PDA

View Full Version : Scola NOT MVP of Euroleague Finals

gus
05-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Don't know if anyone posted it before.

Gus

Rick Von Braun
05-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Interesting that they picked him despite the Tau's loss. He played very well, but I thought they would pick a player from the Maccabi.

Do you have a link with some info?

Solid D
05-09-2005, 09:58 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/gra_1773_33.jpg
Saras, MVP

For the first time in a generation, Europe has a repeat champion, and it goes by the name of Maccabi Tel Aviv!! Maccabi Tel Aviv downed Tau Ceramica 90-78 in the 2005 Euroleague Final on Sunday before a sellout crowd of 13,300 on Sunday at Olympiysky Arena in Moscow, Russia. The champs had to suffer some this time. A year after breaking records for scoring and point difference, Maccabi led early but had to face down a Tau rally in the second half. Maccabi becomes the first European champion to win consecutive titles since Split took three in a row from 1989 to 1991. The victory gave Maccabi its fourth exclusive title in Euroleague history, not including the 2001 Suproleague title.

The first two Maccabi titles came in 1977 and 1981. Sarunas Jasikevicius, who was named MVP, led Maccabi with 22 points and whole lot of floor leadership. Maceo Baston added 16 points for the winners, who got a big boost off the bench in 13 first-half points from Nestoras Kommatos. Nikola Vujcic added 11 for Maccabi, which did a great defensive job on Tau sharpshooter Arvydas Macijauskas, who had to get most of his 13 points at the foul line. Luis Scola led Tau with 18 points. Jasikevicius becomes one of the few players of the Final Four era to reach three titles. On the floor during the celebration, Jasikevicius said: "Yellow is still in fashion in European basketball!"

alamo50
05-09-2005, 10:02 AM
WTF gus?

Solid D
05-09-2005, 10:02 AM
...and for the season, it was Anthony Parker.

http://www.euroleague.net/finalfour05/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=24&id=358

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/peq_1608_20.jpg

2004-05 Euroleague MVP
Anthony Parker, Maccabi Tel Aviv
The voting for the 2004-05 Euroleague MVP, an award being given for the first time, could not have been more decisive. There was little doubt among the 30 journalists across Europe who cover the Euroleague on a regular basis as to just what player was the best this season: Anthony Parker of Maccabi Tel Aviv. In his fifth season in Europe, Parker has won over a lot of hearts, especially in Tel Aviv. Now, 19 of the journalists who voted made Parker their first choice for MVP, a new award covering all of the Regular Season, Top 16 and Quarterfinal Playoffs. They had good reason, of course. Parker had been consistently spectacular throughout the season. He won five weekly MVP awards based on a statistical index, and was also chosen as the Euroleague's first monthly MVP back in November.
The statistical index also placed Parker first overall after the Regular Season, second in the Top 16 and fourth in the Quarterfinal Playoffs. Parker generated eye-popping stats across the board: 18.4 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.0 steals on the season, while shooting 57.8% from two-point range, 48.2% on three-pointers and 85.8% at the foul line. Journalists gave votes worth 3 points to their top choice for MVP, 2 points for a second choice and 1 point for a third choice. Parker's total came to 76 points, more than double the next vote-getter, David Andersen of CSKA Moscow. Tied for third place were Marcus Brown of CSKA and Jaka Lakovic of Panathinaikos. The other players to receive first-place votes were Sarunas Jasikevicius of Maccabi and Luis Scola of Tau Ceramica. Parker will receive his award at the Official Final Four Dinner that takes place at the Final Four in Moscow on Saturday, May 7, between the semifinals and the title game.

Solid D
05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think Scola played very well down the stretch in the final...and Jasikevicius did.

Solid D
05-09-2005, 10:15 AM
www.fiba.com

08/05/2005
ISR - Maccabi are champions of Europe

MOSCOW, May 8 (Euroleague) - Maccabi Tel Aviv are the kings of European basketball again after denying a brave Tau Ceramica in the Euroleague final in Moscow.

Maccabi, behind the inspiration of their Lithuanian superstar Sarunas Jasikevicius and a tough-as-nails defence, won 90-78.

The point guard Jasikevicius, whose legend grows in every competition he plays in, be it for club or country, had 22 points and earned the Euroleague Final Four MVP award.

Pini Gershon, the Maccabi coach who led them to glory in the SuproLeague in 2001 in Paris and last year in the Euroleague in Tel Aviv, once again pulled all the right strings.

Determined to shut down Jasikevicius' international team-mate Arvydas Macijauskas, Gershon instructed Tal Burstein and a host of players not to let the Tau sharpshooter get the ball.

Time and time again, Maccabi players fouled Macijauskas and he never got into any rhythm, ultimately being held to 13 points - 11 of them coming from the free throw line.

The Israeli club jumped out to a big first-half lead which reached 14 points at one stage, but Tau stormed back and trailed by just two midway through the second half.

