PDA

View Full Version : 'Los Suns' jerseys set for Cinco de Mayo

sa_butta
05-04-2010, 02:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5162380

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=pho) will wear "Los Suns" on their jerseys Wednesday for Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals, owner Robert Sarver said, "to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona and our nation."
The decision to wear the jerseys on the Cinco de Mayo holiday stems from a law passed by the Arizona Legislature and signed by Gov. Jan Brewer that has drawn widespread criticism from Latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of Hispanics. President Barack Obama has called the law "misguided."

Dr. Gonzo
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
The irony is ironic.

Taco
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=pho) will wear "Los Suns" on their jerseys Wednesday for Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals, owner Robert Sarver said, "to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona and our nation."
The decision to wear the jerseys on the Cinco de Mayo holiday stems from a law passed by the Arizona Legislature and signed by Gov. Jan Brewer that has drawn widespread criticism from Latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of Hispanics. President Barack Obama has called the law "misguided."
:wakeup

sa_butta
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Nice try Phoenix, but this does not fix the bigger problem.
Maybe Mike Bacsik will wear a t-shirt that says "I love clean Mexicans".

cheguevara
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
wow. what's next, have mike ballslick in a mariachi hat as guest of honor?

coyotes_geek
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM

phoenix -- the phoenix suns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=pho) will wear "los suns" on their jerseys wednesday for game 2 of the western conference semifinals, owner robert sarver said, "to honor our latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of arizona and our nation."
the decision to wear the jerseys on the cinco de mayo holiday stems from a law passed by the arizona legislature and signed by gov. Jan brewer that has drawn widespread criticism from latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of hispanics. President barack obama has called the law "misguided."

it's a trap!

PDXSpursFan
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I really hope the Spurs don't follow by wearing "Los Spurs". Every time they do the pay like shit.

Taco
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
it's a trap!

:lol:lmao

boutons_deux
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I bet a lot of AZ's "Speak-English,-you-Dirty-Mexican" crowd will boycott the game. :)

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Man I found tickets right behind the Spurs bench for $370 bucks. The only problem is you have to buy two and all of my friends are either broke or Suns fans....

DarrinS
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
it's a trap!

:lmao

Giuseppe
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Holt should make a statement: pull the whole shebang outta Arizona tootsweet. Forfeit Game 2. Go ahead, big shot.

Please. He ain't got a hair on his air. All talk and a badge.

crc21209
05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I really hope the Spurs don't follow by wearing "Los Spurs". Every time they do the pay like shit.

Nah I think everytime a team wore them this season and in seaon's past it has been the home team that wears them, not both the home and road team. Hopefully they suck with those jerseys the way we suck with ours...:lol

TimmehC
05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
:lol:lmao

Yep. Arpaio's boys are gonna be all over the arena.

DMX7
05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
it's a trap!

Thank you, Admiral Ackbar.

Andy25
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/34342/1249214-what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_super.png

benefactor
05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
it's a trap!
lol...win.

crc21209
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
The Spurs WILL NOT be wearing their "Los Spurs" jerseys for those who were wondering:

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said his team was interested in taking part but couldn't get new "Los Spurs" road jerseys in time for the game.

"It's a wonderful idea," Popovich said. "because it kind of shows what we all should be about. Sure there needs to be a lot of work done, obviously. A lot of administrations have done nothing about the immigration deal and now everybody's paying the price, especially a lot of people in Arizona. That's a bad thing, but the reaction is important, too, and this reaction [the Arizona law], I believe with Mr. Sarver, is inappropriate."

duncan228
05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Suns using jerseys to send message (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sarver-100504)
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

The "Los Suns" jerseys the Phoenix Suns wear annually for the NBA's "Noche Latina" program just went from marketing gimmick to political statement.

And a playoff series with a narrative already worthy of the History Channel just added a subplot that would make for a rowdy segment on Fox News Channel.

In announcing the Suns would wear their Spanish jerseys for Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs -- which falls on the Mexican holiday known as Cinco de Mayo -- Suns owner Robert Sarver went out of his way to knock Arizona's controversial immigration enforcement law known as Senate Bill 1070.

Good for Sarver. The only time we're used to seeing pro sports team owners take a public stance on a political legislation is when there's a stadium funding bill on the ballot. But something's gotten into Sarver. During the Suns' 111-102 victory over the Spurs in Game 1 on Monday night he was on his feet, exhorting the crowd to make more noise. Now he's jumping into this divisive issue.

The bill was signed into law last month by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. It makes it a misdemeanor for immigrants to be in Arizona without proper documents and allows police officers to request proof of status if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the country illegally.

We need to crack down on the illegal immigration problem, which is why many welcome the tougher legislation. It is the potential racial profiling and abuse of the reasonable-suspicion clause that make this law suspect. It's not too hard to guess who will be asked to provide their papers (Hint: They're more likely to look like Leandro Barbosa than Steve Nash). If Americans are regularly stopped and asked to prove they're American, then America feels less like America.

