PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts Before Game 2 - Spurs vs. Suns 2010

timvp
05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
-I continue to think that the right move is to replace George Hill with Tony Parker in the starting lineup. That puts the matchups in the Spurs favor from the opening tip. Hill's athleticism can be better utilized against Phoenix's bench unit, anyways. I haven't heard a single argument against the adjustment that makes sense. Parker's penetration against Nash is the best weapon the Spurs have this series. Not maximizing that advantage would be foolish.

-No matter what the opening lineup is, Pop needs to play Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili together as much as possible. The Suns just don't have the defenders to guard both at the same time. In Game 1, the Spurs outscored the Suns by 18 points in the 26 minutes Parker and Ginobili were on the court together. In the other 22 minutes, the Suns outscored the Spurs by 27 points. That stat is startling yet not surprising.

-I'm generally not a fan of small ball but I don't mind it too much against these Suns. Other than Amare Stoudemire, the Suns don't have a big who can really take advantage of a smaller defender. I prefer normal lineups but if the Suns go small, I don't have a problem with Pop responding with a small lineup. Small ball can better defend three-pointers and these Suns are most dangerous when getting looks from beyond the arc.

-I remain convinced that the Suns will win at least one game this series due solely to their ability to get red hot on threes. The scary thing about the Game 1 loss is the Suns' role players were pretty darn bad. Grant Hill, Channing Frye, Jared Dudley and Goran Dragic were only 7-for-23. If their role players get it going, the Suns can easily put 120 points on the board ... and the Spurs really don't have the firepower to match.

-The Spurs really do have to pay extra attention to Jason Richardson. Not only because he's on fire but because his success comes off of defensive mistakes. If your transition defense isn't crisp, he makes you pay with dunks or transition threes. If you rotate slowly, he's the player on the weakside who will get the open shot. But if you do your work early and stay tight on him, you can take advantage of the fact that he's not a very good dribbler or passer.

-Can Keith Bogans step up? Pop invested a lot of time in him during the regular season. In theory, Bogans could defend anyone from Nash to Frye. If he can knock down some threes on the offensive end, he could really be helpful.

-The Spurs really do need to get this game. A loss tonight pretty much dooms San Antonio's chances. These Suns are built to a steal a game or two. It'd be a monumental challenge to beat them four times in five games.

phxspurfan
05-05-2010, 04:26 PM
-I continue to think that the right move is to replace George Hill with Tony Parker in the starting lineup. That puts the matchups in the Spurs favor from the opening tip. Hill's athleticism can be better utilized against Phoenix's bench unit, anyways. I haven't heard a single argument against the adjustment that makes sense. Parker's penetration against Nash is the best weapon the Spurs have this series. Not maximizing that advantage would be foolish.

I agree with this. I would also caution Sun fans to look for a bounce-back game from George Hill. This is, after all, the guy who earned one (1) NBA All-Defensive First Team vote. :lobt:

Muser
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks :tu, i'm staying up to watch this one, and I have a good record when I do.

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Timvp,

Don't you think Spurs should try to exploit the Jefferson matchup on offense? Most specifically from 15 feet out or on the block.

The entire game the Suns put Hill or Dudley on Manu or Tony. Which left Nash, Barbosa, or Richardson on Jefferson.

I believe the Spurs could benefit going to Jefferson early and often during this scenario, which would ultimately cause the Suns to double. Leaving Manu and Tony having the opportunity to create against a shifting defense if Jefferson reads the double well.

I really think Spurs should exploit this match-up. I was really surprised the Spurs didn't go to it one time in game 1.

duncan228
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Hope the swelling in Duncan's knee went down.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
timvp, you should have sent your thoughts to Popovich.

All I have to say is: if George Hill starts and the Spurs come out stagnant again, I will be furious at Pop, for he will be as big of a reason for losing this series (if they do) as any other factor.

Dex
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't like this matchup with the Suns at all. They've always been a dangerous opponent, but I think that the edges that the Spurs held over them previously (three-point shooting, Bruce Bowen's defense, a rock-solid Tim Duncan) just don't seem to be there anymore. Right now it's grit vs. guns, and the Suns have the guns to go on a lot of runs. I know this is sounding like a Dr. Seuss book, but what I'm trying to say is, I don't like it.

