PDA

View Full Version : Free Mahinmi???

nkdlunch
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
if Louis fucking Admunson and Derron motherfucking Collins are on the floor, why can't Ian?????

Ian could be Pop's card under the sleeve!!!

EricB
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Because his bball iq rivals a goat?

nkdlunch
05-04-2010, 04:38 PM

still I refuse to beleive Admunson and Collins can bring more to the table than Ian :bang

objective
05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
He could have been a Robin Lopez type, but that would have meant less time during the regular season for Manu at PF and Matt Bonner spreading the floor.

Dro210
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd give a years salary to see Ian play Bonner's minutes.

No, I don't think Ian is some kind of All-Star... but Bonner might as well be playing for the other team. Seriously, you're crazy if you think otherwise. The guy is HORRID.

It's obvious this team is still playing it's best basketball when our defense is leading the way. There's absolutely no need for Bonner, and it's not like he's been providing any offense anyway.

in2deep
05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd give a years salary to see Ian play Bonner's minutes.

No, I don't think Ian is some kind of All-Star... but Bonner might as well be playing for the other team. Seriously, you're crazy if you think otherwise. The guy is HORRID.

It's obvious this team is still playing it's best basketball when our defense is leading the way. There's absolutely no need for Bonner, and it's not like he's been providing any offense anyway.

but... but... Bonner spaces the floor

fusionjazzman72
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
:lol

05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
mahinmi commits four fouls before he even reaches the scorer table.

underdawg
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM

so what - boner gives up 4 shots before he reaches the floor

underdawg
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM

how do you know that - what makes you an expert fatty?

The Truth #6
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Bonner's BBIQ is bad. It took him two years to get the mechanics of the System down. If he can't hit a 3 he's fairly useless and emboldens the whoever is guarding him. Other than shooting I can't recall many (any?) great basketball plays by him. Has he ever made a really good pass?

But he does spread the floor...the whole other team gets out of the way and gives him time to shoot because that's probably the easiest defensive play for them to make.

I'm being sarcastic, sort of.

NFGIII
05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
But he has been - no extension remember? So he is free to go anywhere he chooses or to another NBA if they invite him to training Camp.

But with all the discussion on this board about Ian isn't it preety much settled that he fouls too much, has a low BBQ and is in Pop's doghouse? Noithing has changed and the only way to see him play in the post season will be in blowouts or, God forbid, injuries. But there is hope since I just remembered Ian getting in one of the games against the Mavs due to none of the above reasons. So maybe he does but don't expect significant minutes unless he performs a miracle.

NFGIII
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Bonner's BBIQ is bad. It took him two years to get the mechanics of the System down. If he can't hit a 3 he's fairly useless and emboldens the whoever is guarding him. Other than shooting I can't recall many (any?) great basketball plays by him. Has he ever made a really good pass?

But he does spread the floor...the whole other team gets out of the way and gives him time to shoot because that's probably the easiest defensive play for them to make.

I'm being sarcastic, sort of.

Sad in a sense about Bonner. A good guy who you wouldn't mind knocking a few beers down with but the pressure of the PO seem to cause him to meltdown. And when he doesn't hit those first 2 -3 shots he shuts down and disappears.

In another thread many months ago regarding Bonner I remember a poster relate a story about 'Sheed when he was with the Pistons concerning Bonner. Another player asked him what play to run and 'Sheed told him to get the ball to whatever player Bonner was guarding. Talk about no respect!

HarlemHeat37
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Ian: very poor basketball IQ..very raw..commits a lot of stupid fouls and doesn't have name recognition with NBA refs, his main flaw..has trouble defending the post at times due to relatively skinny frame..gets lost at times..

draws fouls at a high rate when he's on the court..athletic..mobile and good at hedging outside..alters shots at a good rate due to his tools..

Bonner: below average basketball IQ..tries hard to defend, but physical tools don't allow him to be successful no matter what..has absolutely no ability to handle pressure and can no longer make 3-pointers at a decent rate..stops his dribble way too much once he's ran off the 3-point line, stalling the offense and putting the team in a bad position..horrible passer..

makes decent defensive rotations..tries hard..has occasionally made 2-pointers in the playoffs so far..

