PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Who ya got?

benefactor
05-04-2010, 05:44 AM
They are two pretty different bands. One has a more pure rock sound and the other is more psychedelic.

I'll take Zeppelin.

leemajors
05-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I can't really listen to either anymore. Plant's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me now.

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I can't really listen to either anymore. Plant's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me now.

Yeah, but the riffs still kick ass.

Overall though, I gotta take Pink Floyd. Too many times I listened to them in my formative years to abandon them now. I still remember chilling with friends, Dark Side of the Moon, that jazzy trumpet in the background... I'm a sucker for horns.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Bonzo's backbeat, alone, is greater than anything Pink Floyd ever produced. Pee-ree-uhhd

Sense
05-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Pink Floyd...

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Floyd without a doubt ...

tlongII
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Definitely very different styles of music. I prefer Pink Floyd though.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
The early Zeppelin is my preference (< '72). But Pink Floyd is my favorite group. While they'll never have the true rocker tendencies of Zeppelin along with the blistering guitar and drum solos, no one did the 70's as psychedelic as Floyd.

JudynTX
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Zeppelin

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Both are a couple all-time favorites of many. The early Zeppelin especially for me (< '72). But Floyd is my favorite group for a reason. While they'll never have the true rocker tendencies of Zeppelin along with the blistering guitar and drum solos, no one did the 70's as psychedelic as the Floyd.

Haha that's exactly why I prefer Pink Floyd. I've found many of those "blistering guitar and drum solos" to be one LONG snooze fest :sleep :sleep

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
"bistering.......drum solos"  only one was on a studio release unless you're talking about live bootlegs and you followed those. Even then it was only for 1 song. Too funny.

shelshor
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Pink Floyd

Dex
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Floyd, no question.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Haha that's exactly why I prefer Pink Floyd. I've found many of those "blistering guitar and drum solos" to be one LONG snooze fest :sleep :sleep

Floyd have more rather extended jams themselves, but it's all about texturing of sound over showmanship.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
"bistering.......drum solos"  only one was on a studio release unless you're talking about live bootlegs and you followed those. Even then it was only for 1 song. Too funny.

You don't consider a lead guitar fill at the end of a verse to be soloing?

What happens when there's a drum fill instead of a guitar line, is that soloing?

balli
05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Pink Floyd were great, progressive musicians. Unfortunately, their strongest suit (technical skill) doesn't stand next to that of Jimmy Page; even when Page was sloppy as hell. Like, Page's slop was more solid than Pink Floyd's air tight musical wizardry.

In no other aspect do they even come close to matching Zeppelin. Zeppelin in a landslide.

That said, these bands are for 15 year olds. Neither us all that mature or in possession of any real depth. Especially Pink Floyd; lol at people getting all into the philosophy and shit of a progressive rock band. Sorry folks, wisdom doesn't come with admission to laser light shows.

Pistons < Spurs
05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I've always found Floyd to be extremely overrated. I don't view them as any sort of exceptional band, whereas Zeppelin is one of the best of all time IMO.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
You don't consider a lead guitar fill at the end of a verse to be soloing?hmmm. I believe I omitted "guitar" from what I quoted. Hence I acknowledge there are "guitar solos".

What happens when there's a drum fill instead of a guitar line, is that soloing?
Well if there's a drum fill.......then there's a drum fill. Pretty cut and dry there. You probably aren't using the terms correctly or something. I don't know. A fill comes at the end of a phrase to kinda bring in the next phrase of a tune. Soloing is soloing. Solo=one.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm using the correct term - you're limiting the definition of 'solo' for no reason. Drum filler is harder than soloing, even, since you're keeping a beat at the same time with the same hands and feet.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Pink Floyd were great, progressive musicians. Unfortunately, their strongest suit (technical skill) doesn't stand next to that of Jimmy Page; even when Page was sloppy as hell. Like, Page's slop was more solid than Pink Floyd's air tight musical wizardry.

In no other aspect do they even come close to matching Zeppelin. Zeppelin in a landslide.

That said, these bands are for 15 year olds. Neither us all that mature or in possession of any real depth. Especially Pink Floyd; lol at people getting all into the philosophy and shit of a progressive rock band. Sorry folks, wisdom doesn't come with admission to laser light shows.

:lmao at Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin being for 15 year olds. A couple of the greatest guitarists and best sellers of all time, only for 15 year olds.

you outdo yourself every single day.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm using the correct term - you're limiting the definition of 'solo' for no reason. Drum filler is harder than soloing, even, since you're keeping a beat at the same time with the same hands and feet.

:lmao

Yes. Please school me on music. I'm all ears. :lmao

balli
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
:lmao at Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin being for 15 year olds. A couple of the greatest guitarists and best sellers of all time, only for 15 year olds.

you outdo yourself every single day.

You're fucking retarded if you don't know that the words adolescent and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are often published hand in hand. That's what those bands are known for by consensus; appeal to youth, lack of depth, self-serving arrogance.

I'm pretty sure you're just a nineteen year old child yourself, so I'll give you a pass, but one day you're going to grow the fuck up to find out a lot of people left both those bands back in High School. A lot of people.

For the record, I own and have memorized just about every musical note Led Zeppelin ever produced. I can absolutely nail the entire solo on Achilles Last Stand and just about any other Zeppelin song. Presence is my favorite album. I've listened to 30x the amount of Led Zeppelin you have in your life. So when I say most people moved on from Led Zeppelin, trust me, my opinion is far more valid than yours.

BTW, you're also fucking retarded for calling David Gilmore one of the greatest guitarists of all time. You don't even begin to have a clue as to what you're talking about.

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Floyd.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
You're fucking retarded if you don't know that the words adolescent and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are often published hand in hand. That's what those bands are known for; appeal to youth.

I'm pretty sure you're just a nineteen year old child yourself, so I'll give you a pass, but one day you're going to grow the fuck up to find out a lot of people left both those bands back in High School. A lot of people.

For the record, I own and have memorized just about every musical note Led Zeppelin ever produced. I can absolutely nail the entire solo on Achilles Last Stand. Presence is my favorite album. I've listened to 30x the amount of Led Zeppelin you have. My opinion is more valid than yours.

:lol it must suck being intimidated by everyone's opinion.

balli
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM

It must suck not knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Yes. Please school me on music. I'm all ears. :lmao

Do you think every version of Moby Dick was the same? It's an improv drum solo. Why get surprised or find it "too funny" whenever someone says John Bonham solos, plural, then?

You honestly don't know as much as you think.

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM

LMAO

He's kind of full of himself isn't he?

balli
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
LMAO

No doubt. Call it arrogant. I call it being right, while z0sa is entirely clueless; the natural order.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
It must suck not knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

:lol stating your half-baked opinions as facts precludes you from "knowing what the fuck you're talking about."

Second, for the record, I own every Zeppelin and Floyd album, and have for over a decade. Two of my favorite groups ever and I've heard every song, and the better ones countless times.

Doesn't mean my opinion > yours.

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
No doubt. Call it arrogant. I call it being right, while z0sa is entirely clueless; the natural order.

Actually I was referring to you NOT zOsa ...

:lol

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
LMAO

Balli thinks wiping out people with a different opinion is OK.

Just like any other extremist or dare I say, terrorist.

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Balli thinks wiping out people with a different opinion is OK.

Just like any other extremist or dare I say, terrorist.