In a press release from the team, Sarver said, "Our players and organization felt that wearing our 'Los Suns' jerseys on Cinco de Mayo was a way for our team and our organization to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the State of Arizona, and our nation ... "

The next paragraph was when he teed off on the politicians.

"The frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law. However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

Businesses and unions have already announced they will boycott travel to Arizona. The University of Arizona says it has already received notices from out-of-state students that they won't be attending school there in the fall because of the law. There are calls for Major League Baseball to move the 2011 All-Star Game from Arizona, as the NFL once did with the Super Bowl after the state refused to honor the Martin Luther King holiday.

On Sunday The Arizona Republic ran a rare front-page editorial that bashed both Democrats and Republicans, saying "Arizona politicians are pandering to public fear. The result is a state law that intimidates Latinos while doing nothing to curb illegal immigration."

The backlash against the law has already led to change. On Friday, Gov. Brewer approved modifications that would prohibit police from using race or ethnicity as the sole base for questioning people about their status. But there are also changes that could lead to increased questioning when police investigate violations of local civil laws.

The best way to get attention is by waving or withholding dollar bills. Sarver doesn't have that option. The NBA can't use its All-Star Game as leverage because Phoenix just hosted the weekend event last year and wouldn't be due to come up in the rotation for a while.

Holding the Suns' home playoff games in another state would hurt Sarver and the team more than any politician. (Such a dramatic venue switch wouldn't be unprecedented; the Lakers moved a home playoff game against the Trail Blazers to Las Vegas when Los Angeles was engulfed in the post-Rodney King verdict riots in 1992). Besides, if Amare Stoudemire is going to keep playing the way he did in Game 1 (23 points and a big 13 rebounds), the Suns are going to need every ticket and bucket of popcorn sold in their home arena to re-sign him.

Asking for a player sit-out to prove a point would be unfair. They've worked too hard to get here and could finally get the franchise past a Spurs team that has ended four of the past five Phoenix playoff runs. The Suns have been victimized by an untimely bloody nose on Nash, a suspension because Stoudemire walked 15 feet down the sideline and the shot of Tim Duncan's career. It would be cruel and unusual for them to go down this time because of a piece of legislation.

So it's best to go with this small gesture that speaks volumes. The "Los Suns" jerseys are part of a leaguewide effort to reach out to Latino fans every year. The Lakers, Spurs and Heat also wear Spanish-tweaked jerseys during the Noches Latinas. I always wondered why they didn't go all-Spanish (the Suns should be "Los Soles," for example), but it's a start. At least the league is recognizing a sizable and important part of its fan base. They could have let the uniforms speak for themselves, but Sarver decided to put the message out there and remove all doubt.

It could make him more enemies than win him fans. One poll showed that 70 percent of respondents favored the bill. He could face backlash from sports fans who might have hoped the games could provide a nice break from the issue. When Jared Dudley asked his Twitter followers what it would mean to Phoenix if the Suns beat the Spurs, one hoped it could "unite the city in light of what is going on with the government immigration issues."

Instead, three letters added to the home team's jerseys will serve as a reminder that there's more than just a playoff series being contested in Arizona right now. Sometimes we all need to be aware of the bigger picture and not just get lost in the games. Thanks to Sarver, the rivalry that once gave us the Robert Horry-on-Nash hip check just provided us a reality check.

Dex
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Expect a Los Spurs sighting. :bang

crc21209
05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Expect a Los Spurs sighting. :bang

The Spurs WILL NOT be wearing their "Los Spurs" jerseys for those who were wondering:

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said his team was interested in taking part but couldn't get new "Los Spurs" road jerseys in time for the game.

"It's a wonderful idea," Popovich said. "because it kind of shows what we all should be about. Sure there needs to be a lot of work done, obviously. A lot of administrations have done nothing about the immigration deal and now everybody's paying the price, especially a lot of people in Arizona. That's a bad thing, but the reaction is important, too, and this reaction [the Arizona law], I believe with Mr. Sarver, is inappropriate."

Dex
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised they didn't have Los road jerseys already.

Cane
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Thats just great.

So not only do the Suns have the huge lopsided rivalry to settle with us; but now they're trying to make a huge political statement against their racist politicians and voters.

Thats a hell of a lot of motivation :) Too much if you're the opposing team.

crc21209
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised they didn't have Los road jerseys already.

Ever since they started wearing those jerseys, they only had white ones made. Even when they used them on the road, they would wear the white ones and the home team wore their "road" or colored jersey's.

Dex
05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Ever since they started wearing those jerseys, they only had white ones made. Even when they used them on the road, they would wear the white ones and the home team wore their "road" or colored jersey's.

That's right. I guess I just never noticed the trend. It always did seem weird to be wearing the home jerseys in another building though.

FromWayDowntown
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Pop agreeing with "Chicken" Sarver.

crc21209
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
That's right. I guess I just never noticed the trend. It always did seem weird to be wearing the home jerseys in another building though.

