PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs vs. Suns – Game 1

timvp
05-04-2010, 07:06 AM
The Spurs had their chances. In Game 1 of their second round series against the Suns, the Spurs battled back from double-digit deficits multiple times. However, each time San Antonio got back into it, Phoenix would respond with a run of their own.

To begin the ballgame, Steve Nash absolutely destroyed George Hill's defense. He got easy shot after easy shot on his way to 17 first quarter points. Due to Nash's play, the Spurs spent much first half in a hole.

It wasn't until Tony Parker started the second half did the Spurs get it going. Trailing by ten points at halftime, the Spurs quickly erased the Suns lead in the second half. A Manu Ginobili three-pointer put the Spurs up by three points only four and a half minutes into the period. But the stubborn Suns battled back and rebuilt a double-digit lead within six minutes.

With seven minutes remaining, the Spurs were down by 14 points. Once again, San Antonio mounted a furious comeback -- scoring the game's next 13 points. Unfortunately history repeated itself and the Suns went on a 9-2 run to seal the affair.

Looking back on this game, the Spurs will kick themselves knowing they let a great opportunity to steal homecourt advantage slip through their fingers. Against this explosive and deep Suns squad, giving them confidence is the worst thing you can do. The Spurs now have to prepare for an all-out war if they wish to advance past the second round.

-Tim Duncan simply wasn't as consistently good as the Spurs needed him to be in Game 1. He started off slow and never got into a rhythm on the low block against Phoenix's questionable defenders. Duncan did pick up his game for a stretch in the second half -- particularly on the defensive end. In that stretch he protected the rim very well and scored off of pick-and-rolls, fast breaks and broken plays. That said, the Spurs need Duncan to be better in the halfcourt sets, establish himself early and assert his toughness. He finished the game with 20 points, 11 rebounds, four assists, three blocks and three turnovers in 37 minutes. He was 8-for-15 from the field and 4-for-9 at the line.

-Manu Ginobili once again led the team in scoring. He poured in 27 points, dished out five assists, pulled down five boards and swiped four steals. Ginobili hit 9-of-20 shots from the field, 3-of-9 three-pointers and 6-of-7 from the charity stripe. The Spurs can't be upset with that type of production. However, Ginobili can clean up his game going forward. He was a bit loose with his passing and he had a few defensive lapses -- including a couple major mistakes that led to Jason Richardson three-pointers. Ginobili should also attack the rim as much as possible because the Suns didn't show much of an ability to slow his drives. Overall it was a quality game from Ginobili ... but he has room for improvement over the course of the series.

-Tony Parker came off the bench -- but that could very well be the first and last time that is the case this series. With Hill struggling to handle Nash combined with Parker playing well once he was handed the reins, it makes a huge amount of sense to put Parker back into the starting lineup. In 36 minutes, Parker had 26 points, three assists, two rebounds and one turnover on 11-for-21 shooting. And honestly, Parker could have done much more. He missed a few easy shots and it took him a while to find a groove. If he starts, Parker should be able to resume his mastery of the Suns. Defensively, Parker has defended Nash well in the past and defended him well on Monday night. Offensively, the Suns really don't have anyone to slow him down. The Spurs need to build around Parker this series and that should begin in Game 2 with the three-time All-Star back in the starting lineup.

-George Hill was a hero in the first round and got a lot of national attention for his play. To begin the second round, he couldn't have played much worse. His defense this season against star point guards has always been a major question mark in my eyes. Nash quickly answered all questions by torturing Hill with his quickness, craftiness and ability to get into the lane. Hill was helpless whenever Nash was in the picture. To make matters worse, Hill's defense against Richardson was also poor. The early returns point to Hill not being a good matchup against anyone in Phoenix's starting lineup. For that reason, Parker returning to his starting role in place of Hill seems like the logical adjustment for the coaching staff. Hill finished the game with nine points on 2-for-9 shooting and a team worst plus/minus of -22 in 33 minutes.

-Richard Jefferson played 33 minutes but you would never know that by his production. He was 1-for-3 with five points, three rebounds and three assists -- not exactly the numbers of a player stepping up in an important game. The good news is that Jefferson usually did well when he was around the ball. He aggressively drove down the lane a few times and he didn't make too many mistakes on the defensive end. But the time for excuses is over and Jefferson needs to figure out a way to make a larger impact. A start would be to help out more on the boards. Oh and it'd be nice if Jefferson had the confidence to shoot three-pointers once again instead of hiding inside the three-point line. Now is not the time to be scared.

-Without Dirk Nowitzki to chase around, Antonio McDyess only played 19 minutes. He had his moments but I'd have to classify his overall play as below average. McDyess was too hesitant on the offensive end and missed too many rotations on the defensive end. When not on Stoudemire, McDyess wasn't giving enough respect to the bench players of the Suns. His six points on 3-for-7 shooting and seven boards look decent enough on paper but McDyess can certainly play better.

-Well, I guess it isn't just the Mavs in the postseason. Matt Bonner played 13 timid minutes against the Suns. Offensively, Bonner seems to actively be searching for excuses not to fire up open looks. He's using his dribble way too much when he should just shoot. On defense, Bonner didn't play with much grit -- especially against Stoudemire. Bonner finished with two points and three rebounds on 1-for-2 shooting. If you watch him on the court, Bonner just doesn't look like a player who is comfortable with the pressure of the postseason. That is unfortunate for the Spurs, especially against this Suns team that is boiling over with young players ready and willing to leave their mark.

-I had hope that Roger Mason, Jr. could be a sleeper for the Spurs in this series. Consider those hopes dashed. Mason was horrible once again. He missed both of his shots and played pathetic defense. I can't even explain how bad he's playing right now. Mason isn't fit to suit up as the Coyote’s assistant, much less try to help the Spurs win playoff games on the basketball court.

-DeJuan Blair gave Duncan 11 minutes of rest in Game 1. In that time, Blair hit his only shot, grabbed two rebounds and had both a steal and block. While he played adequately, there's no doubt Blair can do a lot better. He has the skillset to really make a difference in this series. In his first outing, he was definitely much more of a place-holder rather than a difference-maker.