I find it entertaining that he's getting so riled up over who's better ..

Pink Floyd or Zep

balli
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
:lol stating your half-baked opinions as facts precludes you from "knowing what the fuck you're talking about."

Second, for the record, I own every Zeppelin and Floyd album, and have for over a decade. Two of my favorite groups ever and I've heard every song, and the better ones countless times.

Doesn't mean my opinion > yours.

You are not shit. You think David Gilmore is up there with Hendrix and you don't know that just about every objective and critical analysis of Floyd and Zeppelin has concluded that they made immature, adolescent music for disaffected teens. I don't know what to say other than you're wrong. That's why my opinion is more valid than yours. I'm right. You are not. Have a good afternoon.

balli
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Actually I was referring to you NOT zOsa ...

No shit bitch. You called me full of myself, I called it the natural order...

You're really dumb. So's z0sa, that's why I feel superior. I am.

Sorry I had to spell it out for you like that. I hope your brain starts working better in the future.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Please explain to me, in 500 words or less, how your taste in music could ever be more right than anyone's.

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
No shit bitch. You called me full of myself, I called it the natural order...

You're really dumb. So's z0sa, that's why I feel superior. I am.

Sorry I had to spell it out for you like that. I hope your brain starts working better in the future.

:rollin

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
You are not shit.

Neither are you.

You think David Gilmore is up there with Hendrix

Yeah, I do. Hendrix was definitely the faster player, but he used more filler than Gilmour, just like Jimmy Page does.

Like a typical 15 year old, you are only impressed by speed.

and you don't know that just about every objective and critical analysis of Floyd and Zeppelin has concluded that they made immature, adolescent music for disaffected teens.

:lol That's completely false and a logical fallacy furthermore.

I don't know what to say other than you're wrong. That's why my opinion is more valid than yours. I'm right. You are not. Have a good afternoon.

:lmao If Balli doesn't like your opinion, it's wrong.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I find it entertaining that he's getting so riled up over who's better ..

Pink Floyd or Zep

Yeah, it's ridiculous someone would be so arrogant as to actually state that one is better than the other, factually, and if you disagree you are wrong.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Do you think every version of Moby Dick was the same? It's an improv drum solo. Why get surprised or find it "too funny" whenever someone says John Bonham solos, plural, then?

You honestly don't know as much as you think.

.......only one was on a studio release unless you're talking about live bootlegs and you followed those. Even then it was only for 1 song.

You obviously don't read and/or comprehend much, do you? And your screenname makes everything so much funnier. Please, I need more schooling, master. :worthy::worthy:

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, it's ridiculous someone would be so arrogant as to actually state that one is better than the other, factually, and if you disagree you are wrong.

I guess I'm wrong cause I think Pink is much better ...

:D

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
You obviously don't read and/or comprehend much, do you?

Why should I take criticism on this subject from you?

And your screenname makes everything so much funnier.

z0sa is not zoso

Please, I need more schooling, master. :worthy::worthy:

You've been the one attempting to "school" others with your contrary opinions.

balli
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Please explain to me, in 500 words or less, how your taste in music could ever be more right than anyone's.

It's not more right than anyone's. It's more right than yours.

But I'll bite, this idea that eveyone's opinion is equally valid is such bullshit. That's why there's this whole school of journalism known as criticism. See, people have concluded that art can be measured objectively, better by some, than by others. That's why Roger Ebert gets paid millions of dollars to review movies, while you get stoned and pay 12 bucks to go see movies. Because not everybody's opinion is as valid as the opinion of the more educated man. I'd suggest you start dealing with that.

If you wanna listen to Pink Floyd, fine, knock yourself out. I'm just telling you what the stigma is. And I'm telling you it's deserved; grounded in reality. And you'd be (you are) wrong to argue otherwise. Especially under the pretense that your personal enjoyment of said art negates any and all objective analysis that came before you.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
It's not more right than anyone's. It's more right than yours.

Anyone = me too, dumbass.

balli
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I just want to re-iterate, make sure people understand the full extent of your retardation...

You think David Gilmore is up there with Hendrix

Yeah, I do.

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
But I'll bite, this idea that eveyone's opinion is equally valid is such bullshit. That's why there's this whole school of journalism known as criticism. See, people have concluded that art can be measured objectively, better by some, than by others. That's why Roger Ebert gets paid millions of dollars to review movies, while you get stoned and pay 12 bucks to go see movies. Because not everybody's opinion is as valid as the opinion of the more educated man. I'd suggest you start dealing with that.

I wouldn't quite use the fact that there are professional critics as an item in your arsenal, considering that they're being downsized left and right.

Nowadays, a critic's opinion is on near-equal standing with the majority of the masses. For instance, I can go to Rottentomatoes to see what critics think, or I can go to IMDB.com to see what people think of the movie.

While I'm not going to argue that Floyd is or isn't immature, I will say that I enjoy their music, and their lyrics are easily accesible while still being quite deeper than, say, Britney Spears.

Most critics love Radiohead... I can't say I'm a big fan of most of their work. Even if it's more mature.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:00 PM

If you wanna listen to Pink Floyd, fine, knock yourself out. I'm just telling you what the stigma is. And I'm telling you it's deserved; grounded in reality. And you'd be (you are) wrong to argue otherwise. Especially under the pretense that your personal enjoyment of said art negates any and all objective analysis that came before you.

And I'm just going to tell you

1) you're misinformed, confused, or lying. I need some sources showing Pink Floyd THE BAND specifically wrote their music for disaffected teens. I need some sources proving Led Zeppelin THE BAND, specifically wrote their music for disaffected teens.

Just because tons of teens buy their music, doesn't mean that's who they wrote it for. Logical fallacy #1

2) Just because critical, objective analysis is made, does that mean a "black and white" division has formed. You don't know shit about art, son.

3) Just because critical, objective analysis is made of a given composition, does that make one opinion more right than another concerning said composition.

If an African preferred simple drum beats to a symphony, you would call his opinion wrong?

If a man prefers short stories to novels, cartoons like Mighty Mouse to Family Guy, or his burgers without vegetables, is he now wrong?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
"Too funny"

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
David Gilmour is one of the best guitarists of the last half century.

SpursStalker
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
David Gilmour is one of the best guitarists of the last half century.

+1

:corn:

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
John Bonham performed tons of drum solos for Led Zeppelin, not including Moby Dick.

misterx91578
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Zeppelin

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Floyd is a solo experience. If that makes sense, at all. Take a long trip somewhere and listen to an album or two.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
"Too funny"

Why correct other zeppelin fans when there's nothing to correct?

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Floyd is a solo experience. If that makes sense, at all. Take a long trip somewhere and listen to an album or two.

See that makes total sense to me. I feel drawn in by Pink Floyd. Doesn't mean Led Zeppelin isn't epic or that one is better than the other. Zep's solos, and I mean guitar here, feel very closed and selfish in a way---as if it's being done only for the pleasure of the performer.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't quite use the fact that there are professional critics as an item in your arsenal, considering that they're being downsized left and right.

Nowadays, a critic's opinion is on near-equal standing with the majority of the masses. For instance, I can go to Rottentomatoes to see what critics think, or I can go to IMDB.com to see what people think of the movie.

While I'm not going to argue that Floyd is or isn't immature, I will say that I enjoy their music, and their lyrics are easily accesible while still being quite deeper than, say, Britney Spears.