They were unable to pull level, however, and with Jasikevicius making important baskets and Maceo Baston soaring high above the rim for a few spectacular dunks, Maccabi prevailed.

Jasikevicius was seven of 12 from the field, including three of four from behind the arc, and he was a perfect five of five from the free throw line.

Baston was sensational in Maccabi's win over Panathinaikos in the semi-final, and in the final.

In the championship game, he had 18 points and seven rebounds.

Luis Scola of Argentina showed why his future is in the NBA with a monster performance, too, pouring in 21 points on eight of 13 shooting.

He also had nine rebounds.
Tau's Brazilian centre Tiago Splitter has also shone of late, showed greatness is in his future, too, with a pair of sensational blocks, although he scored just six points.

As the game drew to a close, there were some nervous moments, particularly for the press area who found themselves staring into the faces of Russian police as they entered the court to make sure control was maintained.

When Maccabi won in Paris, their fans had jumped out of the stands and onto press tables before storming the court, thus preventing the awards ceremony from taking place.

The police eventually listened to the pleas from organisers and left the court as the final few minutes were played out.

From Jeff Taylor, PA International, Moscow

BigVee
05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Happened to catch the game. Scola needs some work...sets a lousy screen, interior defense not too famous, but lots of upside...strong body, runs well, knows his way around the basket, is aggressive, decent hands, has a nice touch, and had they given him the ball more might have won the game.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Don't know if anyone posted it before.

Gus
where the f*** did he get that from then???

SLOVENIAN 8
05-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I already said yesterday before and of a game that Sarunas Jasikevicius will be MVP becouse reporter on our national Tv said that they vote and he will be MVP.

Dario
05-09-2005, 11:44 AM
And people here were all smart saying jasikevicius couldnt play backup in NBA. He is better than 90% PG's NBA can offer now including tony.
Let the whining begin :P

picnroll
05-09-2005, 11:53 AM
I hope he gets the opportunity to come over and show his stuff. Chicago has a good defense to back him up and he seems like a Skiles type player. He and Hinrich would make a nice backcourt.

gus
05-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Sorry I have heard shit.

I was hearing local ESPN.

Gus

waly.mg
05-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Stats (http://www.euroleague.net/stats/statsPartido.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=25&partido=229)

waly.mg
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Scola leads the Team in Points, rebounds and assists

And 8/11 from the field

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Should I point it out that Sarunas Jasikevicius is a Terp?

:)

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
So can we get Tony to recruit his brother?

whottt
05-09-2005, 01:17 PM
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg
I tell you right now, Scola was the MVP! Jacskivicieus? What's that? I never heard of this thing! Do not believe the Euroliars. Praise Argentina!

hendrix
05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
And people here were all smart saying jasikevicius couldnt play backup in NBA. He is better than 90% PG's NBA can offer now including tony.
Let the whining begin :P

Well, I agree... but anyways i've been continously naming Tony's vices so they will say i'm biased. But no... no one takes a critique of their beloved-shooting guard wannabe TP.

picnroll
05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
... and in other news Argentina is today celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of the reannexation of the Falkland Islands.

hendrix
05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Completely outdated, Whottt. That post makes much more sense to current US mass media coverage of Bush's wars.

Slo spurs fan
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
... and in other news Argentina is today celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of the reannexation of the Falkland Islands.

Maybe 23RD! :angel

Athenea
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
http://picturesargentina.com.ar/islasmalvinas_archivos/cement3Malvinas.jpg

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Fuck, this is going out of control, let's keep it clean...

About Sarunas: He should be in the NBA, he already won everything in Europe, his age and his (lack of) athleticism might be a problem, but if a coach is willing to use him as his star player, he will torch teams in the league. His pick 'n' roll moves, and his shooting are excellent. His passing and court vision are very good. His defence is average.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I heard during the Olympics that Sarunas is not interested in coming to the NBA.

(but if he was, he only wanted to be on a team with Cuttino Mobley)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I heard during the Olympics that Sarunas is not interested in coming to the NBA.

(but if he was, he only wanted to be on a team with Cuttino Mobley)

Yes, it is a posibility, I don't think that in the NBA he will get a contract and a star status as in Europe. He will have to start from scratch again, and he won't like it. If he was 23, 24, he would accept it, but at the age of 29, with a family established in Europe, I guess he just has resigned to the posibility of going back to America.

There are quite a few old players in Europe that missed the posibility of the NBA because one reason or another, and now they have established themselves in Europe as stars. Oberto, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Tomasevic, they have the talent to play in the NBA, but they decided to stay in Europe.

picnroll
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
link (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/574887.html)

Katz said that he believed Euroleague MVP Sarunas Jasikevicius would stay with Maccabi if he didn't receive a serious offer from the NBA, but the Lithuanian point guard's agent said yesterday that there was no way Jasikevicius would play in Europe next season. Jasikevicius has become a hot name in the NBA and senior ESPN commentator Chad Ford said yesterday that he could be a sixth player in a team contending for the NBA title.

So who will end up with Sarunas?