PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2 movie question

Cant_Be_Faded
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
This is for the shagiafrosts of the forum

What the fuck is up with the side character selection of this movie?

War machine?
Whiplash?

GMAFB
All the massive reservoir of characters in the Marvel Universe and they pick big old slow grey tank-like war machine, and fucking Whiplash?

I get Nick Fury. I'm a big SLJackson fan. And I get Black Widow. The movie needs more eye-candy than an aging Gwenyth and the character makes sense with the whole S.H.I.E.L.D. undercurrent.

But War Machine and Whiplash really blow my mind. Especially Whiplash.

It's almost as if Marvel got scared with the X-Men franchise of introducing too many characters unnecessarily and so they scaled it back.

I like Rourke, he's a fucking bad ass deluxe, but they could have picked any number of other villains. Hell, they could have even had him fight the fucking Hulk. That would have been uber.

So what's up with the character selection and do you agree with it?

tlongII
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I like it. Iron Man is all about RDJ in my opinion and I like Mickey Rourke as well. The choice of villain is not all that important in my opinion.

Scola
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Agree about Whiplash, they could of done better, but I'm kinda feeling War machine.
I really liked the first movie and have hopes they won't mess this one up :]

Love Mickey Rourke and I don't give a shit about the comics. Looks great to me.

Except for Scarlett Johannson. Her presence in this move almost makes me want to boycott it. Outside of Lost In Translation, there's not one movie she's been in that I've enjoyed. She's easily the most overrated human on earth, in terms of both looks and talent.

Overrated ! wtf?!
Yes her acting talent is only average, but look-wise shes a 20 on a 10 point scale !

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:PXvKlrFVz4-INM:http://xrayvision.today.com/files/2009/09/scarlett_johansson.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8pn54FZ-5IO4hM:http://cdn.giantmag.com/files//2008/12/scarlett_johansson.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vcQVzgoEkHEzfM:http://deceiver.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/scarlett_johansson.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
dont forget olivia munn in the movie too

Scola
05-03-2010, 09:38 PM

You serious? What role does she play?

BlackSwordsMan
05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
You serious? What role does she play?

a reporter who interviews stan lee

BlackSwordsMan
05-03-2010, 10:05 PM
actually this was just posted
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/05/03/iron-man-2-jon-favreau-olivia-munn-role/

balli
05-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I just hope they give a bit role to Ghostface. And keep it in the film this time.

Mister Sinister
05-04-2010, 03:14 AM
This is for the shagiafrosts of the forum

What the fuck is up with the side character selection of this movie?

War machine?
Whiplash?

GMAFB
All the massive reservoir of characters in the Marvel Universe and they pick big old slow grey tank-like war machine, and fucking Whiplash?

I get Nick Fury. I'm a big SLJackson fan. And I get Black Widow. The movie needs more eye-candy than an aging Gwenyth and the character makes sense with the whole S.H.I.E.L.D. undercurrent.

But War Machine and Whiplash really blow my mind. Especially Whiplash.

It's almost as if Marvel got scared with the X-Men franchise of introducing too many characters unnecessarily and so they scaled it back.

I like Rourke, he's a fucking bad ass deluxe, but they could have picked any number of other villains. Hell, they could have even had him fight the fucking Hulk. That would have been uber.

So what's up with the character selection and do you agree with it?

I agree with Whiplash. Movieverse Whiplash is a composite character of Whiplash (Code name, power-set) and one of the Crimson Dynamos (Real Name, Russian origin). Given that, originally, in the comics, Iron Man's enemies were to represent communism, just as the X-Men's represented racism, the Crimson Dynamo part of the composition does make sense.

I also agree with War Machine. From the moment Terrence Howard said, "Next time, baby!" in the first movie, fans were clamoring for War Machine, some even disappointed that he wasn't in the first film. Again, in the comics, Rhodey himself actually took on the Iron Man mantle for a time. The second film is not a straight-up adaptation of the classic "Demon In A Bottle" storyline, but rather, in the words of Favreau, "more about the interim space between the origin and 'Demon' stories."

I'd also point out that the Iron Man movie franchise is planned as a trilogy, ultimately building towards Iron Man's biggest nemesis, The Mandarin, as well as, in the larger sense, ultimately tying in to Tony Stark's involvement in The Avengers, of which (in the comics, again) he was an original member along with Thor (movie planned, in production), the Hulk (movie, sequels planned), Ant-Man (property optioned for a movie) and the Wasp (ditto).

Also, /nerdrant, tl;dr, etc.

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2010, 03:20 AM
no chance a new hulk movie comes out before avengers

Also whiplash ain't the only villain, sam rockwell has a shitload of ripoff ironmans, that iron man goes after

MI21
05-04-2010, 03:22 AM
I was slightly disappointed in the movie and am not sure why they bothered casting Scarlett.