Yup, it just never looked right to see the Spurs on the road wearing white jerseys :td. That and the fact that we straight up suck with those jerseys...

michaelwcho
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I bet a lot of AZ's "Speak-English,-you-Dirty-Mexican" crowd will boycott the game. :)

I was listening to some Phoenix sports radio, and one of the shows took call after call about the issue. The ones they let through featured people who were basically frothing at the mouth, threatening to boycott and barely able to restrain themselves from cursing out Sarver on-air (yes, they happened to be white males, as were the pro-law hosts of tho program.)

One caller, however, was the son of naturalized Argentinians, and pointed out that his parents could be detained by a police officer if they didn't happen to be carrying their full papers. The talk show host couldn't believe that a police officer would do that to Latino-looking people.

ManuTastic
05-04-2010, 06:30 PM
What a great statement it would be if Manu, Barbosa, and all the other Latino players on the two teams would play with their papers stapled to the backs of their jerseys, "just in case." Hell, make it all the players, because that's the point, right? How do you know what might make a cop "suspicious" of your immigration status?

elbamba
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM
And the line of the day goes to Amare:

"It's going to be great to wear Los Suns," Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire said, "to let the Latin community know that we're behind them 100 percent."

Meus nomen est Amare quod EGO sum an idiot

longhorn
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM
And the line of the day goes to Amare:

"It's going to be great to wear Los Suns," Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire said, "to let the Latin community know that we're behind them 100 percent."

Meus nomen est Amare quod EGO sum an idiot

Meus cogito.

Amare doesn't.

Budkin
05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Awesome, I just gained a bunch of respect for the Suns organization. Props to Steve Kerr and Steve Nash. I'll bet a lot of the fans are not happy though, racist motherfuckers.

Crookshanks
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
What a stupid thing to do - just shut up and play basketball. These guys are paid to play a game, not make political statements - they should just shut the hell up, especially since they don't know what they're talking about. The law is fine - it's the illegals that have the problem.

alchemist
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
This is a big move on Sarver's part, he's pretty much in David Duke country and it could easily backfire on him.

lefty
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Lol Suns jerseys ?

Shastafarian
05-04-2010, 09:34 PM

What a stupid thing to do - just shut up and play basketball. These guys are paid to play a game, not make political statements - they should just shut the hell up, especially since they don't know what they're talking about. The law is fine - it's the illegals that have the problem.

baseline bum
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Who are you to tell Sarver what to do with his own team? Who are you to tell people not to express their views?

Crookshanks
05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Who are you to tell Sarver what to do with his own team? Who are you to tell people not to express their views?

They act like wearing some stupid jersey is going to make a difference. 70% of the people in Arizona support this law - so maybe the Suns shouldn't be so quick to condemn it - it'd sure be a shame to see their arena half empty tomorrow. :lmao

Illegals hurt everyone - they are a drain on the economy and crime is rampant in Arizona. But I guess those rich guys like Steve Nash don't have a clue - especially since he's a Canadian.

Shastafarian
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
They act like wearing some stupid jersey is going to make a difference. 70% of the people in Arizona support this law - so maybe the Suns shouldn't be so quick to condemn it - it'd sure be a shame to see their arena half empty tomorrow. :lmao

Illegals hurt everyone - they are a drain on the economy and crime is rampant in Arizona. But I guess those rich guys like Steve Nash don't have a clue - especially since he's a Canadian.

I know right. Making a statement is so useless if it's not gonna work.

baseline bum
05-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Who do you think you are to tell people not to express their own views?

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree. I hate mixing politics with sports. It takes the fun out of the game.

Sarver has every right to do this, but is it really a smart decision? He's alienating a portion of his fan base.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
FYI, for those who would like to read the actual bill so you don't have to rely on biased, slanted interpretations...

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
What a great statement it would be if Manu, Barbosa, and all the other Latino players on the two teams would play with their papers stapled to the backs of their jerseys, "just in case." Hell, make it all the players, because that's the point, right? How do you know what might make a cop "suspicious" of your immigration status?
Uh, they have to take their papers, green card, ect. with them, anyways. They're required by law, as I understand it. They're not US citizens.

Hell, Mexico cracks down on illegals hard with a penalty of two years in prison if caught and a felony caught. We're pretty lenient here in the US and we don't even enforce our laws, anyways.

baseline bum
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I agree. I hate mixing politics with sports. It takes the fun out of the game.

Sarver has every right to do this, but is it really a smart decision? He's alienating a portion of his fan base.

I don't understand how the hardcore right-wingers expect every single person in entertainment to either share their view or shut the fuck up. It's ignorant as hell to hold the political leanings of an actor or an athlete against him, but I never hear an end to the bitching about how it's not their place to talk when they disagree.

I never saw a single one of the right-wingers here say a word of complaint when David Robinson started talking about how we should all support the Iraq war or leave the country.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
This is the part of the law that is a bit fishy to me. This seems to imply that they can actually detain a person if there is only probable cause. I don't mind them going back and checking your papers behind the scenes to check if you're legal or not (which wouldn't actually affect you), but I don't really like actually being able to detain that person.

