Dirk and Bosh won't work, but Bosh and Scola will?

Ok

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Plus there's one thing Dallas can do that Houston absolutely cannot.

Dallas can make one of Toronto's horrible contracts (Hedo and Calderon) completely disappear by including Dampier in a trade. Houston can't match that.

djohn2oo8
05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Plus there's one thing Dallas can do that Houston absolutely cannot.

Dallas can make one of Toronto's horrible contracts (Hedo and Calderon) completely disappear by including Dampier in a trade. Houston can't match that.

It has been mentioned that Bosh would feel uncomfortable playing in Dallas, so that's a no go

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
It has been mentioned that Bosh would feel uncomfortable playing in Dallas, so that's a no go

Link to where Bosh ever said he would be uncomfortable in Dallas? There was a ESPN Insider headline last summer that said something like that, but it linked back to a DMN story that said no such thing.

In fact, the only city that I've seen him mention as a place in which he does feel comfortable is Toronto.

lakaluva's mom
05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Today, ESPN's Marc Stein mentioned the possibility that Bosh could be playing for Houston next season. From the article:

The Rockets' No. 1 free-agent target? Sources say it's still Bosh, who earlier this season said the idea of playing in his hometown of Dallas holds limited appeal ... but hasn't said anything to suggest that he wouldn't play somewhere else in his home state.

If the Raptors and Bosh reach the expected conclusion that it's time for an amicable divorce, Houston has amassed an enticing cache of sign-and-trade assets. One source, offering one small example, says that the Raptors are intrigued by young forward Jordan Hill, whom the Rockets extracted from the Knicks in the Tracy McGrady three-way deal in February.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/chris-bosh-to-the-rockets.php

FWIW, But I'll believe Marc Stein over Ric Bucher any day

noob cake
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Bosh playing with Dirk means that he will have to player center since Dirk is not exactly center material.

Beside Bosh wants his own team. Dirk at this stage of his career is still > Bosh.

Shank
05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Would Bosh be able to operate as Lamar Odom does? Wouldn't a Dirk-Bosh-Haywood front court be doable, if so?

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
You gotta love it when fans try to convince themselves that their preferred outcome is also the most likely outcome. Let's see:

Bosh playing with Dirk means that he will have to player center since Dirk is not exactly center material.

If Yao isn't healthy, Bosh would have to play center in Houston.

Beside Bosh wants his own team. Dirk at this stage of his career is still > Bosh.

If Yao is healthy, it's still Yao's team.

Therefore, logic dictates that if Bosh wants to play PF on his own team he would choose a destination other than Houston.

noob cake
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
You gotta love it when fans try to convince themselves that their preferred outcome is also the most likely outcome. Let's see:

If Yao isn't healthy, Bosh would have to play center in Houston.

If Yao is healthy, it's still Yao's team.

Therefore, logic dictates that if Bosh wants to play PF on his own team he would choose a destination other than Houston.

Everyone on this board seems to assume that Yao will still be injured next season. Even if Yao is injured again, we'll play Hayes or Anderson at center. Bosh is an upgrade over Scola no matter how you spin it.

redzero
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Damn, I want Bosh on my team so bad. Sadly, the Hornets have David West.

Kai
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd say that the team that will most likely get Bosh is the team that Bosh wants to go to. Since none of us actually know the guy, we don't necessarily know he wouldn't want to play with a team like the Nets or whatever. Only time will tell.

I'm not saying Bosh will necessarily go to his preferred team, but I would consider it the biggest hurdle to clear in the process. So if he were to choose Houston, I believe that the Rockets would have the a very good shot at him, but wouldn't necessarily get him, considering the lack of cap room in the organization.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd say that the team that will most likely get Bosh is the team that Bosh wants to go to. Since none of us actually know the guy, we don't necessarily know he wouldn't want to play with a team like the Nets or whatever. Only time will tell.

I'm not saying Bosh will necessarily go to his preferred team, but I would consider it the biggest hurdle to clear in the process. So if he were to choose Houston, I believe that the Rockets would have the a very good shot at him, but wouldn't necessarily get him, considering the lack of cap room in the organization.

