PDA

View Full Version : Lakers fans are happy with mediocrity

tlongII
05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-20100503,0,2434945.column

They still root for an underachieving team that shouldn't even be tested by the Utah Jazz.

I don't get you people, your willingness to reward these Lakers underachievers, the trend continuing Sunday as it did all season long and these guys doing only what they had to do to start the second round of the playoffs.

You were on your feet, the Lakers down by four points, and why wasn't everyone in the building booing?

As it is, I worry about you people, chanting, "MVP, MVP," every time Kobe Bryant goes to the line, not a peep out of you when Pau Gasol is standing there, and who has been more consistent?

More than that, you were sounding downright foolish on national TV, chanting "MVP" an hour after they had already handed the trophy to LeBron James, who had 116 first-place votes.

Receive breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Register »

Kevin Durant finished second in the voting and had four first-place votes, Kobe third with no — and that's zero — first-place votes, and Dwight Howard had three first-place votes.

Phil Jackson should have been coach of the year, Kobe or Gasol MVP, and the Lakers standing tall throughout the playoffs with the home-court advantage.

But the Lakers were one big letdown for much of the season, given a golden opportunity to begin the second round of the playoffs against a church league team by usual NBA playoff standards, and they struggled to win.

Shouldn't people expect more from champions?

I know, I know, the mark of a champion, some will say, the Lakers coming back to win, and maybe if this was the first time they had fought back to overcome, OK.

But these Lakers won 57 regular-season games with the talent to win so many more, sputtering the last month, but promising to turn it on in the postseason because they could, they said.

Wouldn't it be just a scream to see Jerry Sloan coach this group, the guy who believes in gutting it out all the way? They'd drive him crazy, while he did what he could to drive away those who didn't always feel like giving it their all.

He'd probably end up with a Utah-like team again, lots of heart and not enough talent, but oh well.

You would think by now these Lakers would have learned their lesson, the Oklahoma City Thunder catching them by surprise, sitting 2-2 and hounded by all kinds of questions and doubts.

It wouldn't be so aggravating if everyone didn't already know how good the Lakers can be when they so choose, the Thunder understanding that as much as anyone right now as it watches the NBA at home on TV.

In the Jazz, the Lakers get the NBA break of all time, a bye, really. They beat the injury-depleted Jazz four consecutive times, and the tired and injured get valuable time to recoup.

You saw the Jazz. You might've even turned to the person sitting next to you to say, "These guys really aren't very good, are they?" Jack Nicholson didn't even show up.

The Jazz starts a bunch of midgets compared with Gasol and Andrew Bynum, making this series so lopsided it doesn't matter if the referees favor Utah.

The only reason the Jazz is still playing is because the Nuggets stopped doing so long ago, Utah scoring a bunch of points because Denver plays no defense.

Someone said the Jazz played great basketball the last half of the season, but when the Lakers were at their very worst down the stretch, they still pounded Utah, 106-92, with Mehmet Okur playing 30 minutes 34 seconds at center.

And Sloan might be intense, tough and all that, and if he never found himself matched against Jackson, he'd have a 91-84 record in the playoffs.

But as an NBA rule now, he gets pounded by Jackson-coached teams, and so his playoff record is 98-101, four consecutive series losses to Jackson's Chicago Bulls and Lakers, only a matter of days before it will be five.

The Lakers just haven't shown an ability to put teams away, and while that's the NBA trademark — wait until the last two minutes — the talent disparity between these teams should make that almost impossible.

"I thought our bench really let us down in the fourth quarter,'' Jackson said, but Jackson also coached and substituted like someone who knew there was no way the Lakers could lose to the Jazz.

He would not agree later with the premise that the Jazz is no good, his obvious respect for team play employed by the Jazz and players willing to accept their roles trumping the obvious.

But this was no great victory, the Lakers still the underachieving Lakers, although it would seem good enough for most of you.

To win another championship — well, we'll see.

THE CLIPPERS ran a commercial on ABC during the Lakers game urging fans to buy season tickets. The key element in the commercial was Baron Davis coming through for the Clippers. You can only imagine the miles of videotape they had to go through to find such a moment.

TheManFromAcme
05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Tlong = taking sour grapes and making wine out of it.

Really my friend,....why the passion for all things Lakers?

Just wondering..

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 09:10 AM
The best one can do is win.

We won.

tlongII
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Tlong = taking sour grapes and making wine out of it.

Really my friend,....why the passion for all things Lakers?

Just wondering..

Apparently you don't know Blazer fans.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM

You had your chance to preclude our initial strke to the three peat and en masse you jammed the side door. Thank, Christ.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I feel bad for TJ simers, poor little fella.

in2deep
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Lakers are good but they are "winging it". That won't be good enough to even get to WCF.