I'd give Bonner 2 more games tbh..if he doesn't produce, I'd give Ian some minutes..not only for production, but to see if Bonner responds to being benched..this is tricky though, because Bonner has confidence issues..something has to be done though, Bonner is just hurting the team..even his infamous +/- numbers have been relatively bad, which speaks volumes about Bonner..

yes, there's a good chance Ian hurts the Spurs while he's on the floor, but there's not really any possible way he could be worse than Bonner tbh..a positive about Mahinmi is that having his size next to Blair for a few minutes is a lot better than the horrible Bonner-Blair frontcourt that provides NO lane intimidation at all..Mahinmi isn't a notable player, but a young and athletic 6'11 player is always intimidating in the lane..

This Spurs team would be so dangerous if we had 1 more big instead of Bonner or a raw Mahinmi..where is Splitter when you need him..

kaji157
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Mahinmi will have a better year than Bonner, next year. None of them will be a Spur, but i am 100% sure that Bonner won´t be even near the level Mahinmi will show.

beachwood
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
But Bonner has corporate knowledge, right?

SenorSpur
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Ian: very poor basketball IQ..very raw..commits a lot of stupid fouls and doesn't have name recognition with NBA refs, his main flaw..has trouble defending the post at times due to relatively skinny frame..gets lost at times..

draws fouls at a high rate when he's on the court..athletic..mobile and good at hedging outside..alters shots at a good rate due to his tools..

Bonner: below average basketball IQ..tries hard to defend, but physical tools don't allow him to be successful no matter what..has absolutely no ability to handle pressure and can no longer make 3-pointers at a decent rate..stops his dribble way too much once he's ran off the 3-point line, stalling the offense and putting the team in a bad position..horrible passer..

makes decent defensive rotations..tries hard..has occasionally made 2-pointers in the playoffs so far..

I'd give Bonner 2 more games tbh..if he doesn't produce, I'd give Ian some minutes..not only for production, but to see if Bonner responds to being benched..this is tricky though, because Bonner has confidence issues..something has to be done though, Bonner is just hurting the team..even his infamous +/- numbers have been relatively bad, which speaks volumes about Bonner..

yes, there's a good chance Ian hurts the Spurs while he's on the floor, but there's not really any possible way he could be worse than Bonner tbh..a positive about Mahinmi is that having his size next to Blair for a few minutes is a lot better than the horrible Bonner-Blair frontcourt that provides NO lane intimidation at all..Mahinmi isn't a notable player, but a young and athletic 6'11 player is always intimidating in the lane..

This Spurs team would be so dangerous if we had 1 more big instead of Bonner or a raw Mahinmi..where is Splitter when you need him..

I know Pop has his rotations pretty set by now, but it's hard to understand why he would continue to dip into the Bonner playoff well, when it's so very obvious there is nothing there. After all, this isn't Bonner's first playoff flop. We all knew this was coming. As a result, the Spurs are not getting the 3-pt production that they did during the season, which is hurting the team. At this time of the season and with a limited rotation, it's very important that bench players provide consistent contribution. Unfortunately in Bonner's case, If he's not doing the one thing he does well, his presence on the court is counter-productive.

Currently, Bonner is the first big off the bench. I'd much rather see give his minutes to Ian. In fact, it would probably make more sense for Pop to move up Blair in the rotation as the first big off the bench, than have Ian come in to replace Duncan at the end of quarters.

Foul situation aside, having Ian on the court to in place of Bonner would at least ensure there is another rim-protector in the paint, who can rebound and get some putbacks while Duncan gets rest. As previously stated, Ian surely could do on worse than the non-producing Bonner. It's good to dream, but obviously, it will never happen.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
The truth is, it's probably too late. I'd love to see him getting minutes in this series, but that would have required him getting minutes basically every between his performance against New Jersey and now. The refs and his teammates don't know him well enough for him to contribute in the playoffs, IMO. That said, he's probably got a better chance of helping the team win than Roger Mason does, and he's hardly any worse than a Matt Bonner that doesn't score any points.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Jealous?

Ocotillo
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
When Bonner is on the floor the refs have to stop the game more frequently so the mop kids can clean up the drool from Amare.

Dro210
05-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Exactly... it kills the team. It waste any positives Blair can give.... and then he wants to throw Mason out there with that group every time to top it off.

So frustrating.

Capt Bringdown
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Bonner will probably get benched and Ian will get a few minutes after we're down 0-3.

