PDA

View Full Version : All the Pop bashing is BS

Whisky Dog
05-05-2010, 10:52 PM
What do you want him to do? He has to play the bench, the starting 5 + Parker can't play every minute. He has to have rotations with Bonner and Boggans/Mason because there just isn't anyone else.

The Spurs are down 2 games because Bonner and Mason are the most unclutch chokers in Spurs history. The Spurs have made a decade of success by surrounding the great players with guys who step up in big situations, and these last couple of seasons they've had the 2 biggest chokers in franchise history as vital role players. Blair has also been bad, but he's a rookie.

This is all about Bonner and Mason. No coach can win this series with these bench players, and it's a miracle Pop coached them to a win last series.

TheSpursFNRule
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
People act as if its Pop's fault the Suns have a deeper team. This board is 99% unreadable after a Spurs loss.

timtonymanu
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I 100% agree with the OP.

Only thing that I didnt like was Pop starting Hill again. Parker needs to start.

It's not Pop's fault that Bonner Blair Bogans and Mason can't maintain our leads.

It's like people want Pop to play the same guys for 48 minutes. They arent the Warriors.

TheSpursFNRule
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
BUMP. Because this is the only thread in the next 48 hours with some fucking logic.

superjames1992
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Quality thread. People need to think before they post.

It's not like Pop can magically create LeBron James mid-game and insert him into our lineup. He can only play the cards he is dealt.

mexicanjunior
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Had Pop given Hairston and Mahimini any serious PT to prepare them for playoff basketball, he would have more options than Bonner and Mason. He made his bed with these 2 proven playoff chokers at the start of the season...reaping what he sowed.

Shastafarian
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
You guys serious? I mean, Pop is no Mike Woodson but he played Bonner 2 less minutes than McDyess. 17 to 15. :lmao Unless you guys are also still sold on Bonner being a good 3-pt shooter.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Popovich criticism overblown but warranted. McDyess should be getting 30+ MPG.

Thompson
05-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Had Pop given Hairston and Mahimini any serious PT to prepare them for playoff basketball, he would have more options than Bonner and Mason. He made his bed with these 2 proven playoff chokers at the start of the season...reaping what he sowed.

jag
05-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Pop has chosen to basically split time between Bonner and Dyess...

Coaching

DesignatedT

How so when gentry is playing grant hill and dudley at the 4 the whole fourth quarter?

Quiet Strength

Even if they are not prepared.. they cant play any worse than bonner and mason. Whats worse than doing nothing? Both are more athletic than bonner and mason and I'm sure they would play with alot more energy than them.

ElNono
Doubling as VP of Basketball Operations he definitely has *some* responsibility that Bonner has been a Spur for three seasons and Mason for two seasons.
It's easy to say it's not his fault that Bonner chokes, but we already know he will choke. Play somebody else. It's not like Dice was sucking up a storm or something.
He figured as much with Mason on the first game and glued him to the bench. Bonner should be next.

Brazil
People act as if its Pop's fault the Suns have a deeper team.

if its not his fault, we have to blame who ?

sorry but
- not starting tp was not the good decision
- playing bonner + blair + bogans on the same lineup is not a good idea
- not preparing Ian during the season for playing some meaningful minutes is not a good idea
- not signing him was another bad idea
- playing Dice 17 mn and bonner 15 is dumb
- given up Theo for nothing was not a smart move
should I continue?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-05-2010, 11:10 PM
How so when gentry is playing grant hill and dudley at the 4 the whole fourth quarter?

Bonner got 15. Dice got 17. That's 32 minutes Dice should get.

picc84
05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
LMAO pop taking all his frustration out on reporters in the press conference

jag
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Pop continues to trot Bonner out there like there's some kind of strategy behind it. It's a fucking joke. Channing Frye looked like Houston-Rockets Robert Horry tonight.

ajGambino
05-05-2010, 11:36 PM
How can you say that the Pop bashing is bull when he's putting Bonner in for 15+??
Have you seen Bonner play during the last 8 games?