Most critics love Radiohead... I can't say I'm a big fan of most of their work. Even if it's more mature.

What's funny about Balli refreshing us on how critique works is, I'm actually majoring in journalism.

Yet his opinion is SO much more right than mine :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
John Bonham performed tons of drum solos for Led Zeppelin, not including Moby Dick.

Like?

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Like?

It's across all periods of Zeppelin, every album has tons of drum work. He's not considered one of the best ever for nothing. :toast

desflood
05-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Zeppelin.

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 12:36 PM
See that makes total sense to me. I feel drawn in by Pink Floyd. Doesn't mean Led Zeppelin isn't epic or that one is better than the other. Zep's solos, and I mean guitar here, feel very closed and selfish in a way---as if it's being done only for the pleasure of the performer.

I think I get what you8 mean about selfishness. When listening to Floyd, I want to pick up every detail on the song. I don't get that same feeling with Zepp. Both are great, but it's a preference.

Stringer_Bell
05-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Musical masturbation is the realm of The Mars Volta, and only The Mars Volta. -_-

Pink Floyd beats Led Zeppelin 4-2 in a 7 game series. :king

greyforest
05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
floyd, but both bands are timeless

You're fucking retarded if you don't know that the words adolescent and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are often published hand in hand. That's what those bands are known for by consensus; appeal to youth, lack of depth, self-serving arrogance.

what kind of music did you graduate to?

i think you are confusing zeppelin and floyd for something like linkin park and green day

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
It's across all periods of Zeppelin, every album has tons of drum work. He's not considered one of the best ever for nothing. :toast

you're an endless supply........................

"work" "solo" "fill" :worthy:
worthy, i say

z0sa
05-04-2010, 12:47 PM

you're an endless supply........................

"work" "solo" "fill" :worthy:
worthy, i say

Do you play any instruments? Ever been in a band? Ever had a musical conversation with another musician? Dare I say, jammed an instrument with someone else?

These are all words that are used, very commonly by musicians, in the exact context I used them.

You are ignorant, bro. Keep rocking but stay away.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I think I get what you8 mean about selfishness. When listening to Floyd, I want to pick up every detail on the song. I don't get that same feeling with Zepp. Both are great, but it's a preference.

i equate this to when people call music "jazz" simply cuz they don't "get it". it's because there's lot's of notes, it's out of your normal spectrum of music keys youre accustomed to, or whatever.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not offending you or anyone but lots of music simply doesn't translate in certain peoples ears. you get it or you dont. there's "jazz" then there's jazz.

greyforest
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
i dislike jazz because there's no sense of patterns. the melody and progression of the song never feeds back in to itself or sets down a pattern, it just meanders aimlessly through random chords.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you play any instruments? Ever been in a band? Ever had a musical conversation with another musician? Dare I say, jammed an instrument with someone else?

These are all words that are used, very commonly by musicians, in the exact context I used them.

You are ignorant, bro. Keep rocking and stay away.

been playing my instrument for 30 years. 20 of those i was privately taught. took many awards during high school. enter a statewide solo contest for UT-Arlington where they picked the top 3 players and got a chance to hang and play with gregg bissonette. i was one of those three. i've been in a many bands. many genres. i've played with bernard wright and chuck rainey, not at the same time, but i played hung out and conversed with them. i pretty much hang out and converse with musicians every damn day. have i jammed? why yes i have. i jammed with numerous musicians in a private and public setting. my favorite was at Duke's in montreaux switzerland over looking lake geneva back in '94 during the montreaux jazz festival. i remember we jammed mustang sally, horrible tune, and i played with a german bass player and a brasilian classical guitarist and a brasilian 8-string bass player with a cuban singer. that was a great night of music that lasted til about 4am. so yeah i kinda think i'm not so ignorant as you think, but keep rocking away.

Leetonidas
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM

For the record, I own and have memorized just about every musical note Led Zeppelin ever produced. I can absolutely nail the entire solo on Achilles Last Stand and just about any other Zeppelin song. Presence is my favorite album. I've listened to 30x the amount of Led Zeppelin you have in your life. So when I say most people moved on from Led Zeppelin, trust me, my opinion is far more valid than yours.

BTW, you're also fucking retarded for calling David Gilmore one of the greatest guitarists of all time. You don't even begin to have a clue as to what you're talking about.

I'm sorry man but I've never seen you say something so completely fucking asinine. I love both of these bands, and David Gilmour is an AMAZING guitarist, and if you can't recognize that, then there is seriously something wrong with you. Echoes, Shine On, Time, Money, Have a Cigar, Comfortably Numb, Any Colour You Like, Dogs, Young Lust, Wish You Were Here...etc...those solos are fucking insane. I have just about every single Zeppelin song except for the shit from Coda and a couple from Presence and I can say the Gilmour is on par with, if not better than, Jimmy.

And if you disagree than I really don't think you have much musical credibility. You sound like that douche guy who disagrees with people just to be different.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
i dislike jazz because there's no sense of patterns. the melody and progression of the song never feeds back in to itself or sets down a pattern, it just meanders aimlessly through random chords.
everyone won't like every genre. jazz is nothing but patterns like most music out there. in jazz there's the head, the melody. the b section and the bridge. the soloists solos over that pattern over and over til the end of the song. jazz is far from being "random chords". it's just chords you, and many others, aren't accustomed to. it's not a knock on you or anything. just stating what it is. now if you're listening to ornette coleman or sun ra then that's random, but that's avant garde jazz which is niche within itself.

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
i equate this to when people call music "jazz" simply cuz they don't "get it". it's because there's lot's of notes, it's out of your normal spectrum of music keys youre accustomed to, or whatever.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not offending you or anyone but lots of music simply doesn't translate in certain peoples ears. you get it or you dont. there's "jazz" then there's jazz.

But you can't really say that unless you peruse his entire collection of music and find a limited "number of notes", as you say. Some things are appealing to some people and other things aren't, it's not that they don't understand or "get" it. Like he said it's a preference, it doesn't mean that he is ignorant of one because he prefers another.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
But you can't really say that unless you peruse his entire collection of music and find a limited "number of notes", as you say. Some things are appealing to some people and other things aren't, it's not that they don't understand or "get" it. Like he said it's a preference, it doesn't mean that he is ignorant of one because he prefers another.

well it really wasn't "attacking" his statement in particular. i'm just "equating" it with people calling something jazz when they don't "get it". i've come across many people that say that. so from those experiences, that's what i'm drawing my conclusion from.

and i did a search for "ignorant" and only your post came up. :D
.......so i can't comment on that assumption.

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Can't go wrong with either band. I think each fills a moment in my life that I need filled. You can also pop in both bands and have a thoroughly impressive experience even some 30-40 years since their "heyday." I did have the chance to watch Roger Waters @ Coachella and though it isn't nearly the same, it was quite an experience.

desflood
05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I was listening to Led Zeppelin IV in the car this morning when the kids asked me to turn on the radio instead. So I turned it on... to Ke$ha. And realized that musical life as I know it is over.

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
well it really wasn't "attacking" his statement in particular. i'm just "equating" it with people calling something jazz when they don't "get it". i've come across many people that say that. so from those experiences, that's what i'm drawing my conclusion from.

and i did a search for "ignorant" and only your post came up. :D
.......so i can't comment on that assumption.

Well my assumption comes only from the definition of the word ignorant which means a lack of knowledge or awareness. Which is pretty much the same thing as saying someone doesn't "get it".