Old School 44
05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
The thing about the Spurs three point game is the "if your open you shoot it or find yourself on the bench" mentality. I never liked this way of thinking, particularly with role players. This mentality has hurt Bonner's and Mason's game. Also, when they are not hitting, it transfers to the other players in two ways. One, it takes touches away from the other players, particularly the big three, and two, it has to be disheartening to their teammates when a guys missing and he's still jacking them up just because he's open.

As far as his defense, I really don't fault Bonner. He tries hard, but he's just not physically equipped, and in the playoffs you've asked him to guard two of the best offensive bigs in Dirk and Amare. Also, these tough defensive assigments have to affect what little offensive game Bonner does have.

I'd love to see Mahinmi get a chance to play along side Duncan to protect the rim, but you know it's not going to happen. If he did play and picked up quick fouls, so be it.

4>0rings
05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
He can't be any worse than Bonner. He could probably hit a wide open 3, we will never know though.

SpursRulez4eVeR
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
soon he will be free...July is around the corner.

slick'81
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
i dont see him getting run now we just have to hope bonner and mason realize their gone after this year especially if they dont show some life out on the court

mingus
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM

like you would know. he never fuckin' plays.

and the same people that use this as an argument to not play him, are the SAME fuckin' people who wanted RMJ over Michael Pietrus (hell anybody over him), and one of the reasons was because Michael Pietrus supposedly had too low a bball iq. you people wanna remind me what he's been up to over in Orlando? if not i'll just assume you think your morons, which is true.

Obstructed_View
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
like you would know. he never fuckin' plays.

and the same people that use this as an argument to not play him, are the SAME fuckin' people who wanted RMJ over Michael Pietrus (hell anybody over him), and one of the reasons was because Michael Pietrus supposedly had too low a bball iq. you people wanna remind me what he's been up to over in Orlando? if not i'll just assume you think your morons, which is true.

People only use that as an argument because they can't deal with the possibility that the coach made a mistake by not picking up his option of playing him all season long. Why someone trades away one center and refuses to give the other any minutes on a team with championship potential should be questioned. If not now, then if and when the Spurs' lack of size prevents them from winning a title.

nkdlunch
05-05-2010, 09:48 AM
But he has been - no extension remember? So he is free to go anywhere he chooses or to another NBA if they invite him to training Camp.

But with all the discussion on this board about Ian isn't it preety much settled that he fouls too much, has a low BBQ and is in Pop's doghouse? Noithing has changed and the only way to see him play in the post season will be in blowouts or, God forbid, injuries. But there is hope since I just remembered Ian getting in one of the games against the Mavs due to none of the above reasons. So maybe he does but don't expect significant minutes unless he performs a miracle.

I beleive we were getting stomped by Dallas and Blair + Dyce had foul trouble.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Ian sucks. Get over it people.

nkdlunch
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Ian sucks. Get over it people.

we know that. But so does Bonner, and maybe even more than Ian. The judge still out on that one.

and again I ask, Is Lous Admunson really better than Ian Mahinmi????

IMO play ian when that scrub is in. If Ian can't overplay him, then send his ass straight back to France.

EricB
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
we know that. But so does Bonner, and maybe even more than Ian. The judge still out on that one.

IMO play ian when that scrub is in. If Ian can't overplay him, then send his ass straight back to France.

Admunson is a stiff true. Putting in another stiff to rival a stiff though doesn't equate. Harlem is 100% right in that splitter would be perfect right now but that's neither here nor there.

nkdlunch
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Admunson is a stiff true. Putting in another stiff to rival a stiff though doesn't equate. Harlem is 100% right in that splitter would be perfect right now but that's neither here nor there.

well my point is that stiff could get a few rebounds and prevent penetration instead of red rocket bricking threes.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Not really. Pop has had years to see both guys in practice. The fact that Ian still can't get into games when they count should be pretty telling.

Yes, he is.

Ian will be heading back to france soon enough.

4>0rings
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Just wait till if and when we play LA. Sending Bonner against Gasol or Bynum... :lmao

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Stiff? You don't know Amundson. That's ok though, I don't expect you to know the 10th men on the Suns very well.

He is the anti-stiff. Jarron Collins is a stiff. Amundson is very athletic and has the 2nd highest vertical leap on the team behind J-Rich. He is a great shot blocker from the weak side where you need timing and jumping ability. He's horrific on the offensive end though.

mingus
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Amundson is a stiff? do you actually watch the games? he is a hustle guy. he impected game 1 and he had a good game against SA in the last game they played in the season?

you need to just stfu, and quit fooling yourself that you know what you're talking about.

sananspursfan21
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
amundson's a girl. remember the "ugliest player in the league" thread way back when? i didn't see his name or pic in there, weird!