-For better or worse, Keith Bogans likely earned more playing time with his performance on Monday night. He was 1-for-2 on three-pointers and used his strength to carve out a layup and finish with five points. Defensively, Bogans was active and rotating well. It's scary to play Bogans in this series due to his offensive ineptitude ... but there are no other options at this point with Mason and Bonner obviously not up for the challenge.

-Pop had a faulty gameplan heading into the series when it came to defending Nash. He should have known that Hill isn't very good against elite point guards and should have been ready to switch things once Nash got going. It took entirely too long for Pop to adjust. Going with Mason was a swing and a miss. More McDyess and less Bonner would have helped matters. All in all, Pop has to find a way to get players outside of the Big 3 to produce. Not only does Pop need to figure out which players have the testicular fortitude for this level of play, he needs to better put those players in positions to succeed. The Spurs can definitely win this series but Pop needs to coach a lot better than he did in Game 1. If he's stubborn with his Game 2 adjustments, the Suns will get one step closer to the revenge they seek.

wildbill2u
05-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Players weren't taking open shots, especially 3s, and passing off the ball. This often led to worse shots with the clock running down. It isn't unselfishness, it's fear.

If you want to play safe or don't have confidence you need to be home fishing.

benefactor
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs handle re-inserting Parker into the starting lineup. Will a second unit led by Hill be enough? Does Manu go back to the bench too? RJ?

I'm having my doubts. I know that Parker is needed to start the game but I am pretty worried on how the rest of the rotations will work out.

stéphane
05-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the analysis Timvp.

Quick question. As I stated in another thread aren't you surprised that Pop sticked THAT long with Georges on Nash while he was obviously getting burned every time on D.
He's always been the kind of coach who's willing to call his players names and burning timeouts when they were showing defensive inabilities.

Scola
05-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Good Break down timvp.
-RJ with his 5 points is making Bruce Bowen seems like an offensive force. He seriously need to contribute at least double digits. He should be driving to the rim since he isn't hitting the outside shot.
-Will Hill's confidence go down if he gets sent back to the bench? You don't wanna lose him for the series...
=Bottom line is the Spurs started off horrible... they were on the verge of getting blown out but somehow managed to keep coming back. A game 2 win would be huge, don't wanna come back to SA 0-2. It wouldn't be the end of the world but it would reduce the error margin to virtually 0.

Danny.Zhu
05-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks.

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
The big three need to be the big three in this series. Those three guys have historically played well against the Suns.

No mas, Pop. That means NO MASON!

If we can get any kind of meaningful production out of RJ, that would be extremely helpful.

Hill and Blair will play better in game 2.

polandprzem
05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I may point something out I've already pointed out. I make it quick.

$ - Pick and rolls by the spurs were not well played. We should destroy this suns team playing screenrolls. Also setting the screens were weak and suns were able to defend almost every screen that was made by the spurs players.

$ - Pick and roll defense on Nash - gameplan was good and I think we can continue to do this again in the second game but well be better at executing this plan! It looks like a trap for nash cutting the most probable passing lane while doubling him. Third guy is involved and the ball is ours.
that also put some of Amares game away.

$- They can lose a luggage in the airport but when they need to lose mason, they are not doing it.
I could play better then him. His defense is horrific at best.

$ - If Tim can overcome the 4down with Suns pressing him with double and having closed ALL the passing lanes it would be nice. Also it would be nice that our guards would slash or make some cuts, free themselves to create some havoc and create new passing lanes which Tim would find.
We are short. We can't spread the floor with no danger from outside.

$ - RJ - I'm disappointed, he should be there in transition all game long.

$ - Richardson like I said before. I've no idea how can we defend him? Richard? Then Manu will be backed down by Hill ... hmm

$ - Spurs players were hesitant. Not good sign. Bonner and dyess must to pick this up. And I would like to see better production from lair and spurs winning the boards. We can't let the suns guys have the ball more then we do.

Slippy
05-04-2010, 07:43 AM
The starting five in the second half played great to get the lead back but Pop made a error in judgement in not callin time-out before the lead blew out back to 10. One thing was to get the team settled and a breather. Manu had been the only sub so far. The other was to get a hot shooting Manu back in. Watching him sitting almost 2 min on the scorers' table and doing nothing to stem the tide were good enough reasons.

Still like our chances though. A lot of positive signs.

timvp
05-04-2010, 07:47 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs handle re-inserting Parker into the starting lineup. Will a second unit led by Hill be enough? Does Manu go back to the bench too? RJ?

I'm having my doubts. I know that Parker is needed to start the game but I am pretty worried on how the rest of the rotations will work out.I wouldn't put Manu on the bench. I'd replace Hill with TP. If you play TP, Manu and RJ, Nash really doesn't have anyone to defend. Nash on Hill isn't too bad of a matchup for PHX.

The bench is going to be weak but Hill will have a better chance to thrive off the bench. Keeping him in the starting lineup is a waste because he can't defend any of the Suns' starters. Instead of having him worried about getting abused on D, I think the easier matchups off the bench will allow him to also concentrate on bringing some O.

I've supported the current starting lineup and I've said I want Hill to start either at PG or SG ... but this matchup against the Suns calls for this change. Hopefully Pop makes the right move.

Thanks for the analysis Timvp.

Quick question. As I stated in another thread aren't you surprised that Pop sticked THAT long with Georges on Nash while he was obviously getting burned every time on D.
He's always been the kind of coach who's willing to call his players names and burning timeouts when they were showing defensive inabilities.
I was definitely surprised Pop waited so long to fix the leak. Nash was destroying Hill left and right.

Then again, Pop has been a little overconfident in Hill's defensive abilities all season long. The truth is that Hill is an average defender at this point in his career. In some matchups he can be very good due to his length but Hill has his shortcomings on that end -- most notably the fact that he gets lost in pick-and-rolls. This is far from the first time he's been lit up by an elite point guard.

-Will Hill's confidence go down if he gets sent back to the bench? You don't wanna lose him for the series...It's a risk Pop has to take. TP is a perfect fit against the Suns starters. Hill fits very well against their bench. Any other concerns are trumped by those two facts.

polandprzem
05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
The starting five in the second half played great to get the lead back but Pop made a error in judgement in not callin time-out before the lead blew out back to 10. One thing was to get the team settled and a breather. Manu had been the only sub so far. The other was to get a hot shooting Manu back in. Watching him sitting almost 2 min on the scorers' table and doing nothing to stem the tide were good enough reasons.

