PDA

View Full Version : Is Duncan the only Superstar who failed to win a gold medal in tha last 30 years???

An Unbiased Fan
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
MJ, Kobe, Snaq, Magic, Bird, etc. all have gold medals. Even Lebron & Wade got one when Kobe joined. So is Duncan the only one in modern times without one? Dirk & "I"verson aren't true superstars, IMO.

Also, Should Duncan join the 2012 team so he can erase the blackmark of leading a Dream Team to international failure? Does he really want to be the only legend with this tarnishment on their record?

Discuss

BlackSwordsMan
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
trolls are cool if they're funny

Edwin
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
You are a faggot. Gold medals mean nothing. Everyone knows NBA titles have FAR more meaning, you stupid cunt.

An Unbiased Fan
trolls are cool if they're funny
Not trolling. Just asking a serious question.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Here's how I think of this:

Lakerfan believes anyone who lives in LA or claims to be a Lakers fan is an NBA champion when the Lakers win a championship. By this same logic, everyone in America is a gold medalist when the US wins a gold medal. Ifso facso, Tim Duncan is a gold medalist.

An Unbiased Fan
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
You are a faggot. Gold medals mean nothing. Everyone knows NBA titles have FAR more meaning, you stupid cunt.
You have Ja-Rule as your avatar, and you're calling me a faggot??? GTFO

Anyway, I'm not saying a Gold medal = NBA Title. Leading a Dream Team to their first and only loss is a black mark though.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
He wasn't born on this soil so I don't hold it against Duncan.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
MJ, Kobe, Snaq, Magic, Bird, etc. all have gold medals. Even Lebron & Wade got one when Kobe joined. So is Duncan the only one in modern times without one? Dirk & "I"verson aren't true superstars, IMO.

Also, Should Duncan join the 2012 team so he can erase the blackmark of leading a Dream Team to international failure? Does he really want to be the only legend with this tarnishment on their record?

Discuss

If you're not a troll, then learn the history of the 2004 Olympic basketball team and get back to us. Duncan honored his commitment and led a flawed team to Athens. Any black mark belongs to those who did not go, especially those that played for the 2003 team in Olympic qualifying and then backed out of their commitments.

lil_penny
05-03-2010, 02:10 PM
He wasn't born on this soil so I don't hold it against Duncan.

An Unbiased Fan
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
If you're not a troll, then learn the history of the 2004 Olympic basketball team and get back to us. Duncan honored his commitment and led a flawed team to Athens. Any black mark belongs to those who did not go, especially those that played for the 2003 team in Olympic qualifying and then backed out of their commitments.
I'm well aware of the 2004 team and it's history. While some didn't go, there was still more than enough talent for a superstar to lead to a gold medal. Manu led an inferior squad to the Gold that year.

Mel_13
05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm well aware of the 2004 team and it's history. While some didn't go, there was still more than enough talent for a superstar to lead to a gold medal. Manu led an inferior squad to the Gold that year.

Well, now we know your opinion.

coyotes_geek
05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Not even the greatness of Tim Duncan could eclipse the curse of Stephon Marbury.

Cry Havoc
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Discuss

I like how you're a Cavs fan.

Kori Ellis
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Does he really want to be the only legend with this tarnishment on their record?

He doesn't care. He thinks FIBA sucks.

An Unbiased Fan
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
He doesn't care. He thinks FIBA sucks.
He only thinks FIBA sucks because he lost.

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
um they have only allowed the stars to play for 18 years. Don't really expect a laker fan to know that though.

An Unbiased Fan
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Hey! Mitch Richmond had to settle for the bronze too!
1) Richmond was never a superstar

2) I can't take anyone with a Woody Paige username & avatar seriously.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Of course he is, I've been pointing this out for years. If Kobe had failed to lead his team like Duncan did, OMG would this site been like stepped on ants around here.

Luva is correct here.

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Of course he is, I've been pointing this out for years. If Kobe had failed to lead his team like Duncan did, OMG would this site been like stepped on ants around here.

shut the fuck up lakaluva once again your ignorance shines through. This site WAs like that. Especially with the argies

J.T.
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Who gives a fuck in my humble points of view. At least Tim Duncan isn't a rapist.

