PDA

View Full Version : Insider by Chad Ford: It's on Sarunas Jasikevicius

Useruser666
05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm lazy. Thanks!

Kori Ellis
05-10-2005, 12:50 AM
MOSCOW – Pay dirt.

It took nine days, 14,587 miles, a strikeout in Turkey, a terrible case of food poisoning and tanks rolling down the streets in Moscow – but we finally found someone who belongs in the NBA.

He is not Russian. He's not particularly athletic. Doesn't play great defense. Isn't 7 feet tall. Passed his 19th birthday 10 years ago. His upside was used up years ago.

But if there's one player in Europe who could make a difference in the NBA next year, it's Maccabi's Sarunas Jasikevicius.

Jasikevicius led Maccabi to a second straight Euroleague title Sunday, and in the process, won the MVP of the Final Four. He scored 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting, shot 3-for-4 from beyond the arc, and had six rebounds and five assists. However, the stats aren't what makes him appealing.

Jasikevicius is a warrior. He has the soul of a champion. He's led his team to three straight Euroleague titles (his first was with Barcelona in 2003) and shows no signs of slowing down.

He's lapped the competition in Europe.

"I was finding it tough to practice this year for the first time," Jasikevicius told Insider. "I had trouble motivating myself. I love the competition and it really took the Final Four to begin to bring it out in me again."

Obviously, NBA scouts and European basketball fans have known about Jasikevicius for years. He's no secret. NBA teams have flirted with bringing him over in free agency for the past two summers. His asking price last year, $1.6 million, wasn't too high. But general managers, as they are wont to do, always focused on what he couldn't do.

He's too slow. He's not a great athlete. He doesn't play defense. His passion can make him out of control. How will NBA players respond when he chews them out on the court after they make dumb plays?

So instead, scouts focused on the babies – teenagers who sat on the bench and waved towels. While Jasikevicius was willing his team to victory on the court, the multitude of GMs and scouts who have sat in gyms and watched him dominate the competition over the years were more interested in the team's young 12th man. Everyone's looking for a home run, the guy who saves the franchise. Everyone misses the double, the guy who contributes – probably as a prominent sixth man – to a championship.

He's not the only guy in the same boat. There were a number of top veteran players in Sunday night's championship who have the talent to play in the NBA. Maccabi's Anthony Parker and Maceo Baston could be great rotation players. So could Tau Ceramica's Luis Scola, Arvydas Macijauskas and Travis Hansen.

Three of them – Parker, Baston and Hansen – are Americans playing overseas who struggled in their first pro stints but have improved greatly the past several years. Scola was drafted by the Spurs a few years ago but hasn't convinced them to pay the cash it would take (a starting salary of about $3-4 million) to get him over here. Macijauskas almost came to the NBA last season, but negotiations with two different teams fell apart.

Parker and Baston, like Jasikevicius, are veterans. Scola, Macijauskas and Hansen still have upside. All five could help a team next season if they are willing to give up starting roles in Europe for rotation gigs in the states. But none would have the immediate impact of Jasikevicius.

Is this the summer it all changes for him? Will he finally get some love from the NBA?

There's plenty to like about Jasikevicius' game. He's the best floor general in Europe. He has Steve Nash-type court vision. He's got a great outside jumper and uses his craftiness to weave his way to the basket and draw fouls. He's a vocal leader who isn't afraid to take the last shot. He makes his teammates better. And most important, he wins.

Can you name an NBA team, other than the Suns and Nets, that doesn't need some of that?

Add a great Olympic performance against the United States (he dropped 28 points on Team USA in a Lithuania victory and 17 points in a loss last summer) to the three Euroleague titles he's already won, and someone will pull the trigger on a contract this summer.

Who? The Pacers have shown interest in the past. So have the Spurs and Pistons. The Cavs, who desperately need some help at the point, could use a winner like Jasikevicius to help change the culture there. The Blazers could use a mentor for Sebastian Telfair. The Jazz have no one running the point worth keeping right now. He'd be a major upgrade over Chucky Atkins for the Lakers. If Dallas decides to dump Jason Terry, he'd make a heck of a role model for Devin Harris. I could keep going.