37 E. A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON
38 IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED
39 ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't understand how the hardcore right-wingers expect every single person in entertainment to either share their view or shut the fuck up. It's ignorant as hell to hold the political leanings of an actor or an athlete against him, but I never hear an end to the bitching about how it's not their place to talk when they disagree.

I never saw a single one of the right-wingers here say a word of complaint when David Robinson started talking about how we should all support the Iraq war.
Basically, sports is one of the only places that people can go to get away from the hassles of politics that have infiltrated every other part of our country. Sports are away for us to escape from it. Thus, I'd rather not have athletes making their political views public. That said, it's their right to and there's nothing I can or should be able to do to stop it. It's just my opinion.

TimmehC
05-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Lol Suns jerseys ?

needs to be 'chopped, pronto.

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Why don't they just go all out and make it "Los Soles"?

PeterBurns
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Basically, sports is one of the only places that people can go to get away from the hassles of politics that have infiltrated every other part of our country. Sports are away for us to escape from it. Thus, I'd rather not have athletes making their political views public. That said, it's their right to and there's nothing I can or should be able to do to stop it. It's just my opinion.

Very good point. Sports is a vacation from all the other worries

da_suns_fan
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Excuse my cynicism, but I cant help but think this is a silly ploy to sell "Los Suns" jerseys on Cinco De Mayo.

elbamba
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM

I never saw a single one of the right-wingers here say a word of complaint when David Robinson started talking about how we should all support the Iraq war or leave the country.

I thought Robinson said to support the troops. I did not know he said support the Iraq war. I know he said that nash and a couple of the Mavs were ignorant or something to that effect.

michaelwcho
05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
This is the part of the law that is a bit fishy to me. This seems to imply that they can actually detain a person if there is only probable cause. I don't mind them going back and checking your papers behind the scenes to check if you're legal or not (which wouldn't actually affect you), but I don't really like actually being able to detain that person.

The devil is always in the details. The law means any police officer can detain anyone who isn't carrying a passport or other proof of US citizenship. In Germany (yes, I'm going there), a similar formula was followed: pick on the lowest of the low, and move up the scale until only the favored classes were safe. Of course, minorities lose the most here, but even blond, blue-eyed folk are losing their civil liberties here.

tsb2000
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Why don't they just go all out and make it "Los Soles"?

Same reason the Spurs aren't "Las Espuelas." "Suns" is a proper name, so no translation is required. Same for "El Heat."

I live in AZ, and the bill that has everyone up in arms only makes breaking the federal law a state crime as well, and gives state (& county & city) law enforcement the power to enforce the law. The passage of the law didn't change one thing here except for LE to be able to skip the step of calling ICE if there are 20 guys in the back of a u-haul 5 minutes north of the border.

Is it a good law? Not really, for a lot of reasons. We've got a governor here who was an appointee since our former gov is now the Sec of Homeland Security. There's a lot of politics in play here, and sadly, there are a lot of people here caught in the middle of it. AZ didn't pass the law to have it on the books as it stands, IMO, but rather to press the issue on the federal immigration problem. I think the backlash was a calculated risk. Either the feds send the border states some cash and people to help with the problem while ignoring it, or they solve the problem with a comprehensive solution. Just my .02. Yours may differ. :)

superjames1992
05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
The devil is always in the details. The law means any police officer can detain anyone who isn't carrying a passport or other proof of US citizenship. In Germany (yes, I'm going there), a similar formula was followed: pick on the lowest of the low, and move up the scale until only the favored classes were safe. Of course, minorities lose the most here, but even blond, blue-eyed folk are losing their civil liberties here.

There's actually a lot of white illegals from places in Eastern Europe and such, although I doubt many reside in Arizona.

I support the general premise of the law because we need to do something about the millions of illegals that come into this country every year, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go about doing it.

I think this law is more symbolic than anything, though. I'm not sure if it will ever be enforced.

Budkin
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
The problem is that you can't just give cops carte blanch to stop and search anyone they want because they "look like an illegal." We all know how that's going to go down.

duncan228
05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Phoenix to wear Los Suns jerseys, bringing politics to court (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/04/los.sons/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)
By Art Garcia, NBA.com

The basketball court is rarely, if ever, the site of a political statement, much less during an NBA playoff game. Politics are going to be center court Wednesday night.

The Suns are taking aim at Arizona's controversial new immigration law during the Western Conference semifinals. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver is outfitting his team in "Los Suns" uniforms for Game 2 against San Antonio. The game also happens to fall on Cinco de Mayo, a traditional holiday celebrating Mexican heritage and culture.

Sarver is also using the high-profile platform to voice the organization's frustration with the nation's toughest law on immigration. The act, signed into law in late April, is designed to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants.

"We think it's appropriate what the Suns are doing," NBA commisioner David Stern told NBA.com.

Critics contend that the Arizona act will lead to racial profiling. A number of boycotts and protests in Arizona are in the works.

