PDA

View Full Version : George Hill: You just lost your Starting Job

Creation88
05-04-2010, 12:29 AM
and all you people under-appreciated Parker. Hill is absolutely terrible (matt bonner terrible) on the road.

DMX7
05-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Against Steve Nash he is.

Creation88
05-04-2010, 12:31 AM
no against the ROAD he is

DMX7
05-04-2010, 12:32 AM
no against the ROAD he is

he played well Game 5 last series.

TDMVPDPOY
05-04-2010, 12:33 AM
lol base on one game? gtfo u clowns

MannyIsGod
05-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your one line thread. I'm sure we all needed to read your one original (haha) line.

Creation88
05-04-2010, 12:37 AM
lol base on one game? gtfo u clowns

he was terrible last series on the Road.

wimped out Game 1, absolutely terrible Game 2, decent Game 3. he's not consistent enough. today was his worst game of the season, nash ate him for dinner.

DesignatedT
05-04-2010, 12:38 AM
he cant guard any of their starters. Hope he can figure something out.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 12:41 AM
The mass reactionism on this forum is always hilarious.

Yes, Hill was God awful tonight, no two ways about it. But it's just one game...

rayray2k8
05-04-2010, 12:42 AM
It's pretty obvious that Pop will start Parker in game 2. Suns have no answer for Tony. A good indication of that was when Parker started in the 2nd half.

Mr. Peabody
05-04-2010, 12:43 AM
he was terrible last series on the Road.

wimped out Game 1, absolutely terrible Game 2, decent Game 3. he's not consistent enough. today was his worst game of the season, nash ate him for dinner.

Wasn't he coming off an injury in Game 1 and 2 last series?

fyatuk
05-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Both Tony and Manu won't start together for very long, if Hill does go to the bank. The Spurs need ONE of them on the bench.

silverblk mystix
05-04-2010, 12:45 AM
hill will be back next game---he seems to have been listening to all the praise and then he wet the bed...

but he is a competitor and he will bounce back...

but he does NOT appear to be able to handle Nash

for those who said that he was ALREADY better at defense than Parker----I hope you were watching tonight...

Cant_Be_Faded
05-04-2010, 12:46 AM
George with a team worst -22 :depressed

blkroadrunners
05-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Wasn't he coming off an injury in Game 1 and 2 last series?

Exactly, and he reaggrevated his ankle in Gm1...

baseline bum
05-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm OK with George starting game 2. Just not at point guard.

Spurtacus
Stick with Hill. He was awful tonight but adjustments will be made. Who says Parker will play like he did tonight?

rayray2k8
Hill usually plays better at home, he'll bounce back.

DontStopBelieving
05-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Either put Hill or Manu on the bench. This is Tony and Tim's series. If neither of those guys step up, we are screwed.

Doe
05-04-2010, 12:51 AM
The mass reactionism on this forum is always hilarious.

Yes, Hill was God awful tonight, no two ways about it. But it's just one game...

True that's the bi-polar nature of the forum. People were talking about trading Parker so Hill could play more and now he's apparently a choker on the road.

They'll show him film, he'll make adjustments, and I expect him to bounce back. I do hope Parker starts though, Hill has absolutely proven that he cannot guard elite PG's.

scottspurs
05-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah I think starting George has run its course. It's time to put the ball in TP's hands.

BillMc
05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Nash had a fantastic game, schooled young Hill, but Pop will deal with it in practice. If I were a Suns fan, I'd be worried. Nash was on fire, but the game was still in doubt in the final 2 minutes.

As a Spurs fan, my biggest worry is our bench suddenly seems to suck (except for Parker who plays starter's minutes. SOMEONE is going to have to step up.) Also, RJ needs to reappear. Too bad Pop already played the "dogs" speech. The first time you yell, they'll listen. But they will tune you out eventually.

Creation88
05-04-2010, 01:06 AM
hello people, if you didnt' watch the game, Tony tore it up in the 2nd half. no doubt Hill goes back to the bench.

Mr. Peabody
05-04-2010, 01:15 AM
So, we do well at the end of the season with Hill starting. We dispatch the number 2 seed with Hill starting. But now, we should become reactionary and start shuffling our lineup because we lost a road game to the 3 seed, a game that we would have won had we made our damn free throws.

honestfool84
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
hello people, if you didnt' watch the game, Tony tore it up in the 2nd half. no doubt Hill goes back to the bench.

Coach Pop? shouldn't you be at the hotel resting instead of on this forum?

oh, wait... :rolleyes you're not Pop.

honestfool84
05-04-2010, 01:17 AM
So, we do well at the end of the season with Hill starting. We dispatch the number 2 seed with Hill starting. But now, we should become reactionary and start shuffling our lineup because we lost a road game to the 3 seed, a game that we would have won had we made our damn free throws.

