PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter: Was racism to blame for Shaq not receiving MVP?

SpursFanDan
05-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Well was it? I think its ludicris.

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Well was it? I think its ludicris.

Why can't it be Eminem? That's racist!!!

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
They can't be serious.

LilMissSPURfect
05-09-2005, 04:29 PM
no!

mookie2001
05-09-2005, 04:29 PM
well id say no
usually the MVP is black
ESPN is so lame

its like when they kept asking lebrons rookie year if he could live up to all the hype...
the hype that they were 98% responsible for

MadDog73
05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
OMG. Yeah, that's why Shaq came in second....

Look, the MVP award is stupid. Not one person can be judged the MVP of the whole league. Maybe one team...

I can guess that the rationale went like this: Last year, PHX sucked. This year, they're number one. Last year Heat sucked. This year, they're number two. Edge: Nash.

Nash gets injured, PHX goes back to sucking.

Shaq gets injured, Wade continues to dominate.

Edge: Nash.

I personally think Wade is more of the MVP, but Shaq and Wade split votes (I guess), while Amare ain't crap without Nash. So, Nash snuck in and got it.

A bigger question more than Racism, is:

"Why is the NBA against Centers and Power Forwards?" :lol

ducks
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
espn is stupid

violentkitten
05-09-2005, 04:38 PM
racism made kobe rape that chick

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Good column here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/050509

MadDog73
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Another perspective:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050509
Court Order: Shaq is your MVP
By Skip Bayless

The problem with this opinion – or fact – is that it casts me as a Nash-bashing villain in many wide eyes.

So before we proceed another dribble, let me be very clear about this: Steve Nash had a wonderful season. In fact, he got more out of his natural ability than any other NBA player got out of his. I get a great kick out of watching Nash and his Phoenix Suns run and stun. Nash was the NBA's Catalyst of the Year.

But the league's Most Valuable Player?

That's more laughable than Shaquille O'Neal's many hilarious one-liners.

Shaq was the MVP, as much for his mature leadership as his numbers (22.9 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.3 blocks). Shaq Diesel should have blown Steve's little Nash Rambler off the voting road. Yet Nash somehow prevailed by the fourth-closest margin in league history – 1,066 points to 1,032, including 68-58 in first-place votes.

What were those 71 voters thinking? (Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan and Amare Stoudemire each got a first-place vote – with two for AI).

Shaq is basketball's most dominant player – and has been since Michael Jordan left Chicago in 1998. Yet in 13 seasons, Shaq has won only one MVP, in 2000.

That's funny-sad.

Shaq was traded by a team – Kobe Bryant's Lakers – that fell from Western Conference champion and prohibitive Finals favorite to 34-48 and 11 games out of a playoff spot. Shaq carried the Miami Heat from 42-40 last season to the best record in the Eastern Conference.

Nash left Dallas for Phoenix, which became only the second team to go from a 50-loss season to a 60-plus-win season, at 62-20. Yet those who have been paying close attention know Dallas is a little better without Nash. Dallas no longer relies on a two-man offense (Nash and Dirk Nowitzki). And Dallas' perimeter defense is much quicker and stronger and mentally tougher without Nash.

Ask the Houston Rockets.

Case closed.

At 7 foot 1 and 325 or so in-shape pounds, Shaq changes games on offense and defense.

Listed at 6-3, with the sinewy frame of a marathon runner, Nash is merely the quarterback of a flying circus of an offense. Nash can be a liability on defense. A point guard who can't cover scoring point guards should not be the MVP.

In 2003, San Antonio's Tony Parker went for 19 on Nash – in a quarter. This season, as the Spurs were blowing out the Suns in San Antonio, Parker was taking such advantage of Nash that Spurs broadcaster (and former Spurs star) Sean Elliott said: "This is embarrassing."

So, occasionally, is Shaq's free-throw shooting. Yet he does seem to make the most important ones.

Nash deserves to be first team All-NBA. Shaq deserved his second MVP.

Yet Nash's coach, Mike D'Antoni, deserves to be NBA coach of the year. D'Antoni risked the ridicule of rival coaches and GMs by basically saying from the start of the season: "My team is best when we go 'small' with Amare Stoudemire as our 'center' and Shawn Marion as our 'power forward' and we let Steve run our break and we shoot 3s and concentrate on outscoring our opponents."
Nash averaged only 15.5 points. Yet he led the league with 11.5 assists – and his Suns led the league with 110 points a game and led in 3-point shooting.

