PDA

View Full Version : Some Parents Still Have the Right Idea

desflood
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
There's been an RV parked in my cul-de-sac for a couple of days. One of the neighbor kids (5 years old) decided to climb right up the ladder and jump around on top of the thing. I told him to come down (I don't want to see any kid, even a bratty one, with his head broken open on the pavement) or his mom was going to whip his ass. He just kind of laughed and turned away... so I called her. Well, exactly as I predicted, she came marching down the sidewalk with belt ready and handled that boy right there in the street. If he doesn't remember the pain of the lesson, he surely will recall the humiliation.

Tree hugger
05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
That poor boy is going to be scarred for life!! He is going to be a menace to society!! A good talking to from a role model is what he needs.

Scola
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
No the approach I would of taken, whats gonna happen when the mom isn't around to beat his ass ?
He didn't really learn why he shouldn't have been doing it. Instead of beating the kid make him understand why its dangerous.

mrsmaalox
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
She probably didn't even have to beat him; just the sight of the belt would work in most cases. I used to keep one of those huge metal barbecue spatulas in my car. Never used it, but they knew it was there for "just in case". :lol

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Whip the kid you stupid "put your kids in time-out" generation.

Duff McCartney
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Whip the kid you stupid "put your kids in time-out" generation.

I'm not one of those time out people not that I have a child, but physical pain goes away after a while...emotional/mental anguish is there for the rest of your life.

ploto
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
You teach a child to exercise self-control by being out of control in public?

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm not one of those time out people not that I have a child, but physical pain goes away after a while...emotional/mental anguish is there for the rest of your life.

Somehow, someway, in a wierd and dark way.....

I kinda see what your sayin.....:toast

BUT WHIP THE KID ANYWAYS....:lol

The Gemini Method
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM
You teach a kid by showing them Rotten.com and type in falling off tall objects. Then, if that doesn't work you use the belt.

TheManFromAcme
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
You teach a kid by showing them Rotten.com and type in falling off tall objects. Then, if that doesn't work you use the belt.

:lol

Sisk
05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
this thread is inevitably going to be sent to the political forum.....

Scola
05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
When people don't do what they're told... you beat their ass? Nice Parenting :rolleyes

Don't get me wrong, I hate those soft parents who let their kids do whatever, they never lay down the law and then complain (the type you see on Dr.Phil asking for help w/ their 'out-of-control-child'). Beating your kid just seems a quick fix that some people use because they're too lazy to actually parent.

Sisk
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
When people don't do what they're told... you beat their ass? Nice Parenting :rolleyes

Don't get me wrong, I hate those soft parents who let their kids do whatever, they never lay down the law and then complain (the type you see on Dr.Phil asking for help w/ their 'out-of-control-child'). Beating your kid just seems a quick fix that some people use because they're too lazy to actually parent.

how'd you learn not to touch a hot stove?

PM5K
05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I always find it interesting when people say you shouldn't spank but instead you should tell them why what they did was wrong, what could happen if they did it again, etc.

I do both.

Scola
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
how'd you learn not to touch a hot stove?

I suppose it was from people telling me that I would get burned if I did touch it. I don't know where your going with this...? Are you implying that the pain from the stove (the parental beating) is what re-inforced the concept? That would be a faulty argument...

Sisk
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I suppose it was from people telling me that I would get burned if I did touch it. I don't know where your going with this...? Are you implying that the pain from the stove (the parental beating) is what re-inforced the concept? That would be a faulty argument...

How is it faulty?

It hurts, so you don't do it again. Simple logic

MsMcGillyCutty
05-04-2010, 07:53 PM
How is it faulty?

It also hurt the first time I had sex.

Shaolin-Style
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Spare the rod spoil the child!

I got my ass beat when I was a kid and I turned out alright...well not really.

Scola
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
How is it faulty?

By your logic, you wouldn't know that getting stabbed, electrocuted, shot, etc.. were bad for you unless they happened to you.

------

Sorry but beating your kid is on the same level as beating up your wife or girlfriend.

Summers
05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Just from personal experience... kids who get regular ass-beatings are mean little fuckers. My kids get an occasional swat on the ass (because we're not perfectly patient at all times), but my kids are sweet. I'm jus' sayin'.

Sisk
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
By your logic, you wouldn't know that getting stabbed, electrocuted, shot, etc.. were bad for you unless they happened to you.

------

Sorry but beating your kid is on the same level as beating up your wife or girlfriend.

I'm not saying BEAT your child, of course not. But I am saying a spanking here and there isn't going to make him a damn psychopath.