+1

thank you, Mr. Peabody. what a level-headed comment to say.

ajGambino
05-04-2010, 01:19 AM

No doubt.

BillMc
05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
It was only a few days ago that people were talking about trading Parker because Hill had become so good. I love the emotional swings (myself included) on these boards...

NewJerSpur
05-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Well, I think Tony definitely has to start in this series, which would lead to either Hill or Manu coming off the bench. Manu and TP create the easiest scoring opportunities either for themselves or others around them. Hill might very well get another shot and produce, but he's going to need to match the effort brought to the table to start the 2nd half.

crc21209
05-04-2010, 01:24 AM
The Playoffs are about match-ups just like Kenny said. The Mavs series suited Hill to start more, while this series is TP's to start. With TP starting, he puts pressure right back on Nash to work on D...

J.T.
05-04-2010, 01:31 AM
The Spurs can still win this series. Obviously the first adjustment is going to have to be starting Parker. I questioned keeping Hill in the starting lineup to begin this series and didn't like it about five seconds after the tip-off. Hill had a bad game. He didn't hit the shots he hit against the Mavs and probably made every Phoenix player's poster at least once in this game. Tim Duncan's piss poor free throw shooting is probably one reason we lost. The team hit shots they weren't hitting in the first half, but didn't get to the line as much in the 2nd. They need to be more aggressive. I thought Tim sandbagged the entire first half.

Bottomline is the Spurs lost an up and down game on the road in an extremely hostile environment to a team they have repeatedly owned. The Suns get up to play us the way we get up to play the Mavs. I honestly saw this coming in the first quarter when Hill was getting face fucked by Nash. The rest of the way we're going to need RJ to become a legitimate scoring option and probably abandon that terrible lineup Pop was going with either Ginobili or Parker combined with the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th man on the roster. That shit utterly killed us to end the 3rd quarter, which is where the game was basically lost.

J.T.
05-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Spurs win the next 3 btw.

awktalk
05-04-2010, 01:37 AM
The rest of the way we're going to need RJ to become a legitimate scoring option and probably abandon that terrible lineup Pop was going with either Ginobili or Parker combined with the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th man on the roster. That shit utterly killed us to end the 3rd quarter, which is where the game was basically lost.

+1

What the fuck was that lineup at the end of the 3rd? I think it was Bogans, Mason, Hill, Gino, and Bonner. How is that possibly going to be successful? We had it cut to 4 and let it balloon back to double-digits.

jag
05-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Expectations got too high.

kace
05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
hill is a good player to have with a lot of upside.

the problem is the overreaction/overrating from most fans.

Imagine that Hill was voted the MVP of the serie against the mavs on ST. The MVP :lol

which means if you had to give up a player on that serie, you choose Tim, Tony or Manu over Hill. that's just stupid.

Hill still belongs to the supporting cast, even if he's our best role player.

Creation88
05-04-2010, 01:42 AM
The Playoffs are about match-ups just like Kenny said. The Mavs series suited Hill to start more, while this series is TP's to start. With TP starting, he puts pressure right back on Nash to work on D...

THIS all day.

it's about the matchups and Hill proved today that he's horrible on nash defensively and that he can't push the ball or create defensive problems for the suns.

honestfool84
05-04-2010, 01:48 AM
THIS all day.

it's about the matchups and Hill proved today that he's horrible on nash defensively and that he can't push the ball or create defensive problems for the suns.

it was ONE FREAKING GAME.

overreacting this way is just as bad as the Suns' fans singing at the end of the game: OVERREACTING.

Tim Duncan had a crappy Game 3 (by his standards) vs the Mavs... you gonna start Blair over him?

NewJerSpur
05-04-2010, 01:55 AM
I think overreacting would be wanting George to see no part of this series because he had a bad game 1. Having him coming off the bench doesn't lessen anything he did in the last series or make him any less important in this one. I could see him subbing in when Tim goes out and playing with Manu, Dice, Tony, and Blair to match up against Phoenix's 2nd unit.

jag
05-04-2010, 01:59 AM

overreacting this way is just as bad as the Suns' fans singing at the end of the game: OVERREACTING.

Tim Duncan had a crappy Game 3 (by his standards) vs the Mavs... you gonna start Blair over him?

Hill hasn't ever been able to guard Nash. Not during this regular season, and not during last regular season. Nash always outsmarts him off the pick n roll.

honestfool84
05-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Hill hasn't ever been able to guard Nash. Not during this regular season, and not during last regular season. Nash always outsmarts him off the pick n roll.

you may have a point there... and i suppose we'll see how Pop reacts in Game 2.