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2010, 03:24 AM
I was slightly disappointed in the movie and am not sure why they bothered casting Scarlett.

well if its anything like "the ultimates" at some point she gets an arrow to the face.

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 03:41 AM
well if its anything like "the ultimates" at some point she gets an arrow to the face.

:lol

She really screws stuff up in the Ultimates world...

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
:lol

She really screws stuff up in the Ultimates world...

She wasted Jarvis, got cap arrested, and killed Hawkeye's family.

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
She wasted Jarvis, got cap arrested, and killed Hawkeye's family.

If I had to pick one "Ultimates" moment to put in a movie, it would definitely be where Cap finds Giant-Man in the bar, goads him into growing, and STILL kicks the shit out of him.

Iron Man
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
i like it. Iron man is all about rdj in my opinion and i like mickey rourke as well. The choice of villain is not all that important in my opinion.

+1

lefty
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Agree about Whiplash, they could of done better, but I'm kinda feeling War machine.
I really liked the first movie and have hopes they won't mess this one up :]

Overrated ! wtf?!
Yes her acting talent is only average, but look-wise shes a 20 on a 10 point scale !

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:PXvKlrFVz4-INM:http://xrayvision.today.com/files/2009/09/scarlett_johansson.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8pn54FZ-5IO4hM:http://cdn.giantmag.com/files//2008/12/scarlett_johansson.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vcQVzgoEkHEzfM:http://deceiver.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/scarlett_johansson.jpg

Considering the chick in your signature, I'm seriously questioning your taste

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultimates 3 kinda ruined it for me, glad they made it so quicksilver and scarlett witch weren't actually related though

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM

yeah. i freaked out when i saw she was in it. hell, she could hold a tub of butter or cream and she'd be great. she's a fine specimen..............from oklahoma?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

Mister Sinister
05-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Ultimates 3 kinda ruined it for me, glad they made it so quicksilver and scarlett witch weren't actually related though
You know what ruined it for me? Ultimatum.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I agree with Whiplash. Movieverse Whiplash is a composite character of Whiplash (Code name, power-set) and one of the Crimson Dynamos (Real Name, Russian origin). Given that, originally, in the comics, Iron Man's enemies were to represent communism, just as the X-Men's represented racism, the Crimson Dynamo part of the composition does make sense.

I also agree with War Machine. From the moment Terrence Howard said, "Next time, baby!" in the first movie, fans were clamoring for War Machine, some even disappointed that he wasn't in the first film. Again, in the comics, Rhodey himself actually took on the Iron Man mantle for a time. The second film is not a straight-up adaptation of the classic "Demon In A Bottle" storyline, but rather, in the words of Favreau, "more about the interim space between the origin and 'Demon' stories."

I'd also point out that the Iron Man movie franchise is planned as a trilogy, ultimately building towards Iron Man's biggest nemesis, The Mandarin, as well as, in the larger sense, ultimately tying in to Tony Stark's involvement in The Avengers, of which (in the comics, again) he was an original member along with Thor (movie planned, in production), the Hulk (movie, sequels planned), Ant-Man (property optioned for a movie) and the Wasp (ditto).

Also, /nerdrant, tl;dr, etc.

Nice response.

See last time I was into Iron Man was roughly 1995 and I remember Mandarin being his main enemy. But I figured by then it had changed. I mean. That was 15 years ago and I had assumed that was a recent villain.

Do you think we'll see some Mandarin cameo or lead-in in this 2nd movie?

Also I always imagined Mandarin as Lo-Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

Mister Sinister
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice response.

See last time I was into Iron Man was roughly 1995 and I remember Mandarin being his main enemy. But I figured by then it had changed. I mean. That was 15 years ago and I had assumed that was a recent villain.

Do you think we'll see some Mandarin cameo or lead-in in this 2nd movie?

Also I always imagined Mandarin as Lo-Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.
I'd say if there is anything, it's going to be subtle like it was in the first one. For those who may have forgotten, the "Ten Rings" group is a reference to the Mandarin's, well, ten rings, and I believe the novelization of the film has Raza (the group's apparent leader) make a passing reference to "the man whose ring I wear."

MaNuMaNiAc
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
She's a shitty actress but damn Scarlett has one hell of a body. She really needs to start showing it off more though. The tight suits don't nearly compensate for her horrible acting. She needs to show some serious skin.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
http://cuppycake.ytmnd.com/

sonic21
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Scarlett was good in Lost in Translation, don't know why she has become such a shitty actress.

As for the movie, the lines in french sounded ridiculous. I mean, they were speaking French, alright. Only, they used sentences that we would never use in reeal life.

pooh
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
It's a good movie already saw it.

Mister Sinister
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Thought about making its own thread, but, eh. Here's my review. Hell, I may even start doing this for all the comic book movies. Whatever. Off we go.