Finally, the voice of reason.

The Franchise
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I have no idea where he's headed, but let's just assume he chooses Houston. Hill (young prospect on a cheap contract), Jeffries & Battier (expirings), Our 2011 first round pick (can swap with NY), and NY 2012 first round pick is going to be a hard package to match for any team. The flexibility this package gives Toronto is second to none.

That leaves us with this team:

Yao/14th pick (Solomon Alabi :))
Bosh/Scola
Ariza/Budinger
Martin/Taylor or MLE
Brooks/Lowry

Miami and Chicago are a better situation? You must be fucking mad! This Houston team would have a weapon at every position in the starting lineup, and on the bench. We would be a matchup problem for every team in the league. Who you gonna double off of? Plus we would have enough frontcourt depth to rest Yao the entire year which would only help us to keep him healthy. Chicago and Miami just don't have the depth to put as good a team on the floor as Houston would. You really think Adelman can't make that shit work easily? By the time the playoffs arrived next year that team would be firing on all cylinders. I don't give a shit who wins this year, that Houston team would be the favorites to take their crown. Bosh would be the perfect fit in Houston. Anybody not willing to admit how monstrous that team would be had better hope their team is in the east if that S&T fucking happens. :lol

Cane
05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Tony Parker/RJ/McDyess for Bosh? ;)

JayJaay
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Found this on the General forum over at RealGm and by way of Clutchfans as well:

Interesting interview by D. Morey on Houston radio this morning. If you monitor Clutchfans like I am doing now I have noticed they have a habit of loosely transcribing or "highlighting" all the interviews the Houston personell give on all the sports radio stations down there. Today Morey was on this station:

http://www.790kbme.com/main.html

and gave an interview about what is up for the future of the Rockets. Here are the highlights that contains a very interesting piece of information:

Morey was on 790 this morning and while most of the conversation was just back and forth banter and largely irrelevant, some interesting notes:

1) Team is likely to move from their draft position again as they like to maximize assets. Whether up or down or out is unclear.

2) Team will definitely pay luxury tax next year.

3) Team will definitely use the MLE this offseason. Edit: Also said that the entire MLE will be taxed.

4) Les has given Morey the go ahead to take on big contracts if need be to get a star player. He is all in and only asks that Morey "be smart" with the money, but has given him no limitations. The question was obviously a reference to Turkey Glue.

First lol at what they are calling Turkoglu but more intrestingly it doesn't look like his inclusion in a deal (or maybe that of Calderon if they go in another direction) for Bosh would be a dealbreaker.

Here is where they are discussing the interview:
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=186006

Here is a link to the interview if you want to listen to it for yourself : (fast forward to the 10:30 mark to find the highlights from above.)
http://www.790kbme.com/mediaplayer/?station=KBME-AM&action=ondemand&item=19122574&feed_name=MattAdam.xml

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 05:49 PM

I disagree on many points, but I will focus on the essential one.

You state that Bosh and Toronto have agreed to work on a sign and trade. I have also read reports to that effect. What you take away from those reports is that Toronto has committed to deal with Bosh's first choice no matter what.

What I took away is that Bosh will give Toronto more than one team to deal with so that the team can get reasonable value in return.

If Bosh only gives them Houston to deal with, of course Toronto has leverage. Bosh will not sign for the MLE, so Houston will have to provide an agreeable package of assets to make the deal happen.

Sources: Bosh gives Raptors wish list

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5208043

:wakeup

Pelicans78
05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Hornets should trade West and maybe Collison or a couple of their expiring contracts for Bosh.

sefant77
05-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Hornets should trade West and maybe Collison or a couple of their expiring contracts for Bosh.

Franchises with cheap ass owners doesnt win titles.

Ghazi
05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Franchises with mentally weak midget PG's as go to guy dont win titles

fify :tu :tu

:lmao Pargo taking 13 4th quarter shots in Game 7.