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I already responded to the question posted. I just had to educate you cause you weren't here, but talking like you were

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Did my post lead you to believe that I was saying I was here. I only gave an opinion of what this site would have been like if Kobe had performed so poorly for his country, instead of Duncan.

and I'm telling you this site was like that, and nobody at this site gave a flying fuck about kobe in04.

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Who gives a fuck in my humble points of view. At least Tim Duncan isn't a rapist.

I have half-a-mind to switch allegiances tonite after your crude remark...but, I'll stand the gaffe and still pull for you glorious bastards.

Charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giuseppe
05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
and I'm telling you this site was like that, and nobody at this site gave a flying fuck about kobe in04.

I find that hard to believe, Wreck. I think yer tellin' whoppers.

Trainwreck2100
05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I find that hard to believe, Wreck. I think yer tellin' whoppers.

the argies were walking around like fuckin laker fans. And the lakers were irrelevant in 04.

Blake
05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Christian Laettner > Tim Duncan

Muser
05-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Tayshaun Prince > Tim Duncan.

crc21209
05-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Please. Did you see the 04' roster TD had to put up with? The only other bigs on the roster were Amare Stoudemire, Emeka Okafor, and Carlos Boozer (All who had just came into the NBA). What a joke..not to mention Iverson and Marbury running point. Sure they had LeBron, Carmelo, and Wade, but they hardly played any minutes at all because they were so young and inexperienced.

jacobdrj
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Gold medals lost their meaning after the Soviet Union collapsed, in basketball. It will not mean anything again until the US gets a full time national team or an assembly of good players and coaching, with practice time, and LOOSE... They actually made a half-hearted attempt this past Olympics, and won again, not surprisingly. But putting a hodge-podge of middle tier players on a team with no practice time nor a top tier coach is not a measuring stick of national basketball. Period...

crc21209
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Of all the players you just mentioned, Duncan sucked the most. He was a total let down... make no excuses.

The MAIN reason the 04' team lost was because they just didnt have the right team put together at all. It was a miracle that they even won Bronze with that team. That team was put together in weeks, with little time to prepare, and no chemistry whatsoever. Most of the other countries teams had been together for years (Ex. Argentina). Add the fact that they didnt have a true PG, literally NO outside shooting on that team, and no post-presence. It's because of little cry babies like Shaq, Kidd, Malone, KG, T-Mac and VC..Some claimed they were "hurt", when really they were probably just scared shitless like the others to go overseas and play basketball after the events of 9/11. The team actually did sleep on a ship guarded by Navy Seals...so even though these guys didnt bring home gold that year, you have to give these guys credit for even having the balls to go over there and compete when some of the other so called "stars" declined to even take part in the Olympics...

neboat
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Of all the players you just mentioned, Duncan sucked the most. He was a total let down... make no excuses.

Duncan sucked the most? Overall he was one of the more effective players on the team. The only thing you can fault him on was he fouled too much....

MmP
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
FIBA sucks? Tim is a great player, but he just couldn't learn to play FIBA style.

Juanobili
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Idc. I'm an NBA fan. Not so much a FIBA fan.

spursfan1000
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Duncan has championships, thats all that matters...im sure if Duncan had kobe dwight melo and lebron he would win too

Galileo
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Has anyone ever won an NBA title, an NCAA title, and ABA title, and NIT title, and a gold medal?

jag
05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
What's the point of this thread???

Ok, ok TS...you just pwned everyone at Spurstalk. Duncan is a terrible leader and clearly can't win when it matters.

Point taken.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
What an idiotic thread Cavs fan started.

So because Duncan couldn't lead a team of prima donnas and wet-behind-the-ears rookies and sophomores to a gold medal, no thanks to many of the leagues legitimate other stars pussying out and staying stateside, that's a "black mark" on his record? You do realize that the debacle that was the '04 "Dream Team" was a dream in name only, do you not? And this came one year removed from back-to-back MVP titles for Timmy? AND in between two championship years?

Seriously, go fuck yourself.

alchemist
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
What an idiotic thread Cavs fan started.
OP is a Lakerfag

Gutter92
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Did they have a 3 or 4 year commitment to practicing over the summer back then?

LeBron deserves all the credit for leading the '08 squad to the gold.