Plus I didn't say you attacked him, I just said you couldn't judge what he "gets" about music by whether he prefers Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I was listening to Led Zeppelin IV in the car this morning when the kids asked me to turn on the radio instead. So I turned it on... to Ke$ha. And realized that musical life as I know it is over.

NO NO NO!! It's my car, I'm driving, we listen to what I want :lol And when they have their own cars, they have my permission to listen to what they want.

DBryant88
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Floyd

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 01:29 PM
NO NO NO!! It's my car, I'm driving, we listen to what I want :lol And when they have their own cars, they have my permission to listen to what they want.

Exactamundo...well, I don't have kids but when I drive my friends around--it's my eclectic taste or nothing at all...lol.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Well my assumption comes only from the definition of the word ignorant which means a lack of knowledge or awareness. Which is pretty much the same thing as saying someone doesn't "get it".

well, i don't think you would be called ignorant if you didn't know mandarin chinese. you just don't get it. can't "grasp" it. whatever you want to call it. i don't know. don't worry. don't try and save the world like everyone does here. :toast it just is. i don't get liberian samba funk. doesn't make me ignorant.

desflood
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
:rollin

We settled eventually on Rihanna. She's no Led Zeppelin, but is still infinitely better than Ke$ha. You know how some days you just want some (relative) peace?

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
well, i don't think you would be called ignorant if you didn't know mandarin chinese. you just don't get it. can't "grasp" it. whatever you want to call it. i don't know. don't worry. don't try and save the world like everyone does here. :toast it just is. i don't get liberian samba funk. doesn't make me ignorant.

I think you are just not getting the word ignorant. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I think you are just not getting the word ignorant. :lol

i guess not.maybe one day i will.

4chan
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
lol at this pretentious flamer "graduating" from Zeppelin and Floyd.

Enojoy your King Crimson, faggot.

tlongII
05-04-2010, 02:16 PM
been playing my instrument for 30 years. 20 of those i was privately taught. took many awards during high school. enter a statewide solo contest for UT-Arlington where they picked the top 3 players and got a chance to hang and play with gregg bissonette. i was one of those three. i've been in a many bands. many genres. i've played with bernard wright and chuck rainey, not at the same time, but i played hung out and conversed with them. i pretty much hang out and converse with musicians every damn day. have i jammed? why yes i have. i jammed with numerous musicians in a private and public setting. my favorite was at Duke's in montreaux switzerland over looking lake geneva back in '94 during the montreaux jazz festival. i remember we jammed mustang sally, horrible tune, and i played with a german bass player and a brasilian classical guitarist and a brasilian 8-string bass player with a cuban singer. that was a great night of music that lasted til about 4am. so yeah i kinda think i'm not so ignorant as you think, but keep rocking away.

Actually I have a similar background. Started playing trombone when I was 9 years old and won several awards in high school and played in several jazz groups. I've played with Dan Balmer, Paul Mazzio, and Tom Grant among others. I haven't picked up my horn in over 15 years, but I still love music. Be-bop is good stuff, but I prefer fusion. Fusion has always been my favorite. Spectrum and Crosswinds by Billy Cobham are two of my favorite albums. :tu

leemajors
05-04-2010, 02:21 PM
everyone won't like every genre. jazz is nothing but patterns like most music out there. in jazz there's the head, the melody. the b section and the bridge. the soloists solos over that pattern over and over til the end of the song. jazz is far from being "random chords". it's just chords you, and many others, aren't accustomed to. it's not a knock on you or anything. just stating what it is. now if you're listening to ornette coleman or sun ra then that's random, but that's avant garde jazz which is niche within itself.

thank you. free jazz is another thing entirely, but jazz is generally very structured.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM

so you've known and done all this and still find what I said "too funny".

Leetonidas
05-04-2010, 02:30 PM
so you've known and done all this and still find what I said "too funny".

He sounds like a pretentious chode pretty much. You used the words correctly to me.

CuckingFunt
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM

My cousin, as a joke, facebooked me one of Ke$ha's videos. It made my soul ache. Literally. The lyrics made me weep o'er the fate of future generations.

z0sa
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
He sounds like a pretentious chode pretty much. You used the words correctly to me.

:tu

BTW, Astronomy Domine is one of my absolute favorite Floyd jams. I've heard a few different live renditions, all amazing, all 9+ minutes long :lol

Drachen
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM

The rule is and has always been "The driver has to be comfortable." I utilize the crap out of this rule too because I have somehow slid into the gender-role of the male drives the car which is great because my wife likes country and I can't stand the stuff.

As to the arguement at hand: Led Zepplin is the one.

Also I can completely understand the guy who says that each band is made for 15 year olds (lyrically), I won't argue technical analysis of notes and stuff because I am not a musician and am not thusly trained.

Pink Floyd (TO ME) speaks to that lonely feeling that one has as a teenager (therefore the appeal of the aforementioned solo car ride listening to an album). It prompts introspection and goes into a certain "raging against the machine" of the collective that teenagers see everyone joining at the end of their teenager-dom. Its sad in some ways, and the more upbeat of the tunes are generally tounge-in-cheek attacks on the values that the collective holds.
Pink Floyd reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons that had the Smashing Pumkins where Lisa notices how all of the fans listening are into the music, but looking very disinterested, then Bart says "Making Teenagers Depressed, its like shooting fish in a barrel."

As far as Led Zepplin it speaks more to the raging hormones of the teenagers. Brash, heady, and with lyrical focus on, well, sex, Zep had just enough "art" (referencing Tolkien, violins in Kashmir, etc.) to appeal to those outside of the 12-25 year old male. Additionally, I think that their mastery of their instruments (which I believe to be considerable), appeals to a greater portion of those who will listen to the music.

I could be completely off base here, but I would bet that for those who grew up with both, they are more likely to prefer Zep over Pink because Zep helps them remember the fun part about youth. Invincibility, being headstrong, no compromises, sex, etc. Whereas Pink Floyd helps them remember the depressing part about their youth, and the fact that they have no joined the collective that they were so abhorrent of when they were and idealistic and naive child. I could be completely wrong here.

All of this is my opinion and is therefore far greater (in my opinion) than anyone elses. :rollin

smeagol
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Floyd.

And I'm no teenager. Sorry bali . . .

rjv
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
zepellin

Sisk
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Lz

Drachen
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh and BTW, fuck Jimmy Page for playing with Puff daddy on that one song, thus ruining my favorite song by Led Zepplin.

balli
05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
what kind of music did you graduate to?
I don't know. Lot's of stuff- classical, a ton of roots music, Dylan, a lot of jazz.

In other words, shit other than face melting solos and psychedelic prog rock.

CubanSucks
05-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I love both bands but Pink Floyd is my all time favorite. The guitar solo in Time is my favorite piece of music of any song of any band of any genre.

JyDwT-z9Id0

when the original solo kicks in at 0:15 the hair on the back of my neck just stands up

Drachen
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know. Lot's of stuff- classical, a ton of roots music, Dylan, a lot of jazz.

