PDA

View Full Version : There sure are a lot of...

Yonivore
05-05-2010, 08:12 PM
...Democrats just walking away from power this year.

Now, Obey (Obey announces retirement from House)?

Interesting.

ChumpDumper
05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Almost as many as Republicans.

Is the fact that more Republicans are leaving also interesting to you?

mogrovejo
05-06-2010, 10:07 AM
It was about time. Funny enough, he leaves in a high note - shoving his corrupt party- fellow Maxime Waters and denying her the money to build a "monument to me" was his finest moment in Congress - maybe the only good one.

Ignignokt
05-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Almost as many as Republicans.

Is the fact that more Republicans are leaving also interesting to you?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

ChumpDumper
05-07-2010, 04:35 AM
What's funny about that?

Last I checked, there are currently more Republicans leaving than Democrats.

Please explain.

George Gervin's Afro
05-07-2010, 07:14 AM
What's funny about that?

Last I checked, there are currently more Republicans leaving than Democrats.

Please explain.

Fox news doesn't cover the GOP defections... I'll answer it for the dead enders

Retiring Democrats (17 incumbents)

Alabama's 7th congressional district: Artur Davis: To run for Governor of Alabama.[9]
Arkansas's 1st congressional district: Marion Berry: Retiring due to health concerns.[10]
Arkansas's 2nd congressional district: Vic Snyder: Retiring to spend more time with family.[11]
California's 33rd congressional district: Diane Watson: Retiring [11]
Florida's 17th congressional district: Kendrick Meek: To run for the U.S. Senate.[12]
Indiana's 8th congressional district: Brad Ellsworth: To run for the U.S. Senate.
Kansas's 3rd congressional district: Dennis Moore: Retiring; "Time for a new generation of leadership."[13]
Louisiana's 3rd congressional district: Charlie Melancon: To run for the U.S. Senate.[14]
Massachusetts's 10th congressional district: Bill Delahunt: Retiring, "Life is about change. I think it's healthy. It's time." [15]
Michigan's 1st congressional district: Bart Stupak: For reasons unannounced [16]
New Hampshire's 2nd congressional district: Paul Hodes: To run for the U.S. Senate.[17]
Pennsylvania's 7th congressional district: Joe Sestak: To run for the U.S. Senate.[18]
Rhode Island's 1st congressional district: Patrick J. Kennedy: Retiring to "[take] a new direction."[19]
Tennessee's 6th congressional district: Bart Gordon: Retiring; "...it's time for a new chapter"[20]
Tennessee's 8th congressional district: John S. Tanner: Retiring, reasons not known.[21]
Washington's 3rd congressional district: Brian Baird: Retiring, to pursue other options.[22]
Wisconsin's 7th congressional district: Dave Obey: Retiring; "But even more frankly, I am bone tired."[23]

[edit] Retiring Republicans (20 incumbents)

Arkansas's 3rd congressional district: John Boozman: To run for U.S. Senate.
Arizona's 3rd congressional district: John Shadegg: Retiring to pursue other interests.[24]
California's 19th congressional district: George Radanovich: Retiring to put family obligations first.[25]
Delaware's At-large congressional district: Michael Castle: To run for U.S. Senate.[26]
Florida's 5th congressional district: Ginny Brown-Waite: Retiring due to health issues.[27]
Florida's 12th congressional district: Adam Putnam: To run for Florida Commissioner of Agriculture.[28]
Florida's 21st congressional district: Lincoln Diaz-Balart: Retiring to do law practice.
Florida's 25th congressional district: Mario Diaz-Balart: To run for Florida's 21st district, currently held by his brother Lincoln Diaz-Balart.[29]
Georgia's 7th congressional district: John Linder: Retiring.[30]
Indiana's 4th congressional district: Steve Buyer: Retiring due to wife's illness [31]
Illinois's 10th congressional district: Mark Kirk: To run for U.S. Senate.[32]
Kansas's 1st congressional district: Jerry Moran: To run for the U.S. Senate.[33]
Kansas's 4th congressional district: Todd Tiahrt: To run for the U.S. Senate.[34]
Michigan's 2nd congressional district: Peter Hoekstra: To run for Governor of Michigan.[35]
Michigan's 3rd congressional district: Vern Ehlers: Retiring[36]
Missouri's 7th congressional district: Roy Blunt: To run for the U.S. Senate.[37]
Oklahoma's 5th congressional district: Mary Fallin: To run for Governor of Oklahoma.[38]
South Carolina's 1st congressional district:Henry E. Brown, Jr.: Retiring to spend more time with his family.[39]
South Carolina's 3rd congressional district: J. Gresham Barrett: To run for Governor of South Carolina.[40]
Tennessee's 3rd congressional district: Zach Wamp: To run for Governor of Tennessee.[41]

This post just reinforces what an idiot Yoni is

Yonivore
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
This post just reinforces what an idiot Yoni is
How so? I wasn't talking about Republicans, the minority party with few positions of power from which to walk away.

Also, of the retirements, how many of the respective seats are in danger of being lost to the opposing party?

I don't know the answer but, just throwing the names up on this forum doesn't tell the whole story. The story is how many seats will switch parties.

George Gervin's Afro
05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
How so? I wasn't talking about Republicans, the minority party with few positions of power from which to walk away.

Also, of the retirements, how many of the respective seats are in danger of being lost to the opposing party?

I don't know the answer but, just throwing the names up on this forum doesn't tell the whole story. The story is how many seats will switch parties.

Parties in power traditionally lose seats.. something you fail to acknowledge everytime you post some thing like this. I GUARANTEE you that no matter how many losses the Dems have this fall you and your bretheren will attritbute it to Obama and his policies without mentioning this was going to happen anyway...