Even worse, he put Matt Fucking Bonner, Bogans and Blair in the same lineup.
That in and of itself is fucking ridiculous and Pop definitely gets the blame for that.

Dice should of played more.
Bonner should have sat for 48.
We needed to penetrate more.
We needed to hit our free throws.
Manu should have shown up.

Out of that 5 list, Pop was to blame for 3.

DesignatedT
05-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Bonner got 15. Dice got 17. That's 32 minutes Dice should get.

that wouldn't have salvaged games 1&2. Although i dont disagree with that there is much bigger reasons the spurs are down 0-2 at this point and it has nothing to do with popovich.

alchemist
05-05-2010, 11:44 PM
How can you say that the Pop bashing is bull when he's putting Bonner in for 15+??
Have you seen Bonner play during the last 8 games?

Even worse, he put Matt Fucking Bonner, Bogans and Blair in the same lineup.
That in and of itself is fucking ridiculous and Pop definitely gets the blame for that.

Dice should of played more.
Bonner should have sat for 48.
We needed to penetrate more.
We needed to hit our free throws.
Manu should have shown up.

Out of that 5 list, Pop was to blame for 3.
:lol Spurfan is dumb ass hell.

DesignatedT
05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
:lol Spurfan is dumb ass hell.

exactly my thoughts :lol

4>0rings
05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Crater face takes credit or the rings, he's going to have to take credit for the shitty loses. This old coot made the shitty bench we have today.

DesignatedT
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Crater face takes credit or the rings, he's going to have to take credit for the shitty loses. This old coot made the shitty bench we have today.

just wondering... have you ever heard him take credit for the rings?

baseline bum
05-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I'll bash him and RC for not bringing Bruce Bowen back. Sure would be nice to have someone other than Parker who can guard Nash and also hit a three or two in a pressure game.

4>0rings
05-05-2010, 11:59 PM
just wondering... have you ever heard him take credit for the rings?You gave it to him.

DesignatedT
05-06-2010, 12:00 AM
You gave it to him.

ok? you can answer the question if you want to now.

jjktkk
05-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Pop did give Hairston minutes this season. Hairston was hot and cold. Same with Mahimni. Hot and cold doesn't work in the playoffs.

mexicanjunior
05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Pop did give Hairston minutes this season. Hairston was hot and cold. Same with Mahimni. Hot and cold doesn't work in the playoffs.

As opposed to Bonner and Mason being cold and cold...how could they have been any worse than B & M are now?

jjktkk
05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I'll bash him and RC for not bringing Bruce Bowen back. Sure would be nice to have someone other than Parker who can guard Nash and also hit a three or two in a pressure game.

you need to let Bruce go. If Bruce could still play, he would be playing.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
There's plenty that he can do...

I don't ever want to see Bonner or Mason playing another meaningful second for this team. I'm baffled as to why Bonner continues to get chances that he doesn't deserve. At least Mason has an excuse as to why he can't shoot straight.

Particularly in this series, where there is more small ball, no more than three bigs are needed. But of course Bonner can't lose minutes, no, but McDyess, the fifth or six best player and second best big on the team, he's inexplicably losing minutes, as is Blair, the seventh best player and third best big on the team.

Parker, why the fuck is he not starting and playing 40 minutes per game at this point? Are they intentionally trying to piss him off and run him out of town? Or is Pop's ego more important than the teams success? Like he's trying to show the media that even though it's obvious what should happen, he's sticking to his guns. Horrendous coaching.

jjktkk
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
As opposed to Bonner and Mason being cold and cold...how could they have been any worse than B & M are now?

Because neither Hairston nor Mahimni provide what the Spurs need: 3-point shooting.

baseline bum
05-06-2010, 12:12 AM

Bullshit. He retired because he didn't want to play elsewhere after the Spurs didn't offer him a contract. He was one of the few Spurs who gave the team any meaningful minutes in the playoffs last year.