"Our players and organization felt that wearing our 'Los Suns' jerseys on Cinco de Mayo was a way for our team and our organization to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the State of Arizona, and our nation," Sarver said in a statement released by the team. "We are proud that 400 players from 36 countries compete in the NBA, and the league and the Suns have always considered that to be a great strength of the NBA.

"The frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law. However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill afford them."

Phoenix players backed Sarver's decision to wear the alternate jerseys. So did the Spurs organization. The NBA signed also signed off on the Suns' move.

The NBA Players Association released a statement criticizing the law and praising the Suns for the move.

"The recent passage of the new immigration law in Arizona is disappointing and disturbing," said Billy Hunter, executive director of the NBAPA. "The National Basketball Players Association strongly supports the repeal or immediate modification of this legislation. Any attempt to encourage, tolerate or legalize racial profiling is offensive and incompatible with basic notions of fairness and equal protection. A law that unfairly targets one group is ultimately a threat to all.

"We applaud the actions of Phoenix Suns players and management and join them in taking a stand against the misguided efforts of Arizona lawmakers. We are consulting with our members and our player leadership to determine the most effective way for our union to continue to voice our opposition to this legislation."

The Suns and Spurs are among several teams that wore "Los" jerseys during the league's Noche Latina initiative during March.

The meaning Wednesday goes much deeper.

"We're all proud to wear our Los Suns uniforms tomorrow night for Cinco de Mayo," Suns guard Steve Nash said. "Obviously the passing of the recent bill and what that means to our state, to civil liberties, and the quality and precedent it's setting, and message it sends to our youngsters in the community, we have a problem with that. It's great that our owner took the initiative and our players are behind him."

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich would have gone with the "Los Spurs" jerseys if possible. The team only has one set of that uniform back in San Antonio, having sent the second back to the NBA. (Teams need two sets of uniforms for a game.) Popovich added that the Spurs had talked about addressing the immigration topic with Phoenix later in the series.

"It's a great idea," Popovich said. "I think that came from Mr. Sarver and it's a wonderful idea because it kind of shows what we all should be about. Sure there needs to be a lot of work done, obviously. A lot of administrations have done nothing about the immigration deal and now everybody is paying the price, especially a lot of people in Arizona.

"That's a bad thing, but the reaction is important, too. And this reaction, I agree with Mr. Sarver, is inappropriate. It's kind of like 9-11 comes and all of a sudden there's a Patriot Act, just a kneejerk sort of thing that changes our country and what we stand for. This law snaps of that to some degree, so I think what he's doing tomorrow night is very wise and very correct."

The Suns aren't the only one making a political statement Wednesday. Civil rights activist Al Sharpton is leading a protest march from the Pilgrim Rest Church in downtown Phoenix to the Arizona Capital building. The march will pass US Airways Arena. The choir from Pilgrim Rest sang the National Anthem on Monday night before Game 1, which Phoenix won.

Other states, including Texas, are studying the Arizona law and considering drafting their own versions.

"I hope they change [the law] back to what it was and give the workers the possibility to be legal and pay taxes as everyone else," Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said.

ClingingMars
05-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Glad we're not wearing Los Spurs. Not only do they look like shit, but we play like shit too while wearing them.

ClingingMars
05-05-2010, 01:00 AM

a fucking men. I'm gonna be a Poly Sci major, so sports are going to be my getaway from it all, not a constant reminder of it.

Giuseppe
05-05-2010, 01:02 AM
The problem is that you can't just give cops carte blanch to stop and search anyone they want because they "look like an illegal." We all know how that's going to go down.

Horseshit. There are provisions in the law that preclude law enforcement from profiling.

These people have broken and entered this country. They've been stealing ever since. They are criminals.

Go back to their own country and get in line just like everybody else that immigrates legally.

carina_gino20
05-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Glad we're not wearing Los Spurs. Not only do they look like shit, but we play like shit too while wearing them.

Pop already talked about doing it sometime in the series, maybe when they got home since they have the white Los Spurs jerseys. :lol

But please, God, no. They always lose when they wear Los Spurs jerseys.

tuncaboylu
05-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Let's make them "Lost Suns"...

rascal
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM

It is a problem giving the police more power to detain people. Lots of SOB in the police force.

rascal
05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Gimmick jerseys leads to gimmick play. Bad move by the Suns.

Los Suns will lead to Los Loss.

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Gimmick jerseys leads to gimmick play. Bad move by the Suns.

Los Suns will lead to Los Loss.

Clever.......

da_suns_fan
05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Just the type of distraction the Suns dont need right now.

People say the Suns are cursed but they bring it on themselves.

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't take Pop's quote for much. The fact of the matter is that if he came out against the law, the media would eat him up, which is a shame, but it is what it is. Fact is, unless Pop wants to cause distractions and controversy, he said what he should have said if he wants the Spurs to keep winning ball games.

Spur_Fanatic
05-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Horseshit. There are provisions in the law that preclude law enforcement from profiling.

These people have broken and entered this country. They've been stealing ever since. They are criminals.

Go back to their own country and get in line just like everybody else that immigrates legally.