Dr. Gonzo
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Not really. Pop has had years to see both guys in practice. The fact that Ian still can't get into games when they count should be pretty telling.

What? Popabitch is a moron. Who cares about practice? We are talking about games here. Remember he played those few minutes that one time and ALTERED SHOTS!

Chomag
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
It's pretty much a given that Ian will be gone after the playoffs. What I find very interesting though is that Sean Elliott keeps referring that Ian will be a big part of the spurs future next season. Even going as far as saying he sees him getting big minutes.

I know Sean isn't a coach but he is usually in the loop on what goes on behind closed doors. So who knows.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 01:01 PM
What? Popabitch is a moron. Who cares about practice? We are talking about games here. Remember he played those few minutes that one time and ALTERED SHOTS!

In Ian's case "altering shots" consists of changing an opposing player's field goal attempt into two free throw attempts.

MateoNeygro
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't necessarily want to see Ian now because it might throw off the team's chemistry but I really wish he would've gotten a lot more burn during regular season. Then he'd be prime to take Bonner's minutes. I always defended Bonner but he seriously disappears in the PO's.

MateoNeygro
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM

In Ian's case "altering shots" consists of changing an opposing player's field goal attempt into two free throw attempts.

Lol

SenorSpur
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
It's pretty much a given that Ian will be gone after the playoffs. What I find very interesting though is that Sean Elliott keeps referring that Ian will be a big part of the spurs future next season. Even going as far as saying he sees him getting big minutes.

I know Sean isn't a coach but he is usually in the loop on what goes on behind closed doors. So who knows.

I sure hope Sean is right. Anyway, I would lean his opinion before that of the many Ian-haters on this board. Personally, I've seen nothing to indicate this kid can't play.

In case no one has noticed, outside of Duncan, this team still lacks size. Memo to the Ian-haters, the Fakers STILL sport a frontline trio of Bynum, Gasol and Odom. If the Spurs are somehow fortunate enough to get past the Suns and meet the Fakers in the WCF, many of these same Ian-haters will start bitching again about how the Spurs cannot matchup with the Fakers size on the frontline.

I'll say it again, big men are not growing on trees. Pushing aside a young, raw, 23 year-old, 6'11", 235 lb, center, who has the raw ability to rebound, defend the rim, run the floor and provide some low-post offense is insane.

While the Spurs could use Splitter, he isn't here. And even if he shows up next year, having him as part of a frontline that includes Duncan, Blair, Dice and Ian would be outstanding. The Spurs would then be well-equipped to match the size and length of the Fakers, and take some of the workload off Duncan as he gets older. The Spurs need for harvest Ian's potential - not now, but certainly next season.

cheguevara
05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
"you don't teach size"

/thread

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
"you don't teach size"

/thread

Many a GM has learned the hard way that size isn't enough. If size and athleticism were all that it took Francisco Elson would still be a Spur.

nkdlunch
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Many a GM has learned the hard way that size isn't enough. If size and athleticism were all that it took Francisco Elson would still be a Spur.

Frankie Elson would be getting Bonners minutes right now.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I sure hope Sean is right. Anyway, I would lean his opinion before that of the many Ian-haters on this board. Personally, I've seen nothing to indicate this kid can't play.

In case no one has noticed, outside of Duncan, this team still lacks size. Memo to the Ian-haters, the Fakers STILL sport a frontline trio of Bynum, Gasol and Odom. If the Spurs are somehow fortunate enough to get past the Suns and meet the Fakers in the WCF, many of these same Ian-haters will start bitching again about how the Spurs cannot matchup with the Fakers size on the frontline.

I'll say it again, big men are not growing on trees. Pushing aside a young, raw, 23 year-old, 6'11", 235 lb, center, who has the raw ability to rebound, defend the rim, run the floor and provide some low-post offense is insane.

While the Spurs could use Splitter, he isn't here. And even if he shows up next year, having him as part of a frontline that includes Duncan, Blair, Dice and Ian would be outstanding. The Spurs would then be well-equipped to match the size and length of the Fakers, and take some of the workload off Duncan as he gets older. The Spurs need for harvest Ian's potential - not now, but certainly next season.