Whisky Dog
05-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I would love if Hairston and Mahinmi could step in and start producing big but it just is so unrealistic. Young guys who got no crunch time regular season burn just don't start lighting it up on both ends in the playoffs. The problem is the construction of the team - having those two as your much needed 3 pt spacing shooters is suicide. I put blame on Pop and RC for that, but really hindsight is 20-20 and both showed enough during regular seasons to expect that they wouldn't be this horrible in the playoffs.

mexicanjunior
Because neither Hairston nor Mahimni provide what the Spurs need: 3-point shooting.

They need more than 3 point shooting...

Hairston and Mahinmi could have helped slow down the Suns 18 offensive rebounds...Hairston could have helped defend Richardson and Hill...Mahinmi could have at least gotten in the way of some of those Amare open dunks...

Could Bonner or Mason do any of what I just mentioned?

pad300

Neither does Bonner or Mason For Fucks Sake!

At least they would a) try and defend, and b) rebound...

mexicanjunior
05-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I put blame on Pop and RC for that, but really hindsight is 20-20 and both showed enough during regular seasons to expect that they wouldn't be this horrible in the playoffs.

All they had to do was look at the playoff film from last year's series against the Mavs to know what to expect this post season. Instead of preparing other options to go into these playoffs, they decided to roll out the same old role players and hope for the best...they are getting their comeuppance for it now.

Spurminator
05-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Yep.

Borosai
05-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Pop deserves his share of the blame for using shitty rotations during the playoffs. You have to give certain guys minutes and hope they produce, but not at the same time. He chose and chooses not to use size (Ratliff/Mahinmi), and it's not about a savior. It's about size, defense and rebounding over... what exactly do we have to count on now.

Whisky Dog
05-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Pop deserves his share of the blame for using shitty rotations during the playoffs. You have to give certain guys minutes and hope they produce, but not at the same time. He chose and chooses not to use size (Ratliff/Mahinmi), and it's not about a savior. It's about size, defense and rebounding over... what exactly do we have to count on now.

Ratliff would be as useless in this series as these two jagoffs, he doesn't have the speed to stay up with anyone the suns use. Mahinmi could possibly be useful if he developed enough, which Pop thought he wouldn't so he didn't develop him.

Trimble87
05-06-2010, 01:30 AM

I posted this in initial thoughts also: Anyone else think it HAS to be a health issue with Dice? There is no reasonable explanation as to why he isn't playing more... unless his body cant handle those minutes.

That said, if he can handle it and Pop just isn't playing him then that is criminal.

Trimble87
05-06-2010, 01:31 AM

+10000

Pop and RC cant stop someone from aging.

4>0rings
05-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Bruce was in doghouse. Bruce wasn't going to play for another team. You have to be a complete idiot to think Bruce couldn't play anymore.

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Of course its not pop's fault and I dont get all the pop bashing either. He knows what he is doing, Pop is great, of course you can question some things, but he knows what he is doing and what he has done in the past, so why not some confidence in him. It's the players, not pop.

I do thought it was wrong starting hill again though.

rmt
05-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Bowen has a more reliable 3pt shot than any one playing for the Spurs now. He can guard everyone except Amare. He's clutch and smart with his rotations. Even at his advanced age he could shut down at least one of these shooters. Are you watching what 37 year old Grant Hill is doing for the Suns? Bowen at least could be matching his production instead of being absolutely useless on the court like Bonner and Mason.

Bowen was one of the few productive players last year in the playoffs. He would have come back for vet. min but no, Pop put whatever he has against Bowen above the good of this team. He could also be mentoring Hill, Hairston and Temple and teaching them a thing or two about defense.

McDyess should have gotten all of Bonner's minutes. At least they have to respect Dice's shot.