Funny, I have liked all of those types of music at the same time, outside of jazz. Actually the only band that I know that I like that plays jazz is Mingo Fishtrap, and they are far heavier on the Soul than the Jazz. As far as Dylan goes, one of the worst things I think I have ever heard was from someone who went to see him live. I said, "WOW you saw Dylan live? How was it, great I bet" They said that they were thouroughly disappointed because "all he did was sit there and jam out blues style on his guitar the whole show, he didn't even play Layla." I almost cried that day.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Pink Floyd

LnGrrrR
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Pink Floyd (TO ME) speaks to that lonely feeling that one has as a teenager (therefore the appeal of the aforementioned solo car ride listening to an album). It prompts introspection and goes into a certain "raging against the machine" of the collective that teenagers see everyone joining at the end of their teenager-dom.

Eh, I don't think that a feeling of loneliness is limited to the teenage years. For instance, what about the lyrics

Then one day you'll come to find
Ten years have gone behind
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Those lyrics are just something a teenager doesn't have the wisdom to acknowledge. Hell, I barely do, and I'm 28. Sure, it's said in plain words, but the truth behind them becomes more evident with each passing year. Specially for evil atheists like me who don't believe in an afterlife. :)

I could be completely off base here, but I would bet that for those who grew up with both, they are more likely to prefer Zep over Pink because Zep helps them remember the fun part about youth. Invincibility, being headstrong, no compromises, sex, etc. Whereas Pink Floyd helps them remember the depressing part about their youth, and the fact that they have no joined the collective that they were so abhorrent of when they were and idealistic and naive child. I could be completely wrong here.

I'm guessing you had little/no stoner friends? :lol :D

Kermit
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Balijuana doesn't like psychedelic rock? Shocker. David Gilmour pales in comparison to Tommy Chong.

Drachen
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Eh, I don't think that a feeling of loneliness is limited to the teenage years. For instance, what about the lyrics

Then one day you'll come to find
Ten years have gone behind
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

Those lyrics are just something a teenager doesn't have the wisdom to acknowledge. Hell, I barely do, and I'm 28. Sure, it's said in plain words, but the truth behind them becomes more evident with each passing year. Specially for evil atheists like me who don't believe in an afterlife. :)

I'm guessing you had little/no stoner friends? :lol :D

Au contraire, its just that as I have gotten older, the herd has thinned as far as stoner friends. As Daniel Tosh puts it so succinctly "no I don't want to smoke pot, I am an adult".

As far as "that lonely feeling" I recognize that it can happen at any time in life, but I think that the most prevalent time for the vast majority of the population is in the teenage years.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Zeppelin. Period.

Why even continue discussing?

badfish22
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
imo, floyd

CubanSucks
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Zeppelin. Period.

Why even continue discussing?

Maybe cause you're in the minority in this thread?

mookie2001
05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
The answer is led zeppelin, by a mile. Pink floyd was the radiohead of their day

Not only average song but entire works, zeppelin is much much more prolific and diverse musically

Big P
05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Hard to believe it has been 16 years since the Pink Floyd concert at the Alamo Dome.

Easter Sunday 1994...was...amazing.

Led Zeppelin rocks as well.

David Bowie
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll take Pink Floyd any day. It just sounds better to me and great music to chill to.

mookie2001
05-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Just read the thread, no surprise lakerfan and Argentina would go floyd

many times in my post history have I talked about pink floyd, they were the pearl jam of their day, they are an excellent band, but when you put them AGAINST their contemporaries, that genre ,that time, it's factual how average they are. I could maybe make a CD of half a dozen Floyd songs to jam to, with led Zeppelin you need a 8 disc remasters BBC sessions works

Floyd seems to me to be bigger among the music fans who want a poster to hang on the wall, a vintage tshirt to sport or a movie soundtrack to experience

to me music fans who like many genres, all eras, a wide range of music, would choose Zeppelin while the younger, average music fan, rock fan would choose Floyd

Of course we know this, these are the things we know.

dirk4mvp
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
So are they the Radiohead of their day or the Pearl Jam of their day? This is not something I know.

mookie2001
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Take your pick, I'm sure you like one, those are spurstalks 2 favorite bands. they sold a lot of records with similar sounding music, had some classics

that doesn't mean they're in the all time greats category like Zeppelin

tlongII
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I like Floyd better. More melodic. Zep can get on your nerves with Plant's screaming. Anybody can scream. We know this.

Drachen
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Take your pick, I'm sure you like one, those are spurstalks 2 favorite bands. they sold a lot of records with similar sounding music, had some classics

that doesn't mean they're in the all time greats category like Zeppelin

Ok, I won't put PJ at the top of the list for their time and genre, but they would be third. I would say, however, that Ten is the best complete album of that era and genre.

Cane
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Zepp without question. Much more impressive discography.

Pink Floyd's great as well but really only for 3 albums; their shitty drama prematurely killed off their greatness.

leemajors
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok, I won't put PJ at the top of the list for their time and genre, but they would be third. I would say, however, that Ten is the best complete album of that era and genre.

Dirt

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
lol at this pretentious flamer "graduating" from Zeppelin and Floyd.

Enojoy your King Crimson, faggot.

But 4chan troll, 2 out of 3 /mu/'ers agree that Pink floyd is better than Zepp. You can't disagree with /mu/. At least I hope I'm not thinking you were implying that.

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Dirt

Fuck yeah.

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 10:18 PM
mookie, you saying Zepp and Floyd are ST's favorite bands, or Radiohead and PJ?

IronMexican
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
And I need mookie's opinion on the best grunge band of the 90's.

4chan
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Dirt

>Dirt
>Best complete album of grunge era
>every song about heroin

http://allisonkilkenny.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/george-bush-sour.jpg

tlongII
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Alice in Chains

David Bowie
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I like Floyd better. More melodic. Zep can get on your nerves with Plant's screaming. Anybody can scream. We know this.

That's my problem with Zeppling. I love some of their songs, but Plant's voice gets on my nerves after a while. Where's Pink Floyd is very relaxing.

Drachen
05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Dirt

Dirt is absolutely a great album, made from the absolute number 1 band of the era, but it is one step (half step? quarter step? eighth step?) below Ten. The name of the album is the perfect name.

mookie2001
05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Zeppelin could do what Pink Floyd did, easy, no way in hell Floyd could do what Zeppelin did musically

take away the wizard of oz, posters and tshirts, musically it's like comparing usher to prince, stacks and stacks of Zeppelin vs Pink Floyd mixtape, they weren't consistent, they flamed out. Check the resume

Leetonidas
05-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Some of you guys have no idea what you're talking about. To say Floyd is "average" in comparison to their 70s counterparts is LUDICROUS. Zeppelin is one my favorite bands but you cannot tell me that they were, are, or ever at any point were better than Floyd because they weren't. Their songs are more catchy, mostly about love, and more repetitive.

Floyd is some deep, introspective shit than absolutely dominates the garbage from the 70s (The Rolling Stones, Dylan, etc) and if you can't see that then you know NOTHING about music. Nothing. Period. And I'm not just saying that because I smoke a lot of weed because I listen to Floyd without weed all the time.

Like I said...Floyd and Zep are like my two faves, I love them to death, but to say Floyd is garbage to Zep just shows how ignorant and generally uninformed you are.

And LMAO @ "they weren't consistent," or "they flamed out."

Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Animals

No one has EVER released 5 albums CONSECUTIVELY that could be called masterpieces. If you wanna nitpick about Animals and Meddle I can understand but the middle three are legendary. Zeppelin's only true masterpiece album is IV. And FWIW, Shine On You Crazy Diamond from start to finish (26 minutes) and Echoes (23 minutes) are songs that Zeppelin can't even touch because they didn't have the power to write that long. Achilles Last Stand is only 10:30, not even HALF of Echoes.

mookie2001
05-05-2010, 12:04 AM
You should look further than black dog tangerine, Floyd is limited musically

I guess it's all taste but do you know how prolific Zeppelin was? Floyd by comparison was a flavor of the month. Not to mention the wizard of oz vintage poster factor

we're not comparing Floyd to u2 or linkin park, I'm talking about led zeppelin, no shame in 2nd place

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 12:08 AM
You should look further than black dog tangerine, Floyd is limited musically

I guess it's all taste but do you know how prolific Zeppelin was? Floyd by comparison was a flavor of the month. Not to mention the wizard of oz vintage poster factor

we're not comparing Floyd to u2 or linkin park, I'm talking about led zeppelin, no shame in 2nd place

You should look further than Money and Comfortably Numb.

And I agree, it is all taste, but I guess you didn't see earlier in the thread where I said I have almost every Zeppelin song there is, minus shit from Coda and a couple from Presence. I even own 5 of the LPs on original vinyl. They and Pink Floyd are very close for me but I narowlly give it to Floyd because of their deeper feeling and the fact they don't constantly sing about bitches and broken hearts like Robert Plant does.

In the end it does come down to taste. Like I said, I love both bands, but for anyone to "diss" Pink Floyd to me is asinine. And there is nothing anyone can tell me to make me believe otherwise. IMO, Floyd is the GOAT with Zeppelin a close second.

And I lol'd at the LP reference. :lol

mojorizen7
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Both bands `are cemented into my bones(and have been for 20 yrs), i'll take Led Zep for sex & partying........ but i'll have me some Floyd on any occasion.

If i'm forced to pick, i gotta choose Floyd.

ginobili's bald spot
05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
:lol @ The pseudo intellectual Bali. That was quite the display of pretentiousness even for internet standards.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Also, lol @ anyone thinking the bands appeal to adolescents. What is appealing to a 15 year old kid about Stairway, No Quarter, Over the Hills and Far Away, Kashmir, When the Levee Breaks, Trampled Underfoot, The Battle of Evermore, Achilles Last Stand, the Immigrant Song, anything from Floyd's Animals, Astronomy Domine, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, A Pillow of Winds, Let There Be More Light, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here, Great Gig in the Sky...

NOTHING. Kids don't listen to this shit. Maybe in the 70s they did because there was way less music back then and Zep/Floyd were the supergroups back then but nowadays your average 15 year old kid blasting Fall Out Boy and Rhianna. :lmao

balli
05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
NOTHING. Kids don't listen to this shit. Maybe in the 70s they did because there was way less music back then and Zep/Floyd were the supergroups back then but nowadays your average 15 year old kid blasting Fall Out Boy and Rhianna. :lmao
Then how come I got a bunch of thumbtack riddled Led Zeppelin and Floyd posters/flags folded up in boxes and a bunch of framed pieces of artwork hanging on my walls?

mookie2001
05-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe. but the wizard of oz, vintage tshirts and posters are still very appealing to teens

probably not the people in this thread but the common person who would rate Floyd higher is more of a casual music fan

Drachen
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Also, lol @ anyone thinking the bands appeal to adolescents. What is appealing to a 15 year old kid about Stairway, No Quarter, Over the Hills and Far Away, Kashmir, When the Levee Breaks, Trampled Underfoot, The Battle of Evermore, Achilles Last Stand, the Immigrant Song, anything from Floyd's Animals, Astronomy Domine, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, A Pillow of Winds, Let There Be More Light, Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here, Great Gig in the Sky...

You are kidding me right? I know that no kid blasts Zep anymore, but kids nowadays still listen to Floyd. I remember about 3 years ago, I went to the gas station in my parents' neighborhood (the one I used to hang out at), and there were kids sitting in front of it talking about how cool Pink Floyd is, they were maybe 14 years old. I was thinking "I am twice your age, and even I am not old enough to be talking about Floyd" LOL. Anyway, kids still listen to Pink Floyd, still wear their shirts, still hang blacklight posters, etc.

smeagol
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Just read the thread, no surprise lakerfan and Argentina would go floyd

many times in my post history have I talked about pink floyd, they were the pearl jam of their day, they are an excellent band, but when you put them AGAINST their contemporaries, that genre ,that time, it's factual how average they are. I could maybe make a CD of half a dozen Floyd songs to jam to, with led Zeppelin you need a 8 disc remasters BBC sessions works

Floyd seems to me to be bigger among the music fans who want a poster to hang on the wall, a vintage tshirt to sport or a movie soundtrack to experience

to me music fans who like many genres, all eras, a wide range of music, would choose Zeppelin while the younger, average music fan, rock fan would choose Floyd

Of course we know this, these are the things we know.

When it comes to music knowledge, I always go to mookie. He knows his shit.

Dude, let me know what I should be listening to and also let me know what I should like . . .

mookie2001
05-05-2010, 10:36 AM
That's not really knowledge, if you can't see how much much more prolific and musically diverse Led Zeppelin was than Floyd than you haven't checked the resumes

it's like you're more of a fake, Johnny come lately, casual fan

balli
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I just fail to see how anybody takes prog rock even remotely seriously. Pink Floyd worked really hard (it shows in that inorganic way of theirs) to create music that sounds cool when you're trying to figure out what music is, but at the end of the day, they're just some dumb prog rock band. A step up from Yes and the ELO.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Then how come I got a bunch of thumbtack riddled Led Zeppelin and Floyd posters/flags folded up in boxes and a bunch of framed pieces of artwork hanging on my walls?

So, what you're saying is, because you liked them when you were fifteen and bought a bunch of merchandise made by their label to make money, you speak for all 15 year olds and they all listen to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin? Okay.

balli
05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

In that same vein... I know I never see adults in tuxedos gearing up for the symphony... or baby boomers in corduroy slacks walking into outdoor Dylan concerts with bottles of red wine. They're all down at the planet-arium checking out the lasers.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 10:50 AM
And they appeal to anyone who is a stoner or a drug user for obvious reasons, and 15 is the age when you first start getting into that shit and realizing how everything is bullshit. I think a lot of Floyd's music is way too introspective for younger people to understand. Like the other poster said about Time, yes every kid can relate to "oh look time is disappearing and there's nothing I can do about it." But this song appeals way more to the broken 30 year old man who wondered where he went wrong in his life and why nothing has changed or gotten better.

I suppose it's all relative. You have your 14 year old kids listening to Floyd and getting high and then you have the actual fans who LISTEN to their music, not just trip out to it.

z0sa
05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Checking the resumes, Pink Floyd is a much more accomplished band than Zeppelin. Around earlier, stayed around much longer as one of the world's biggest touring acts, produced their best material over a longer period of time, and their final album in their mid-50's still has a bunch of quality material and a badass live album/DVD to boot.

Checkin the resumes, Floyd has albums that more than compare with Zeppelin's, in terms of creativity, production quality, and sales.

Checking the resumes, Floyd > Zeppelin. But it's not about the resumes.

LnGrrrR
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Pink Floyd worked really hard (it shows in that inorganic way of theirs) to create music that sounds cool when you're trying to figure out what music is, but at the end of the day, they're just some dumb prog rock band.

I'm curious. How does one "figure out what music is"?

redzero
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I prefer Pink Floyd.