Still like our chances though. A lot of positive signs.

i was not even mad at Pop for doing this. IMO he wanted to see if the guys will prevail and how they will react.

It might be a bad decision but I think this thing will be watched mostly on video session.

2Cleva
05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
It's a risk Pop has to take. TP is a perfect fit against the Suns starters. Hill fits very well against their bench. Any other concerns are trumped by those two facts.

Pop had to be kicking himself for not playing Hill enough last year and obviously believes stronger in him. I'd be surprised if he pulled the plug after one game considering Pop's previous loyalty to players.

timvp
05-04-2010, 07:57 AM
$ - Richardson like I said before. I've no idea how can we defend him? Richard? Then Manu will be backed down by Hill ... hmm

It's gotta be Manu. RJ is too much of an airhead.

I like Manu on JRich because Manu can rack up steals against JRich's weak dribble. Manu is also big enough to keep JRich from posting him up too often.

That said, Manu has to stay mentally engaged with idea that his job is to stop JRich. He lost him a few times in transition defense and roamed away from him in halfcourt sets. That last three JRich hit was due to Manu just falling alseep on the weakside.

Manu has the ability to really make life difficult for JRich. We'll see if he stays focused enough at the task at hand. Manu by nature is a gambler on the defensive end ... but that has to change for this series.

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Also, when Tim gets the ball down low, he should make his move quickly. I noticed that the Suns defenders were waiting for him to put the ball on the floor and then quickly double-teaming him. The Spur whose defender is leaving to double needs to be ready to cut to the basket.

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM

I like Manu on JRich because Manu can rack up steals against JRich's weak dribble. Manu is also big enough to keep JRich from posting him up too often.

That said, Manu has to stay mentally engaged with idea that his job is to stop JRich. He lost him a few times in transition defense and roamed away from him in halfcourt sets. That last three JRich hit was due to Manu just falling alseep on the weakside.

Manu has the ability to really make life difficult for JRich. We'll see if he stays focused enough at the task at hand. Manu by nature is a gambler on the defensive end ... but that has to change for this series.

<sigh> This is going to be an exhausting series for Manu.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Parker is my guy. Everyone else played shitty. Start Parker now. Everyone else can kiss my ass. Parker plays great. I have his poster and his sneakers. Parker is the man. He drives so well. His layups are fantastic. Oui Oui...Que Oui!

Actually, Timvp, Parker needs to start this series. I'm with you on that.

jiggy_55
05-04-2010, 08:13 AM
One adjustment that needs to be made is putting a concerted effort in giving the ball to RJ and calling a play for him. I'm sorry but it is bullshit that he took only THREE shots last night! Yes RJ was hesitating and playing like a pussy on offense at times, but I don't care. Pop HAS to call plays for him at the end of the day no matter how much of a pussy RJ is being. He needs to shoot and get going if the Spurs are to have any chance at winning this series. 5 points isn't gonna cut it against these Suns, who are much stronger than the Mavs offensively.

And it is so true what you say about him hiding inside the 3 point line. He needs to be behind the line, and if the ball kicks out to him he needs to fucking shoot it. We can't have Manu as our one and only 3 point threat this whole series. RJ needs to shoot them when he's open, as do Hill and Bonner.

On another note, when the fuck is Parker going to develop a 3 point shot? For fucks sake learn how to shoot the three TP! He kills us with that, almost every scoring guard in the NBA can shoot the 3 consistently except TP.

Slippy
05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
i was not even mad at Pop for doing this. IMO he wanted to see if the guys will prevail and how they will react.

It might be a bad decision but I think this thing will be watched mostly on video session.

Yah i was mad becuase i've seen Pop mis-manage Manu a couple of times in the Dallas series. Going by how he was calling time-outs through-out the play-offs that time-out needed to happen. You can only afford to " see if the guys will prevail and how they will react" in the regular season. Plus that starting five were tired from cutting into the deficit and getting the lead. Having to do it again in the 4th just took too much out of the team.

bus driver
05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
this reminds me of game 1 against the mavs; they couldnt do no wrong (mavs, phoenix) and the spurs played sloppy and only lost by 8 or 9. almost had a chance to hold the lead.
not to worry.....they will be back for a game 2.
:flag::lobt2::flag:

Doctor J
05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
If Parker starts, who's going to be his backcourt partner? Hill? or Manu?

I don't think Hill would defend Richardson effectively, either.

If Gino starts, that means we won't have a legit sixth man to lead the second unit...

Spursfanfromafar
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM

RJ may and in fact is an airhead, but considering he brings almost nothing these days on the offensive end, except for gravy; the hope is that he keeps his chops busy on the defensive one. And thats why I think he is better off concentrating on J-Rich. Manu can take care of Grant Hill ..and then switch to J-Rich when his radar is fully on, as in, in the 4th quarter..

El Parche
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Sun's shots were goin down like a tube down the Gualdalupe. I expect better rotations by the Spurs and a few missed shots next game.

Ocotillo
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
-I had hope that Roger Mason, Jr. could be a sleeper for the Spurs in this series. Consider those hopes dashed. Mason was horrible once again. He missed both of his shots and played pathetic defense. I can't even explain how bad he's playing right now. Mason isn't fit to suit up as the Coyote’s assistant, much less try to help the Spurs win playoff games on the basketball court.

Mason needs to get his suit out and even if Malik Hairston is still dinged up, Mason has no business in the game. I am not saying Hairstons should be in there, just that Mason needs to be in street clothes so Pop cannot call his number.

Bogan for all is offensive shortcomings is the much better option.

I have never been one to throw Bonner under the bus but let me know when you see a Via bus coming because I am gonna be the first to shove him.

jiggy_55
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
While many are calling on Parker to start Game 2, I'm hoping Pop doesn't take that road. Sure Parker will light up Nash all night, but how often is Nash going to light us up for 33 and 10 also? Chances are Nash will cool off a bit in Game 2, and George after watching video will know better how to defend him.

Plus, you gotta consider those 36 year old legs and his 24 year old legs. Hill is young and will be fresh for Game 2, while from now on the 1 day off may not be enough for Nash to rest and produce 30 and 10 a night. I say stick with it for Game 2. If Hill immediately struggles again in the first few minutes, you switch the strategy and never go back. Remember, Hill had a 0 point performance in Game 1 of the 1st round, Pop stuck with it and look at the results. I think it's too early to freak out, the Suns were always expected to win at least 1 of their first 2 home games.