I don't think the question anymore is about whether the NBA will have his agent's number on speed dial this summer. The question is whether Jasikevicius really wants to make the jump.

He wouldn't be the first great Euroleague player to snub the NBA. Serbian forward Dejan Bodiroga has been dubbed the Larry Bird of Europe for years, but turned down several offers to come to the NBA because he didn't want to trade being a basketball god in Europe for a gig as a role player in the United States.

Euroleague MVP Anthony Parker also turned his back on the NBA when he signed a two-year extension with Maccabi just weeks ago, likely ending any talk about his playing in the States again.

"I'm enjoying myself here," Parker told Insider. "I just think I'm happy helping my teammates here. I know I can play in the NBA, but I don't think I have to."

Jasikevicius has the same difficult choice ahead. There's no question that he can play in the NBA, but the chances of his being a star there are slim. On most contending teams, he's probably a sixth man or a setup man for an NBA superstar. And he would probably have to take less money in the NBA to be in that role.

On Maccabi, he's a national hero. I met someone from Tel Aviv in Moscow who was already in the process of filming a commercial, begging him to forget about the NBA and stay in Israel. Maccabi fans are the most enthusiastic basketball fans in the world. Jasikevicius is worshipped by them in a very real and intense way.

NBA fans can get a little crazy now and then, but they don't hold a candle to Maccabi fans.

Let's just put it this way: If Maccabi traded a player like Shaquille O'Neal away for what the Lakers got in return, Maccabi fans would have been jumping off buildings. In LA, there were a few furrowed brows over morning cappuccino.

Can he adjust to a supporting role in the calm and cool NBA? Jasikevicius' game is all about heart. An NBA team that signs him and doesn't play him will rip that heart out. He doesn't want that. He knows it would destroy his game.

"I feed off the passion here," Jasikevicius said. "I see a sea of yellow [Maccabi's team color] cheering us on and it lifts me. We have the greatest fans in the world. It's an honor to play for them."

He means it. As the last seconds ticked down on Maccabi's victory Sunday, Jasikevicius got down on his knees and began bowing to Maccabi fans. Israeli journalists (many of whom clearly don't follow the objectivity rule of most American sportswriters) kissed and hugged him as he walked off the court.

After the game, in front of a pack of Israeli reporters, I asked him whether he was leaving for the NBA next season. After Jasikevicius gave me one of those I can't believe you're asking me in front of this crew looks, he gave the right response.

"I don't know what I'm doing next year," he said. "I'm going to rest a little bit this summer. See if I can get motivated. I just don't know."

Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess. The "I don't know" speech didn't sound particularly convincing. His agent stopped me two days ago and told me that Jasikevicius definitely would end up in the NBA this season.

Jasikevicius is a competitor. He's accomplished everything a European player can. Now it's time to see just how well those skills translate to the NBA.

If you're a lucky fan of the team that signs him, do yourself a favor: Don't shrug your shoulders because you can't pronounce his name. Meet him at the airport. Throw a parade. Chant his name at games. Get his heart thumping.

And maybe he can make it four in a row.

Nikos
05-10-2005, 01:01 AM
What more can Parker or Jasik prove in the Euroleague?

I am not sure Jasik would do much unless he went on a winning team that would offer him minutes as a backup PG. I don't even think he is the type of player that could put up great stats on a bad team. And I do not think he could improve a mediocre team all that much either.

I agree that his athleticism is below par, same with his D. He is a savvy passer and a good leader who can hit clutch shots. But over the course of the entire NBA game he would be exposed at this point (unless he went in a system that is already successful and was willing to accept him as a solid shooter/leader who has his limitations).

I think if he was a true NBA player he would have been here years ago. The guy played at Maryland for a few years and has seen the American game. Sure he probably has improved overseas, but why could he not at least sniff an NBA roster back in the day? I am not aware that he ever did?

He could be a nice backup for a team like the Spurs or maybe even a starter/6th man for a team like Miami who has a big man to feed him the ball. But I do not think he can create his own offense consistently in the NBA, nor penetrate and feed the ball like he does in the Euroleague.