Drachen
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Spanking is just fine, as long as (with everything) it is used in moderation. You explain as much as you can, but sometimes it takes a hot stove to help the kid learn the lesson. Also, we don't know if the mom had already told this kid to quit doing this 5 times. She may have even said "next time I catch you doing this, you are going to get the belt."

The Franchise
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Spanking is just fine, as long as (with everything) it is used in moderation. You explain as much as you can, but sometimes it takes a hot stove to help the kid learn the lesson. Also, we don't know if the mom had already told this kid to quit doing this 5 times. She may have even said "next time I catch you doing this, you are going to get the belt."

Exactly. You should always take the time to explain to your child why they shouldn't do something, but if they choose to ignore you, beat that ass, then explain it to them again. Children tend to pay a little more attention when they know there are stiffer penalties for disobedience. When the little boy was asked to get down by the neighbor and chose to ignore him, he earned that beating.

desflood
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Also, we don't know if the mom had already told this kid to quit doing this 5 times. She may have even said "next time I catch you doing this, you are going to get the belt."
That is in fact the case. The boy had already been in trouble for climbing onto the top of the Fed Ex truck when it stopped at their home to make a delivery and knew what sort of punishment was coming if he pulled a similar stunt. Kid's like freakin' Spiderman.

For anybody concerned, Mom was definitely not out of control. There were three or four (not very hard) whacks to the back of the legs and he was not allowed to play outside for the rest of the night. If she had actually beaten him, I would have called the police myself.

samikeyp
05-04-2010, 10:56 PM

This.

There is a difference between spanking and abuse. One is not necessarily the other.

marini martini
05-04-2010, 11:02 PM
That is in fact the case. The boy had already been in trouble for climbing onto the top of the Fed Ex truck when it stopped at their home to make a delivery and knew what sort of punishment was coming if he pulled a similar stunt. Kid's like freakin' Spiderman.

For anybody concerned, Mom was definitely not out of control. There were three or four (not very hard) whacks to the back of the legs and he was not allowed to play outside for the rest of the night. If she had actually beaten him, I would have called the police myself.

Why call the police on a woman teaching her child a lesson the old fashioned way. Why not go talk to her. You calling the police is worse than her beating the child.

I think DF meant she would have called the police if the Mom was out of control beating her little kid.

Twisted_Dawg
05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Parents that use belts on kids are sick. A coat hanger works much better.

marini martini
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Parents that use belts on kids are sick. A coat hanger works much better.

Only if it's wooden, Mommie Dearest!!!:tu

Stringer_Bell
05-05-2010, 12:26 AM
It sure does take a big person to hurt a little person.

Some people just have kids to beat them. It makes no sense to me to make sweet love to a woman, have her bare my children...then let her whip/spank our creation because she has failed, ON HER END, to raise a conscientious child that will not act a fool in public. Not in my house, woman.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Buncha poons in this thread.

ploto
05-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Maybe the Mom should actually be watching a five year old who is outside in the front yard. The fact that she did not even see him doing this and had to have someone call her and tell her...

desflood
05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Maybe the Mom should actually be watching a five year old who is outside in the front yard. The fact that she did not even see him doing this and had to have someone call her and tell her...
This is something I have a problem with as well. Almost all of my neighbors seem to let their kids roam the neighborhood unsupervised for long periods of time. It's a pretty safe place, we've never really had crime on our street, but I feel overprotective sometimes being the only parent actually watching their kids when they are playing outside.

Drachen
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
It sure does take a big person to hurt a little person.

Some people just have kids to beat them. It makes no sense to me to make sweet love to a woman, have her bare my children...then let her whip/spank our creation because she has failed, ON HER END, to raise a conscientious child that will not act a fool in public. Not in my house, woman.

She failed . . . on HER end . . .

And what about your Mr. Bell, how about YOUR end?? Are your kids not your responsibility?

Drachen
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
This is something I have a problem with as well. Almost all of my neighbors seem to let their kids roam the neighborhood unsupervised for long periods of time. It's a pretty safe place, we've never really had crime on our street, but I feel overprotective sometimes being the only parent actually watching their kids when they are playing outside.

I do have a small problem with this. I guess I feel like I shouldn't have a problem with this because 5 years old was about the time that my friends and I were allowed to go out by ourselves (just to eachother's houses which were all within 2 blocks of eachother), but since it is a different time, I guess this shouldn't be the case.

SpursStalker
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
This.

There is a difference between spanking and abuse. One is not necessarily the other.

My thoughts exactly ...

You don't have to beat your child to teach a lesson.