The Phoenix Suns are gunning for the Spurs this round, just like the Spurs were gunning for the Mavericks in the last round. They want redemption, and that is going to give them extra drive. If San Antonio does not show up with some impeccable efforts, this is going to be a rough series.

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Well I thought everybody that saw a game in Phoenix already knew Pop will start TP in the 2nd game. Pops CIA now puts that theory away.
If Hill would survive and TP would be coming for George off the bench then Nash would be desroyed by much fresher Parker.
Still Pop can give the theory a shot.

Although I would prefer starting Parker and Hill would not be intimidated by that IMO. Blackjack thinks it can spoil Hills confidence. Frankly it will build him.

Spurs needs to control the pace. There were so many areas the spurs played badly but the Suns team also have reserves to play better. They can make much more devastating runs.

Now it also will come to Duncan on a low block or his overal play. Suns doing a good job wth spurs setting 4down. Spurs can take adventage of it by making the guards slash. Inside outside does not work.

austN Spur
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I think if hill can find a way to take nash to the basket, and get into the lane he can continue to start. you could tell he was disappointed in himself because nash went off, and he'll be determined to get the job done. with that said. Tony will and probably should start. can you say Pressure

:flag:

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't like this matchup with the Suns at all. They've always been a dangerous opponent, but I think that the edges that the Spurs held over them previously (three-point shooting, Bruce Bowen's defense, a rock-solid Tim Duncan) just don't seem to be there anymore. Right now it's grit vs. guns, and the Suns have the guns to go on a lot of runs. I know this is sounding like a Dr. Seuss book, but what I'm trying to say is, I don't like it.

The Phoenix Suns are gunning for the Spurs this round, just like the Spurs were gunning for the Mavericks in the last round. They want redemption, and that is going to give them extra drive. If San Antonio does not show up with some impeccable efforts, this is going to be a rough series.

Suns prime revange was in 2007

timvp
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree with this. I would also caution Sun fans to look for a bounce-back game from George Hill. This is, after all, the guy who earned one (1) NBA All-Defensive First Team vote. :lobt:I expect Hill to bounce back offensively. He was doing decently on the offensive end until Nash totally ate his lunch. If Hill doesn't have to defend Nash too much, he should be okay offensively.

But honestly, I don't want to see much of Hill on Nash. Hill hasn't defended elite point guards well at any point in his career. I doubt he'll suddenly figure it out now.

What about giving Temple a shot?Not quite that desperate yet. But if Nash destroys Hill again, Pop may have to turn to Temple for his defense.

Timvp,

Don't you think Spurs should try to exploit the Jefferson matchup on offense? Most specifically from 15 feet out or on the block.I'm not a fan of forcefeeding RJ. It just hasn't worked consistently enough. Especially on the post ... RJ has never been good on the post and that hasn't changed this season.

But I do support RJ getting more touches. When RJ is getting touches, that usually means there's good ball movement. With touches in the flow of the offense, RJ should get plenty of opportunities to put points on the board. However, with all the other holes available, going out and trying to force a big game out of RJ would be a mistake.

Hope the swelling in Duncan's knee went down.Good point. His mobility is very key ... especially when both teams are playing small and Duncan has to defend Amare.

All I have to say is: if George Hill starts and the Spurs come out stagnant again, I will be furious at Pop, for he will be as big of a reason for losing this series (if they do) as any other factor.
In the playoffs, it usually takes at least two games for Pop to make major adjustments. I'd say it's 50/50 right now regarding whether TP will start.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Great post :tu

DAF86
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
-Can Keith Bogans step up?

I bet he can't. I really hope Pop isn't thinking about giving Bogans any playing time.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not a fan of forcefeeding RJ. It just hasn't worked consistently enough. Especially on the post ... RJ has never been good on the post and that hasn't changed this season.

But I do support RJ getting more touches. When RJ is getting touches, that usually means there's good ball movement. With touches in the flow of the offense, RJ should get plenty of opportunities to put points on the board. However, with all the other holes available, going out and trying to force a big game out of RJ would be a mistake.