I would be interested to see what he could do if he did come over, but my general opinion is he wouldn't be near the player he is overseas.

timvp
05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Jasikevicius is going to get destroyed in the league. He'll make Steve Nash seem like Bruce Bowen.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Jasikevicius is going to get destroyed in the league. He'll make Steve Nash seem like Bruce Bowen.

If Stojakovic, Nowitzki or Nash can play in the league, Sarunas can easily be a starting PG in the NBA.

Dario
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
I'll say it again - sarunas is better than tony and tony is starting PG for NBA title contender

Nikos
05-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Better at what? Shooting and being a leader in the Euroleague?

Better at leading Lithuania against Tony who has a team with less chemistry and talent on his team?

baraya
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
again..
right now.. you have only three players in the whole league, able to compare with saras.. nash, kidd and bibby!!! forget about parker.. heīs faraway from being a good PG.. heīs a great player.. undersized guard, who is really fun to watch on the court.. amazing offenzive skills, good defender.. but thatīs not what is basketball about. PG must be a leader.. a creator of the game.. he must present brains of whole team.. and on and on.. but this is not topic about what should be PG..
iīam really excited about sarasīs decision this summer.. i hope he will choose nba.. i really do believe that he is ready for new challenge. i think that cavaliers are team for him. leBron is becoming a great player.. ilgauskas is one of the top C in the league.. and they are decided to build the dynasty. what they need is another one solid post player, one great SG.. and one true PG, who will create the game and feed whole team with useful balls. and saras is the man that team.. i would be glad to see him play for cleveland.

i hope he will come here.. and show all of you who have doubts about him, ( those havent seen him yet.. i predict.. ) who is the one today..

and nowitzki is not the best international player.. he is the best international scorer on his position.. and the first european scorer in nba.. but that does not mean that he is the first one at the moment.. that pride belongs to Sarunas Jasikevicius..

... there are some people who really arenīt able to understand the game.. and the point of this game..but i can live with that..

and remember till next year.. SARAS IS BASKETBALL GOD!!!!!

MadDog73
05-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I'll say it again - sarunas is better than tony and tony is starting PG for NBA title contender

What!?! You'd take a 29 year old over our 22 year old Tony?

Ain't gonna happen friend.

Jimcs50
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
He played for Gary Williams for 4 yrs...you do not play at Maryland without playing defense...he played it is college, with the right coach, he can play it in the pros.

Put him with Brown or Pop and he can play defense.

MadDog73
05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
again..
right now.. you have only three players in the whole league, able to compare with saras.. nash, kidd and bibby!!!

And two of those are out of the playoffs.

I guess "pure" PGs are over-rated.

I'd rather have a shot maker in Tony than just a good passer anyday.

Did you guys hear the crap on TNT when they were saying that Beno is a better PG than Tony?

Than why is Tony starting, I wondered.... :rolleyes

baraya
05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
What!?! You'd take a 29 year old over our 22 year old Tony?

Ain't gonna happen friend.

no you donīt have to replace tony.. you already have beno .. and wait a few years and he will become a starter..

picnroll
05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=Jimcs50] He played for Gary Williams for 4 yrs...you do not play at Maryland without playing defense... [\QUOTE]

Francis does.

Hear the latest Francis joke? Paraphrasing, when interviewed recently Francis said when he gets into the playoffs he's going to dominate them.
Gotta love the kids enthusiasm. :lol

baraya
05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Than why is Tony starting, I wondered.... :rolleyes
i guess that beno is still a rookie.. and he need to develop his game before he become a starter.. :smokin

Useruser666
05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Kori for posting it.

MadDog73
05-10-2005, 10:49 AM
no you donīt have to replace tony.. you already have beno .. and wait a few years and he will become a starter..

Beno? Really? Ooo-kaayy, but I think Tony is going to be the best point guard in the NBA in the next few years.

And if Beno stays as a back-up, we'll have no need for an aging star like Sarunas Jasikevicius.