Slydragon
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Whats a 5 year old doing outside unsupervised in the first place.

Bukefal
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit spanking, now a belt is a bit too much. Ordinary spanking is normal, that's just how nature is.

I cant stand these new softie generation of parents who try to have civilized conversations and meetings, evaluations with a child and expecting that the child; a. gives a shit, b. understands what they are saying and c. being on the same level.

Spanking is normal and effective and yes also tell him/her what is bad.

Summers
05-05-2010, 09:17 AM

And what about your Mr. Bell, how about YOUR end?? Are your kids not your responsibility?

Giving Mr Bell the benefit of the doubt, I believe me means in that instant, when she whips out the belt and starts hurting her child, she is failing to control her anger and show the child compassion. I completely agree with what he said.

Drachen
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Giving Mr Bell the benefit of the doubt, I believe me means in that instant, when she whips out the belt and starts hurting her child, she is failing to control her anger and show the child compassion. I completely agree with what he said.

Well he is saying that she failed on her end to raise a conciencious child, and since he was talking about the raising of the child which takes much longer than that "instant" I questioned his role in the raising of his children.

peteee
05-05-2010, 09:41 AM

sorry but kid raising isn't traditionally the man's errand in American and most European countries, which differs from the sissy land you're from.

peteee
05-05-2010, 09:47 AM

you have to agree with someone who speaks to the truth instead of one dumb sissy ass, despite how much fetish you have for dumb asses. Beating kids sometimes just works as women's gimmick for pissing off their men or for drawing attentions from the males, while the innocent kids are always rammed into the horde of victims. no man could ever get a clue how a woman thinks, I think.

desflood
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
sorry but kid raising isn't traditionally the man's errand in American and most European countries, which differs from the sissy land you're from.
Which makes American men sissies. Raising kids is hard.

Leetonidas
05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
At least I know why kids today are such assholes and little shits. It's because you faggots are too pussy to discipline them and rely on "a stern talking to."

Stringer_Bell
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
you have to agree with someone who speaks to the truth instead of one dumb sissy ass, despite how much fetish you have for dumb asses. Beating kids sometimes just works as women's gimmick for pissing off their men or for drawing attentions from the males, while the innocent kids are always rammed into the horde of victims. no man could ever get a clue how a woman thinks, I think.

While I agree with much of the sentiments recently posted (some women projecting their frustrations on children, men being told they need to take more responsibility of their children when women are so often awarded custody like it's an automatic and, my favorite, women doing dumb things instead of watching their babies then getting pissy at the kids for the woman's own shortcomings)...I do think it's possible tap into how a Woman thinks and feels, and that's part of the "creation" process you have with that Woman (or Women, in some cases). If she knows that you want to bring love into this world through her, and she wants to share and bare in that love, SHE WILL FEEL how wrong it is to bruise that creation in the event of a disturbance in the force.

Alls I'm saying is, hitting your babies teaches them to be FEARFUL instead of WHY certain things are not good. They learn to avoid consequences, not bad actions. But I'd never call the cops on anyone, it's not MY baby getting hit AND CPS seems to do more harm to children these days.

Drachen
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
While I agree with much of the sentiments recently posted (some women projecting their frustrations on children, men being told they need to take more responsibility of their children when women are so often awarded custody like it's an automatic and, my favorite, women doing dumb things instead of watching their babies then getting pissy at the kids for the woman's own shortcomings)...I do think it's possible tap into how a Woman thinks and feels, and that's part of the "creation" process you have with that Woman (or Women, in some cases). If she knows that you want to bring love into this world through her, and she wants to share and bare in that love, SHE WILL FEEL how wrong it is to bruise that creation in the event of a disturbance in the force.

Alls I'm saying is, hitting your babies teaches them to be FEARFUL instead of WHY certain things are not good. They learn to avoid consequences, not bad actions. But I'd never call the cops on anyone, it's not MY baby getting hit AND CPS seems to do more harm to children these days.

Once again, you are focusing solely on the woman's part in the raising, dads are part of the raising too. Woman aren't the only ones who spank, men spank too. You seem to keep shying away from your responsibility as the father for your kids' upbringing. Very telling.

As to peetee, even though I know you are a troll, I will say this; what flag is next to my name?

Stringer_Bell
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Once again, you are focusing solely on the woman's part in the raising, dads are part of the raising too. Woman aren't the only ones who spank, men spank too. You seem to keep shying away from your responsibility as the father for your kids' upbringing. Very telling.