Then again, how many of Nash's assists came off fast-break opportunities – off alley-oop dunks or spot-up three-on-one 3s? Half?

Nash was the NBA equivalent of the Heisman Trophy winner who puts up sensational numbers in a run-and-shoot offense. As terrific as Nash was, he was partly a product of a Suns solar system around which sharpshooting athletes revolve.

Nash isn't even the best player on his team. If, hypothetically, you gave other teams the chance to take Nash or Stoudemire just for next season, most GMs surely would take Stoudemire. He's a 6-10, shot-blocking, court-running force.

But given a choice between Stoudemire and Shaq for next season, all GMs would take Shaq.

Yes, Shaq's team was a little better when he was hurt than Nash's was when he was out. But do not underestimate the confidence Shaq already had inspired in his teammates. Ever since the Lakers dumped – sorry, traded – Shaq for the insulting price of Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant, this man has been on a mission to create a championship team in Miami.

He has done so on and off the court.

The double-teams he demands have created game-to-game star-making opportunities for spare parts named Damon Jones and Udonis Haslem. And no way Dwyane Wade, as great as he will be, would already be considered a superstar without Shaq showing him the way.

Also laughable has been the notion that Wade has become Miami's most valuable player. Please. The reason this team played so well without Shaq is that he has taught all these guys how to win. Into their locker room and lives walked a giant of a man who had finally dedicated himself to getting into the best shape of his life – a leader who now takes winning far more seriously than he takes himself.

Shaquille O'Neal is now the NBA's funniest and wisest interview. His "Godfather" analogy was the quote of the year. He compared Kobe to Sonny Corleone: "Too dumb to be in control, but he will always do whatever it takes to be in control." Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway to Fredo: "He thinks he's smart, but he's really not." And Wade to Michael: "A very mature, humble guy."

Deep down, every Miami player now thinks: We have Shaq and you don't.

So how did Nash win MVP?

In his Sunday column, Miami Herald columnist Dan LeBatard raised the race question: Did voters favor Nash – even subliminally – because he's white? LeBatard drew no conclusion.

Yet so many of the voters are not white that I don't buy racial bias. Sure, the league office enjoys having a white star win MVP because a majority of the ticket buyers are white. But that isn't why he won.

Sure, Nash is a good guy and a locker-room favorite of reporters of all colors. And yes, his soccer-style header pass to Stoudemire in the NBA dunk contest won lots of hearts. But it shouldn't have won him MVP.

No, the only bias I suspect is Giant Bias. Deep down, voters consider Shaq such a freakishly gifted dancing bear of a man – so big, so good – that he could win MVP every season. After all, he already has won three rings and three Finals MVPs.

So when a delightful little overachiever overachieved to the max, some voters thought, "Hey, why not someone new and different?"

When Shaq put it on cruise control late in the season, and Nash's Suns shifted into "Star Wars"-style hyperspace, 68 voters had their excuse.

Shaq reacted beautifully. Asked whether he's distraught, he went into his mock-"Desperate Housewives" breakdown. Then he graciously congratulated Nash.

But here's the punch line: As if the Big Fella needed any more motivation, 71 voters just gave it to him.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Good column here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/050509

The funny thing about that article is on page 1 they have Speedy Claxton being dominated by Jason Kidd, then on page 2 they have Speedy Claxton being dominated by Steve Nash.

Horry For 3!
05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
It was racism for Shaq not getting it? That is lame! Lamest excuse i've ever heard used.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-09-2005, 05:00 PM
It was racism for Shaq not getting it? That is lame! Lamest excuse i've ever heard used.

Perhaps not Racism, but to me its utter stupidity.

I hardly agree with espn guys but Greg Anthony said something the other day that totally rang true:

This guy is easily the most dominant player in the game ever. Ever. He's the most dominant player in the game, yet he only has 1 mvp trophy. That, to me, makes no sense.

And it doesn't to me either.

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 05:02 PM
It could have gone either way and been justified. This reminds me a lot of the Kidd/Duncan debate in 2002, only with a different result.

