PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: Improved game has George Hill playing bigger role for Spurs

Ocotillo
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Improved game has George Hill playing bigger role for Spurs

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2010/05/02/george%20hillx.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2010-05-02-george-hill-expanded-role_N.htm

By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY
A year ago, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich couldn't afford to give rookie guard George Hill many quality minutes in a first-round playoff series loss to the Dallas Mavericks.

This season? Popovich couldn't afford not to play Hill in the first round against Dallas. In San Antonio's four victories, Hill averaged 18.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.5 steals. The Spurs wouldn't have won the series without him.

"He's become very reliable. He's played the most minutes (among guards) for us because he's been unbelievable," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said.

Hill carried the team in the 92-89 Game 4 win, when forward Tim Duncan, guard Tony Parker and Ginobili shot 26% combined from the field. Hill had a game-high 29 points on 11-for-16 shooting and 5-for-6 on three-pointers.

His defense also limited Dallas' guards, and that same two-way effort is necessary if the seventh-seeded Spurs can upset the third-seeded Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals.

Game 1 is Monday in Phoenix (10:30 ET, TNT).

It's another challenge for Hill —Jason Kidd in the first round, Steve Nash in the next.

"I'm pleased with his game," Popovich said. " 'Surprised' would indicate you didn't expect much. I was waiting to see what we would get. I had no expectations. I had hopes."

Score another victory for the Spurs' player personnel staff. They have a knack for finding contributors late in the draft.

It's not as if Hill played for one of college basketball's premier programs. Not Indiana. Not Purdue. But Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis — IUPUI for short. The 2007-08 Summit League player of the year never got to an NCAA or NIT tournament game.

An IUPUI player had never been drafted until Hill.

But the Spurs found him. After teaching him their system last season, the Spurs needed production from Hill, and he responded. After scoring 5.7 points in 16.5 minutes a game last season, Hill averaged 12.4 points in 29 minutes and tied for second in the most improved player voting.

"If you knew my game from high school and college, I always got better the next year," Hill said. "I never came back the same player. I knew coming into this year it was going to be a big year and I would improve if I was given the chance."

He was a shooting guard in college, but Popovich developed him into a point guard. Popovich also had to convince Hill to be more selfish and less deferential to the veterans.

"They've been through the fire and the Finals, so you tend to be a role player, but Coach Pop doesn't want me to be a role player," Hill said. "In reality, it makes it a lot easier for them if you can attack."

At halftime of Game 6 in the Dallas series, Popovich told Hill he was complacent and deferring. "He was being Mr. Nice Guy trying to fit in. 'To hell with the rest of the team, go get your name in the paper. Go score,' " Popovich said.
Hill scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half, including 10 in the fourth quarter. He loves the corner three and made two from that spot in the fourth.

In late March, Popovich said the Spurs would be in trouble without Hill on the court.

It's still true in early May.

WildcardManu
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Can't wait for the game tonight.