If you are dug that deep in your own agenda to see what I wrote, then anything else I say will just feed your criticism irregardless if I'm even making a marginally sustainable point that applies to more people than myself.

I don't know your situation, but it seems like you have bigger issues with this topic so I'll refrain from being a stand-in for the men in your life that shy away from "responsibility."

JoeChalupa
05-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Parenting is a tough job and most don't agree on what type of discipline, if any to use. I've spanked my kids , not beat or abused, but I have spanked them and I've also used "time out" and also take away privileges as part of the consequences of their actions. Kids respond differently and as a parent one must learn to use and adapt to what works best for them and their child. There are no absolutes, IMO, when it comes to discipline.

Dr. Gonzo
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
emotional/mental anguish is there for the rest of your life.

lmao

There is no emotional anguish from being spanked. The kid shouldn't have been fucking around. It's teaching a lesson not physical abuse. There's a difference.

bus driver
05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
i am down for kicking kids asses; two ways they will learn... fall and hurt yourself or get spanked

IronMexican
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
No emotional anguish for getting your ass kicked. Maybe if the kid is a pussy.

FatBeaner
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
wifey gives the kid a pinch when he won't settle down in public.

nobody has to witness a public spanking and he settles down quick...maybe just a few tears.

don't mess with puerto rican moms.

otherwise, it's the ol count of 1-2-3 and he settles down at about the 2 and a half mark...if it hits 3, he gets a code red at naptime.

Drachen
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
If you are dug that deep in your own agenda to see what I wrote, then anything else I say will just feed your criticism irregardless if I'm even making a marginally sustainable point that applies to more people than myself.

I don't know your situation, but it seems like you have bigger issues with this topic so I'll refrain from being a stand-in for the men in your life that shy away from "responsibility."

I am a man, and I had a great father too. So any issues that you think I have with men in my life are perceived. The issues I have are with those who keep pushing the raising of their children on others when the decision to raise your damn kids is a pretty easy one.

bus driver
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
wifey gives the kid a pinch when he won't settle down in public.

nobody has to witness a public spanking and he settles down quick...maybe just a few tears.

don't mess with puerto rican moms.

otherwise, it's the ol count of 1-2-3 and he settles down at about the 2 and a half mark...if it hits 3, he gets a code red at naptime :lmao.

byrontx
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Beating a kid is way over-rated as a method of teaching. I have a 6 yr old that is a great kid and I do not think I have ever had to whip him. I am not saying I wouldn't but so far not needed. I am not saying he's perfect but he knows right from wrong and will try to do right. If a grown-up told him not to do something he wouldn't do it. The issue is not about when they do something wrong but the time you invest in them before that. Beating the crap out of kid does not make them a good kid; they just get sneakier or get big enough to hit back.

Shelly
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Sheyitt...my mom is the proper grammar queen. When I was a teen, I used to use double negatives and poor grammar just to piss her off. One time she couldn't take it anymore and stab me in the arm forearm with a fork. I had prong marks and she drew blood.

But I speak properly now! :lol

florige
05-05-2010, 02:57 PM
She probably didn't even have to beat him; just the sight of the belt would work in most cases. I used to keep one of those huge metal barbecue spatulas in my car. Never used it, but they knew it was there for "just in case". :lol

Maalox that would be considered abuse. :lol

Kori Ellis
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Whats a 5 year old doing outside unsupervised in the first place.

This is my issue with the story. Someone who doesn't supervise the kid to the point they can climb on top of a FedEx truck/a camper, etc repeatedly? Check yourself first for being a lazy ass parent before you think about spanking your kid.

JoeChalupa
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Beating a kid is way over-rated as a method of teaching. I have a 6 yr old that is a great kid and I do not think I have ever had to whip him. I am not saying I wouldn't but so far not needed. I am not saying he's perfect but he knows right from wrong and will try to do right. If a grown-up told him not to do something he wouldn't do it. The issue is not about when they do something wrong but the time you invest in them before that. Beating the crap out of kid does not make them a good kid; they just get sneakier or get big enough to hit back.

Beating, yes...spanking, no, IMO. Big difference between "beating" your child and giving them a spanking. But again, use what works best for you. My older brother never spanked his kids and now they are too old but they sure could use a good spanking right now and they are 20 and 24 yrs old!

JoeChalupa
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Do all of you parents supervise your kids 24/7 when they are out of the house? I see kids riding their bikes all over the neighborhood and I don't see any parents riding or running behind them. I know what you all mean and yes, a 5 yr old should never be outside unsupervised. I'm am still very cautious about letting my youngest play outside and she is 10. My MIL and sister in law say I am way to protective and need to let go. Nah.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I was a handful at a really young age and used to get beat a lot.