Why play small ball when the Suns are so much better at it than the Spurs. At least playing McDyess, the Spurs would win the rebounding, get better shooting instead of Bonner's 0-4 and have someone who plays with heart instead of someone who's afraid of the ball. For the Spurs to shoot so well (51% vs 42%) and lose the game because of rebounding is disheartening.

So yes, Popovich is responsible - because he built the bench and distributes the minutes (Bonner instead of Dice). Although in Popovich's defense, he never expected Finley to bail and to lose his only reliable, playoff-proven 3pt shooter. Can't believe I'm missing Finley. At this point, I'd rather see Parker or Duncan take a 3pter than Bonner or Mason.

I'm almost hoping they lose to the Suns than lose to the Lakers because you know Phil Jackson will have them packing the lane. Without Ratliff and any reliable 3pt shooting, that's going to be ugly (if by some miracle they get past the Suns). Losing to Nash, Hill, etc (everyone except Amare) is easier to stomach than losing to Kobe, Fisher and Jackson.

senorglory
05-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I have no idea what how many minutes he could productively play this year, but I did look this up:

McDyess averaged 34 minutes per game over four games for the Pistons in last year's Playoffs, with averages of 13 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.

This year in 8 games, he's averaged 24 mpg, 6.5 pts, and 6.5 rbds.

senorglory
05-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Bowen was one of the few productive players last year in the playoffs. He would have come back for vet. min but no, Pop put whatever he has against Bowen above the good of this team.

What's your theory on why no other team picked up Bowen, after the Spurs passed?

royal2006
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM

exactly

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Bullshit. He retired because he didn't want to play elsewhere after the Spurs didn't offer him a contract. He was one of the few Spurs who gave the team any meaningful minutes in the playoffs last year.

Bullshit right back atcha. He was done then, and he's done now. He's 39. Let it go, man.

Calavera
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
McDysse should play more than Bonner, actually if red rocket doesn`t hit his first 3 3pt attempts he shouldn`t stay anymore in the game.
McDysse is way more consistent with his mid-range jumpers and in fact spreads the floor just as much as Mat.
We can`t relly on Bonner`s 3s, it should be obvious to the coaching staff. The gamble with his abilities is too risky for the playoffs, and McDyess is the better deal right now.
I support Pop for starting Hill - he`s able to answer the call and Parker has no problem coming off the bench. Hill needs confidence in order to provide solid game and starting him is the best way to get some.
The key to winning these series is Steve Nash, I bet he`ll get tired or injured (like Ginobilli`s nose or something) and we`ll kill them without worries!

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
People act as if its Pop's fault the Suns have a deeper team.

:lol

Pop built this team. Decided Bonner and Mason were going to contribute in these playoffs eventhough they proved they are worthless last playoffs.

So is at fault then?

rmt
05-06-2010, 01:27 PM
What's your theory on why no other team picked up Bowen, after the Spurs passed?

My theory is that he simply couldn't see himself playing for another team. I think any of the other contenders (LA, DAL, Den, Phx) would love to have him for veteran's min. but after so many bitter playoff battles against them, he couldn't bring himself to play for them.

In response to another poster, Bowen's currently 38, only 1 year older than Grant Hill. Bowen was in excellent shape - it's not like he took a lot of pounding like Duncan. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that his streak of consecutive games was broken by suspension (Chris Paul). I can't recall Bowen having any sort of injury.

I just don't believe that he couldn't be of some help right now - seeing as the Spurs are hurting for 3pt shooting and perimeter defense. What's the Spurs' alternative - Mason, Bogans, Bonner? With Finley and Ratliff gone, there's no playoff-proven player on the bench. He was clutch, cheap, proven, knows the system, didn't make bone-headed plays like Jefferson, etc. - no reason he shouldn't have been brought back.

NO MORE BONNER - play Dice. These 2 things (Bowen and no Bonner) and the Spurs would be up 2-0 now. IMO, just the sight of Bowen in uniform would have prevented Nash's performance in game 1 and if they had won game 1, the Spurs would be sitting pretty. These were winnable games - they played well. Now all the pressure is on the Spurs, and the margin for error is razor-slim.