In the playoffs, it usually takes at least two games for Pop to make major adjustments. I'd say it's 50/50 right now regarding whether TP will start.

1. I completely agree with the RJ part. He simply isn't that great of a scorer when creating on his own, he needs a guy who can find him in ways that he is efficient, and it's no wonder he's stated he plays better with Manu on the floor as well. I also get nervous when he's taking lots of jumpers, unless he's making them. I can't ever stress enough to get confidence going early by getting easier buckets first via slashing...if you notice, Manu's huge games usually start with him playing aggressive from the get go and driving the lane, not starting off with a slew of outside jumpers.

2nd part: I have a feeling he will start Hill simply based on what I gathered from his last interview at practice. But if Nash starts torching early, I would expect Pop to pull Hill out much quicker this time around.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I bet he can't. I really hope Pop isn't thinking about giving Bogans any playing time.

The fact is you need at least an X amount of players in rotation in the playoffs, and that simply means a few of our scrubs have to play. And Bogans will at least defend, so as he's not a great player or anything, it makes more sense than Mason...

timvp
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

A couple of the scrubs have to play. The Spurs can't go with a four-man rotation.

awktalk
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM

The way to get RJ more touches is for TD to be more decisive after he receives the entry pass on the low block. We don't run designed plays for RJ. I am still befuddled why in game 1 Tim would receive the entry, and then look over his shoulder for 6 seconds and finally put the ball on the floor. It totally throws our offense out of sync and gets us into late clocks and bad shots when he does that. They aren't doubling the entry they're doubling the first dribble. So don't stand there and survey what's happening. Make your move, draw the double, and kick it or dump it to a slasher.

benefactor
05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
There isn't many other options unless the Spurs want to see the wing rotation worn out by the end of the series. He didn't do anything outstanding but he wasn't a liability in the first game either. As long as it continues like that I'm for giving him spot minutes to allow the rest of the perimeter players to rest.

I <3 SPURS
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Spurs need to insert Parker into the starting 5 and take out Georgie, also insert Bogans for Jefferson. Dice, Duncan, Bogans, Ginobili, Parker and have Jefferson and Hill come off the bench. THat way Jefferson gets more touches and hopefully becomes effective in the series.

G-Nob
05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Coy is how Pop plays between games. Everyone knows TP is the starter, even the Suns. The problem is Pop may think to not start him to see how the team adjusts with better transition d and see if Hill can get off to a better start. If nash starts off strong again, we may see TP 3-4 mins into the game. I think doing that would seriously spoil the rhythm of getting off to a good start mentally for the spurs.

Common sense points to Parker starting.

sunsfan1968
05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
We all know Popovich makes adjustments... I'm a Suns fan and I know this. I see the Spurs winning this game but I could be and would LOVE to be wrong. I know how good you guys are at executing your offense and playing good defense. Having played basketball my whole life I love watching Parker and Ginobili slice up the defense and Duncan make crafty moves down low. The key for you guys is to get a 4th guy going whether it's Jefferson or Hill or Blair somebody. Because I don't think anybody besides Nash Richardson and Stoudemire played well for us offensively HIll did as well as he could defensively.

I'm looking for Dudley and Frye and Dragic to score more this game help out the Suns Big 3.

Is it game time yet?

DAF86
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
A couple of the scrubs have to play. The Spurs can't go with a four-man rotation.

What about an 8 man rotation like Pop used with Dallas?

And I know Mason has been shit but if I have to choose between Bogans and him, I would rather play Mason, at least I have seen him hit threes at a respectable rate during a period on his career.

scottspurs
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I really don't think this is a must win, but it would be a huge momentum swing. I think the spurs can take care of business at home and when in Phoenix in game 5 or 7.

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM

And I know Mason has been shit but if I have to choose between Bogans and him, I would rather play Mason, at least I have seen him hit threes at a respectable rate during a period on his career.

You haven't seen spurs game in like six months have you?

Dex
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Pop went nine deep against the Mavericks. I don't think there was a game where either Mason or Bogans didn't at least play spot minutes.