While there's no formula for the MVP, I've always thought it was meant for the most outstanding player of the season. Not the best overall player, not the player with the best stats, and not the player whose team made the biggest improvement. I've also never bought the "team was better when he was injured" argument, because missed games should count AGAINST a player, not for.

Anyway, that's why I don't agree with columns like the one Skip Bayless wrote, because he's bringing up 2003 moments and the success of former teams compared to their success while said player was on their team. Neither of which has anything to do with the 2005 season. You can't argue that Dallas is better simply because they got rid of Nash, because they gained so many other players that the entire look of the team has changed. You can't argue based on the Lakers' slide because they had a completely different team (and coach) this year as well.

The Phoenix Suns were the biggest story in the NBA during the regular season and Steve Nash was the player that made everything work. The same could be said about Shaq, but I think it came down to Nash being the bigger story this season. Another factor may have been the Heat being an Eastern Conference team, combined with their ho-hum record against Western Conference opponents.

alamo50
05-09-2005, 05:02 PM
ESPN should be fined.

Bandit2981
05-09-2005, 05:04 PM
greg anthony is guilty of double-speak. once they had a topic on fastbreak why tim duncan would NOT win the MVP this season, and anthony said it was because of 2 words: manu ginobili. so, if manu hinders duncans chances, why doesnt the same ring true for dwayne wade and shaq? no one complained about shaq not winning the mvp when he was with the lakers because kobe was there, and now he is basically with the eastern conference's version of the lakers. a team that in the eastern conference still couldnt manage a better record than the suns out west. both are deserving, but nash is the rightful winner.

IX_Equilibrium
05-09-2005, 05:08 PM
This was on Sportscenter? When?

I am watching the 5PM edition now

ducks
05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
get over the color of skin idiots

SpursFanDan
05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
keep watching it then.. I saw it on a promo for the 5 o'clock edition

ducks
05-09-2005, 05:12 PM
racism made kobe rape that chick

get a grip

Cant_Be_Faded
05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
the fact of the matter is, steve nash is good. real good. But he has 2 other all stars with him....

The guys who says dwyane wade is an all star and is the real heat mvp are guilty of kobe-loving, because you guys are the same people who maintained kobe was the real clutch laker and the real reason the lakers were dominant.

Steve nash has guys on his team that are proven to be able to put up mad numbers without him. He just made them alot better. The heat with Dwyane wade made it to the 2nd round last year, and its just as arguable a fact that Lamar Odom was the biggest reason instead of wade (not counting his game winner that was series 1 game 1 i believe)

Shaq is just going to use this to make him roll over that entire minor-league eastern conference now.

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
The MVP award is crap virtually every year. Shaq's going to get it next year, regardless of whether he deserves it.

ducks
05-09-2005, 05:16 PM
shaq could easily be 70 pounds heavier next year especially if he gets his extension and worthless

Obstructed_View
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
shaq could easily be 70 pounds heavier next year especially if he gets his extension and worthless
And as long as he plays more than 72 games and his numbers don't drop he'll win MVP.

EDIT: Unless the media adopts another sweetheart next year like LeBron.

iminlakerland
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
SC get over yourselves, and stop trying to create a story

Thanks!

foodie2
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Why can't it be Eminem? That's racist!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dcole50
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
hahah, this is ridiculous.

Samr
05-09-2005, 05:44 PM
pft! That silly ESPN. Always trying to hold a fat man down, I tells ya!

SouthernFried
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
When was the last time a White Guy got MVP?

Mebbe ESPN is using Van Gundy's sources.

T Park
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Dirk Nowitzki will win it next year.

Watch...

SpursFanDan
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Nash.

IX_Equilibrium
05-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Dan Le Batard (the guy who wrotoe the column that spurned the story on ESPN) is a fucking idiot. He obviously wrote this controversial piece to get in the headlines.

I blame ESPN also for even reporting this garbage.

theballaplaya
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Dat Nigga Shaq got KKK'd. Sheyitt.

ALVAREZ6
05-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Based on the previous MVP award winners, I don't think they are racist at all......BTW, who was the last white guy to win MVP?(not including nash)

sickdsm
05-09-2005, 07:50 PM
ESPN is like MTV. Everyone claims to hate what they do (never play music, create BS stories that have a different sponser for every gimic they do) but everyone still flocks to them.

Get with it, ESPN sucks.