My father is a huge Led Zeppelin fan, though.

redzero
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Checking the resumes, Pink Floyd is a much more accomplished band than Zeppelin. Around earlier, stayed around much longer as one of the world's biggest touring acts, produced their best material over a longer period of time, and their final album in their mid-50's still has a bunch of quality material and a badass live album/DVD to boot.

Checkin the resumes, Floyd has albums that more than compare with Zeppelin's, in terms of creativity, production quality, and sales.

Checking the resumes, Floyd > Zeppelin. But it's not about the resumes.

I wouldn't say that being around longer makes Pink Floyd more accomplished.

Many bands have been around longer than The Beatles, but there will never be a band that has the impact that they had.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Many bands have been around longer than The Beatles, but there will never be a band that has the impact that they had.

I dunno, last I checked, Zeppelin never had a concept album, and Floyd released 3 straight MASTERFUL concept albums.

z0sa
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM

When it's a 17+ years and a 3-4 album difference, I think it does.

Only the greatest acts of all-time enjoyed Pink Floyd's height of popularity for as long as they did. in 1994, Pink Floyd was still selling out football stadiums at record pace.

smeagol
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
That's not really knowledge, if you can't see how much much more prolific and musically diverse Led Zeppelin was than Floyd than you haven't checked the resumes

it's like you're more of a fake, Johnny come lately, casual fan

Thanks

It is clear to me now that when it comes to music and to fandom, you are an expert, a true authority in those matters.

I also hear you are an erudite, a scholar if you will, on hip-hop and rap

:tu

Rogue
05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
zosa why does your brain type keystrokes for you when it's clearly a retarded organ? your opinions on the musics in this thread should be earmarked irrelevant since you once considered one of your favorite artists to be KISS.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
KISS isn't...

z0sa
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
zosa why does your brain type keystrokes for you when it's clearly a retarded organ? your opinions on the musics in this thread should be earmarked irrelevant since you once considered one of your favorite artists to be KISS.

Yeah, I actually love KISS. SpaceAce Frehley's guitar, man... I realize they're pretty overrated. Oh well.

mookie_crew
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
crofl

kiss

they're like the original shitty band to get radio play

rofl

he's gonna have to talk to the ollllll ball coach after det one

Rogue
05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I actually love KISS. SpaceAce Frehley's guitar, man... I realize they're pretty overrated. Oh well.
yep if only I was as proficient at the axe as the character you just described I could move away to not be ruled by commies. also if i wished to become a traveling tranny i could also dress up as those people did with makeup and excessively faggish clothing.

mookie_crew
05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
overrated?

most people already know they're shitty

we know this

z0sa
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
yep if only I was as proficient at the axe as the character you just described I could move away to not be ruled by commies. also if i wished to become a traveling tranny i could also dress up as those people did with makeup and excessively faggish clothing.

:lol some people think that. I don't really think it's "cool", per se, but I always thought it was an interesting idea, especially since they actually appeared exclusively as their personas for a while.

thispego
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I just fail to see how anybody takes prog rock even remotely seriously. Pink Floyd worked really hard (it shows in that inorganic way of theirs) to create music that sounds cool when you're trying to figure out what music is, but at the end of the day, they're just some dumb prog rock band. A step up from Yes and the ELO.

except ELO is badass and so is Pink Flloyd. what the fuck is "prog rock"

music is music guys, why do y'all try to sound smart when talking about it? it makes you sound stupid. (not just you balli)

SpursStalker
05-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I can't believe you all are still fighting over who is better ...

Prog rock would be progressive rock if I had to take a guess.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
0RogtSoE48w

thispego
05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I can't believe you all are still fighting over who is better ...

Prog rock would be progressive rock if I had to take a guess.

oh ok, sounds lame to sub-classify genres of music :rolleyes

thispego
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
0rogtsoe48w

drc ftw!

SpursStalker
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
:sleep

Dr. Gonzo
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Personally I like Floyd. I think lyrically they are a deeper band. The second disk of The Wall and The Final Cut are fantastic.

z0sa
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
a "The Final Cut" reference? Nice. Even many Floyd fans don't know shit about that album. As a sort of extension to the Wall, it makes sense, but ends up coming off as Roger Waters first solo album as opposed to anything Floydish.

mookie2001
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Pink Floyd is for lakerfans and argentina. Case closed

oski1000
05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Pink Floyd, but both are my favorites bands. The Led Zeppelin´s movie "The song remains the same" is my favorite also.

JudynTX
05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Disturbed

tlongII
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
C'mon you guys! One of my friends plays lead guitar for KISS. And I'm being serious here!

BlackSwordsMan
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
pantera>

JudynTX
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
pantera>

Have you heard of HellYeah?

Dr. Gonzo
05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Have you heard of HellYeah?

Superjoint>Pantera>Down>HellYeah

Viva Las Espuelas
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
C'mon you guys! One of my friends plays lead guitar for KISS. And I'm being serious here!

thayer is an abomination to the kiss army!!!!!!

smeagol
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM

And for whottt

tlongII
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
thayer is an abomination to the kiss army!!!!!!

Tommy and I went to high school together. Be nice to him!

JudynTX
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Iced Earth

thispego
05-05-2010, 02:31 PM

:rolleyes

you insult me

smeagol
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
:rolleyes

you insult me

:sleep

The Gemini Method
05-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Whitesnake

JudynTX
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Whitesnake

:lol ^^^

pnGl6ZgJdKQ

IronMexican
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Neither released anything as good as Golden Cobra will be.

Kyle Orton
05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Listened to Zeppelin IV earlier while I was working out trying to keep my starting spot over Tebow. It's obviously the best album from either band.

PublicOption
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
floyd hands down.

DAF86
05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Floyd comes second only to "The Beatles".

DAF86
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM

I will take that as a compliment.

IronMexican
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M&feature=related

Posting that for funsies

IronMexican
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Should have been a poll.

LnGrrrR
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Should have been a poll.

I've found not posting a poll gets more debate, in my personal experience.

z0sa
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
^ no poll means only one way to make your voice heard.

IronMexican
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, but we can't laugh at the people who picked the opposite of what we voted.

mavsfan1000
05-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Pink Floyd by far for me. I prefer the mystical sounds they come with. Especially in their late 60's early 70's phase.

Höfner
05-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Pink Floyd is commonly misunderstood for some of the reasons posted in this thread.

1) Floyd pioneered/expanded upon a lot of studio techniques. There's a lot of examples of this, even though it's stuff we generally take for granted now.

2) Most of Pink Floyd's songs are meant to be heard with other songs on its album. One might call that lame, but the majority of their work was written within the layers of a larger piece and theme.

3) Floyd gets called out for having filler but again, some don't realize the concept of an album, and oftentimes the songs had cool, original effects for the time. Example: On The Run/Any Color You Like. These were original tunes for their time, for a multitude of reasons, but nowadays they come across as unspectacular mainly because most people don't have a feel for the period of time this music was recorded. Who cares about an overdriven synth, or barely audible footsteps running from speaker to speaker nowadays.. or routing a guitar through a Leslie speaker. These are ancient effects now that come standard with most multieffects boxes.

4) Pink Floyd was always considered a better live band, whith their effects shows/extended jams. While I'll never see em live myself, I've seen and heard more than enough to affirm that notion,

IronMexican
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM
BTW, Amimals > Wish you were here

Animals >< The Wall

LnGrrrR
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Pink Floyd is commonly misunderstood for some of the reasons posted in this thread.