Yonivore
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Parties in power traditionally lose seats.. something you fail to acknowledge everytime you post some thing like this.
Really? I don't even keep that close of watch on my posts regarding elections. Wow, I'm flattered.

I GUARANTEE you that no matter how many losses the Dems have this fall you and your bretheren will attritbute it to Obama and his policies without mentioning this was going to happen anyway...
Actually, I'll attribute it to their votes.

George Gervin's Afro
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Really? I don't even keep that close of watch on my posts regarding elections. Wow, I'm flattered.

Actually, I'll attribute it to their votes.

Sure you would because you lack intellectual integrity..but we all know that already.

George Gervin's Afro
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/jan/21/20060121-104331-7163r/

To be sure, midterm elections have not been kind to presidents or their parties. For example, since 1862, there have been 36 midterm elections held during the first or second terms of an administration. In 33 of those 36 elections, the opposition party gained strength in the House. That's the bad news for the Bush administration and the Republican Party. The good news is that the three anomalous midterm elections in which the president's party gained strength in the House included the last two midterm campaigns. (The third occasion was the 1934 election held during Franklin Roosevelt's first term.)

The 20th century was particularly unkind to presidents and their party's House members in the midterm elections occurring during the second term of an administration -- what Congressional Quarterly has aptly dubbed "The Sixth Year Swoon." During the first 90 years of the 20th century, for example, there were nine midterm elections held during an administration's second term. Each time, the president's party lost House seats. Those losses averaged 33 seats (or more than double the number of seats Democrats must win to gain control). Major second-midterm blowouts for the party occupying the White House included 71 seats lost in 1938 during Franklin Roosevelt's second term, 47 in 1958 during Dwight Eisenhower's second term, 47 in 1966 in the second term of the Kennedy-Johnson administration and 43 seats in 1974 during the Nixon-Ford era.

Contrary to the experience of the century's first 90 years, however, the Democratic Party actually gained a handful of House seats in the second midterm election (1998) during Bill Clinton's administration. And it is probably worth pointing out that Republicans lost only five House seats in Ronald Reagan's second midterm election (1986) -- although the GOP was clobbered that year in the Senate, when it lost eight seats and majority control.

Successfully bucking the century's trend in 1998 provided Democrats with little solace, given that Republicans maintained control in the House, which they captured in the 1994 midterm elections by winning 54 more House seats (230) than they won in 1992 (176). Indeed, after 40 years of unrestrained Democratic domination in the House, the 1994 national rebellion against Clinton policies (Hillarycare et al.) devastated the House Democratic Caucus, a defeat from which the Democrats have yet to recover. In fact, a slew of Democratic defections in 1995 helped to increase the House Republican caucus to a peak of 236 members before the 1996 elections. Despite the fact that Democrats chipped away at the Republicans' House majority during the 1996 elections (nine seats), 1998 midterms (four seats) and 2000 elections (two seats), today Republicans control more House seats (232, including one vacancy) than they did on the morning after the 1994 election (230).

2009 is almost over and with the ringing in of 2010 comes the prospect of midterm elections across the country.

The current political climate is keeping pundits guessing as to what the new year will bring.

In November 2010 every seat of the House of Representatives will be up for election or re-election and one-third of the Senate seats will be up for grabs. 2010 also means gubernatorial elections in 39 states.

According to the latest Gallup polling, President Obama’s job approval rating has slipped to a new low of 47 percent. National unemployment rates linger in the double digits and the public’s view on the economy remains pessimistic at best.

Every midterm election, the majority party generally yields at least a few seats to the other party. The question for this election is how many seats the Democrats will yield to Republicans.

In the 1966 midterm election, President Lyndon Johnson had a 44 percent approval rating and his Democrat Party lost 47 seats in the election.

1n 1974, President Gerald Ford had a 54 percent approval rating and his Republican Party lost 43 seats in the midterm elections.

Possibly most relevant are the 1994 midterm elections when President Bill Clinton held a 46 percent approval rating and his Democrat Party yielded 53 seats to Republicans.

There are still 11 months until the election in which either party could shift public opinion to their favor.

BYU professor Richard Davis of the Political Science Department believes it’s too early to make predictions about 2010.

“Historically, the party in power loses seats. How many seats depends on many factors such as the economy, the president’s approval rating, the strength of the opposition party’s challengers, etc.,” Davis said. “I think it is safe to say the Republicans will gain seats in Congress, but whether they could get enough to regain control of the House or the Senate is an open question.”

Gallup polls have shown that independent voters currently prefer a Republican candidate over a Democrat candidate by 22 percent. Among all registered voters, Republicans hold a 4 percent advantage over Democrats.

Davis pointed out that while independent voters can swing elections, they are less likely to turn out during midterm elections when there is no presidential candidate on the ballot.

“It is the partisans that will constitute the vast majority of voters in the 2010 elections, not independents. The main task of the parties will be to get more of their supporters out than those of the other party,” Davis concluded.

Professor Ken Stiles is also a political science professor. He is optimistic about the Democratic prospects in 2010.

“Sitting presidents always lose seats during mid-term elections; the big question is whether the Democrats will lose more than usual. My guess is that they won’t,” Stiles said.

In order for the Republicans to recapture a majority in the House, they would need to pick up 40 seats in 2010.

here you go Yoni..there are plnty more articles if you'd like to see them? For some reason I suspect you are going to continue to play stupid on this...

Ignignokt
05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
lol! out of the 20, 11 of those republicans are upgrading to different races like governership or Senate. number is 9.

democrats meantime have 11.

Ignignokt
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
make that 8 for the republicans. One is doing a lateral move.

Yonivore
05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
“Sitting presidents always lose seats during mid-term elections; the big question is whether the Democrats will lose more than usual. My guess is that they won’t,” Stiles said.
Others are guessing they will.

We'll see in November.