Edit: Instead of all those memories of Bowen hounding him, Nash was licking his chops at the sight of second-year Hill who he carved up. His confidence grew and along with it the confidence of all the young, inexperienced bench. Parker needs to guard Nash even moment Nash is on the floor.

Baseline
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
The Pop bashing is not BS at all. Here's what Amare said after Game 2. You tell me if Pop isn't making Amare's life easier by playing Bonner so many minutes.

(On rebounding) “We’re doing a good job collectively of rebounding. It’s not always easy when you’re battling guys like (Tim) Duncan and (Antonio) McDyess – both guys are great on the boards. I think the guards are doing a great job of crashing the boards and coming in there and helping us out. It’s a total team effort out there every night – all the guys do a phenomenal job for us.”

The mere fact that Bonner is in the game gives Amare extra energy.

dbestpro
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I would like Pop to start using a cattle prod on Bonner.

senorglory
05-10-2010, 11:27 PM
My theory is that he simply couldn't see himself playing for another team. I think any of the other contenders (LA, DAL, Den, Phx) would love to have him for veteran's min. but after so many bitter playoff battles against them, he couldn't bring himself to play for them.

I like your theory, but I've never read that story anywhere.

pjjrfan
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
There's enough blame to go around. Pop shouldn't be immune to his share. He could've done some things different, like playing Dice more minutes, giving Hairston and Temple more play but the truth is that this team didn't have the horses to hang with the Suns. The team never jelled, and injuries had a lot to do with it. Jefferson never got it, Spurs basketball that is. Tony was hampered by minor injuries since the summer, It took Manu half a season to get his game going. In the meantime Tim had to carry us the first half and at his age it's tough to expect him to pick it up a notch come playoffs, Tim was way off his game, or even worse, what we saw is now what Timmy is. An average talent. It's really baffling that at one time our bench was the best in the league, scoring wise. tony's hand injury and our poor record put Pop in a bad spot and he made Manu a starter, and in the end this more than anything killed us. Because while the bench didn't hurt us against the Mavs the Suns were like sharks getting back into games with their backups and going on feeding frenzies when the Bench guys came in. So I just don't see any move that Pop could've made that would have made a difference, i do see where he could have given the younger guys some valuable experience and playing them and showing some confidence in them. These guys know who has it and who doesn't, seeing Gentry telling Drazen not worry about mistakes to be aggressive, I remember Pop once telling Manu if he was nervous during a crucial playoffs on one of our title runs and telling Manu not to worry that is how he should feel.

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
the suns were better. thats it. its over with. Even if we played a perfect series we still would have lost. they simply had more weapons.

itzsoweezee
05-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Pop's roster moves/rotations have been horrible all season. He deserves all the blame.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2010, 02:08 AM
It's not like Pop can develop young players by trusting them during the regular season, particularly when they play well, and it's not like Pop can keep veteran free agents instead of trading them away for cap relief. God damn, people, what do you think he is, the coach or something? Fuck.

D. Nile
05-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Coach Pop's got the yobs right where he want em, chaps. There's no need to doubt him. He's just brill! We'll win the game on the pitch tomorrow and be right back on track to win it all. It's going to be a smashing success! This team has bollocks and they're coming into their own. And with the Finals less than a month away, they'll be peaking at the right time. Just keep the faith, mates!

Toodle pip!

spurs10
05-11-2010, 03:14 AM
D.Nile.....yes, your character is mildly amusing, but I still think you are an incredibly crazy misanthrope and need to stay away from the pipe.....cherrio.....old mate...right then ol'boy.....

rascal
05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
People act as if its Pop's fault the Suns have a deeper team. This board is 99% unreadable after a Spurs loss.

It is. Pop is responsible for putting this roster together.

TJastal
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
It is. Pop is responsible for putting this roster together.