There were times where they were on the floor together, which is absolutely inexcusable barring injury or foul trouble.

scottspurs
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Winning tonight is as simple as playing better defense. The spurs have to contain Steve Nash. There is nothing wrong with the spurs offense other than the fact they need to feed Tim Duncan more and go to Tony Parker earlier.

awktalk
05-05-2010, 05:48 PM

We know Mason has been horrible in the 12 playoff games he has played with us. But somebody has got to step up and do some scoring. Mason's last game against Phoenix in the reg season looked like this:

Apr 7 @PHO
Min: 31:18
FGs: 7/14
3s: 4/9
Pts: 18
Boards: 6
Assists: 1
Turnovers: 0

Obviously we don't need 31 minutes, but if we get half of what we got in that game we will be fine. It's incredibly frustrating watching him suck so profoundly, but I don't blame Pop if he keeps trying to get him rolling, especially in the first half.

sunsfan1968
05-05-2010, 05:51 PM
As a Suns fan I fully expect George Hill to have a bigger impact than he did in Game 1. He's the player I'm most worried about followed by Blair(if he dominates the boards) followed by Jefferson....sad he hasn't fit in like you guys thought. I think he'd do well on the Suns runnin the break in transition

DAF86
05-05-2010, 06:10 PM

Pop went nine deep against the Mavericks. I don't think there was a game where either Mason or Bogans didn't at least play spot minutes.

There were times where they were on the floor together, which is absolutely inexcusable barring injury or foul trouble.

VS Dallas-

In game one: Bogans 16 minutes, - 12 / Mason 9 minutes, + 1 / We lost

In game two: Bogans didn't play / Mason 6 minutes, - 1 / We won

In game three: Bogans didn't play / Mason 1 minute, +4 / We won

In game four: Bogans 6 minutes, +3 / Mason didn't play / We won

In game five: Everybody played and played bad.

In game six: Bogans 7 minutes, 0 / Mason didn't play / We won

As you can see, in every game we won we basically played an eight or seven men rotation. I don't consider playing 5 minutes per game being part of the rotation, if we play Bogans or Mason more than a few minutes per game, they'll hurt us eventually.

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
We know Mason has been horrible in the 12 playoff games he has played with us. But somebody has got to step up and do some scoring. Mason's last game against Phoenix in the reg season looked like this:

Apr 7 @PHO
Min: 31:18
FGs: 7/14
3s: 4/9
Pts: 18
Boards: 6
Assists: 1
Turnovers: 0

Obviously we don't need 31 minutes, but if we get half of what we got in that game we will be fine. It's incredibly frustrating watching him suck so profoundly, but I don't blame Pop if he keeps trying to get him rolling, especially in the first half.

Masons numbers since January 31st= 29/123 (23.5%) from the distance.

Now you know Mason has been horrible for the past 3 months, opposed to just 12 playoff games.

How does that get you to think he can all of a sudden produce in this series?

DAF86
05-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Unlike Bogans, Mason has showed that he can be a reliable three point shooter and he's more than due a good game.

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Unlike Bogans, Mason has showed that he can be a reliable three point shooter and he's more than due a good game.

:lol

He's been due for almost 13 weeks. Give me a break.

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Not to mention Bogans is a career 35% 3 point shooter. That is reliable btw.

awktalk
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't say I'm "thinking" as much as I am "hoping". I just don't think that we can survive the entire playoffs with a 7-8 man rotation. I guess you could make the argument that Bonner and Bogans can fill the minutes and extend the rotation to 9 players while Mason is glued to the end of the bench, but that sure doesn't seem like a winning formula. I'm afraid that in order to win a championship, Mason will have to get going.

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
We know Mason has been horrible in the 12 playoff games he has played with us. But somebody has got to step up and do some scoring.

If you would ask me 3 months ago - I would bet that mason is the first guy down in deep rotation where you can go and find some production on offense.
Right now he is so bad that I can't find a word describing his play. Not only ofense, but defense was even worse.
And you can't put so bad guy on defense against those Suns.

Three bees - Blair, Bonner and Bogans needs to step up.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Dice is basically open on everyplay he needs to knock those shot's down!!!!

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd even play Temple ahead of Mason right now. That will at least give Hill more energy on offense as Temple can expend all his energy guarding Nash (Which I thought he did quite well in 23 minutes of action last game in the regular season.)

elbamba
05-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Timvp,

Don't you think Spurs should try to exploit the Jefferson matchup on offense? Most specifically from 15 feet out or on the block.

