PDA

View Full Version : will manu go back to bench?

rjv
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
one has to wonder if parker now starts and if so how pop will get fire power off of the bench now. the suns bench will outscore ours if we have just hill and then the sad crew of bonner, boggins and mason and then the rookie, albeit talented, blair.

as a result, i have to wonder if this means manu goes back to being that spark plug.

TDomination
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
i was actually thinking about this, and i would not be surprised if the starting line up is

parker
bogans
jefferson
duncan
dice

i would assume that it would either be bogans or mason in instead of manu, and i would choose bogans instead of mason.

and that way manu goes to the bench with hill

blkroadrunners
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
i was actually thinking about this, and i would not be surprised if the starting line up is

parker
bogans
jefferson
duncan
dice

i would assume that it would either be bogans or mason in instead of manu, and i would choose bogans instead of mason.

I personally like Bogans/Ginobili starting over Jefferson since it's a better defensive lineup against Hill and JRich, but that's just my opinion.

DAF86
05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Bogans shouldn't play at all, he doesn't bring anything to the table.

flacura
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
What about

parker
hill
bogans
duncan
dice

and bring manu and Jefferson in a second unit?

Blake
05-04-2010, 02:16 PM
personally, I think the starting five should be:

Parker
Hill
Dice
Tim
Bogans

the 2nd unit of RJ, Manu, Blair, Bonner and player x should pound on Phx's 2nd unit.

Blake
05-04-2010, 02:16 PM
What about

parker
hill
bogans
duncan
dice

:lol

beat me by 3 minutes

PDXSpursFan
05-04-2010, 02:18 PM
No time for experiments now. The only change that should be done is starting Parker instead of Hill. And the only reason for that is because Parker can do a better job of defending Nash + put more pressure attacking the lanes.

flacura
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
:lol

beat me by 3 minutes

:toast

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 02:21 PM
We can shuffle the lineup however we want but the fundamental problem still remains. There need to be more than 7 guys who can contribute on a given night and right now there's just not. You've got the big 3 who produce most nights, the next 4 who are hit or miss, and then there's just nothing after that.

rjv
05-04-2010, 02:30 PM
i think hil can guard nash but he just can not pressure him on the offensive side as much. perhaps we will see a more aggressive hill tomorrow if he does get the start.

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
What about

parker
hill
bogans
duncan
dice

I'm not opposed to this at all. If manu comes off bench which may be a good idea in this series, his replacement should definitely not be Mason, but rather Hill or Bogans, but knowing how Jefferson does better and prefers playing with Manu on the court, it's worth considering bringing both off the bench.

I think for a lot of reasons it makes sense to try something like this. To start games we really don't need Tony and Manu at the same time, they both have to get there offense going early and when both are on the floor it's almost like a waste because both can create for themselves, especially against Phoenix. Of course throughout the game I want to see a lot of Parker and Manu at the same time, but we might as well start games with at least one of them on the floor at all times throughout the 1st and most of 2nd quarter to keep the offense in flowing.

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Bogans shouldn't play at all, he doesn't bring anything to the table.

But we simply can't play a series with only Tim, Manu, Parker, Jefferson, Dice, Hill, Blair, and (sadly) Bonner. We need at least another player into the rotation, and Mason has been just as useless on offense, but Bogans will at least play defense.

rjv
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM
We can shuffle the lineup however we want but the fundamental problem still remains. There need to be more than 7 guys who can contribute on a given night and right now there's just not. You've got the big 3 who produce most nights, the next 4 who are hit or miss, and then there's just nothing after that.

that has been our whole season in a nutshell. and thus, the degree of uncertainty when it comes to guessing just how far this team can go.

jjktkk
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
What about

parker
hill
bogans
duncan
dice

This lineup was starting to play well before Parker broke his hand.

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
that has been our whole season in a nutshell. and thus, the degree of uncertainty when it comes to guessing just how far this team can go.

Yep. Sooner or later lack of depth will catch up with you. For all the grief he got, this team could really use Michael Finley right about now.

Doe
05-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a few concerns with starting both Bogans AND Hill. Firstly, when (if?) the Suns figure out Bogans can't shoot, he'll kill the spacing and we'll see the same thing that happened during the regular season in which defenders weren't even in the same zip code as Bogans.

Secondly, Nash will be able to rest on defense with Bogans in the game. I'd prefer that he is forced to guard TP and hopefully that wears him down enough over the course of the game. The other point is that Hill will be forced to play one of Hill or Richardson on defense. George looked overmatched in the post against both of them. He's had success in the past against 2/3's so perhaps he can improve to an adequate level on Wednesday.

I highly doubt Pop will go without a starter off bench, so I don't think they'll have a starting lineup of TP, Manu, RJ.

rjv
05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
of course, it is still very possible hill starts again and parker still comes off the bench. pop may feel that hill is resilient enough to bounce back strongly.

mavsfan1000
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Mcdyess
Duncan. Make Nash guard Parker as much as possibly. You can't do that with Hill out there and Hill also struggles with Richardson.