Are you saying Pop is the GM of the spurs too? No waaay...fuck dude I would have never guessed.....

lefty
05-11-2010, 09:28 AM
We lost the seires in the 1st 2 games when Pop played Bonner

Everytime he was on the court, Suns had decisive runs :flipoff

All the Pop bashing is not BS.

dbestpro
05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
This year is easily the worse job of coaching that Pop has had.

It started by playing players out of position. They never were able to get into a comfort zone. He should have known that this is the easiest way to blow up a player what with the eveidence of RMJ at the end of 2009.

Playing players out of position builds to the next problem, which is small ball. Our game is built on our defensive presence. There is no defensive advantage, when we go small.

Which leads to the next problem, which is the wearing down of Timmy. Too often he was asked to do too much by himself down low and inside. This guy was just beat up tired at the end of the season.

Which leads us to the next problem, which is players particularly on the bench simply lost their confidence due to all of the above.

Which leads us to the next problem, which is were the big 3 pressed trying to compensate for the rest of the team rather than just play their game.

So, for me, yeah, I pretty much put this season on Pop.

rascal
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Are you saying Pop is the GM of the spurs too? No waaay...fuck dude I would have never guessed.....

The main problem is the bad job the front office has been doing putting the team together not so much on who they are playing.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Who should coach the Spurs next season?

clambake
05-11-2010, 12:02 PM

rick carlisle

J_Paco
05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

I don't think he should either be fired or resign. But, it's obvious that he needs to start developing more young players (not just Hill and Blair) and needs to rid himself of the tendencies of playing "small-ball" and the use of a 3-point specialist at PF. Pop needs to return to his defensive-minded roots and should play more traditional line-ups.

Dr. Gonzo
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Avery Johnson

lol

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 02:41 PM
The op and the PopApologists on this thread have yet to answer any of the many valid points made by the *bashers*.

1. Popazit as VP of all things basketball had tons of say in making this roster.
2. Popazit chose to play Finley for half a season and playoff choker Bonner instead of getting others playoff ready.
3. The 1st coach and 1st time in Soft Dick Jeffersons career his offense has been nil. If he did not fit into *the system* (as if Popazit even has an offensive system) why did Popazit choose to bring him here at 15 mil per year?
4. Why put somone like Ratliff on the roster if the sole reason was to ship him out in midseason.
5. Bruce Bowen could not be brought in for minimal so that Finley could keep a spot, Ratcliff could rust on the bench, Ian could rust on the bench, Temple could play for 10 games.
6. Blair was absolutely consistent virtually all season long and certainly continuing into the playoffs. Yet make one mistake and he gets pulled while Bonehead gets 2-3 times the minutes. Idiotic to the tenth power.

Your silence speaks volumes PopApologists.
The Pop bashing should be increased tenfold. Local media pussies just want a paycheck.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

D. Nile
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeh just watch how the ol' coach does tonight. He isn't the dogs bollocks in the business for nowt! The chaps are going to be sacked up and ready to go, and Pop's going to hae em well schooled and ready to emerge victorious! Keep the faith, Spurs fans! It's clear sailing from here on out.

Toodle pip!

sabar
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
This team was garbage. Ian/Theo/Hairston were not going to save it. Yes, not developing your talent is a big mistake. No, this does not put us past the Suns, let alone the Lakers.

Our non-existent cap space should force Pop to develop prospects this next year. Time to move on, phx was the better team top to bottom, get over it.

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
If only he would consider coming to San Antonio besides Miami? He may have in the past, now I'm sure he knows Popped has made idiotic personell moves/run the team into the ground enough that he'll stay away.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Pat-Riley-might-coach-again-but-only-if-someone?urn=nba,238571

D. Nile
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
The op and the PopApologists on this thread have yet to answer any of the many valid points made by the *bashers*.

