PDA

View Full Version : 3pt shooting- how crucial will it be?

booonkers
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
how crucial will it be moving forward in the playoffs? seems like we don't have adequate 3pt shooters in the team this year. how will this affect the team? i mean it's kinda confusing cos of course you want our players to be driving but it seems like most of the players are losing confidence in their 3pt shot. i'm worried cos i feel that although scoring in the paint is more ideal, it needs to be balanced out by efficient 3pt shooting but so far the spurs have been terrible at it this playoffs.

MoSpur
05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Well as you can see it didn't help us last night. The Spurs are way better when guys are hitting the threes. Especially guys like Bonner and Mason when they're in the game.

booonkers
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
yeah they were. looking at the roster, we don't seem to have potent 3pt shooters aside from probably manu. man, efficient three pt shooting has been an important factor in our playoff runs. sucks that it kinda seems like we wont be having that this time just when we need that added punch.

MoSpur
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
In Dallas the Spurs didn't need it, which surprised me. They didn't shoot it well aside from George Hill really and still won the series. However, I think it will be more important this series. Bonner really needs to step it up. Mason needs to take advantage of the playing time he gets whether its five minutes or 15 minutes. He's a good shooter and needs to just relax and make them.

in2deep
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
it doesn't help that 2 of our "3 pt shooters" are pussies when it comes to the playoffs. (mason/bonner)

Manu + Hill are the only ones. Bogans gona have some forced minutes and hopefully make a couple.

sa_butta
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
The scary part is that in each of our championship runs we have had at least one solid 3pt. shooter. We can get the guys the open looks they just can't knock em down. It will be amazing if we come out of the west without a reliable three shooter other than Ginobili and Hill.

wildbill2u
05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
how crucial will it be moving forward in the playoffs? seems like we don't have adequate 3pt shooters in the team this year. how will this affect the team? i mean it's kinda confusing cos of course you want our players to be driving but it seems like most of the players are losing confidence in their 3pt shot. i'm worried cos i feel that although scoring in the paint is more ideal, it needs to be balanced out by efficient 3pt shooting but so far the spurs have been terrible at it this playoffs.

Players are passing up clear clean shots from the arc. This isn't about being unselfish and moving the ball, it's about fear of failure and loss of confidence.

We can't beat these guys without the 3s.

MateoNeygro
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
It's very important. The Spurs shot 4-19 from 3. The Suns shot 7-20 from long range. The Spurs had more Offensive Rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks and less turnovers and still lost by quite a bit.

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Spurs 3fg% in wins: 40%
Spurs 3fg% in losses: 28%

Gotta hit those 3's.

ElNono
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Major... Those corner 3's from Hill against Dallas were a major difference in Game 4 and Game 6. But when you only have one guy, and a sophomore at that, you're putting a lot of pressure on him. Unfortunately, asking Mason or Bonner to step up is like asking for an impossible.

MateoNeygro
05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Major... Those corner 3's from Hill against Dallas were a major difference in Game 4 and Game 6. But when you only have one guy, and a sophomore at that, you're putting a lot of pressure on him. Unfortunately, asking Mason or Bonner to step up is like asking for an impossible.

Yeah. Mason and Bonner piss me off. I want them gone after this season. They do nothing for us in the playoffs, I'm so over this shit.

the crimson blur
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Very important.

Our spacing has been bad at times because our 3 pt shooters don't need to be guarded (Bogans, Mason, Bonner). Manu, Tony, Timmy, and Hill would average 30 each on this sorry Suns defense if our 3 pt shooters were decent. Right now, Hill and Manu, 2 core players, not role players, are our best 3 pt shooters. Frankly, you want those guys driving though, because a lot of their 3s are off iso step-backs (esp. Manu's) rather than kickouts. They aren't open 3s but contested ones. Its hard to maintain a good 3 pt percentage when those are the looks you are consistently getting.

Dex
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I brought this up during the Dallas series, and unfortunately, we still haven't seen a change in the landscape.

The Spurs are going to have a hard time surviving this round if the only two players who can reliably shoot the three are Manu Ginobili and George Hill. Especially if George Hill is going to be hot and cold.

Jefferson is the one that needs to step up. He's the only one getting enough time to make a difference.

Even in their limited minutes, I'd take a couple timely threes from Bonner, Mason, or Bogans (like the one he had last night), but those are seeming less and less likely.

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Actually it's Manu who needs to step up. He's 6 for 27 on 3's over the last 5 games.

mingus
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
the Spurs have probably the worst 3-point shooting team that i can remember them having in the Duncan era. on the flipside, they've got probably the best one-on-one, most individually talented team that they've had in that period as well.

the solution is clear-cut to me: get RJ involved. getting him involved and utilizing his scoring ability can compensate for the lack of three point shooting on this team. the Spurs record when he gets like 14+ is 37-6 or something like that. they had that up last week during one of the games. for whatever reason, though, they go away from him after he has a good game. it's like the Big 3 have cut a deal with him where he's only allowed to have one good game a week.