The entire game the Suns put Hill or Dudley on Manu or Tony. Which left Nash, Barbosa, or Richardson on Jefferson.

I believe the Spurs could benefit going to Jefferson early and often during this scenario, which would ultimately cause the Suns to double. Leaving Manu and Tony having the opportunity to create against a shifting defense if Jefferson reads the double well.

I really think Spurs should exploit this match-up. I was really surprised the Spurs didn't go to it one time in game 1.

Amen. The biggest mistake that we made in the last game was not forcing the issue with Jefferson. We need to be pushing the ball to him and letting him drive to the hoop. The Suns do not have a shot blocker, they have guys who want to take charges. Spurs have to take advantage of this.

silverblk mystix
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Temple CAN guard Nash pretty well...it just sux that he is a rookie because Pop won't play him...

but if given a chance I believe his height and quickness would bother nash---plus temple looks like he competes on every play...

damn pop---don't be so safe

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Pop played Temple in the 4th vs. Dallas and he was pretty bad..I'm in favor of seeing him ahead of Mason too, but the only matchup that he could play would be Nash..I'm sure Pop will give him a little run if Nash is unstoppable again tonight..

Anybody ahead of Mason at this point though..there's really no reason for him to play..

beachwood
05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
TP not starting...

http://twitter.com/spurs

DAF86
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
TP not starting...

WTF??? A big mistake imho.

makedamnsure
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I was about to ask if anyone knew if there were any tickets left for game 3 but then I saw that post about TP not starting...

awktalk
05-05-2010, 07:20 PM
TP not starting...

Wow, I'm pretty surprised. Hope Pop's gamble pays off.

StoneBuddha
05-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Hope the swelling in Duncan's knee went down.

More details please. Did this come out in an interview or is this conjecture?

Blackjack
05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
TP not starting...

I figured Pop would do it. It Doesn't surprise me one bit from what I've heard after the game: "Nash really caught us of guard. He usually doesn't look to get his that early.," was heard from more than one coach and player.

I'm for Hill starting, but I'm a proponent of it being with Parker. Having said that, and I've made my feelings known on what I'd lean towards doing, I'm not incensed by this. If Pop got into George the way most would expect after that performance, or at least made it perfectly clear how they would be playing Nash as a driver to take away his layups, Hill's capable of holding down the fort without leaving the mess they had after the opening minutes of Game 1; the lineup and approach failed for a game but it very well could succeed in the end if their execution is crisp and they pay attention to detail.

Again, not starting Parker goes against what I believe is the best, most prudent thing to do ... but I'm not ready to say what Pop's attempting to do can't be done.

TD 21
05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson need to play plenty of minutes together on the perimeter, particularly when Nash is in. Then they can't hide him defensively. I don't see them putting him on Ginobili period, but if, as per usual he can't stay with Parker and they want to make a switch, he'll have to guard Jefferson, who he'd be physically over-matched against.

Since we're inevitably going to see plenty of small ball in this series, Pop can't lose sight of the fact that McDyess is, at minimum, a top six player on this team, the second best big man on this team and the best option to defend Stoudemire. What I'm saying is his minutes can't get squeezed just because of small ball. But Bonner's can. Him (and Mason) have had more than enough chances. While they offer spacing in theory, they don't in reality, since neither can make a shot. Time to bench them and go down to an eight man rotation.

Parker not only needs to start (why wait another game to do this? That could end up costing the Spurs in the end), but play around 40 minutes. No more of this mid-thirties nonsense.

DAF86
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Parker not only needs to start (why wait another game to do this? That could end up costing the Spurs in the end), but play around 40 minutes. No more of this mid-thirties nonsense.

Agreed.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Pop's a fuckin moron for not starting Parker...honestly if we don't come out red-hot and Nash shows any signs of starting a run---> bring in Parker, even if it's been 90 seconds into the game.

It's tough to come back when down a good margin in the playoffs, even though the Spurs were able to do it last night. So they should avoid that completely with Parker, but w/e Pop has his plan and we'll see how it works.