Start Hill in Game 2!

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
While many are calling on Parker to start Game 2, I'm hoping Pop doesn't take that road. Sure Parker will light up Nash all night, but how often is Nash going to light us up for 33 and 10 also? Chances are Nash will cool off a bit in Game 2, and George after watching video will know better how to defend him.

Plus, you gotta consider those 36 year old legs and his 24 year old legs. Hill is young and will be fresh for Game 2, while from now on the 1 day off may not be enough for Nash to rest and produce 30 and 10 a night. I say stick with it, for Game 2. If Hill immediately struggles again in the first few minutes, you switch the strategy and never go back. Remember, Hill had a 0 point performance in Game 1 of the 1st round, Pop stuck with it and look at the results. I think it's too early to freak out, the Suns were always expected to win at least 1 of their first 2 home games.

Start Hill in Game 2!

http://www.nba.com/games/20100503/SASPHX/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0040900221

The +/- for Hill was -22 (a team low). The +/- for Nash was +18 (a team high).

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Mason needs to get his suit out and even if Malik Hairston is still dinged up, Mason has no business in the game. I am not saying Hairstons should be in there, just that Mason needs to be in street clothes so Pop cannot call his number.

Bogan for all is offensive shortcomings is the much better option.

I have never been one to throw Bonner under the bus but let me know when you see a Via bus coming because I am gonna be the first to shove him.

:toast

diego
05-04-2010, 08:47 AM
agree that the team should look to involve RJ more in the 1st Q.

and while manu should have closed out better on that jrich 3, he isnt getting any credit for the steals and charges he took, manu got the team lots of extra possessions with his D.

mason and bonner shouldnt play any more minutes for the rest of the year, i cant believe two guys playing for contracts can be so bad

jiggy_55
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20100503/SASPHX/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0040900221

The +/- for Hill was -22 (a team low). The +/- for Nash was +18 (a team high).

I know. And your point?

It's 1 game, get over it. Hill will be back for Game 2. If he plays like shit in the first few minutes, you immediately yank him for Parker and it's done. Is it that big of a deal of who gets the title "Starter"? If Hill plays bad first 2-3 minutes you pull him out and that's it.

DBMethos
05-04-2010, 08:57 AM
On the plus side for this game, I think that's the best that the Spurs have ever defended the Nash/Amare PnR (except for when George got caught on the screen and let Nash waltz in for a layup). If they can keep defending that well, along with rotating better to shooters and securing the defensive rebound, we'll be fine.

da_suns_fan
05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Suns did a decent enough job of defending the Spurs in the half court, but they got to take away those transition layups for Ginobili and Parker.

AND they need to keep them off the free throw line. Game 2 is gonna be brutal for em.

lefty
05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Timvp is spot on

We can beat them; let's just hope Pop will make the adjustments mentioned by Timvp

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I know. And your point?

It's 1 game, get over it. Hill will be back for Game 2. If he plays like shit in the first few minutes, you immediately yank him for Parker and it's done. Is it that big of a deal of who gets the title "Starter"? If Hill plays bad first 2-3 minutes you pull him out and that's it.

My point is that Nash scorched the kid. Tony just matches up better with him and has a lot more experience defending him.

Manu-of-steel
05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
TP, Manu, and Tim did a good job to bring us back in the game. But the suns' shooters were hot. And we had some defensive breakdowns, especially by Manu on Jrich.

lefty
05-04-2010, 09:30 AM
My point is that Nash scorched the kid. Tony just matches up better with him and has a lot more experience defending him.
Exactly

Hill does have good defensive skills, but he is struggling against most elite PG's.

Biut that's normal, since it's his 2nd season

nkdlunch
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
not worried at all. 1st half seems spurs were still in vs. maverick mode. It took 1 half to transform to a team that could compete vs. Suns. 2nd half was typical Spurs vs. Suns toe to toe. One entire game of this and I like the Spurs chances.

Not to mention I beleive the pain is coming in game 2. flagrants and tough fouls coming up for both sides. That would benefit the Spurs even more.

Brazil
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I know. And your point?

So you give him the starting job against Nash despite an awful game in name of what ? continuity I guess. Nevertheless if he failed the first minutes you bench him. What is your logic ?

Kori Ellis
05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Actually, Timvp, Parker needs to start this series. I'm with you on that.

I realize you always have to be a sarcastic ass, but you do know that Parker isn't even timvp's second or third favorite player on the Spurs, right? :lol

SpurCharger
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Im not Worried At all..... This Game 1 Reminded Me of Game 1 of the Dallas series....... Nash Has A Great Shooting Game(Just Like Nowitzki)........ Richardson explodes(Kinda Like Butler in Game 1)......We Missed A Ton Of free Throws..... Hill And Jefferson did not play well at all..... Duncan Was Awful until That 4th quarter run..... Yet with all that Goin on, we still had A Opportunity to win Game 1...... With Pop making changes and Adjustments, I expect A Better game 2(Just Like in The Dallas Series)...... It Will be 1 to 1 goin Back to San Antonio....

Kori Ellis
05-04-2010, 09:52 AM
So you give him the starting job against Nash despite an awful game in name of what ? continuity I guess. Nevertheless if he failed the first minutes you bench him. What is your logic ?

And it's not just one game. Hill hasn't shown that he can guard Nash at any point - last year, this year, anytime. He's just not the right type of player for Hill to guard. It's nothing against Hill.

That being said, I'd rather bench RJ and just roll with the Manu/Hill/TP as starters. Everyone keeps harping on the fact that "RJ turns invisible when he's not playing at the same time as Manu" and stuff like that.. well, it seems he's invisible the majority of the time - no matter who is on the court.

So.. since the Spurs aren't going to be able to defend both Nash and JRich anyway, might as well put your best players on the court to start the game (despite being small) and just try to outscore them. Then pray that RJ can produce something off the bench. If Pop manages Manu/Hill/TP's minutes right, then one of them will still always be on the floor to handle the ball.