But I do hope he comes to the NBA so I can watch him.

baraya
05-10-2005, 10:53 AM
And two of those are out of the playoffs.

yes .. you canīt build the team without one decent post player( nets ). and carter and kidd just arenīt able to dominate all the time without any help from inside.. here you have one- krstic :: a solid back up for any team.. but he will never become a something more in the nba. sonner or later nets will bring someone better than him, and bench young serbian. a till that day they wont be able to beat heat or someone else in first round..

sacramento is another story..

picnroll
05-10-2005, 11:01 AM
The balls in Saruna's court. He's a free agent, he'll almost undoubtedly get some offers. He either steps up to the next level to prove himself or he doesn't. If he doesn't you can speculate all you want about how great he is relative to NBA competition but it's all speculation, kind of like the legend of Bodiroga. But the NBA is an entirely different game where he may or may not have great success. A great triple A hitter isn't necessarily going to be a great major league hitter. Only one way to find out.

exstatic
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Did you guys hear the crap on TNT when they were saying that Beno is a better PG than Tony?

Uh, actually, they were quoting the Spurs staff, and as a pure PG, Beno is better. Tony is a better scorer/penetrator, and a far better defender. With the motion offense that SA runs, having a pure PG is not a neccessity, which is why this Maccabi 29 year old PG is not a need this summer. We have the slasher/penetrator/scorer in Parker, and the distributor/shooter in Beno. Got it covered.

gus
05-10-2005, 02:39 PM
The issue is, how many Euroleague players can start ( I am not saying to be stars ) in NBA, the truth is only a few.

Let me put you an example near to us. Manu was the MJ o Kobe in Euroleague ( yes this big ), MVP, called Eurokobe and here he had to adapt and so on. Nocioni was a beast there and he had to adapt.

Conclusion: only the beasts in Europe can play here, Stojakovic, Manu, Nocioni, Divac, Kukoc etc. Look at Rasho, he was almost a beast there.

Trying with players like Milicic, Tsikivili (sp), and other teenagers without experience is stupid. If I were a Euro scouter I would recomend only the proven winners.

BUs

tekdragon
05-10-2005, 04:53 PM
You Euros crack me up.

If this guy is better than Parker and Nowitzki, let him come over and prove it. Until then, give me a fucking break.

If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

If you're not even willing to step in the ring, all the JV championships in the world don't mean shit.

I'm sure the guy's got game, but claiming he's proven to be better than the best in the world, without him ever having played against the best in the world, is ridiculous. He hasn't proven shit.

At this point, he's the best of the rest. The best of the best play with the big boys.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-10-2005, 05:23 PM
I think pure point guards were essentially weeded out of the NBA over the years because vertical leap and foot speed were rated higher than smarts, court vision and floor leadership skills. That's why a player like Jason Kidd sticks out like he does, ditto for Nash.

I'm sure this guy would thrive in the right system. I could picture him doing great things for a team like Utah.

Dario
05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
I know what u mean, he must prove himself all over again in NBA, but to say he isnt able to be starting PG here is bullshit and people talking who didnt saw one his game. BUT - watching allmost all this year spurs games and like 15 maccabi games jasikevicious is simply better player than tony, tony is quicker and younger, but thats about it.
Oh and Ginobili was never this big in europe, he changed his playing style greatly, in italy he was outside shooter, here he is penetrator (duncan, rasho and now nazr set the screens which he didnt had in kinder)

Nikos
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
From all the games I have seen of Ginobili before he came in the NBA, I got the distinct impression he was a SLASHER as opposed to a shooter. I watched a few Kinder and Argentina games and I could tell right away he was a streaky shooter who is best attacking the basket and making plays that way.

duncan2k5
05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
if he is the same lithuanian player who was playing against the U.S. last year, i think he's gonna get T'd up like no ones business if he plays significant minutes. he gets mad for everything. and i know ive only see him play like 3 times, but i dont think he can be as good as tony. he is a better shooter, yes, and a good passer (only good because he is no jason kidd), but thats it. tony averages i think 6 assists without dominating the ball, so i thionk ppl underrate his passing ability. all the assist leaders in the NBA play extended minutes while dominating the ball on every posession. steve nash, jason kidd, marbury, etc. so i think tony is doing a good job. better than jasikevicious could do.