The Spurs have been "harvesting" that potential for half a decade now. How many more years do you think Ian should be given?

TJastal
05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
The Spurs have been "harvesting" that potential for half a decade now. How many more years do you think Ian should be given?

Half a decade huh? 3 years (2 of which have been lost to injuries) is half a decade?

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Half a decade huh? 3 years (2 of which have been lost to injuries) is half a decade?

Drafted in 2005. Five years ago = half a decade. Sucks for him about the injuries, but that's life.

TJastal
05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Drafted in 2005. Five years ago = half a decade. Sucks for him about the injuries, but that's life.

The spurs weren't expecting immediate returns when he was drafted.. he wasn't actually signed until 2007. You really can't count the two years in summer league before that as wasted years. He was fucking 19 years old at the time you dipshit.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The spurs weren't expecting immediate returns when he was drafted.. he wasn't actually signed until 2007. You really can't count the two years in summer league before that as wasted years. He was fucking 19 years old at the time you dipshit.

Dipshit? :lol Someone got their precious feelings hurt. Grow up and quit acting like a 6th grader just because someone on the internet disagrees with you.

As for your point, yes, we all knew that no one was expecting immediate returns when he was drafted. In 2005 he was an 18 year old athlete who we hoped would turn into a basketball player one day. Well, it's 2010 now and now he's a 23 year old athlete and we're still hoping he turns into a basketball player one day. I don't care that he didn't sign with the Spurs until 2007. Those two years were still two years he should have been developing as a basketball player and it sure doesn't look to me like he did.

You think 5 years is too soon to give up on the guy? Okay, fair enough. How many years do you want to give him? Seven? Ten? Twelve?

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM

classic.

TJastal
05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Dipshit? :lol Someone got their precious feelings hurt. Grow up and quit acting like a 6th grader just because someone on the internet disagrees with you.

As for your point, yes, we all knew that no one was expecting immediate returns when he was drafted. In 2005 he was an 18 year old athlete who we hoped would turn into a basketball player one day. Well, it's 2010 now and now he's a 23 year old athlete and we're still hoping he turns into a basketball player one day. I don't care that he didn't sign with the Spurs until 2007. Those two years were still two years he should have been developing as a basketball player and it sure doesn't look to me like he did.

You think 5 years is too soon to give up on the guy? Okay, fair enough. How many years do you want to give him? Seven? Ten? Twelve?

I don't have hurt feelings. I enjoy calling out buffoonery on ST when I come across it. And by the way, 23 years old is the average age most players first enter the league. Sure it would have been great if he would have been an instant sensation like Kevin Durant was at age 19 but most intelligent folks understand that is not going to be the case with every 19 year old.

Add in the fact that he's been hampered by injuries that have set his development back another couple years and also the fact that he recieved so few minutes this year from Pop when he was completely healthy and your arguments become even shallower. It's hard to prove yourself from the bench.

In limited garbage minutes this year he put up gaudy numbers. The guy showed he is deserving of an extended look to see if he can play in this league. If not on the spurs I'm fairly certain it will be for some other team. I just wish Pop would have used him in place of Bonner's 15-20m a game and gave him some serious development time. There's no telling where he'd be at right now. Defensively he is already head and shoulders above Bonner, and he'd be a much better fit next to Blair in that 2nd unit. The Boner/Blair combo is just too porous defensively.

will_spurs
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Dipshit? :lol Someone got their precious feelings hurt.

Or maybe he hit a bit too close to the mark.

Those two years [2005-2007] were still two years he should have been developing as a basketball player and it sure doesn't look to me like he did.

And how would you know that? Because he must not have made any progress otherwise Pop would have played him? Given Pop's track record for players development... ok he managed to help 2 guards in the past 10+ years.

[/quote]You think 5 years is too soon to give up on the guy? Okay, fair enough. How many years do you want to give him? Seven? Ten? Twelve?[/quote]

15 minutes per game, 10 straight games. But you will see it next year when he's signed by another team.

SenorSpur
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't have hurt feelings. I enjoy calling out buffoonery on ST when I come across it. And by the way, 23 years old is the average age most players first enter the league. Sure it would have been great if he would have been an instant sensation like Kevin Durant was at age 19 but most intelligent folks understand that is not going to be the case with every 19 year old.