Goran Dragic
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
If I were the Spurs I'd avoid using the Parker Hill back court only cause Phoenix can isolate J-Rich in the post with either one of them for a bad mismatch. That's why perimeter matchups are a problem for both teams this year rather than just the Suns, you could have anyone defend Marion or Bell in the halfcourt and stop them from scoring. Now Parker has to guard someone who is a halfcourt scoring threat.

One thing the Spurs need to do is have Jefferson guard someone worthwhile. He's not gonna be needed for much offense in this series, they should use him to take defensive pressure off Manu/Parker. At the very least, they should have RJ guard J-Rich and Manu guard Hill. Manu gets an easier assignment, and RJ has the size and speed to match J-Rich.

Kori Ellis
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah, in a dream world RJ would actually participate defensively and do things like rebound.

florige
05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Yeah, in a dream world RJ would actually participate defensively and do things like rebound.

:lol

Bender
05-04-2010, 10:19 AM
we've got an underperforming 20 mil player, and an underperforming 15 mil player. Not to mention several bench players who make a few mill and yet do absolutely nothing.

kobyz
05-04-2010, 10:31 AM
not adding another wing man in the trade deadline come back to hunt us, Pop and stuff laid back and do nothing, that was mistake, we barely have bench now!

Capt Bringdown
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Seems to me that when the Spurs went out their way to get Jefferson more involved in the Mavs series, good things happened.

A TP to RJ pass is a rare event, that's a problem.

Suns got to feel great about their chances when the look over at our bench and see that Bowen and Horry aren't there anymore.

I'm not feeling very optimistic even though we made the game close a couple of times. Phoenix stiff armed us and were control from tip off to closing buzzer.

Silverheart80
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Hell must be freezing over today. For the 1st time ever, I actually agree with something Doug Collins said.

Jefferson hurts the Spurs' offensive spacing when he positions inside the 3-point line. It makes it easier for his defender to double Tim or another player driving to the bucket. Sabotages our offense when he does that. In years past, we had the threat of Bruce in the corner and that kept the defense honest. Not so when RJ sits inside the 3-point line. I'm not saying he should jack up 3-point bricks all day, but he's gotta draw his defender away so that the defense can't sag so easily.

Would be nice if he could actually hit one of those shots once in a while, but even if he's a statue, he's gotta bring his defender away from the basket.

Spacing out the Suns' defense is key to breaking them down. Always has been. They're a better defensive team with Grant Hill. Can still be broken down easily as a team, but spacing has to be there every time.

Cry Havoc
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hell must be freezing over today. For the 1st time ever, I actually agree with something Doug Collins said.

Jefferson hurts the Spurs' offensive spacing when he positions inside the 3-point line. It makes it easier for his defender to double Tim or another player driving to the bucket. Sabotages our offense when he does that. In years past, we had the threat of Bruce in the corner and that kept the defense honest. Not so when RJ sits inside the 3-point line. I'm not saying he should jack up 3-point bricks all day, but he's gotta draw his defender away so that the defense can't sag so easily.

Would be nice if he could actually hit one of those shots once in a while, but even if he's a statue, he's gotta bring his defender away from the basket.

Spacing out the Suns' defense is key to breaking them down. Always has been. They're a better defensive team with Grant Hill. Can still be broken down easily as a team, but spacing has to be there every time.

I was watching when he pointed it out. One of the most insightful comments I've ever heard stated in the middle of a playoff game.

RJ needs to back up. Even if he's not going to shoot the 3, force the defender to come out to meet you, and drive past him to get penetration into the Suns defense.

PDXSpursFan
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
TD need to start making some free-throw. Since the beginning of the playoffs he's been down to Shaq's level.

Goran Dragic
05-04-2010, 11:12 AM

touche :lol, just trying to offer a suggestion.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I realize you always have to be a sarcastic ass, but you do know that Parker isn't even timvp's second or third favorite player on the Spurs, right? :lol

coulda fooled me. He will defend him to the death. He is rarely critical of him, unlike the rest of our guys. And I know he is a fan of Tony getting 18+ Attempts Per, which is beyond questionable. Maybe its a subconscious man crush.

rascal
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Plus, you gotta consider those 36 year old legs and his 24 year old legs. Hill is young and will be fresh for Game 2, while from now on the 1 day off may not be enough for Nash to rest and produce 30 and 10 a night. I say stick with it for Game 2. If Hill immediately struggles again in the first few minutes, you switch the strategy and never go back. Remember, Hill had a 0 point performance in Game 1 of the 1st round, Pop stuck with it and look at the results. I think it's too early to freak out, the Suns were always expected to win at least 1 of their first 2 home games.

Start Hill in Game 2!

Start Parker. Hill will play better with less pressure on him. Hill still needs more seasoning as a player to be counted on as a starter.

sonic21
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not worried, the game was close with all the role players not showing up.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I would like to see temple get a shot at nash. just sayin.

Silverheart80
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Parker2112 -- When you're saying you want Temple to get a shot at Nash -- you saying that you think he could make Nash work on defense and maybe have advantage on offense? Can maybe get with you there.

But when Nash has the ball, you honestly think Temple can cover him? After Nash embarrassed GHill so easily? Nash doesn't outathletic anyone. He just uses all of their bad tendencies against them. I think rookie would get roasted on defense.

That said, I'd rather see Temple in the game than Mason every time, so if that's the choice, then yeah, roll the dice.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Parker2112 -- When you're saying you want Temple to get a shot at Nash -- you saying that you think he could make Nash work on defense and maybe have advantage on offense? Can maybe get with you there.

But when Nash has the ball, you honestly think Temple can cover him? After Nash embarrassed GHill so easily? Nash doesn't outathletic anyone. He just uses all of their bad tendencies against them. I think rookie would get roasted on defense.

That said, I'd rather see Temple in the game than Mason every time, so if that's the choice, then yeah, roll the dice.

My thinking is that Nash hasn't seen Temple yet (I might be wrong), and so Temple comes iun as an unknown. I think Nash would need some time to get Temple figured out, maybe a half or so, so we at least have that...and I think Temple has a better shot at recovering when Nash blows by him than George...he is taller than Hill and has shown the ability to recover from behind, and even block shots from behind. Hill has too, just not on Nash. And if Temple is in for RMJ, I think its safe to say we lose nothing

Goran Dragic
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm not worried, the game was close with all the role players not showing up.