Its rediculous that Shaq only has one MVP. so that should end the discussion right there. was it racism all these years?

Skip is a retard too.

Das Texan
05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
i replied to dan labatard yesterday here is what i told him....

Rarely do I ever see such disregard for truth and such off the wall ideas that I feel that I must write to a journalist about it. However, your article concerning Shaquille O'Neal and how he lost out on the MVP award due to Steve Nash due to race has crossed that line. While you could probably successfully make this argument in every other major sport, basketball, the sport where the 'black man' has achieved everything in this sport, where the 'black man' is involved in every level of this sport, this is just ludicrous. There is not one major high profile position in the NBA that a black man does not currently hold or has never held. You could make the ownership argument until this year when Robert Johnson entered the league with the Charlotte Bobcats. Yes I know, there is only one black owner, so there must be some major injustice. I guess if you look at the fact that the media votes on these awards and there are not that many black journalists I guess you have a point, but thats your fraternity. Let's ignore the fact that a 'black man' has won this award every year since 1985. Where's the injustice there? Now regarding the under 20 age limit, you might have a point if this was not being supported almost unilaterally by all parties involved, yes even these young black men's fellow black men! The under 20 proposed age limit may be a full of ageism but racism? Hardly. When blacks are supporting this rule also its difficult to claim racism in the pure sense of the word. This rule is one that is being supported because most young players have no clue about fundamentals. Also many older players see this as a way to get a couple more years and a couple more million out of their careers. Let's be intelligent here and not try to sell a few more papers or get a few more hits on ESPN.com. There is a thing called responsible journalism. This is not a responsible column. I don't expect a response, although I would love to hear your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Das

His reply:

do you know how to read? i didn't say he lost because of race. i asked whether race was an issue. i raised a question.

I replied with something stupid further questioning his integrity as a responsible journalist. He has yet to reply.

mrpach
05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
the fact of the matter is, steve nash is good. real good. But he has 2 other all stars with him....

Last year Phoenix already had those other 2 all stars and their season was anything but crappy :lol

And you cant say shak doesnt has a cuality supporting cast...

Nash deserved that award :smokin

sickdsm
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
You do know they write crap like that just to make your blood boil and respond to it?

Its like a talk radio guy. You can't be too nice on the radio to people. You have to learn how to controllably piss people off.

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Was it racism when Iverson won it over Shaq? TD? KG?

If Shaq would not use the regular season to get back in shape every year, if he would play a full season, if he would make the first team All Defensive Team one time in his career, if he would have led the league in blks or rebounds once in his career, then maybe he would be MVP more than one time in his career. Yes?

SuBZer0
05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Based on the previous MVP award winners, I don't think they are racist at all......BTW, who was the last white guy to win MVP?(not including nash)
Larry Bird

And yea, Le Batard should be called Dan LeBastard

Spurminator
05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
You do know they write crap like that just to make your blood boil and respond to it?

I agree 100%, and while I typically don't let sports commentary get me agitated, I think it's very unfortunate when sports columnists cheapen this nation's historical problems of racism by throwing it around in awards discussions just to spark conversation.

I'm sure you could really create a buzz by suggesting that Dirk gets foul calls in his favor because he's rumored to be related to Nazis and there is an anti-Semetic bias in the league, but I would have a slight problem with that.

Rummpd
05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
"I hardly agree with espn guys but Greg Anthony said something the other day that totally rang true:

This guy is easily the most dominant player in the game ever. Ever. He's the most dominant player in the game, yet he only has 1 mvp trophy. That, to me, makes no sense.

And it doesn't to me either." Can't be Faded

Most dominant ever? Total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaq has never won squat without another top 5 type player, has never won a rebound title, has never won a block title.

Shaq cannot hold a candle to Chamberlain, Jabbar, Russell, Robertson, Jordan, Bird or Magic and others.

Chamberlain would have ate him alive period. Please!!!!!!

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Most dominant ever? Total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaq has never won squat without another top 5 type player, has never won a rebound title, has never won a block title.

You can not bedominant without doing what I just said at least 1 time in your career.

DRob was dominant.

Guru of Nothing
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
i replied to dan labatard yesterday here is what i told him....

.... I guess if you look at the fact that the media votes on these awards and there are not that many black journalists I guess you have a point, but thats your fraternity. ...