Add in the fact that he's been hampered by injuries that have set his development back another couple years and also the fact that he recieved so few minutes this year from Pop when he was completely healthy and your arguments become even shallower. It's hard to prove yourself from the bench.

In limited garbage minutes this year he put up gaudy numbers. The guy showed he is deserving of an extended look to see if he can play in this league. If not on the spurs I'm fairly certain it will be for some other team. I just wish Pop would have used him in place of Bonner's 15-20m a game and gave him some serious development time. There's no telling where he'd be at right now. Defensively he is already head and shoulders above Bonner, and he'd be a much better fit next to Blair in that 2nd unit. The Boner/Blair combo is just too porous defensively.

Excellent points there. Ian would work better, paired with Blair, on the second unit. Besides being a defensive liability on defense and a one-trick pony on offense, Bonner's 3-pt shooting isnt needed as much without Duncan on the floor. I hope we'll see this more next year.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM

That's not what this conversation is about. We're in agreement that no one expected Ian to be an instant sensation.

Is it hard to prove yourself in practice? I'd hope we can agree that Pop isn't making Ian sit on the bench during practices, shootarounds and walkthroughs. Just because Ian isn't getting game minutes doesn't mean Ian isn't getting an opportunity to show what he can do.

Those gaudy numbers include a ratio of 4 fouls for every blocked shot, with the overwhelming majority of those fouls and blocks coming in garbage time. Not a very good ratio for someone hoping to be a shotblocker. While the Bonner/Blair combo is definitely porous, that doesn't mean that Ian makes things better by coming in and picking up a bunch of fouls.

coyotes_geek
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Or maybe he hit a bit too close to the mark.

If that's what you'd like to believe, go ahead.

And how would you know that? Because he must not have made any progress otherwise Pop would have played him? Given Pop's track record for players development... ok he managed to help 2 guards in the past 10+ years.

In addition to Parker and Hill I'd say that Dejuan Blair is coming along nicely. Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, Speedy Claxton and Devin Brown are additional examples of guys Pop played early in their careers. Beyond those guys there's also the James Whites, Darius Washingtons and Pops Mensah Bonsus of the world. Guys who Pop took a look at and cut loose, with his assessment of their abilities being validated by the fact that those guys didn't end up in some other NBA team's regular rotation.

Considering all that, isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe, that the reason Ian might not be playing because he's just not that good?

15 minutes per game, 10 straight games. But you will see it next year when he's signed by another team.

If he does I welcome you to bump this thread and I will gladly eat my crow. Of course I'd hope that you're willing to do the same should Ian's 2010-2011 season bear a striking resemblance to his 2009-2010 one.

sabar
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Leave him out. This series is going to be hard enough with players that actually know each other. Fact is, it is way too late to free Ian. These are going to be close games and we can't afford to give up runs and free throws to test out a new player.

The post-season isn't where you try to evaluate your new talent. The front office blew many opportunities to evaluate Ian in the regular season, it would be suicide to do so now. Yes, even more suicide than a Bonner/Blair front court is. This team already turns the ball over too much and commits stupid fouls in the paint. Ian will only increase these issues. He CAN be worse than Bonner, like it or not.

If we are down and nothing is working, toss him in. Don't expect the coaching staff to put him in during any other situation, it's not realistic. We shouldn't of wasted all those minutes on Ratliff and we are paying for it now since Ian could of learned. Too bad, live and move on.

underdawg
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Those gaudy numbers include a ratio of 4 fouls for every blocked shot, with the overwhelming majority of those fouls and blocks coming in garbage time. Not a very good ratio for someone hoping to be a shotblocker. While the Bonner/Blair combo is definitely porous, that doesn't mean that Ian makes things better by coming in and picking up a bunch of fouls.

young players foul (especially bigs) - Blair, Ibaka, Landry (still fouls a lot)

underdawg
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
In addition to Parker and Hill I'd say that Dejuan Blair is coming along nicely. Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, Speedy Claxton and Devin Brown are additional examples of guys Pop played early in their careers. Beyond those guys there's also the James Whites, Darius Washingtons and Pops Mensah Bonsus of the world. Guys who Pop took a look at and cut loose, with his assessment of their abilities being validated by the fact that those guys didn't end up in some other NBA team's regular rotation.