Phoenix's role players were as M.I.A. as San Antonio's. Chances are on Wednesday that Phoenix's big 3 won't combine for 83 points and the Spurs' big 3 won't combine for 73 points, the role players who step up will go a long way in determining the game. Both teams have a big question at SG. How will J-Rich play through the defensive adjustments Popovich throws at him, and is Manu capable of a vintage 2005 night only 48 hours after he had a 2005 night. The Suns should focus on stopping everyone but Manu and Duncan in the 1st quarter knowing there's a good chance they run out of gas.

Goran Dragic
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201004070PHO.html

Nash has experience against Temple but he guards Nash better than either Hill or Parker do. A defender with height that Nash can't over the top of always give him more problems than shorter defenders with speed.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201004070PHO.html

Nash has experience against Temple but he guards Nash better than either Hill or Parker do. A defender with height that Nash can't over the top of always give him more problems than shorter defenders with speed.

Those numbers dont look all that convincing for putting Temple on Nash :lol

Goran Dragic
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't remember that game extremely well but from what I remember Nash didn't get going till Temple was out of the game. Early on he was struggling (I think). He's got his problems but SA really needs to get Jefferson involved, they're shooting themselves in the foot letting J-Rich take possessions on defense off and/or roaming around to double with impunity. Given how no one has any idea what adjustments Gentry and Popovich plan on making, game 2 just needs to start.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't remember that game extremely well but from what I remember Nash didn't get going till Temple was out of the game. Early on he was struggling (I think). He's got his problems but SA really needs to get Jefferson involved, they're shooting themselves in the foot letting J-Rich take possessions on defense off and/or roaming around to double with impunity. Given how no one has any idea what adjustments Gentry and Popovich plan on making, game 2 just needs to start.

These playoffs, I have been getting the feeling that Pop seems to hold his best stuff for certain games...he seems to shorten his rotation, and it seems like if he is coaching to win, you wont see RMJ or Bogans at all. Maybe its just me. I know after finding our rythym vs Dallas, Pop pulled out a cast of dogs for game 5, and it made me wonder if he was simply saving his best stuff for game 6 at home...I know that sounds retarded, but I cant understand why his approach changed soo much in that game.

Last night I got the same feeling, and the promising thing is, we almost won.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not looking past the Suns yet though

benefactor
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I was going to say this...but letting him look stupid seemed like the better route to take.

Stringer_Bell
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you think Pop cried himself to sleep watching video of Channing Frye's 3-point shooting being everything he thought Bonner could be? :(

Brazil
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Do you think Pop cried himself to sleep watching video of Channing Frye's 3-point shooting being everything he thought Bonner could be? :(

I was thinking exactly the same.

Cheddz
05-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Jefferson needs to get some early shots in, make the no-defense Suns bite on the fake and drive to the hoop. Simple as that. Let Tony and Manu and Tim do what they did, add Jefferson actually looking like he wants to do something and we can win about four games this series.

Parker2112
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I was going to say this...but letting him look stupid seemed like the better route to take.

To be as sarcastic as you guys try to be, you two sure are sensitive.

If this was new, I wouldn't mention it. This bias goes back at least to the beginning of last year. I thought it was short sighted then, and the carryover isnt any better.

I call em like I see em, and I will continue to do so. Timvp puts out another article praising Tony alone, expect the same. Dont like it, ban me again. :lol

funny thing, as great as you folks may be at dedicating your waking hours to posting on this board, your collective fandom unraveled around Feb, at which point I, along with many others, lost major respect.

Otherwise, the whole thing is quite a bore...:sleep

Blackjack
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't put Manu on the bench. I'd replace Hill with TP. If you play TP, Manu and RJ, Nash really doesn't have anyone to defend. Nash on Hill isn't too bad of a matchup for PHX.

The bench is going to be weak but Hill will have a better chance to thrive off the bench. Keeping him in the starting lineup is a waste because he can't defend any of the Suns' starters. Instead of having him worried about getting abused on D, I think the easier matchups off the bench will allow him to also concentrate on bringing some O.

I've supported the current starting lineup and I've said I want Hill to start either at PG or SG ... but this matchup against the Suns calls for this change. Hopefully Pop makes the right move.

I get the rationale, but I'm not so sure. The Spurs have had two lineups this year that've have managed to create a balance throughout their personnel groupings: one was what they managed against Dallas; and the other was Parker, Hill, Bogans, 'Dyess and Duncan.

I get that suggesting Bogans getting a start is a vomit-inducing proposition, but he's going to see minutes (I cringed when he had some success, as I'd seen it before and the results that followed -- more playing time, no rewards reaped) and if they happen to come early, in order to find some balance and rhythm to the first and second unit, as quickly as possible, so be it -- between Pop's need to have a starter coming off the bench and Phoenix's second unit, it seems the best, most logical way to go given the personnel (even if Bogans is part of it -- ugh . . .).

I was definitely surprised Pop waited so long to fix the leak. Nash was destroying Hill left and right.

Then again, Pop has been a little overconfident in Hill's defensive abilities all season long. The truth is that Hill is an average defender at this point in his career. In some matchups he can be very good due to his length but Hill has his shortcomings on that end -- most notably the fact that he gets lost in pick-and-rolls. This is far from the first time he's been lit up by an elite point guard.

The thing that's always bothered me with Hill is the way he uses his length; it should be utilized to contain and not relied upon to recover. And the way he has trouble getting skinny, to get over and around picks, has always been a concern. But last night his effort to stay in the play was disappointing -- how many times did you see Bowen come from behind to stymie a Nash play once he got by because of a dogged, unrelenting effort to not concede the play? Hill conceded much too often.

It's a risk Pop has to take. TP is a perfect fit against the Suns starters. Hill fits very well against their bench. Any other concerns are trumped by those two facts.

I'm not sure it is. Hill's been one of their four best players and his play should pick up once he arrives back at the AT&T Center. But if you demote him to the bench (because that's what it'd be, a demotion -- this isn't sending Tony or Manu there), you could very well lose him in a diminished capacity -- I get that he's not a great matchup defensively for the Suns but he should be much better offensively moving forward, playing off the ball, and the Spurs need him to be playing as confidently and productively as possible. Plus, if you bring him off the bench to go up against Dragic ... what do you do with him the rest of the time? Do you significantly cut his minutes or use him situationally?