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
How many games does he play per season? What's the length of the regular season in that league...and how many games do you play in the playoffs?

Dario
05-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Well in EU top clubs play 3 leagues in almost all countries, euroleague as league with just top euro clubs, then national league and national cup. Teams play with something like 2-3 days rest so its quite similar to NBA.

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
All I'm saying that you can't compare playing against inferior competition for [however many games there are in Euroleague's regular season, still unspecified] to the 82 game grind of the NBA season against (unquestionably) the best basketball players in the world.

Tony's a top five PG in the NBA, I don't think too many people will argue with that.

Manu was MVP in Europe, and it took him 3 years to adjust to the NBA game. If the year before he came into the league you said that his rookie year in the NBA he'd be better than any of the top 5 NBA players at his position, it would have been laughable, and it would have been wrong. You might be able to make the arguement now, three years later, but the year before he came into the league that would have been plain wrong. The benefit of hindsight proves this.

So to say that the best PG in Europe is better than a top 5 NBA guard already is ridiculous. The game is played on a whole other level here. I'm sure he looks great against the players over there, but to proclaim him as better now than one of the top guards in the league is jumping the gun a little bit. Plus, the guy's 29, right? If he comes over next year, it will take him a few years to adjust to the speed at which the game is played here. Just in time for age to start catching up to him.

He isn't now, and never will be, better than Tony Parker. If he was, he'd be leading the league in assists already. He'll come over next year, and he'll start the season as a backup. If he earns the starting spot quicker than game 3 of the regular season, I'll buy into his potential. But he has to do it here. You can't compare players not in the NBA to players in the NBA. In addition to it being apples/oranges, it's not fair to the non-NBA player, and it's an insult to the players who have earned the right to play basketball at it's highest level.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
You cant say that NBA is so much better than Euroleague. The fact is that in Europe is playin totaly diferent style of game. NBA is more show basketball and "superstars" with 100+ millions........ And in last years Its all about the $$ and superstars.
And why in OL the USA stars dont win it all , becouse they have too much of $$ and other teams play with heart and soul.

duncan2k5
05-11-2005, 04:20 PM
All I'm saying that you can't compare playing against inferior competition for [however many games there are in Euroleague's regular season, still unspecified] to the 82 game grind of the NBA season against (unquestionably) the best basketball players in the world.

Tony's a top five PG in the NBA, I don't think too many people will argue with that.

Manu was MVP in Europe, and it took him 3 years to adjust to the NBA game. If the year before he came into the league you said that his rookie year in the NBA he'd be better than any of the top 5 NBA players at his position, it would have been laughable, and it would have been wrong. You might be able to make the arguement now, three years later, but the year before he came into the league that would have been plain wrong. The benefit of hindsight proves this.

So to say that the best PG in Europe is better than a top 5 NBA guard already is ridiculous. The game is played on a whole other level here. I'm sure he looks great against the players over there, but to proclaim him as better now than one of the top guards in the league is jumping the gun a little bit. Plus, the guy's 29, right? If he comes over next year, it will take him a few years to adjust to the speed at which the game is played here. Just in time for age to start catching up to him.

He isn't now, and never will be, better than Tony Parker. If he was, he'd be leading the league in assists already. He'll come over next year, and he'll start the season as a backup. If he earns the starting spot quicker than game 3 of the regular season, I'll buy into his potential. But he has to do it here. You can't compare players not in the NBA to players in the NBA. In addition to it being apples/oranges, it's not fair to the non-NBA player, and it's an insult to the players who have earned the right to play basketball at it's highest level.
preach, papi, preach. i mean, the guy is 29, and i think tony is better than him at 20. no comparison. and as i said before, tony is a scoring pg, but he is also a pure pg. he averages 6 assists without dominating the ball like jason kidd and steve nash and marbury, and AI, some of the nba's top assist leaders. and he plays less minutes. come on. lets be more realistic about this

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
You cant say that NBA is so much better than Euroleague. The fact is that in Europe is playin totaly diferent style of game. NBA is more show basketball and "superstars" with 100+ millions........ And in last years Its all about the $$ and superstars.
And why in OL the USA stars dont win it all , becouse they have too much of $$ and other teams play with heart and soul.