1. Popazit as VP of all things basketball had tons of say in making this roster.
2. Popazit chose to play Finley for half a season and playoff choker Bonner instead of getting others playoff ready.
3. The 1st coach and 1st time in Soft Dick Jeffersons career his offense has been nil. If he did not fit into *the system* (as if Popazit even has an offensive system) why did Popazit choose to bring him here at 15 mil per year?
4. Why put somone like Ratliff on the roster if the sole reason was to ship him out in midseason.
5. Bruce Bowen could not be brought in for minimal so that Finley could keep a spot, Ratcliff could rust on the bench, Ian could rust on the bench, Temple could play for 10 games.
6. Blair was absolutely consistent virtually all season long and certainly continuing into the playoffs. Yet make one mistake and he gets pulled while Bonehead gets 2-3 times the minutes. Idiotic to the tenth power.

Your silence speaks volumes PopApologists.
The Pop bashing should be increased tenfold. Local media pussies just want a paycheck.

I'm not familiar with this dialect or terminology. Is this sumfink used frequently in the colonies? At first I thought it might be some kide of cheeky remarks, made by a piece of tom tit who was projecting from behind his computer, but I figured there couldn't be someone that miserable and worthless here; I just know thou wouldn't consume time and energy doing it multiple times every time he posted.

Ta. :toast

Toodle pip!

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm not familiar with this dialect or terminology. Is this sumfink used frequently in the colonies? At first I thought it might be some kide of cheeky remarks, made by a piece of tom tit who was projecting from behind his computer, but I figured there couldn't be someone that miserable and worthless here; I just know thou wouldn't consume time and energy doing it multiple times every time he posted.

Ta. :toast

Toodle pip!
Isn't a gay bar happy hour somewhere missing you?

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
If only he would consider coming to San Antonio besides Miami? He may have in the past, now I'm sure he knows Popped has made idiotic personell moves/run the team into the ground enough that he'll stay away.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Pat-Riley-might-coach-again-but-only-if-someone?urn=nba,238571

Pat Riley? Why not just say Pat Riley?

And if you're convinced that Riley won't take the job, surely there is someone else that you have in mind as a secondary alternative, right?

Chomag
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
This team was garbage. Ian/Theo/Hairston were not going to save it. Yes, not developing your talent is a big mistake. No, this does not put us past the Suns, let alone the Lakers.

Our non-existent cap space should force Pop to develop prospects this next year. Time to move on, phx was the better team top to bottom, get over it.

I somewhat have to agree. Sure lose one or two games and maybe the loses are not because the other team is better then you. However lose 4 in a row and get swept, now that just means you got beat by a better team. Bottom line is this years Spurs team was just not that good.

As for Pop, I don't know what has become of him but you would have some major blinders on not to see his coaching level is falling off a cliff. Would I want a new coach? Not really, I would rather have the Pop of old back but the question is does Pop still have that in him? Maybe it's just there is a time that even the greats have to go in replace of a fresher outlook.

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Pat Riley? Why not just say Pat Riley?

And if you're convinced that Riley won't take the job, surely there is someone else that you have in mind as a secondary alternative, right?
Didn't know clicking on the link would be so difficult for you.
I provided the link so verification of Riley considering a return to coaching could be made.
I'm not fully convinced Pat Riley will not take the job if offered. 99%.
This ownership will not part with Popped tho so......anyways.

I provided a list of 20 candidates. You and Eric_Park_Cane never responded.

D. Nile
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Isn't a gay bar happy hour somewhere missing you?

Sken, yeh need a skinfull and a really hippocrockapig so that yeh can get the salmon canyon ye be needing. A swamper hopper should dae the trick.

It's a much better option than being a in a hump twat. :toast

Toodle pip!

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Didn't know clicking on the link would be so difficult for you.
I provided the link so verification of Riley considering a return to coaching could be made.
I'm not fully convinced Pat Riley will not take the job if offered. 99%.
This ownership will not part with Popped tho so......anyways.

I provided a list of 20 candidates. You and Eric_Park_Cane never responded.