Hill's just too important to this team's success to take that approach, IMO.

That being said, I'd rather bench RJ and just roll with the Manu/Hill/TP as starters. Everyone keeps harping on the fact that "RJ turns invisible when he's not playing at the same time as Manu" and stuff like that.. well, it seems he's invisible the majority of the time - no matter who is on the court.

So.. since the Spurs aren't going to be able to defend both Nash and JRich anyway, might as well put your best players on the court to start the game (despite being small) and just try to outscore them. Then pray that RJ can produce something off the bench. If Pop manages Manu/Hill/TP's minutes right, then one of them will still always be on the floor to handle the ball.

I agree with the Hill take and putting RJ on the bench, but I do think he needs to be joined by Manu to start the game. Again, the Suns' second unit is just too potent (especially at home) and I just can't see Pop abandoning his starter-off-the-bench philosophy. But more than that, as it pertains to the actual basketball, starting the game with the focal point being Tony and Tim surrounded by spot-up shooters (Hill and Bogans in the corners and 'Dyess at the elbow) should allow Parker and Duncan the space and opportunities to get off -- Bogans was respected enough last night to prevent the Suns' swingmen from digging down on Tim and disrupting his moves or passing lanes, and that lineup allows Tony just about free reign.

I think you stoke the individual fires in batteries or tandems (however you want to put it) to start the game -- Tim and Tony to start, then off the bench with Manu and RJ -- in an effort to build the collective fire by endgame -- it just seems the best way to get their top seven players off to a good start and to find a better rhythm and balance, IMO.

MannyIsGod
05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Fuck. Starting Bogans might be the best thing to do.

Fuck.

FUCK.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
:lol :lol

benefactor
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
To be as sarcastic as you guys try to be, you two sure are sensitive.

If this was new, I wouldn't mention it. This bias goes back at least to the beginning of last year. I thought it was short sighted then, and the carryover isnt any better.

I call em like I see em, and I will continue to do so. Timvp puts out another article praising Tony alone, expect the same. Dont like it, ban me again. :lol

funny thing, as great as you folks may be at dedicating your waking hours to posting on this board, your collective fandom unraveled around Feb, at which point I, along with many others, lost major respect.

Otherwise, the whole thing is quite a bore...:sleep

letting him look stupid seemed like the better route to take.
:wakeup

objective
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
-Well, I guess it isn't just the Mavs in the postseason. Matt Bonner played 13 timid minutes against the Suns. Offensively, Bonner seems to actively be searching for excuses not to fire up open looks. He's using his dribble way too much when he should just shoot. On defense, Bonner didn't play with much grit -- especially against Stoudemire. Bonner finished with two points and three rebounds on 1-for-2 shooting. If you watch him on the court, Bonner just doesn't look like a player who is comfortable with the pressure of the postseason. That is unfortunate for the Spurs, especially against this Suns team that is boiling over with young players ready and willing to leave their mark.

Can anyone be shocked at the awful trotted out by Mason and Bonner? This was said before the series even started, hell, before the season started. Hell, once news broke of Bonner getting his completely unjustified deal.

The other options aren't good, but they have to be used for the good of the team. First, Mason should be deactivated. Maybe Hairston's ankle is healed, maybe it isn't, I don't care. Mason wanted off the team, time to give him his wish, because he's playing like he's on an opposing team already. I'd rather see Temple or Hairston get a 5-minute burn in a first half and hope they don't hurt the team rather than see Mason get one single minute.

Second, no more Bonner. That's it. How many bad performances does it take to be held accountable? I'd rather see more McDyess. I'd rather see more Blair. I'd rather see smallball with Jefferson or Bogans at the 4. And yes, I'd rather see Ian Mahinmi go for a 3 minute burst in the first half to just stay with a Collins or a Frye and let him pick-n-roll with Parker a couple of times to see what happens.

He can stay suited up, but no more excuses. It doesn't matter how hard he tries on defense, because he doesn't accomplish anything. It's like Wooden said, "Never mistake activity for achievement". Well that's Matt Bonner.

benefactor
05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Beat me to it, Blackjack. :tu

Just trading out Parker for Hill produces a lineup that is potent and may work, but I have very little faith in a bench that features Hill as the lone play maker.

The whole thing is a bit of a catch-22. If the Spurs start Bogans, the Suns can hide Nash on him defensively. If they start TP/Manu/RJ, then Pop has to be careful with the lineups and minutes...as Manu will be needed to help with the second unit play making responsibilities as he did earlier in the year.

What the Spurs need the most is the George Hill from the Dallas series to walk out of the tunnel on Thursday. That or RJ from game 2.....

HarlemHeat37
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
That's the most annoying part about Mason's minutes..the guy ASKED for a fucking trade..he's a UFA at the end of the season..why is Pop giving him minutes?..I know Manu4Tres made a thread about Pop's heart being too soft or whatever, but it's becoming too much..

There's absolutely no reason for Mason to be playing any minutes at this point..he's pretty much guaranteed not to be back next year, there's really no reason to play him..there's no possible way that Hairston and Temple could be worse TBH..at least those guys play D and they're both trying to compete to become legit NBA players and get their first real contracts..

Frustrating..

ploto
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't put Manu on the bench. I'd replace Hill with TP. If you play TP, Manu and RJ, Nash really doesn't have anyone to defend. Nash on Hill isn't too bad of a matchup for PHX.

I would not be surprsed to see them put Nash on Jefferson if they have to so Grant Hill can cover Parker.

ManuTastic
05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
this reminds me of game 1 against the mavs; they couldnt do no wrong (mavs, phoenix) and the spurs played sloppy and only lost by 8 or 9. almost had a chance to hold the lead.
not to worry.....they will be back for a game 2.
:flag::lobt2::flag:

Amen. Actually it reminds me of most Spurs playoff series: coming out flat, getting beaten like a drum, then turning up the intensity when their backs are to the wall. Personally I don't need the extra aggravation, but that's just the way this team has always been.:flag:

neboat
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Tim needs to operate closer to the basket. Last night he got the ball so far away from the basket it allowed the defender to recover after his initial move. TD needs to establish position closer so that he is ready to take a quality shot after one or two quick moves. He needs to remember he isn't playing against Dampier or Haywood where he had the quickness advantage. Of course our passers gotta make quick crisp passes to the post. Take Frye and Amare down low Timmy!

peskypesky
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
No more Mason, Pop! For the love of God! Give his minutes to Hairston, who will actually do something with his time on the court.

m33p0
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
but how often is Nash going to light us up for 33 and 10 also? Chances are Nash will cool off a bit in Game 2

Nash Has A Great Shooting Game(Just Like Nowitzki)
you two expect Nash to miss his layups the rest of the way? coz that's how Hill got toasted.... layups!