:lmao
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, hold on.....mmmpphhhhffff.....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

oh, you're killing me...whooo.....

Tell you what: you take the best team in Euroleague, and I'll take the best team in the NBA, and let them play a 7 game series. Hell, I'll take any of the 5 best teams. You know what, I'll take the Nuggets. You take whoever you want from Euroleague, and I'll take the Nuggets. 7 games. You would bet me money on this? Because if you would, that has got to be the most warped perception since ducks' attitude towards Lebron.

NBA players lost the gold because they are not a team, and they were playing against teams. Let a European team into the NBA. They'd get stomped by the Bulls.

An NBA team would beat a Euroleague team, and an NBA All-Star team would beat a Euro-All-Star team. 10 times out of 10.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
NBA players lost the gold because they are not a team, and they were playing against teams.

They are not a team?? What they are so?

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
...and as for that "heart and soul" crack: save that shit for the fucking tourists.

Ever seen AI play? Ben Wallace? Dwayne Wade? Kevin Garnett? Malik Rose? Steve Nash? Stephen Jackson? Rip Hamilton? Emeka Okafor? Gilbert Arenas? Kenyon Martin? Ben Gordon? Reggie Miller? Michael Jordan? Or was Sarunas better than him, too?

If European basketball is so good and so competitive, tell me how many players, in their prime, leave the NBA for Euroleague? How many leave Euroleague for the NBA?

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Sure NBA is better, they have much more $$$ . Who wont go to NBA if there is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 04:56 PM
They are not a team?? What they are so?

They were an all-star team. They played together for mere months. The teams they played against play together their whole lives. You think if the USA sent the Spurs to the olympics they would lose?

Give me a break. Put together a team of Europe's all-stars and a team of US allstars, let them practice for the same amount of time, and let's see who comes out on top.

Or, like I said, put any Euro team against the Spurs. and bring your checkbook.

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Sure NBA is better, they have much more $$$ . Who wont go to NBA if there is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

...as in: The NBA has better players, better teams, and a higher quality of play.

this:

You cant say that NBA is so much better than Euroleague.

...is ridiculous.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I did not say that Sarunas is better than Jordan, Kidd,......... You are just talking how good is NBA....

Ofcourse Jordan was better becouse he have such an athletic body and so on and on..... The European players are much more smarter but they dont have so much natural gifts than NBA stars....

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Give me a break. Put together a team of Europe's all-stars and a team of US allstars, let them practice for the same amount of time, and let's see who comes out on top.

Europes

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
You're right about that. If you have one (athletic ability) or the other (basketball IQ), you can be a productive player in the league. To dominate in this league, you have to have both.

Like, say, a Tony Parker.

Sarunas might have a high basketball IQ, but that's not enough to make him better than Tony. Tony has both.

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Europes

I'm confused. Is this grammatical? It's meant to be possessive. As in, belonging to Europe. Which would make it "Europe's"...as opposed to "Europes" - plural.

SLOVENIAN 8
05-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Look. I say if Sarunas will came to NBA. He wont do much becouse he is to slow. He is a good shooter and other stuff but too slow for NBA and not enough athletic abilitys.
Man i must go now ! See you! By

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Cool. Nice chatting with ya. I love the NBA vs. Rest of World debate. There's rich arguements on both sides, so it's always good stuff.

If you run into Dario:

...school the man, would ya? Thanks. :)

ChumpDumper
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
We'll likely see some Euroleague teams play NBA teams this coming preseason.

Prepare for heavy vBookie action.

T Park
05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
sarunas is better than tony

Your kidding me right???

Tony Parker would eat his lunch night and day, and then again.

Got to be kidding me.

whottt
05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey Europe...I got news for you...you guys didn't beat us for the Gold Medal...Argentina did...and they beat you too.