Blackjack
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Although I would prefer starting Parker and Hill would not be intimidated by that IMO. Blackjack thinks it can spoil Hills confidence. Frankly it will build him.

What I believe is, if you put Hill on the bench and use him in a fashion that has him only really playing when he's got a favorable matchup on the defensive end ... that's a mistake -- he's been their fourth best player and he needs to be on the court, regardless.

But it would also have a detrimental effect to Hill's psyche. Pop raves about him all year and shows the faith in him to allow him to start in Parkers place (not becaue he's better but because it was better for the team -- it's the trust and faith that he was shown, though) and all of a sudden when the games mean the most you're going to tell him to go back to being a lesser role player? That he's only good enough to play when the matchup is favorable?

That's just not an approach that's going to benefit George in any way.

I'm just not in favor of jerking Hill around, reducing his role and responsibility or having him wonder if he's going to start or not. His minutes should be comparable to the Big Three's and not reduced to situational.

I do believe he should be utilized as more of a 2-guard in this series and that he and Tony should be able to get out in the open court to offset or create an advantage with their speed, which could allow for the mismatch on the other end, though. The Spurs need Hill ... they can't risk losing him.

Capt Bringdown
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM

If Jaren Jackson can help us slay the mighty Lakers, I hope Mason can help us win a playoff series. And Bonner to a much lesser extent. At least Mason had a very brief productive spell in a Spurs uniform, hitting some regular-season game winners for us. I can't ever recall Bonner ever doing anything besides having a decent game every 6 months.

It's a long shot to say the least, but we're in "gonna take a miracle" mode anyway, so why not dream big?

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
What I believe is, if you put Hill on the bench and use him in a fashion that has him only really playing when he's got a favorable matchup on the defensive end ... that's a mistake -- he's been their fourth best player and he needs to be on the court, regardless.

But it would also have a detrimental effect to Hill's psyche. Pop raves about him all year and shows the faith in him to allow him to start in Parkers place (not becaue he's better but because it was better for the team -- it's the trust and faith that he was shown, though) and all of a sudden when the games mean the most you're going to tell him to go back to being a lesser role player? That he's only good enough to play when the matchup is favorable?

That's just not an approach that's going to benefit George in any way.

I'm just not in favor of jerking Hill around, reducing his role and responsibility or having him wonder if he's going to start or not. His minutes should be comparable to the Big Three's and not reduced to situational.

I do believe he should be utilized as more of a 2-guard in this series and that he and Tony should be able to get out in the open court to offset or create an advantage with their speed, which could allow for the mismatch on the other end, though. The Spurs need Hill ... they can't risk losing him.

I don't think you can reduce his role much.
You just put him in a situation that suits team better.
All in all George in gonna play 30+ minutes

05-05-2010, 07:57 PM
parker really should be starting. nash will just get another free pass on defense in the beginning and get in rhythm. unless pop ripped hill into attacking relentlessly, this will be bad. even if hill attacks relentlessly, he can't do it as well as parker.

timvp
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
TP not starting is a mistake.

Hopefully the Spurs can overcome.

Otherwise, the adjustment will be a game late and a dollar short.

05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
actually on second thought, pop allowing hill to start speaks volumes. pulling hill might just destroy his confidence for the rest of the series. pop knows the spurs need hill to be the reliable fourth option so he's willing to risk nash going off a second time to try to maintain hill's confidence from the mavs series.

Brazil
05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
TP not starting...

not surprising actually, Pop said earlier TP started the second half because Hill was in fouls trouble, later TP said he thought Hill would start and gave him advice for how to work Nash.

AnthonyM
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Parker not starting....wtfffff

Dex
05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Pop flying in the face of convention, once again.

Doesn't surprise me. Pop isn't going to adjust off of one game.

I'm all for sticking with your convictions and all, but come on. If there was a time and place to start Tony, it is now.

polandprzem
05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
TP not starting is a mistake.

Hopefully the Spurs can overcome.

Otherwise, the adjustment will be a game late and a dollar short.

Sir Charles is all over it "I don't knpw what Pop is doing ..."

newacc
05-05-2010, 08:08 PM
They announced it on pregame and Barkley was shocked. Even if GHill works, this was stupid.