Excellent point.

ambchang
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
But why is it ridiculous that Shaq only won the award once? He was never considered to be a clear-cut most dominant centre in the league until DRob and Hakeem got old. Karl Malone won it 98-99, and only controversy that year was that Duncan didn't win it. Iverson led the 76ers to the Finals in 00-01, TD won it 01-02 and 02-03, and both years, Shaq wasn't even considered because even the runner ups (JKidd and KG) were clearly having a better season than him. Garnett and TD were duking it out last year, and this Shaq, having arguably his personal worse season since his rookie year, is only a favourite by the process of elimination. TD was hurt, the Wolves sucked (so KG is out), same token, the 76ers sucked, so Iverson is out, Cavs couldn't even make the playoffs, so LeBron is out.
People kept talking about how dominant Shaq is blah blah blah, but he was only dominant during the playoffs, when he actually got in shape. Over the last 3 or 4 years, Shaq has been grossly out of shape in the regular season that he was not dominant in any of them.
Putting him in the same breathe as Wilt Chamberlaim is an insult to the Big Dipper.
BTW, Nash won the MVP award, when other great point guards like Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Jason Kidd, Clyde Frazier, Earl Monroe, Tiny Archibald and Pete Maravich has never won it shows you how bad the players are getting now.

N.Y. Johnny
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
ESPN has become nothing but a joke now, they're in the same class as the old WCW Monday Night Nitro Recap Shows were.
they reach and make ridiculous shit up and take stupid hacks like Dan Lebatard seriously.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it's racist, we all know a white guy has won it 20 years straight.

I was going to post about how stupid ESPN looks by trumpeting this crap out there, but then I realized we're talking about the same network that thinks that Dream Job and Teammates are quality programming.

You've gotta consider the source on this one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 08:48 PM
While I'm at it...

Doesn't anyone find it at least a little bit hypocritical that a network with exactly one black sports anchor is trying to play the race card?

violentkitten
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
fuck yeah man everyone knows its real easy for poor blacks to make it just like the white sons of the upper middle class

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Nash is not even American...why would the American media want the white MVP laureate, our great white hope, to be a freaking hoser?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
1955-56 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis
1956-57 - Bob Cousy, Boston
1957-58 - Bill Russell, Boston
1958-59 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis
1959-60 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
1960-61 - Bill Russell, Boston
1961-62 - Bill Russell, Boston
1962-63 - Bill Russell, Boston
1963-64 - Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati
1964-65 - Bill Russell, Boston
1965-66 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
1966-67 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
1967-68 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
1968-69 - Wes Unseld, Baltimore
1969-70 - Willis Reed, New York
1970-71 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1971-72 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1972-73 - Dave Cowens, Boston
1973-74 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
1974-75 - Bob McAdoo, Buffalo
1975-76 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1976-77 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1977-78 - Bill Walton, Portland
1978-79 - Moses Malone, Houston
1979-80 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia
1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston
1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia
1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston
1984-85 - Larry Bird, Boston
1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston
1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
2004-05 - Steve Nash, Phoenix

Yeah, I mean, it's like, look at that list, dude. The MVP award is racist...
:rolleyes

Clearly, the writer was looking for controversy. And to write something just to create controversy and being named is not the best way to make an accusation.

Politically correct disclaimer: The names in bold are not bolded because I believe the white MVPs were more important. They are highlighted to make a point in the argument.

violentkitten
05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
fuck man if shaq was white he'd be america's favorite son. none of this shit is new look at how people ride the nuts of white quarterbacks while black quarterbacks are only noted for their pure athleticism as opposed to their decision making. this is america and some people still need to see the white man in control.

Vashner
05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Nash is not even American...why would the American media want the white MVP laureate, our great white hope, to be a freaking hoser?

Nash is an anti american dirtbag(IMO). But he plays good bball. Shaq's dad is military and he grew up as an Army brat. He's more white american than Nash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-09-2005, 10:07 PM
while black quarterbacks are only noted for their pure athleticism as opposed to their decision making.

When's the last time a black QB won an NFL Superbowl?

I think the whole race thing is stupid and played out, especially in sports. 90% of pro athletes in the big two (basketball, football) are black, and do amazing things.

