PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson Does Not Support the Suns’ Stand on Immigration Law

duncan228
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Phil Jackson Does Not Support the Suns’ Stand on Immigration Law (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-philjacksondoesnotsu)
SportingNews

Wow, that Suns news from yesterday sure created quite the brouhaha, huh? It prompted impassioned comments from people on both sides of the issue around the World Wide Web, and to some extent I wish we could all get along and hold hands in a big circle. Cinco de Mayo used to be a time when we could all band together under our shared love of tortilla chips, not argue about where those same delicious treats were made.

Sadly, though, this is still a story, and it must be discussed. Specifically, I’d like to talk about what Phil Jackson said to ESPN.com’s J.A. Adande yesterday. Phil’s the Zen Master and kind soul who believes in the importance of all living things, so he must support the Suns’ actions, right? Not so much (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/15724/phil-jackson-on-his-future-and-leaving-politics-in-the-past):

First Jackson, who has showed lefty leanings in the past, indicated he had no problem with the controversial state Senate Bill 1070.

“Am I crazy, or am I the only one that heard [the legislature] say ‘we just took the United States immigration law and adapted it to our state,’” Jackson said.

I told him they usurped the federal law. “It’s not usurping, it’s just copying it is what they said they did, and then they gave it some teeth to be able to enforce it,” Jackson said. […]

“I don’t think teams should get involved in the political stuff. And I think this one’s still kind of coming out to balance as to how it’s going to be favorably looked upon by our public. If I heard it right the American people are really for stronger immigration laws, if I’m not mistaken. Where we stand as basketball teams, we should let that kind of play out and let the political end of that go where it’s going to go.”

I don’t want to talk about the political specifics of his comments—we’ve had enough discussion about that here lately. Instead, I’d like to focus on that last paragraph, where Phil essentially says that basketball teams should focus on basketball and not make political stands.

In the public eye, Jackson has always been the coach who approaches basketball like it’s about something beyond the game. Whether that involves giving his players books that might affect their lives or just generally approaching them as people rather than simply athletes, he’s been the coach who appears to understand the importance of the world beyond the sport.

So his saying that the Suns should pay attention to what’s happening on the court and let the political landscape take care of itself is surprising. Robert Sarver and his organization are showing an understanding of their social importance, exactly the kind of broader sense of status in the world that Jackson has always supported. You don’t give Derek Fisher a book by Black Panther leader Eldridge Cleaver and expect him to only apply its lessons to basketball.

Look, I know it’s the playoffs, when everyone should be super serious about their mission to win a really cool big gold trophy. But for Phil to make these comments when a team finally took a serious stand in a manner you think he’d support seems hypocritical. No matter your politics, that’s disappointing.

pauls931
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Jesus, Jackson is expanding his mind games to anyone still in the playoffs.

lefty
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
WGAF

LOL Jackson and his "mind games"

dreamcastrocks
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I actually respect Jackson a bit more now.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Phil doesn't have to worry about offending anyone in the fan base like the Spurs or Suns do. I doubt there are any seats at the Staples Center that dirty Mexicans can afford.

lefty
05-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Phil doesn't have to worry about offending anyone in the fan base like the Spurs or Suns do. I doubt there are any seats at the Staples Center that dirty Mexicans can afford.
I'm pretty sure George Lopez was at the Lakers game yesterday

ChrisRichards
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Is that really necessary?

lefty
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Is that really necessary?
He was taking a jab at that racist reporter who called San Antonians dirty Mexicans

Steve Kerr
05-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah except for the whole 300 level that's probably 75% hispanic on any given night :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
He was taking a jab at that recsit reporter who San Antonians dirty Mexicans

Thanks for the assist, ducks.

Cane
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM

http://chicago.metromix.com/content_image/full/843765/560/370

:greedy

Also loves to talk about shit like this on his talk show.

EDIT: And zoom it went over my head as I just saw the last post lol.

lefty
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the assist, ducks.
U're welcome, Mouse

The Franchise
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Who cares what this crippled bitch supports?

The Gemini Method
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I don't know how many of you outside of the Laker Nation have been to Staples, but the stadium (including the workers ;)) are pretty much Latino. Which, I'm sure many who are misguided in their bigotry pretty much chalk up as "Mexican." I have a hard time not trying to check out some of the Latinas that frequent Laker games.

noob cake
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I heard that Kome banged a 17 year old Mexican girl back in the days.

The Gemini Method
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM

That was Karl Malone...

noob cake
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
That was Karl Malone...

Lemme cite some Wikipedia

In November 1999, 21-year-old Bryant met 17-year-old Vanessa Laine while she was working as a background dancer on the Tha Eastsidaz music video "G'd Up".

Don't tell me that Kome didn't try to get into her pants the next day.

Besides, we all know that Karl is a rapist. He one-upped Kome by impregnating a 13 year old. Christ!

The Gemini Method
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Lemme cite some Wikipedia

Don't tell me that Kome didn't try to get into her pants the next day.

Besides, we all know that Karl is a rapist. He one-upped Kome by impregnating a 13 year old. Christ!

Good ol Wiki...

Well, no justifying his lust for the 17-year old Mexican, now is there? The Mailman seemed to deliver a little too young though...

ElNono
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Somebody give Phil a...

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/corona.jpg

EmptyMan
05-05-2010, 06:49 PM
lol @ Cali turning into Mexico

lol @ all the dumdumamericants crying about racism

lol @ some sports writer riding his race card high horse and not understanding the substance behind the fluffy manufactured smoke and mirrors

I was never for the natl. i.d. but fuck it. Let's do it. Ask every single person if they are a citizen. inb4 citizen profiling

SomeCallMeTim
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM

That was Karl Malone...

Wait, Kobe banged Karl Malone?

supervietnamlakers
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Wait, Kobe banged Karl Malone?
:lol

DMX7
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Phil Jackson? Isn't this the guy who actually wore political campaign buttons on the bench at Lakers games?