1) Floyd pioneered/expanded upon a lot of studio techniques. There's a lot of examples of this, even though it's stuff we generally take for granted now.

2) Most of Pink Floyd's songs are meant to be heard with other songs on its album. One might call that lame, but the majority of their work was written within the layers of a larger piece and theme.

3) Floyd gets called out for having filler but again, some don't realize the concept of an album, and oftentimes the songs had cool, original effects for the time. Example: On The Run/Any Color You Like. These were original tunes for their time, for a multitude of reasons, but nowadays they come across as unspectacular mainly because most people don't have a feel for the period of time this music was recorded. Who cares about an overdriven synth, or barely audible footsteps running from speaker to speaker nowadays.. or routing a guitar through a Leslie speaker. These are ancient effects now that come standard with most multieffects boxes.

4) Pink Floyd was always considered a better live band, whith their effects shows/extended jams. While I'll never see em live myself, I've seen and heard more than enough to affirm that notion,

I'm sorry, but this post is wrong because Floyd is only for immature 15 year olds

/balli

Leetonidas
05-08-2010, 01:12 PM
BTW, Amimals > Wish you were here

Animals >< The Wall

I like Animals, but IMO nothing Floyd has created can rival the sheer perfection of Wish You Were Here, not even Dark Side.

IronMexican
05-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I like Animals, but IMO nothing Floyd has created can rival the sheer perfection of Wish You Were Here, not even Dark Side.

All great. Just like Animals more at the moment.

badfish22
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Animals is the shit.

Leetonidas
05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Dogs is the best song on that album

mookie2001
05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Animals is just a rip off of pet sounds

IronMexican
05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Dogs is the best song on that album

That's the main reason I like Animals. The guitar work on that song was my favorite of any Floyd song.

mavsfan1000
05-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Animals is just a rip off of pet sounds
They sound nothing alike. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is my favorite though. Syd Barrett as his most creative period before he went crazy.

Strike
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM

Here's how it would have gone in my car with my kids (if I had kids)....

KIDS - "Dad, can you turn on the radio instead?"
ME - "No."

mojorizen7
05-09-2010, 05:33 AM
A couple of my favorite moments from these two Giants:

Floyd>Animals>Sheep>guitar outro :music

Led Zep>Zeppelin I>How Many More Times>when the drums break in after the intro:drunk

Leetonidas
05-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I think my favorite song by Pink Floyd is a tossup between Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes...I'll give the slight edge to Shine On because Wish You Were Here was the first album I ever listened to on shrooms and damn it was awesome.

balli
05-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry, but this post is wrong because Floyd is only for immature 15 year olds

/balli

Like I said somewhere a few pages back- Floyd worked really, really hard to come up with some cool sounds. You sure can tell how hard they tried.

Look, Floyd 'isn't only' for fifteen year olds. I never said it was. I'll throw on Floyd from time to time myself, but c'mon, it's hardly as good as it gets. Far from it. Most people I know who used to listen to Floyd a lot moved on some time ago. And I don't think it's all that uncommon [for that to happen] or unfair to point that shit out.

Call me arrogant or pretentious or whatever, but I'm 100% fine looking down my nose and history at Pink Floyd, that shit is immature, prototypical, albeit original at the time, standard, cheezy progressive rock. Nothing more. And anybody who's listening to Pink Floyd for all the quote-unquote introspection and thinks they're going to find some deep truth at the summit of that mountain, well, those people are likely in for a world of disappointment. They should learn to separate themselves from the Stockholm Syndrome which is clearly compromising their musical tastes and go buy some Frank Zappa albums instead.

mookie2001
05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I must agree, like dejuan blair is limited by his size and those old people on hover scooters are limited by their mobility, pink floyd was limited by their musical ability

call lt concept or whatever but they had a very specific sound and were not versatile as a group

z0sa
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
:lol balli just gets more and more ridiculous with each post. The fact you and your dumbass buds "graduated" past Floyd means nothing. Plenty of people are on the opposing side the spectrum, ignorant Balli.

What's funny about Balli is that he said he graduated to Bob Dylan specifically, which means it should typify his kind of music that's adult and cool and not too deep/deep enough, yet considering Dylan represents 'the' generation of "disaffected youth," as Balli calls them, and made plenty of jokes/tongue in cheek references in his work, that's not much of a graduation based on his own criteria.

Balli is a pseudo-intellectual fraud.

CubanSucks
05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Like I said somewhere a few pages back- Floyd worked really, really hard to come up with some cool sounds. You sure can tell how hard they tried.

Look, Floyd 'isn't only' for fifteen year olds. I never said it was. I'll throw on Floyd from time to time myself, but c'mon, it's hardly as good as it gets. Far from it. Most people I know who used to listen to Floyd a lot moved on some time ago. And I don't think it's all that uncommon [for that to happen] or unfair to point that shit out.

Yeah, it's called getting burned out on something. Happens with every music/movie/tv show/game/whatever. I used to love listening to Lynard Skynard but I burned out on them. It has nothing to do with graduating from them or moving on to better things. Right now I'm liking more and more of Radiohead but eventually I'm gonna get burned out on them also

z0sa
05-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it's called getting burned out on something. Happens with every music/movie/tv show/game/whatever. I used to love listening to Lynard Skynard but I burned out on them. It has nothing to do with graduating from them or moving on to better things. Right now I'm liking more and more of Radiohead but eventually I'm gonna get burned out on them also

I was thinking that, too. I'll always love Pink Floyd but I don't listen to a whole lot of them myself nowadays. Doesn't mean anyone graduated to better things, as balli so readily suggests.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I like Pink Floyd much more, Zeppelin is good but I only like a select few songs. I can listen to any Floyd song.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
And now that I think about it, Stairway to Heaven is the only zep song I REALLY REALLY like. Never gets old. I think a lot of their other hits get very annoying, even after only a couple plays. Floyd never fails to relax me. Whenever I'm having a hard time starting an essay I usually listen to some Floyd to inspire some writing. Makes sense that it works because they don't fill their songs with vocals, which is good for writing otherwise you can get distracted by the words and fuck up your train of thought.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2010, 02:36 PM

/balli

How so?

CubanSucks
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
How so?

:lol He's being sarcastic. You need to go back and read every page of this thread. You'll have quite a laugh

DAF86
05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Most people I know who used to listen to Floyd a lot moved on some time ago.

So the fact that most of your friends don't listen to Floyd anymore proves that they aren't that good of a band? Lot of people I know think Pink Floyd is the greatest band ever and some of them are musicians so I think they must know something about music.

balli
05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
lol- Apparently lastfm listeners who are really into Linkin Park and the Black Eyed Peas are also pretty big Floyd fans:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5537/hahaon.png

The numbers don't lie bitches.

IronMexican
05-09-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.last.fm/charts/artist

Zepp and Floyd are both in top 25.

Kermit
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
They're so different that it's hard for me to lean one way or the other. Nothing they did sounds even remotely the same. Two badass bands though. Can't believe the hate Plant's voice is getting. Personal preference I guess. He's one of the all-timers to me.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
:lol He's being sarcastic. You need to go back and read every page of this thread. You'll have quite a laugh

Just read some of the earlier parts of this thread. And it is confirmed. Balli is a moron.

:whine

IronMexican
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Animals > WTWH. Still.