I prefer illegals that do work, that white/black trash that doesn't work and costs more to mantain to the rest of us. But in all honesty, I've not been in the US for a few years now, due to work.

I once saw a study which showed, that it would be make much more sense to get rid of the useless unemployed people (of all races) than illegals, on the basis no americans were going to accept the jobs the illegals were taking...

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I prefer illegals that work, that white/black trash that doesn't work and costs more to mantain to the rest of us.

Double edged sword for me personally. Illegals that work either lied about their status to pay taxes in the first place, or they are working under the table and sending a lot of that money back to Mexico to help support their families there.

That said, I still use suspected illegals for yard work and the like.

Spur_Fanatic
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Had you hired americans you probably would have had to payed how many times more?
8 or 10 times more? And of course, all the pluses, and may God forbid someone trips on your yard while working. :D

Geezerballer
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Do you think they’d be OK w/ me sneaking into the arena & taking someone else’s seat. If somebody asks to see my ticket (papers!) I’ll just call them RACIST!

Spur_Fanatic
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
As for them sending their money back home... Well, I agree there. That I don't like. I would much prefer them for them to try to stay in the US for good, with their families. Get the green card, and live well.

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Had you hired americans you probably would have had to payed how many times more?
8 or 10 times more? And of course, all the pluses, and may God forbid someone trips on your yard while working. :D

Not any more. It seems as if even illegals are pricing themselves out of the market. To cut and edge my yard (averaged sized) they want $180. BS.

Spur_Fanatic
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
That's not too bad (in fact, it's pretty good depending on the yard, and the quality they work with). But yeah, above what I expected. Guess a few things did changed, lol. Anyway, let's not go political on this thread.

easy7
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Los Racistas. :hat

Crookshanks
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Do you think they’d be OK w/ me sneaking into the arena & taking someone else’s seat. If somebody asks to see my ticket (papers!) I’ll just call them RACIST!

That's a good analogy. What if I really, really want to see the game, but can't afford a ticket. Why can't I just sneak in? I'll even take the seat nobody else wants!

sammy
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Awesome, I just gained a bunch of respect for the Suns organization. Props to Steve Kerr and Steve Nash. I'll bet a lot of the fans are not happy though, racist motherfuckers.

I agree! Props to the Suns Organization!:toast

TheChillFactor
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
all i know is "Los Spurs" better defend "El Point Guard" better tonight and hit some more of "Los 3 pointers" if we want to win...

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM

The beauty of this type of decision is that this is unlikely to upset a lot of people. It obviously panders to the Latino community which is what these jerseys are supposed to do anyway. It's genius actually. Now the Suns will probably not feel the 'boycott AZ everything' because they did this.

I actually disagree with them using the jerseys to make a political statement, but not really angry with it either. I have the sneaking suspicion that the Suns would have warn them anyway, and now they get the added publicity of having great timing. It will make a lot more people happy than upset.

Crookshanks
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
The beauty of this type of decision is that this is unlikely to upset a lot of people. It obviously panders to the Latino community which is what these jerseys are supposed to do anyway. It's genius actually. Now the Suns will probably not feel the 'boycott AZ everything' because they did this.

I actually disagree with them using the jerseys to make a political statement, but not really angry with it either. I have the sneaking suspicion that the Suns would have warn them anyway, and now they get the added publicity of having great timing. It will make a lot more people happy than upset.

70% of the people in Arizona support the law - don't know how many of them are Suns fans. But still, I don't think this is going to be a "slam dunk". :lol

baseline bum
05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't take Pop's quote for much. The fact of the matter is that if he came out against the law, the media would eat him up, which is a shame, but it is what it is. Fact is, unless Pop wants to cause distractions and controversy, he said what he should have said if he wants the Spurs to keep winning ball games.

I doubt it. Health care was way more controversial, and Pop told the media he thought the bill was stupid without a public option.

da_suns_fan
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I doubt it. Health care was way more controversial, and Pop told the media he thought the bill was stupid without a public option.

He's right.

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
70% of the people in Arizona support the law - don't know how many of them are Suns fans. But still, I don't think this is going to be a "slam dunk". :lol

I do. No one, NO ONE that is a Suns fan, knowing this rivalry, is going to miss this game because of a jersey that they have already worn a few times this year and for the past few years. This series means way too much to Suns fans for there to be a boycott.

I am one of those 70%ers btw.

MannyIsGod
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM

LOL Drain on the economy. Are you still unemployed?

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd think a similar percentage of Texans would support a similar law. Maybe not as high, I don't know for sure.

So Pop is a liberal? I always was under the impression that he would be conservative being in the Air Force Academy and all, but I guess I was wrong.

FIRE POP!!!

Just kidding! ;) :)

MannyIsGod
05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Pop is an educated man, of course he's not a conservative.