SenorSpur
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Great write-up, as always.

Agree on George Hill. Hill is a very good and emerging young player, as he demonstrated versus the Mavs. However, I always thought the coaching staff somewhat overrated his defensive ability. Allowing him to guard the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo and other top stars on occasion. In almost every instance, he's overmatched against these bigger, elite offensive players. However, one would assume that Hill should have at least been able to stay in front of a 37 years old, Steve Nash. Terribly wrong. Nash carved him up like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Hopefully, Pop and staff will devise a better strategy for slowing down the Suns "head of the snake".

PM5K
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I think at some point Pop needs to tell RJ that if he doesn't take X amount of shots per game with X amount of them being three's, there will be repercussions.

So for example ten total shots, three of which are three point shots. I mean it seems the biggest issue is this guy doesn't want to shoot the rock.

rmt
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I would not be surprsed to see them put Nash on Jefferson if they have to so Grant Hill can cover Parker.

Can Jefferson post up Nash? Or is that not part of his game (like so many other things)?

SpurOutofTownFan
05-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Short comments here:

- Bonner was awful on D and scared to hit open looks. If his D is poor he needs to shoot the 3 at least, otherwise there is no reason to have him out there.

- Bogans will get minutes again - for his limitations I think he was one of the best bench players. He was pretty good IMO.

- Mason: no comments. He's invisible.

- Pop: he didn't take time out on the get back run on the 3rd by the Suns, obviously playing CIA Pop to try to will his team to behave and play like they are supposed to. He let them get gouged by the Suns there. It backfired as many of the things and strategy backfired big time last night.

Capt Bringdown
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
However, one would assume that Hill should have at least been able to stay in front of a 37 years old, Steve Nash.

Still can't figure this out. He is not quick enough? Doesn't make any sense.

Nash had 25 points in game 1 of the Portland series, which was a Phoenix loss. Perhaps it was the Spurs strategy to make Nash a scorer, but allowing him to score 17 points in the first quarter is mind-boggling.

When's the last time a 37 year old player scored 17 points in one quarter in the playoffs? Has to be some kind of record.

Spurs players and coaching staff should hang their heads in shame for allowing that to happen.

GSH
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
The Suns had their best game of the playoffs so far. If the Spurs were as gassed as a lot of people are saying, it wouldn't have been a 3 point game with 3 minutes to play. On a night where no players were feeling their shots, most teams would have packed it in. The Spurs scratched and clawed and gave themelves a chance at a classic "ugly win". The Suns won the game, but every player on the team knows that they weren't safe, even on a good night for them and a bad night for the Spurs.

I guarantee you one thing - there wasn't a single Suns fan in the arena or watching at home who wasn't thinking, "Oh hell - here we go again."

I can't believe how quick some people are to write off George Hill. He's a hard worker, and a quick study. Just as importand, he's fearless. His performance in Game 1 isn't going to weigh on his Game 2 in any way. I'll be shocked if he doesn't absolutely kick ass next game.

It was his first time as a starter against Steve Nash. Nash is a 2-time MVP, and he was in the zone last night. When he plays like that, he's a challenge for any player in the league. The best you can hope for is to limit the damage. Hill will make adjustments, and do a better job on Nash next time.

Nobody thought the Suns would be easy to beat. But a few small adjustments is all it would have taken to win that game. I feel confident that the Spurs can improve their performance from Game 1. Can the Suns? I think the Spurs took their best punch, and had them worried right up to the end. It's a setup for a "steal" of Game 2.

TD 21
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm having my doubts. I know that Parker is needed to start the game but I am pretty worried on how the rest of the rotations will work out.

This whole concern about the second unit if Parker and Ginobili both start is overblown. It just comes down to working the rotation so that there's never a stretch where neither is on the floor.

If they both start, Pop could put in Hill (or Bogans) for Ginobili five-six minutes in, then bring him back after a three minute break and have Parker rest for the remainder of the quarter. Then bring him back early in the second quarter, play them together for a few minutes, then get Ginobili another brief rest. Then they could finish the half together. So one could always be on the court, playing with the second unit. How hard is that?

Pauleta14
05-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Waow not even the 3rd? :depressed... poor Tony...
he definetely should traded... :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
05-05-2010, 12:43 AM
On second thought what does it matter.

Noone in the West has a chance at beating the Lakers :(

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Phoenix has a chance vs. LA IMO..small chance, but a chance..

Blackjack
05-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Who's noone? :downspin:

temujin
05-05-2010, 03:32 AM
At the end, this series will boil down to whose energy drops faster, Duncan's or Nash's.

At any rate, having seen how the other series is "reffed", it looks like another LA trip to the Finals.

Capt Bringdown
05-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Phoenix has a chance vs. LA IMO..small chance, but a chance..

Phoenix can put pressure on the Lakers defense. I don't think the deliberate offense of the Spurs can do that. Plus, we've got too many non-performers to get past the Lakers, perhaps even the Suns.

Bonner, Mason and RJ are our tickets out of the playoffs. Shame really, because if just one of these dudes could step up, it would make a world of difference.

Based on the Mavs series, I still hold out hope that RJ can make a contribution. Bonner & Mason - fahgetaboutit.

rascal
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Phoenix can put pressure on the Lakers defense. I don't think the deliberate offense of the Spurs can do that. Plus, we've got too many non-performers to get past the Lakers, perhaps even the Suns.

Bonner, Mason and RJ are our tickets out of the playoffs. Shame really, because if just one of these dudes could step up, it would make a world of difference.

Based on the Mavs series, I still hold out hope that RJ can make a contribution. Bonner & Mason - fahgetaboutit.

Agree. Too many non productive players on the roster and a thin frontline to knock off the lakers.