A PG who led his team to the best record in the league, and who is the first white guy in 20 years to win the MVP, and someone's gotta play the race card?

Give it a fucking rest.

SequSpur
05-09-2005, 10:07 PM
NBA forum

nickbroken
05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Nash is an anti american dirtbag(IMO). But he plays good bball. Shaq's dad is military and he grew up as an Army brat. He's more white american than Nash.

How the hell is Bash an anti-american dirtybag?Because he's from Canada, talk about obtuse post of the day. :rolleyes

violentkitten
05-10-2005, 01:38 AM
When's the last time a black QB won an NFL Superbowl?

yep dem negroes just aint smart enough to win duh super bowl

I think the whole race thing is stupid and played out, especially in sports. 90% of pro athletes in the big two (basketball, football) are black, and do amazing things.

A PG who led his team to the best record in the league, and who is the first white guy in 20 years to win the MVP, and someone's gotta play the race card?

when someone else did a better job. shaqs loss meant more than nashs to their old team and shaqs impact was greater for his new team. thats a mvp no matter how you look at it

Give it a fucking rest.

suck a dick you little 'job.

cqsallie
05-10-2005, 02:08 AM
fuck man if shaq was white he'd be america's favorite son. none of this shit is new look at how people ride the nuts of white quarterbacks while black quarterbacks are only noted for their pure athleticism as opposed to their decision making. this is america and some people still need to see the white man in control.
If this were a baseball game, you'd be so far out in the field that you'd be covering centerfield from the downtown business district.
This is such total crap! Some people need to see the white man in control? Did that not go out with yellow shoes, kittykat?
Only jerks judge a person by the color of their skin and only jerks think this is how people judge them. We've come a long way, baby - thanks in great part to athletes who earned our respect and love due to their ability to slash great big holes in whatever stupid color lines existed.
For a great many of us who never gave a damn, it came as no surprise. Only people who persist in believing that racial or ethnic identity is important have a problem with just looking at everybody as a member of the human race. It just boils me to hear racist crap - and although you may think you're being kind to non-whites, you're being horribly racist.
:cuss If you didn't care, you wouldn't be writing such slop. Black, White, Yellow, Brown, Red, Purple or Polka-Dot - who the hell really cares. It's the person who matters!!!!

violentkitten
05-10-2005, 02:11 AM
race does matter in this country today. you are blind if you dont think people still see sport in such a manner.

Obstructed_View
05-10-2005, 02:21 AM
How the hell is Bash an anti-american dirtybag?Because he's from Canada, talk about obtuse post of the day. :rolleyes
He didn't make any friends spouting off about the war when he had no idea what he was talking about. He's entitled to his opinion, but so are the people who didn't appreciate the idiocy that spewed from his mouth.

This post is not to start a political discussion, but to let you know why someone would say that about Nash.

sickdsm
05-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Nash has ran america and our culture down before. Not like he's bin laden or anything but i don't think he's like a manu or parker that doesn't feel the need to run america down just bc he's playing there.

No big deal to me though.

Still can't figure out what Flash Gordon was getting at though.

HB22inSA
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
This is the most insane crap I've heard for along time.

nkdlunch
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
espn is stupid

We have a winner!!

MadDog73
05-10-2005, 04:31 PM
when someone else did a better job. shaqs loss meant more than nashs to their old team and shaqs impact was greater for his new team. thats a mvp no matter how you look at it

OK, Shaq leaving the Lakers was not the ONLY thing wrong with them this year. Injuries plagued them, I would bet this team wouldn't be going far even with Shaq (yeah, they'd still make the Playoffs, but they wouldn't be in the Second round like the Heat are).

And really, what bearing on how well Nash or Shaq played last year have to do with this year? Does Shaq deserve MVP? Why? Wade is the one dominating the numbers, not Shaq.

Shaq goes out, Heat does just fine. Nash goes out, and the Suns collapse like a Black Hole.

It ain't racist.

It's about Tim and Shaq being injured and their teams doing fine without... and the Suns being the #1 fucking team. End of god damn story.

Spurminator
05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
It's the 2005 Most Valuable Player not the 2005 Player Whose Team Sucked Worse After Losing Him. 2004 is irrelevant.

Guru of Nothing
05-10-2005, 04:43 PM
So long as "value" is part of the award, maybe they should factor in the current season's salary into the decision.