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Ah, the 'ole Saul Alinsky tactic of attacking your opponent. When you can't beat them on principle, just attack their reputation! :nope

TJastal
05-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I think the suns would better honor the hispanic community by letting the spurs win the next 4 games. :D

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I think the suns would better honor the hispanic community by letting the spurs win the next 4 games. :D

:nope

LoneStarState'sPride
05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
You'd be surprised at how liberal the AF Academy grads can be. I'm call myself conservative, but incidentally, I agree with Pop on this one. It's all about the issue at hand, and I believe Pop's political leanings are more complex than simple red vs. blue, just like most people.

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Actually, I saw that Pop donated money to John Edward's presidential campaign back in 2004. That guy used to be the Senator here in North Carolina and was an obvious douchebag (and then he decided to have a little affair on the side...).

Ah well, I don't really care. I just found it interesting.

lefty
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Pffft

Lakers are not impressed

Los Angeles

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds good to me. :toast

You'd be surprised at how liberal the AF Academy grads can be. I'm call myself conservative, but incidentally, I agree with Pop on this one. It's all about the issue at hand, and I believe Pop's political leanings are more complex than simple red vs. blue, just like most people.
I don't necessarily support this law, either, and I'm pretty far to the right. Like I've said before, I like the principle behind it but the right to detain doesn't seem right.

Of course, I also no longer support the Iraq War (what's the point of being over there now besides wasting money?) and several other supposedly conservative ideas. But, as far as economics and such, I'm very conservative.

baseline bum
05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
So Pop is a liberal? I always was under the impression that he would be conservative being in the Air Force Academy and all, but I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, he was a contributor to John Edwards' campaign.

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/Gregg_Popovich.php

ducks
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
if you shot them that are crossing at night
you know they are not coming over legal
it would take care of the problem

for those against the law
what is the solution? when they have their kids in usa and their parents are not legal do not make them usa citizen? they are 460k illegals in az
what is the solution make them all legal? and pay taxes so the president can waste more money

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, he was a contributor to John Edwards' campaign.

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/Gregg_Popovich.php

Good thing Pop is better at coaching basketball than donating money to winning candidates. That site says that he is 0-2 in that regard. :downspin:

MannyIsGod
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Ah, the 'ole Saul Alinsky tactic of attacking your opponent. When you can't beat them on principle, just attack their reputation! :nope

Or maybe just a joke?

:lol

phxspurfan
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
What an inspiring thing to do. I'm impressed, and no longer 100% embarassed to have lived in AZ.

Trainwreck2100
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I'd think a similar percentage of Texans would support a similar law. Maybe not as high, I don't know for sure.

FIRE POP!!!

Just kidding! ;) :)

not necessarily, pop was acknowleging it's not really reform without p/o

duncan228
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Phil Jackson Does Not Support the Suns’ Stand on Immigration Law (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-philjacksondoesnotsu)
SportingNews

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153366

Geezerballer
05-05-2010, 04:03 PM

I think they should play 5 Mexicans the whole game if they're really serious about it.

CGD
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
There is something fundamentally un-American about requiring a select group of the country's (legal!) citizens to be subject to unequal treatment under the law. Why should I, a U.S. citizen of Mexican ancestry, suffer different treatment under the law than any other U.S. citizen? What level of "illegal" appearance rises to the level of "reasonable suspicion"? And how does making that determination not play into people's subjective (and occasionally ignorant) biases?

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
There is something fundamentally un-American about requiring a select group of the country's (legal!) citizens to be subject to unequal treatment under the law. Why should I, a U.S. citizen of Mexican ancestry, suffer different treatment under the law than any other U.S. citizen? What level of "illegal" appearance rises to the level of "reasonable suspicion"? And how does making that determination not play into people's subjective (and occasionally ignorant) biases?
Well, one great thing about America is that we're a federation of states, so if you don't like it, then move out of Arizona! Problem solved! :toast

CGD
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not from Arizona.

America is amazing for many reasons beyond her federalism, and she's at her best when she adheres to and reaffirms the fundamental principles that make her so amazing. I think that's what Pop comment was all about.

duncan228
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Twitter.

Amare Stoudemire: We support the Latin commuity. They are apart of the 12 tribes of Israel. It 1 Nation under YAH (god). Let’s come together. Shalom !! 1love

duncan228
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Obama gives shout out to ‘Los Suns’ of Phoenix (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txobamalossuns)

President Barack Obama has given a shout-out to NBA’s Phoenix Suns, who are wearing jerseys that say “Los Suns” to honor the Latino community, diversity and the state of Arizona.

Obama made the remarks at the beginning of a Cinco de Mayo celebration in the Rose Garden.

The president said: “I know that a lot of you would rather be watching tonight’s game - the Spurs against ‘Los Suns’ from Phoenix.”

The line drew applause from the crowd.

Arizona adopted a hard-line immigration law that cracks down on illegal immigrants. Civil rights groups say it could lead to racial profiling. Obama has called it “misguided.”

Sisk
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

:rolleyes

Crookshanks
05-05-2010, 06:14 PM

You're not subject to unequal treatment. Let's say you get pulled over for speeding - you show your driver's license and that's it. You can't get hassled just because you look hispanic - the law strictly FORBIDS racial profiling - why can't people understand that?