After midnighting Iron Man 2, I am now more excited than ever for the Avengers and Cap movies. For any who haven't heard, the unfinished shield from the first film does appear, but its true nature is dodged, intentionally. The movie-verse canon has it that Howard Stark created Cap's shield, so my theory on this is that it's an unfinished prototype that he left behind.

The presence of Black Widow and Nick Fury served its purpose. Setting up for both The Avengers, and for the spin-off film that Fury is getting as part of SLJ's 9-picture deal with Marvel Studios. Near the end of the movie, Stark almost opens a S.H.I.E.L.D. folder labeled "Avengers Initiative," but is interrupted by Fury.

The film continued the habit of not explicitly code-naming characters. Where in the first film it was, "We're the Iron Mongers, Tony," in this it was, "You wanna be a War Machine?! Fine!" and I don't believe Whiplash was ever actually named as such in the film.

One of my few issues with the film was the presence of Justin Hammer. I enjoyed Sam Rockwell's performance, but it seemed like he was there pretty much only to give Whiplash access to tech.

Other than that, great movie, and I'm excited as balls for Cap, Thor, and Avengers. Excelsior!

--------SPOILERS AHEAD---------

The post-credits scene, and, yes, there was one, shows Phil Coulson getting out of a car in New Mexico, looking over a crater with a bunch of heavy machinery surrounding it, and calling Fury to simply say, "Sir. We've found it." The camera pans over and into the crater to reveal a hammer.

jag
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Saw this last night. It's good, and i was surprised by SJ's character. I thought she might suck, but she was solid. Overall i like Don Cheadle better than Terance Howard...but maybe that's just me.

Dr. Gonzo
05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Overall i like Don Cheadle better than Terance Howard...but maybe that's just me.

You aren't the only one. I don't like Terrance Howard at all, in any movie. Don Cheadle was good in the role. The movie was very good. I think it was as good as the first one. However, I was a little disappointed that the final battle ended so quickly. It seemed a bit anti-climactic.

CuckingFunt
05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow. I'm not happy about waiting. At all.

TIMMYD!
05-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Seeing it at 9.

DPG21920
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Going tomorrow. Wanted to go at midnight last night, but could not bring myself to do that with early work.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
What's up with the hustle and flow guy in the movie?

Does he have a big part? I don't even remember him from part 1.

BlackSwordsMan
05-07-2010, 08:13 PM
The post-credits scene, and, yes, there was one, shows Phil Coulson getting out of a car in New Mexico, looking over a crater with a bunch of heavy machinery surrounding it, and calling Fury to simply say, "Sir. We've found it." The camera pans over and into the crater to reveal a hammer.

sweet the return of carnage

Dr. Gonzo
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
What's up with the hustle and flow guy in the movie?

Does he have a big part? I don't even remember him from part 1.

He was Roddy. Terrance Howard annoys the shit out of me. I'm glad he is gone.

DJ Mbenga
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
was i the only one that thought gwyneth destroyed scarlet in the looks departmetn in the movie? dont get me wrong id fuck johansen but damn she was looking good

pooh
05-08-2010, 02:05 AM
well being that the SPurs tanked tonight, I'm going to watch Iron Man2 right now on the PC, it was good earlier this week shoudl be again now. night folks

CubanSucks
05-08-2010, 05:11 AM
was i the only one that thought gwyneth destroyed scarlet in the looks departmetn in the movie? dont get me wrong id fuck johansen but damn she was looking good

face: Gwyneth >>>>>>>>>> Scarlett

body: Gwyneth <<<<<<<<<< Scarlett

CubanSucks
05-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Great movie. Best part of the movie was easily Rourke's character. Coolest most badass superhero villain I've seen in any of these comic movies. A genius physicist himself who can kick ass even without all his special equipment :ihit

EmptyMan
05-08-2010, 07:46 AM
SPOILER

Yeah, it was a good movie. I was LMAO seeing Stark stumbling around wasted in the Iron Man suit.

TheMACHINE
05-08-2010, 10:33 AM
watched it...Scarlett was HOT!

lefty
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice movie

Another hint @ Cap America (the same shield that was in Tony's lab in IM1) and the Avengers

I have a newfound respect for Scarlett :D

LnGrrrR
05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I would've seen this already, if my kid wasn't teething... :lol

MannyIsGod
05-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Saw it this morning. I thought Scarlett had the best scene in the entire movie. Overall it lived up to the hype. It was great.

EricB
05-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Seeing it toNIGHT at 10...

DPG21920
05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I am IMAXing it.

CuckingFunt
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I loved it. Probably not quite as much as the first, but that's usually to be expected for a sequel.

Also, Scarlett Johansson is nothing short of spectacular.

DJ Mbenga
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/iron_man_2_johansson_paltrow.jpg

redzero
05-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I lol'd at the part with Captain America's shield.

