PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 Refs?

sananspursfan21
05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm really not one to complain about foul calls, but did anybody else notice that phx got to play as rough as they wanted and rarely got the foul call? but then, the spurs return the favor and the whistle blew every time.

one stat that was kinda fishy. the spurs had 20 something free throws in the first half, and only had 8 attempts or so in the second half. i thought the offense was aggressive in the second half too. eh, maybe it was coincidence...

DesignatedT
05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
The second half was officiated a lot better last night. The officiating was fine. Although I am not a fan of the refs calling every ticky-tac foul like they did last night (even if that means we get more free throws) I would rather the refs let us play and be physical.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm really not one to complain about foul calls, but did anybody else notice that phx got to play as rough as they wanted and rarely got the foul call? but then, the spurs return the favor and the whistle blew every time.

one stat that was kinda fishy. the spurs had 20 something free throws in the first half, and only had 8 attempts or so in the second half. i thought the offense was aggressive in the second half too. eh, maybe it was coincidence...

Refs were about even. Spurs shot 31 free throws to our 29. There were a couple questionable calls on both sides that didn't get called. Much different than in the past.

SpursRulez4eVeR
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I would rather the refs let us play and be physical.

then the spurs would have taken advantage. Why would the refs allow that?! :rolleyes

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
then the spurs would have taken advantage. Why would the refs allow that?! :rolleyes

Um, have you seen the 2005 and 2007 playoffs? :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
FTA don't prove referee bias and I didn't see anything last night to suggest that the officials did anything other than just call the game. Did they miss some calls? Sure, though I think that went both ways. Was there some inconsistency? Of course, but that's what you get with human officials. Did the officials make a difference in the game last night? Absolutely not.

If the Spurs could have been bothered to play defense in the first quarter, they might have given themselves a chance to win -- or at least they could have made their second half runs more meaningful. That has nothing to do with the officiating.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
FTA don't prove referee bias and I didn't see anything last night to suggest that the officials did anything other than just call the game. Did they miss some calls? Sure, though I think that went both ways. Was there some inconsistency? Of course, but that's what you get with human officials. Did the officials make a difference in the game last night? Absolutely not.

If the Spurs could have been bothered to play defense in the first quarter, they might have given themselves a chance to win -- or at least they could have made their second half runs more meaningful. That has nothing to do with the officiating.

I didn't say that it proves bias, it just part of the story. The refs were not responsible for the outcome in this game.

BronxCowboy
05-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I didn't say that it proves bias, it just part of the story. The refs were not responsible for the outcome in this game.

I may be wrong, but I think he was actually responding to the OP.

cheguevara
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
they had a bunch of BS calls on Duncan and Hill. But that's not why we lost the game.

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2010, 02:53 PM

:tu

There's a tendency among those who wish to complain about officiating to use FTA as proof that there is or isn't bias in the way games are called. I'd submit that there's nothing about the game of basketball, at any level, that mandates that FTA be even and the fact that FTA may not be even is not proof of bias. It might readily prove that one team was more aggressive than the other, or that one team didn't move its feet defensively, or that one team chose to commit fouls rather than concede easy baskets, or that one team attacks the rim consistently (not just that it scores points in the paint) while the other settles for jump shots.

Trainwreck2100
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Refs sucked plain and simple, for both sides

da_suns_fan
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

The Spurs shot 22 free throws in the first half and your complaining that the Spurs didnt get the calls?

KuntryDude
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
really don't give a shit if we shot 122 free throws. what's the use of going to the foul line if we can't sink 'em.

da_suns_fan
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
really don't give a shit if we shot 122 free throws. what's the use of going to the foul line if we can't sink 'em.

The Spurs didnt exactly lose the game at the free throw line. Everyone hit theirs except Duncan.

Giuseppe
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
da is right. The worm has turned. You Spurs fellows will have to earn this. Ain't no cold blooded fuck like Horry to carry your water this time. No heartless Bowen to leave a hump where he found him. No whole-snouted Manu to assassinate the entire room upon Pop prompt.

Now, get the fuck up & act like somebody.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM

:tu

There's a tendency among those who wish to complain about officiating to use FTA as proof that there is or isn't bias in the way games are called. I'd submit that there's nothing about the game of basketball, at any level, that mandates that FTA be even and the fact that FTA may not be even is not proof of bias. It might readily prove that one team was more aggressive than the other, or that one team didn't move its feet defensively, or that one team chose to commit fouls rather than concede easy baskets, or that one team attacks the rim consistently (not just that it scores points in the paint) while the other settles for jump shots.

Fair enough. My bad.

Beaverfuzz
05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
The lack of traveling called (and then called) was laughable on both sides, but mostly Nash.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
The lack of traveling called (and then called) was laughable on both sides, but mostly Nash.

How so? Got an instance of it? I don't remember a single non travel call on Nash. I'd love to see a replay.....

If you knew me, (which you don't) you'd know that I call out travel out loud each time I see it, on both teams.

KuntryDude
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
da is right. The worm has turned. You Spurs fellows will have to earn this. Ain't no cold blooded fuck like Horry to carry your water this time. No heartless Bowen to leave a hump where he found him. No whole-snouted Manu to assassinate the entire room upon Pop prompt.

Now, get the fuck up & act like somebody.

Enjoy whipping up on the one-legged Jazz, then get ready to play real basketball rather it be SA or PHX. Not to mention, you still struggled w/ a beat-up Utah bunch.