It seems a lot of people are getting all bent out of shape about something they THINK MIGHT happen - how about waiting to see how the law gets implemented and see if there are any abuses BEFORE you go screaming racism?

Crookshanks
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Obama gives shout out to ‘Los Suns’ of Phoenix (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txobamalossuns)

President Barack Obama has given a shout-out to NBA’s Phoenix Suns, who are wearing jerseys that say “Los Suns” to honor the Latino community, diversity and the state of Arizona.

Obama made the remarks at the beginning of a Cinco de Mayo celebration in the Rose Garden.

The president said: “I know that a lot of you would rather be watching tonight’s game - the Spurs against ‘Los Suns’ from Phoenix.”

Arizona adopted a hard-line immigration law that cracks down on illegal immigrants. Civil rights groups say it could lead to racial profiling. Obama has called it “misguided.”

Uh-oh... Los Suns are in trouble now - Barry has yet to back a winning team! :lmao

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Good to hear. His backing of the Democrat in the Massachusetts Senate Race didn't go well, so I hope he's wrong again! :hat

EmptyMan
05-05-2010, 06:39 PM

lol @ thinking political affiliation has anything to do with education.

GSH
05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Phil Jackson Does Not Support the Suns’ Stand on Immigration Law (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-philjacksondoesnotsu)
SportingNews

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153366

Even if I was in 100% agreement with Sarver's position, I would disagree with him using the game to make a political statement. Phil Jackson was dead on with his comment:

“I don’t think teams should get involved in the political stuff.... Where we stand as basketball teams, we should let that kind of play out and let the political end of that go where it’s going to go.”

Actors and musicians have access to a large microphone, because of their celebrity status. When they decide to use it to become politicians, then I have to treat them like any other politician - vote for them, or vote against them. The only way I have of voting for those people is with my financial support. And I damned sure withhold that from politicians I don't agree with.

If Sarver had lined up on the other side of this, and made some comment about supporting the new law in Arizona, there would be calls for boycotts from the same people applauding him now. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Jackson agrees with Sarver in principle. But at least he is smart enough to know that they are just a bunch of guys who put a ball through a ring.

This is no different than Barkley using his microphone to rail on the head of Augusta National for commenting about Tiger Woods. (Barkley said he was acting all "Uncle Tom"... idiot.) I don't turn the show on any more - screw him. If Charles Barkley wants to be a politician, he needs to run for office and pay for commercials, just like every other politician.

I was always told not to bitch about a problem unless I was proposing a solution. If Sarver thinks this law is "misguided", then maybe he has a solution for the 2,000 illegal entries into the country every single day, 365 days a year, for the last 15 years. He's insulated from the problems that it brings, just like the Hollywood celebs (and Pop), by a hell of a lot of money. But our immigration laws, and our sovereignty over our own border, aren't invalidated by the fact that most of the people breaking the law happen to speak Spanish. If enforcing the law is illegal, then get rid of the law AND the border.

Biernutz
05-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Good to hear. His backing of the Democrat in the Massachusetts Senate Race didn't go well, so I hope he's wrong again! :hat
He also backed two Democrat governor races and they both lost. Will he stop all government aid to San Antonio if we beat his favorite political basketball team "Los Suns"

rascal
05-05-2010, 07:44 PM

The Northeast is the highest educated area of the country and liberal.

duncan228
05-05-2010, 07:44 PM
PHOENIX - MAY 05: Taylor Griffin #32 of the Phoenix Suns warms up before Game Two of the Western Conference Semifinals of the 2010 NBA Playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs at US Airways Center on May 5, 2010 in Phoenix, Arizona. The team is wearing "Los Suns" jerseys on Cinco de Mayo in response to an anti-immigration law recently passed in Arizona.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/87/fullj.da42be0f31a571f703c5fd81d77913f9/da42be0f31a571f703c5fd81d77913f9-getty-98492833cp002_san_antonio_s.jpg

CGD
05-06-2010, 01:31 AM
You're not subject to unequal treatment. Let's say you get pulled over for speeding - you show your driver's license and that's it. You can't get hassled just because you look hispanic - the law strictly FORBIDS racial profiling - why can't people understand that?

It seems a lot of people are getting all bent out of shape about something they THINK MIGHT happen - how about waiting to see how the law gets implemented and see if there are any abuses BEFORE you go screaming racism?

Oh OK the law "strictly" forbids racial profiling. That's awesome! How then is a police officer (if he pulls me over) supposed to make the judgement about whether I look "illegal" or not?

Not to mention a driver's license is NOT dispositive of U.S. citizenship. As a result U.S. born latinos, unlike other U.S. citizens, would be required to carry proof of their U.S. citizenship because of the fear that they may look "illegal". What an administrative and political nightmare! There is a reason why the Phoenix City police department has come out AGAINST this legislation.

Your speeding example is erroneous and not analogous at all, and your "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality is equally alarming. Before posting, I encourage you to read the AZ legislation carefully, and maybe bone up on some U.S. constitutional law.