Stop acting like the Argentinian National Team is representative of Europe.

And they didn't do it by standing around shooting a bunch of jump shots. They weren't playing the style of ball as any other team in the Olympics...the game they played was all their own.

They did it, because they were both talented and experienced with many years of play togther... by running our asses off the court, disecting our D, and because our team was comprised of a bunch of low PCT shooting ball hogging guards and rookies, and only one true star bigman....We had no semblance of an ouside game.

It was a team of stars like we always send...but the stars just weren't as good, or as experienced...they couldn't shoot like the Reggie Miller and Bird and Jordan etc..

I'd say Reggie Miller could have been the difference between us winning and losing.

But anyway...the gap betweeen the Euro leagues and the NBA is not that wide...but the rules have enough differences to where not all players that are good over there are going to be good over here...

No one, except Segu, thought Manu was going to have a problem translating to the NBA...all of us saw what he could be....just based on brief glimpses...

I love Sarunas' attitude and his shooting...but he's not just going to come over and pull a Manu. If we valued shooting, rightly or wrongly, that much, we would have put it on our Olympic team...

Whether he starts or comes off the bench, will be up to a coach, and not his defensive ability or lack thereof...but his game is not gonna translate to the NBA like Manu's did. Bank on it. I've seen the guy play(more than 1 game)...it aint gonna happen.

Meanwhile...you guys seriously need to stop bandwaggoning Argentina's accomplishment...that was a National Team Tournament...unless Argentina is a hell of a lot bigger country then I realize...it doesn't include the country of every Euro who thinks he has the right to talk shit to Team USA...secondly...stop acting like what Manu does is common, to Europe, or the NBA...it's not. What Argentina did was all their own, and what Manu does is all his own. I am not trashing Euro ball, the major differences are the rules and style of play now.

...but you guys didn't beat us....stop nutriding the Argentinians, then beat us yourselves...and then you can talk shit about team USA with some credibility.

whottt
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
And the same thing goes for Sabonis the last time we lost...if every C in Europe was like Sabonis, then every team in the NBA right now, except for the Heat, would have a European C...and Spurs fans would be creaming over our own young Lithuanian C. There's only one Sabonis...there's only one Manu...just because those guys were etradordinary talents in both leagues does not mean that every guy that's good over there will be good in the NBA.

tekdragon
05-11-2005, 06:26 PM
whottt!!!

Jumping in the game cold...in overtime...burying a 3, stealing the inbound, ferocious dunk at the buzzer.

Game over.

whottt wins.

Frenchise player
05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
There is no point guard that the Spurs would take over Parker.
Kidd and Iverson are probably the two best but they are older.
I really hope we meet Phoenix in the WCF, if Parker plays like he usually does against Nash, all the people who voted for him would be ashamed.

Dario
05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
You guys are acting like only argentina beat you up, i remember some other teams were involved too :)
And to say its hard adapting to NBA rules is another bullshit, its NBA players who have hard time adapting to EU rules, every little travel is called, 3 sec violation called, more fauls called. We all know here if you make good dunk you can travel almost from half the court and people would still applaud :)
Oh and why didnt you guys send a TEAM to National Team Tournament instead of bunch of superstars, who i'll say it again: lost not just against argentina :)

picnroll
05-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Oh and why didnt you guys send a TEAM to National Team Tournament instead of bunch of superstars, who i'll say it again: lost not just against argentina :)
Answer: Marketing the stars and a dumb selection committee.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I agree with what Whott said, but one thing...Reggie Miller. He was there in the World Championship played in Indy, when the US lost to Argentina for the first time. Even having an experienced player, the overall problem is the lack of team chemistry. Since International basket has improved, the Team USA people and the NBA can't expect to send a bunch of superstars like it was the All-Star game. Specially since the competitions are played under FIBA rules, which obviously are better for all the teams who are not the U.S.A.

Stop acting like the Argentinian National Team is representative of Europe.

Yeah, I wanna see you all jumping off our bandwagon when we lose!

"Those South Americans....they can't play shit" :lol