TampaDude
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Fuck it...Ginobili won the gold medal in 2004, so it's all good... :hat

Gutter92
05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
LeBron: 60% fg, team leader in blocks, 2nd in ppg( above Kobe despite Kobe shooting 3 shots a game more), 2nd in APG, only thing Kobe had him beat in was averaging .2 less turnovers a game...

pretty clear who was more valuable, stats dont lie homie.

BlackSwordsMan
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
no one remembers the olympic winners only finals winner
kobe 1 ring
duncan 4

EmptyMan
05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Gold medal is not a big deal for American team imo.

Gutter92
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Do you want me to take your stats argument and show you how Duncan is not even in top 10 big man?:rolleyes
yes please, show me 10 big men that take 3 more shots than Duncan, shoot 14% higher than him, lead their team in blocks per game, scoring..etc etc...

I'll wait for ya.

callo1
05-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Discuss

Discuss huh? Okay, I'll bite.

If you remember, that USA team had many superstars that wouldn't play in the Olympics because of the terrorists attacks of 9/11.

Given those circumstances, you can't even begin to compare that team minus much of the US talent to more recent teams, especially when team Argentina had Manu and Scola and Oberto, all NBA players.

2004 team roster:

Carmello: young at the time, didn't defend, and shot 25% from the floor and 50% from the stripe.

AI: 38% from the floor, 75% from the stripe, and NOT a PG

RJ: 32% from the floor, 54% from the stripe.

Marbury: 42% from the floor, 74% from the stripe...oh yeah, and he wasn't a true PG.

Lebron: Young, but played great. Thank Larry Brown for not giving him more minutes.

Okafor: Never scored a point.

Odom: A role player, not a superstar, played well shooting almost 57% from the floor, but only 52% from the stripe.

Wade: A yet to be superstar at the time, shot 38% from the floor, and 70% from the line.

Shawn Marion: a role player, as he has been his entire career...even though he thinks he is a star.

Duncan: 57% from the floor and 75% from the stripe. Led the team in blocks by double over next highest who was Odom.

Boozer: Actually shot the highest % from the floor at 62%, but only 65% from the stripe.

Now, do you notice anything missing from that team...like say, maybe a real point guard. Marbury led the team with 3.4 assist per game average.

Now, do you notice anything else missing?...like maybe Shaq, Kobe, Amare, Kidd, or Garnett.

Where, other than Timmy was the shot blocking?

Can you figure it out from here, or do you require more help?

Gutter92
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
callo, don't bother..this dude is a known kobe nuthugger /duncan, lebron, shaq hater from realgm...you can't convince him that either of those 3 are greater players than Kobe even though Kobe only has 1 Finals/regular season MVP while Duncan and Shaq have 3 a piece.

HarlemHeat37
05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Duncan wasn't great in the Olympics, no doubt about that..he wasn't nearly as bad as some people would believe though..as shown with Dwight Howard on the Redeem Team, low-post American players don't fair as well in that type of game compared to the dominance we see from them in the NBA..

Duncan wasn't as good for those reasons, and also due to the poor officiating IMO..a lot of ticky-tack calls..it also hurt that the team had horrible spacing, the best 3-point shooter on the team being Allen fucking Iverson, meaning Duncan had no spacing at all..very poorly assembled team, the best players outside of Duncan all being benched by Larry Brown, and it was all apparent..

Duncan's usage % was also just 20, which is very low for a guy that is supposed to be the main option on the team..that's what happens when you have Iverson and Marbury playing the most minutes on the team..

Yes, I know Unbiased Fan is a Laker troll, my post is intended for those that actually wonder why Duncan wasn't as good as we see in the NBA..

Gutter92
05-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I've never been to realgm in my life... next.

Read who callo quoted and then see who I responded to....next.

ezzizle
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM

Discuss

AI in his prime WAS a superstar.

Biggems
05-04-2010, 12:38 AM
What about Nash? Was Garnett in China?

btw, Duncan was put on a crap team....most of those guys didnt want to play as a team...they were all about themselves out there. It was horrible. I dont blame Duncan for being frustrated and not wanting to ever play again.

Bob Lanier
05-04-2010, 12:48 AM
AI in his prime WAS a superstar.
Which goes to show just how meaningless the word is. A superstar ≠ a great player.