DPG21920
05-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I loved it. Probably not quite as much as the first, but that's usually to be expected for a sequel.

Also, Scarlett Johansson is nothing short of spectacular.

Really, that is the part from the previews I thought would derail this movie. Surprising.

CuckingFunt
05-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Boring ass movie. Took a shit load of eye candy just to make me sit through it.

Yeah. Robert Downey, Jr. is pretty sexy.

lefty
05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I left before the post-credit scene

I told my friend to wait, bcause i had the feeling they would show something after the credits, and he was "naah"

Fuck.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
tbh I thought everything was great except for Scarlett. I thought her performance was pretty bland, per the usual for her. She didn't look natural at all as some ass kicking superhero.

Definitely not as good as the first one tho.

EricB
05-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I thought it was great... All great stuff..

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Its pretty stupid they didn't mention the "ten rings" in this one. FYI that's who helped whiplash get a fake passport, that's why he was asian.

TheMACHINE
05-09-2010, 02:43 AM
I couldnt take agent coulson seriously. I kept on thinking that he is talking to julia louis-dreyfus :lol

pooh
05-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah the added ending was Nick Fury's guards finding Thor's hammer out in the desert.

Mister Sinister
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
It's been confirmed that there will be a third movie, and that the villain will, as expected, be the Mandarin.

lefty
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
It's been confirmed that there will be a third movie, and that the villain will, as expected, be the Mandarin.

I think the Mandarin is the guy we see in that Iron Man 2 scene, when Stark is on his way to Rourke's prison cell :

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/7601/Thor%20Cameo%203.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Mandrin1.jpg/250px-Mandrin1.jpg

florige
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Part if me wants to see it again. I totally missed the scene when Fury and Tony are talking and they had the news on in the background showing the college the Hulk tore up. I hate when I miss things like that because I called myself paying attention. So if that timeline is any indication, The Hulk and Iron Man 2 takes place at the same time.

Whisky Dog
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Saw this last night. It's good, and i was surprised by SJ's character. I thought she might suck, but she was solid. Overall i like Don Cheadle better than Terance Howard...but maybe that's just me.

I'm a fan of Don Cheadle, usually like him in his movies, but in this one his performance was weak and had no depth. I don't know if Howard would be better or not, but I was disappointed in the performance and/or character.

EricB
05-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Agreed WD. Lookng back on it, IMO, Cheadle's performance was OK. Terrance HOward just seemed like a more believable character. Cheadle, it just didn't work for me.

Also, all this sub stuff in the movie, how the F do you guys see this stuff :lol

Mister Sinister
05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Agreed WD. Lookng back on it, IMO, Cheadle's performance was OK. Terrance HOward just seemed like a more believable character. Cheadle, it just didn't work for me.

Also, all this sub stuff in the movie, how the F do you guys see this stuff :lol
:lol Well, I'm a comic book geek. I also dispatch for security at conventions, so I notice stuff.

Sisk
05-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Sub stuff? What's sub stuff?

Trainwreck2100
05-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Part if me wants to see it again. I totally missed the scene when Fury and Tony are talking and they had the news on in the background showing the college the Hulk tore up. I hate when I miss things like that because I called myself paying attention. So if that timeline is any indication, The Hulk and Iron Man 2 takes place at the same time.

Obviously, the end of the Hulk takes place when Stark is a consultant for the Avenger Initiative, whilst in IM2 he hadn't joined up

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2010, 06:18 AM
finally got to watch it

something i dont get with this movie was ironman+warmachine was finghtin against inferior suits with no titanium steel plates armor, only whiplash was decent but then again that suit lacked firepower....

not familiar with capt america or avengers bs, will they be like normal guys with hi tech stuff? or ppl with super natural powers = lame....

Mister Sinister
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
finally got to watch it

something i dont get with this movie was ironman+warmachine was finghtin against inferior suits with no titanium steel plates armor, only whiplash was decent but then again that suit lacked firepower....

not familiar with capt america or avengers bs, will they be like normal guys with hi tech stuff? or ppl with super natural powers = lame....
As far as I know, MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) Cap will be more similar to mainstream comics Cap, where he's basically a Badass Normal. Ultimate-verse Cap, is, if I remember right, explicitly stated to be superhuman, whereas 616 Cap's are directly from the Super Soldier Serum/Vita-Ray combination, elevating him to the height of human potential, or something like that.

Trainwreck2100
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
As far as I know, MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) Cap will be more similar to mainstream comics Cap, where he's basically a Badass Normal. Ultimate-verse Cap, is, if I remember right, explicitly stated to be superhuman, whereas 616 Cap's are directly from the Super Soldier Serum/Vita-Ray combination, elevating him to the height of human potential, or something like that.

Son 616 Cap doesn't have superpowers correct, he is limited by his human potential. The difference is his battle experience is better than anyone he goes up against