DAF86
05-04-2010, 02:07 AM
We need Parker to be the MVP of this series if we're going to win it, so yeah I think we should start him. However I wouldn't like to see Hill's confidence take a hit if he's placed on the bench.

jag
05-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Hopefully tony starts and George gets his minutes on Dragic. Nash is just too crafty for Hill. Hill and Dragic should be an even/solid matchup.

stéphane
05-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Well if you're a long time spurs fan you know Tony has his ways against them and knowing psychologically what kind of player he is, if he's reinserted in the starting 5 he will want to show he belongs and either force the outcome by being too agressive or he'll take over and rape them.

bigdog
05-04-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't know. I could still see Hill starting, but at the 2 instead of PG. I don't think you can start both Manu AND TP. One of them has to be coming off the bench. George hasn't really ever had success against Nash. Starting TP makes Nash actually care about defense. Tim and Tony are the ones that own this series matchup-wise, so Tony should be starting. Manu off the bench makes sense because they need a spark off the bench.

Creation88
05-04-2010, 02:49 AM

:sleep

ThaiFanofSpurs
05-04-2010, 02:59 AM
i don't know. I could still see hill starting, but at the 2 instead of pg. I don't think you can start both manu and tp. One of them has to be coming off the bench. George hasn't really ever had success against nash. Starting tp makes nash actually care about defense. Tim and tony are the ones that own this series matchup-wise, so tony should be starting. Manu off the bench makes sense because they need a spark off the bench.

+1

But putting TP alone on Nash could burn a lot of energy out from TP too. The team transition D is very important in this series. The good thing about starting TP is that he can put a lot of pressure on the Suns' D and, if it's about the match-up, I always see TP doing well against Nash and the Suns in the POs.

kace
05-04-2010, 03:49 AM
+1

But putting TP alone on Nash could burn a lot of energy out from TP too. The team transition D is very important in this series. The good thing about starting TP is that he can put a lot of pressure on the Suns' D and, if it's about the match-up, I always see TP doing well against Nash and the Suns in the POs.

The spurs never lost in PO against a team whose the franchise player was a PG (nash, cp3, d-will...). Because TP always match, and so, erases their production by defending them decently (especially staying in front of them and/or funneling them into our bigs) and making them work hard on D.

that lets the two teams rosters facing each others without their PG production, and with tim and manu, i like our chances.

so make TP play the most with Nash on the court is a good thing.

The only bad thing that could happens by starting TP now is, like Stephane said, if TP thinks he needs to be the savior and do too much.

Bukefal
05-04-2010, 04:15 AM
TP needs to start. Hill sucks pretty bad. :toast Here's to the people who were saying Hill can replace Parker and maybe even being better yet. :lol Not yet, maybe int he future.

We'll see what Pop does.

flacura
05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Come on, George Hill is learning, 2nd year, not easy at all

Nash MVP a couple of times, a super star guard

Give George a break, he is doing great

Shank
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Guess it's not so easy when you don't have to defend slow-ass Jason Kidd now, is it?

fyatuk
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Guess it's not so easy when you don't have to defend slow-ass Jason Kidd now, is it?

It's certainly partly the speed (and general craftyness of Nash), but a lot of it is that Hill needs to work on his ability to deal with screens. The Mavs don't really run Kidd off screens all that much (leaving that to Terry and Barrea, usually off the ball). The Suns run a lot of pick-and-roll with the ball handlers, so if George is going to guard them he'll have to deal with screens.

That's one thing Bowen was a master of. Bruce could get through or around screens better than anyone, and our young IUPUI needs to study him on that aspect. Hill is just WAY too slow getting around screens and picks.

bigzak25
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
team defense will save the day.

the long layoff did the spurs a single disservice in that it dissipated their intensity. i think it was to be expected actually.

Hill will look at the tape and will do better on nash, but more importantly, i expect the team as a whole to raise their level of defensive play once again and force the suns out of their element...

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Hill is a second year player who is trying to guard one of the best to ever lace 'em up. He is probably in over his head...that said, I think he can adjust over a few games, but I agree that Tony should start this series. Hill has not shown the ability to guard small quick guards AT ALL...especially not future HOFs.

Tony knows how to play Nash on both ends...and he bagan playing Championship D in round 1, so you can't knock him there.

Wonder how Garrett Temple could do out there? Shure would like to play him 10 mins or so on Nash and find out. Give him RMJ's time.

beachwood
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Hopefully tony starts and George gets his minutes on Dragic. Nash is just too crafty for Hill. Hill and Dragic should be an even/solid matchup.

Exactly. And JRich is too big and athletic for Hill. Hill on Dragic is the way to go.

jb4g
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't know. I could still see Hill starting, but at the 2 instead of PG. I don't think you can start both Manu AND TP. One of them has to be coming off the bench. George hasn't really ever had success against Nash. Starting TP makes Nash actually care about defense. Tim and Tony are the ones that own this series matchup-wise, so Tony should be starting. Manu off the bench makes sense because they need a spark off the bench.

agreed, and Manu could also help get the Beast going, we need a good contribution from him this series on the offensive end.

Creation88
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
anyone still wanna argue that Hill should've started? horrible on the road.