ALVAREZ6
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM

parker
bogans
jefferson
duncan
dice

The video in your signature is sick :tu

TMTTRIO
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I think Tony needs to start. With Manu being ineffective and struggling with his shooting after breaking his nose I think it would be smart for Tony to start (how many times has he burned Nash) and Manu to go back to the bench. I really think Hill will be back tommorow and he seems to play well with Tony.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 06:59 PM
We need Manu to start because it gives him more opportunity for rest mid-game.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I dont believe manu will go to the bench now. But it's just a personal opinion. It could happen if Pop wants to bring parker in without hurting georgie's feelings. But it shouldn't matter though.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Here's a crazy idea, Spurs fans! How about we hope for the Spurs to do what every other team in the fucking league does and start their best player at each position? I know it's absolutely insane, but you really only need "firepower off the bench" because your starters get your team ten points in the hole to start the quarter. You play your subs in order of who might do well and then you distribute the minutes based on who's playing the best and on matchups. The game really isn't much more complicated than that. Georgie got torched? No problem, let's put Parker in the starting lineup and not create new problems by moving everyone around. Contrary to current belief by some folks, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili can play together.

TD 21
05-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Here's a crazy idea, Spurs fans! How about we hope for the Spurs to do what every other team in the fucking league does and start their best player at each position? I know it's absolutely insane, but you really only need "firepower off the bench" because your starters get your team ten points in the hole to start the quarter. You play your subs in order of who might do well and then you distribute the minutes based on who's playing the best and on matchups. The game really isn't much more complicated than that. Georgie got torched? No problem, let's put Parker in the starting lineup and not create new problems by moving everyone around. Contrary to current belief by some folks, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili can play together.

Excellent post. The entire year the Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson-McDyess-Duncan lineup has seemingly been avoided. No more should it be. They're the highest paid players on the team and comprise five of the six best players on the team, yet they can never simultaneously start and rarely play together? No other team does this.

I've even see the Lakers go occasionally to a Odom-Bryant-Artest-Gasol-Bynum lineup. You think they care about a lack of spacing with this group? No. Why? Because it's got so much talent and so many advantages that other teams have to contend with. The Spurs let the opposition off the hook by often adjusting to what they're doing and rarely playing their best players (at least positionally) at once.

8FOR!3
05-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Bring George Hill off the bench to guard Dragic. He's capable of keeping up with him. Richardson outsizes Hill and Hill has a hard time with him, Nash was a lot quicker the other night, but I don't think Hill would have too much trouble with Dragic.

Josepatches_
05-05-2010, 06:33 AM
That's funny. We lost one game and then everything is wrong and we have to change all.

We played very well last month.We defeated the Mavs too in 6 games.
There is no reason to change.

Hill
Manu
Jefferson
Dice
TD

Parker off the bench and that's pretty good.It works fine.Manu and Parker can play together but we are trying to be better 48 minutes and that's the best way.To have one of them always on the court

itsamanuthree
05-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, people easily panics. This is highly improbable, even more after a 27 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals game by manu, and essentially a good production from the big three where they are. Why to change that? Because Nash was on fire on game 1? The only thing pop needs to do is to make either manu or parker guard nash for most of the game and, very important, not put manu on the bench, or actually make any substitution, when the team on the floor has just had a run and there's no reasonable excuse or pause, like the end of a quarter. Ditto.

tdunk21
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
personally, I think the starting five should be:

Parker
Hill
Dice
Tim
Bogans

the 2nd unit of RJ, Manu, Blair, Bonner and player x should pound on Phx's 2nd unit.

+1

player x should be blair

flacura
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Changes has been normal this season for the staring lineup, so why not, the case that we are playing good does not mean than we can play even better, may be we need to play better to win Suns and the answers could be in some matchups.

In game 1 against Mavs everybody was talking about "how to stop Dirk", he was terrific in game 1, and adjustments arrive with a victory in game 2

We are just playing to be Pop for a while, making adjustments for game 2.

I personally prefer Manu as a starter but give Pop some credit :)

SpurCharger
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
That's funny. We lost one game and then everything is wrong and we have to change all.

We played very well last month.We defeated the Mavs too in 6 games.
There is no reason to change.

Hill
Manu
Jefferson
Dice
TD

Parker off the bench and that's pretty good.It works fine.Manu and Parker can play together but we are trying to be better 48 minutes and that's the best way.To have one of them always on the court

Agreed! We dont Need to change Anything..... Just Let Pop Make A Few adjustments..... Im Sure Hill, And Jefferson will not play that bad again..... We Will Be fine In Game 2 as Long A Bonner, and Mason Get Very Limited to No Minutes....

Obstructed_View
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
The key is to wear Nash out on defense. That didn't happen in game one. The Spurs took a lot of jump shots. You need someone that can defend Nash and can also break down the Suns' defense. You also want to take the crowd out of the game and jump on the Suns early. For that Parker is the better choice.

Sometimes doing something unconventional is just stupid. See the Spurs 2006 western conference playoffs.