Even Pop admits that he's not developing Blair. Daniels - better after the Spurs, Jackson - better after the Spurs; Devin Brown developed outside the NBA and really didn't improve with the Spurs or after; Claxton peaked with the Spurs. Tolliver didn't do too bad this year on a horrible team, but the fact is that most Spurs players won't necessarily go tear it up on another team since they were on the Spurs as role players in the first place. Stephen Jackson might be the only exception.

jermaine
05-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Blair does it & he gets time on the court. Ian mustve told Pop 2 fuck himself. If weak ass Mason can go 2 the press about being traded & get mins an still play horriable. Mannnnnnnnn its something really wrong with Ian.

4>0rings
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Blair does it & he gets time on the court. Ian mustve told Pop 2 fuck himself. If weak ass Mason can go 2 the press about being traded & get mins an still play horriable. Mannnnnnnnn its something really wrong with Ian.Nothings wrong with Ian. Pops just a stuburn old coot that yells at kids to get off his lawn.

Spurologist
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM
if Louis fucking Admunson and Derron motherfucking Collins are on the floor, why can't Ian?????

Ian could be Pop's card under the sleeve!!!

People forget Nazr had a 30 and 16 game against many of these same suns.

objective
05-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Ian is a better player than Bonner, and his one game where he got minutes against Dallas proves it.

Ian may not be the answer. I'd like more McDyess and Blair. But Ian is better than Bonner. Period.

venitian navigator
05-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Ian is a better player than Bonner, and his one game where he got minutes against Dallas proves it.

Ian may not be the answer. I'd like more McDyess and Blair. But Ian is better than Bonner. Period.

If we talk about defense, that's questionable...for sure he's a better defender 'cause of his skills, but he's also foul prone. However, Bonner is seen as our worst defensive player by all of our opponents (and that should mean something).
Ian should be better for sure in rebounding ...and if we talk about offense, anybody should be better than a shooter that is scared to shoot and when shoot misses...

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 05:58 AM

The stats do not back up your claim, nor does Ian's pre-season play, nor does Pop's lack of confidence in him all season long.

wildbill2u
05-06-2010, 07:56 AM

That's the standard rap against Mahinmi, but in his appearances during the regular season he was much better about fouling. He's obviously learning to play within the rules and put some limits on his enthusiasm.

In a game of matchups, who do we have to counter their big, fast, athletic big bench players? The cupboard is bare.

The question I have is whether we could afford to give up 6 fouls to keep Channing Frye (6'11") covered out on the perimeter and stop the 3s raining down. Niether Tim nor Bonner nor McDyess can play with him out there. Make him earn two on the line instead of getting wide open 3s. Call it Foul-a-Frye.

Did you notice how we're getting killed on offensive rebounds. They are too tall, too athletic. Inside Ian'd give us some shot blocking, some rebounds and might even score some. His offensive game isn't bad.

It would be a risk, but if I have terminal cancer and someone says eating chokecherries will help, I'd say "Please Sir, May I have some more"

ElNono
05-06-2010, 08:00 AM

At this point, if he manages to score 4 points and grab 4 boards before fouling out in 10 mins, he already did better than Bonner...

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
At this point, if he manages to score 4 points and grab 4 boards before fouling out in 10 mins, he already did better than Bonner...

In games that are decided by less than 10 points, is that really a chance worth taking? We lost because Manu had a bad offensive night. Bonner was just an ahem red herring.

DarrinS
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
In games that are decided by less than 10 points, is that really a chance worth taking? We lost because Manu had a bad offensive night. Bonner was just an ahem red herring.

Really? Really?

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Really? Really?
Really.

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Ian would have definitely grabbed those rebounds in the 2nd quarter

Agloco
05-06-2010, 09:41 AM

LOL.......I love your takes HH, but this is just harsh man. Not a kind word in here. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that Matty B is still one of your boys until the season is over so we should try to keep from throwing him under the bus. :lol

Obstructed_View
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

If Francisco Elson were still a Spur he'd be be the best big off the bench not named Mahinmi.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
LOL.......I love your takes HH, but this is just harsh man. Not a kind word in here. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that Matty B is still one of your boys until the season is over so we should try to keep from throwing him under the bus. :lol

Yes, it was harsh, but I've been defending Bonner all year..I was actually one of the guys here that would usually defend him when people would bash him for no reason(not the playoff hate, that was warranted last year)..I didn't expect him to contribute in the playoffs, so it's not like I'm shocked that this is happening, but it's very disappointing..I want to see him do well, but I'm tired of defending him..