Getting beat as a child leads to fond memories as an adult. See fork + Shelly's arm for reference.

mrsmaalox
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Maalox that would be considered abuse. :lol

Yea but now we all have a good laugh reminising about how the mere threat of "The Spatula" kept everyone in line when we were out of the house :lol

desflood
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
This is my issue with the story. Someone who doesn't supervise the kid to the point they can climb on top of a FedEx truck/a camper, etc repeatedly? Check yourself first for being a lazy ass parent before you think about spanking your kid.
I try to cut her a little slack on this - she's alone with four kids and going to school full time while her husband is in Iraq for a year.

Summers
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I am a man, and I had a great father too. So any issues that you think I have with men in my life are perceived. The issues I have are with those who keep pushing the raising of their children on others when the decision to raise your damn kids is a pretty easy one.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think SB or anyone else made this a gender issue. I don't think SB is suggesting parenting is a woman's job--I think he was just responding to this particular story which involves a mother losing her temper.

Shelly
05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I was a handful at a really young age and used to get beat a lot.

Getting beat as a child leads to fond memories as an adult. See fork + Shelly's arm for reference.

:tu

My dad was once a marine and he always used to make us stand at attention when we got in trouble. He made my sister and I do this at a beach once for about 30 minutes while my brother threw rocks at us and some construction workers laughed at us. I think I would have rather had the fork in the arm!

byrontx
05-05-2010, 08:02 PM
What you do with your kid is more important than what you do to them.

How you punish them is less of a predictor of how they will develop than the time you play with them.

05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
:tu

My dad was once a marine and he always used to make us stand at attention when we got in trouble. He made my sister and I do this at a beach once for about 30 minutes while my brother threw rocks at us and some construction workers laughed at us. I think I would have rather had the fork in the arm!

My mom is 5 foot nothing 100 lbs. but she had a mean slap. She would yell half in Italian and half in English, pausing after each word to smack the shit out of me. I don't think standing in the corner would have done much to a child that blew out the doorwall by throwing a potato masher through it or that accidentally, of course, lit the couch on fire.

And some of the chases I can recall like they happened yesterday. I used the double-sided fireplace as my escape route and she used her shoe like a tazer.

I lost more than I won.

Shelly
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
My mom is 5 foot nothing 100 lbs. but she had a mean slap. She would yell half in Italian and half in English, pausing after each word to smack the shit out of me. I don't think standing in the corner would have done much to a child that blew out the doorwall by throwing a potato masher through it or that accidentally, of course, lit the couch on fire.

And some of the chases I can recall like they happened yesterday. I used the double-sided fireplace as my escape route and she used her shoe like a tazer.

I lost more than I won.

Ah--the Italian mothers! My mom is Italian but was born in the states. Her parents were off the boat. My mom and aunt would be afraid to tell my grandmother if they got hurt or sick because it usually resulted in being yelled at or smacked.

Drachen
05-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I don't think SB or anyone else made this a gender issue. I don't think SB is suggesting parenting is a woman's job--I think he was just responding to this particular story which involves a mother losing her temper.

He gave a hypothetical wherein he and some nameless woman have a child and SHE beat the child because of HER bad parenting skills. This is when I started talking about the fact that the man has the role in raising the children.

Stringer_Bell
05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
He gave a hypothetical wherein he and some nameless woman have a child and SHE beat the child because of HER bad parenting skills. This is when I started talking about the fact that the man has the role in raising the children.

I addressed that "role" as starting when the man decides to leave his dick in a woman when he ejaculates without a condom (the creative process). Their needs to be ground rules between the parents on how to discipline the child, all it takes is one parent to say "there won't be any spanking" and that's it doesn't matter how angry the child makes you - respect your woman's wishes and/or hope you have a woman that respects your wishes. You perceived me as telling people what to do with their kids, but I already stated I'd never call anyone out on it.

05-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Ah--the Italian mothers! My mom is Italian but was born in the states. Her parents were off the boat. My mom and aunt would be afraid to tell my grandmother if they got hurt or sick because it usually resulted in being yelled at or smacked.

Yeah, both my parents are boaters so no place was off limits for the beatings to take place. Boaters have no shame and everything is your fault.

I don't remember this, but when my mom used to go shopping at places like KMart, I used to run away from her and hide in the middle of the clothing racks. It took her and two store employees a half an hour to find me. She rag-dolled me right in the middle of the store and my sister got the slap for just for laughing.

Apparently, it was the last time I ever did that.