Muser
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Won't be good enough to get to the WCF? They're going up against Carlos freakin' Boozer and some 7 foot scrub who is most famous for not knowing Kenny the Jet.

tlongII
05-03-2010, 10:13 AM
You had your chance to preclude our initial strke to the three peat and en masse you jammed the side door. Thank, Christ.

We got hosed by Stern in that game. You know it. Donaghy knows it. Everybody knows it.

in2deep
05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Won't be good enough to get to the WCF? They're going up against Carlos freakin' Boozer and some 7 foot scrub who is most famous for not knowing Kenny the Jet.

oh shit. meant the NBA Finals.

anyway Fakers will have trouble in Utah, this series is not going less than 6 games

TheManFromAcme
05-03-2010, 10:15 AM

What is there to know?
Your not even a rival.

You've got a great team (when they're healthy that is) but I am just fascinated by your continous dialogue regarding the Lakers.

Whatever floats your boat I guess...:rolleyes

tlongII
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
oh shit. meant the NBA Finals.

anyway Fakers will have trouble in Utah, this series is not going less than 6 games

I agree. Jerry Sloan will send somebody to "sweep the knee" against Bynum. :lol

ChrisRichards
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree with the MVP chant. I think Gasol deserves some love too considering he's been LA's best player to date. Gasol will be putting up 25, 12 and 4 blks and he wont get those, Kobe can have one of those 9/26 nights, but as soon as he steps on that line, the MVP chant is automatic. Its annoying as hell, that's probably why the refs are swallowing their whistles for Kobe.

tlongII
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
What is there to know?
Your not even a rival.

You've got a great team (when they're healthy that is) but I am just fascinated by your continous dialogue regarding the Lakers.

Whatever floats your boat I guess...:rolleyes

Just as I thought. You don't know Blazer fans. You should come to the Rose Garden sometime when the Lakers are in town...............on second thought, maybe not. :lol

TheManFromAcme
05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Just as I thought. You don't know Blazer fans. You should come to the Rose Garden sometime when the Lakers are in town...............on second thought, maybe not. :lol

okay?

Alocalscientologist
05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Gasol is better than Kobe right now. When Kobe's shot is on, he's the most unstoppable player in the league.

When it isn't.... :depressed

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 10:22 AM
We got hosed by Stern in that game. You know it. Donaghy knows it. Everybody knows it.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, youngster.

Alocalscientologist
05-03-2010, 10:22 AM

We prefer to hang out where we can look up and see banners.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Gasol is better than Kobe right now. When Kobe's shot is on, he's the most unstoppable player in the league.

When it isn't.... :depressed

....he still stuck OKC in a hole.

Gasol never had to make a shot in his life. A game deciding last second shot attempt everywhere cept when Bryant is loading the chambers looks like a gd f'in Chinese Fire Drill---Everybody speeding around///their ass on fire///ashened faced///holding their breath.

It's a hoot.

DJ Mbenga
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
T.J Simers . end thread

Killakobe81
05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I agree with the MVP chant. I think Gasol deserves some love too considering he's been LA's best player to date. Gasol will be putting up 25, 12 and 4 blks and he wont get those, Kobe can have one of those 9/26 nights, but as soon as he steps on that line, the MVP chant is automatic. Its annoying as hell, that's probably why the refs are swallowing their whistles for Kobe.

tlong-BRhornet-ChrisRichards-Miami heat ...seperated at birth?

Who cares? Why do you care HOW fans of ANOTHER team you OBVIOUSLY dislike, led by a player you CAN NOT STAND post this crap?

How is this any different than Lakaluva posting 10x a day about the Lakers?

At least Luva makes no bones about where his loyalties lie ..and his posts although sometimes "over the top" you know when he bashes a player or team, he does not put on those fake ass qualifiers like:

"not that i hate Kobe"

"kobe could be great but ..."

"Kobe is good but needs a bigman"

"kobe is good but no MJ"

Just say "i hate Kobe" and then the reason why ...

or

"I hate his game" and the reason why

AND POST IT IN THE FREAKING KOBE THREAD I know some of you are none too bright, but it is a SIMPLE concept.

All the rest comes across as penis envy or jealousy ...

Because whether you like him or not he has 4 rings and an MVP scoring titles, ALL NBA, and heck even in an injured year finished ahead of most of the NBA in MVP voting this PAST year!

I dont want everyobe to love Kobe sometimes he gets on my nerves ESPECIALLY in 2004 when he and Shaq ripped my team apart.

In fact we are ALL entitled to our opinions bash Kobe just put in the Kobe thread. Same for the Kobe fans ...

JUST PLEASE stop turning a once great forum on a great site in to who can post the MOST ANNOYING THREADs wasteland ...

But despite how consistently great Pau has been these playoffs so far ...in the closeout game and game 1 vs. Utah when we needed someone to step up it's Kobe.

all that MVP chant stuff whatever is foolish to cry over ...you sound bitter.