Wait -- where is that list? I long ago stopped reading your complaints and your refusal to accord even a modest amount of respect to an opposing viewpoint since the simple fact of the matter is that no matter how much you despise Popovich, the odds are substantial that he'll coach the Spurs next year if that's what he chooses to do.

With that said, if you have 20 candidates for the job, why not just post them here?

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Wait -- where is that list? I long ago stopped reading your complaints and your refusal to accord even a modest amount of respect to an opposing viewpoint since the simple fact of the matter is that no matter how much you despise Popovich, the odds are substantial that he'll coach the Spurs next year if that's what he chooses to do.

With that said, if you have 20 candidates for the job, why not just post them here?
You long ago stopped reading my posts but you'd like me to post my list of 20?
Okay. Is this like "you can't quit me"? :toast

the simple fact of the matter is that no matter how much you despise Popovich, the odds are substantial that he'll coach the Spurs next year if that's what he chooses to do.
Holt won't let me have any input. Nor you, it's true. Yet this is a basketball discussion board and that's why i made a thread on whether or not the Spurs will go the same route as The Big 3 Celtics of the 1980s.
Please join, respectfully.

Baseline
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Gregg Popovich and his 80+ million payroll (which as a front office executive he helped create) just got swept by a Suns team with one legit big man.

Yet he shouldn't be bashed?

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Gregg Popovich and his 80+ million payroll (which as a front office executive he helped create) just got swept by a Suns team with one legit big man.

Yet he shouldn't be bashed?
:toast Grab a snickers bar, Baseline.

Because the PopApologists aren't gonna answer that.

Whisky Dog
05-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Exactly. These fans aren't realizing that the NBA is a superstar league. With the exception of one Pistons team, you don't win it unless you have a bonafide star and the Spurs don't anymore. Manu and TD aren't on that level consistently anymore and Parker isn't on that level. The Spurs will be championship contenders nit by developing young marginal talent like Hairston and Mahinmi, but by sucking hard, hitting the lotto balls on the next bad ass star in the making, and develop him + surround him with role guys who do their jobs when it counts. That's the Phil Jackson/Pat Riley/Pop etc. Formula for championships in this league.

cantthinkofanything
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
The Mavs are picking up their option on Barea and here we are just sitting on our hands. I demand action by the Spurs front office.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
:toast Grab a snickers bar, Baseline.

Because the PopApologists aren't gonna answer that.

Who should coach the Spurs next year -- other than Pat Riley?

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
The Mavs are picking up their option on Barea and here we are just sitting on our hands. I demand action by the Spurs front office.
Yes lets bring back Finley and Bonner.
Action!

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
With the exception of one Pistons team, you don't win it unless you have a bonafide star and the Spurs don't anymore.

Even the 2004 Pistons were half comprised of lottery picks.

rmt
05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
It's who Popovich decided to play during the season. Instead of playing Ratliff (5pt/4.2reb/2blks in Charlotte) and Ian (when warranted against athletic teams like Portland/OKC), he played Bonner (7pt/3reb/0.4blk). This greatly affected the quality of paint defense and placed too much on Duncan's shoulders so that he was worn down by the playoffs.

Every year I think that Duncan's done at the end of the year, and every year he comes back and performs wonderfully at the beginning of the year. Remember at one point he was 2nd in PER behind Lebron. It's just that at his age, he can't maintain that level for the whole season. Playing Ratliff and developing Ian would have eased Duncan's load and resulted in a fresher Duncan and contributing bench bigs for the playoffs.

Not only was Jefferson learning a new system but playing him so much out of position and not running more plays to get him integrated into the offense was on Popovich. Why not play Ian instead of small ball and further confusing Jefferson. I'd much rather see Ian on LaMarcus Aldridge than Jefferson.

Bowen should have been brought back - the perimeter defense and 3pt shooting would have been better. His defense (even at his advanced age is still better than any other perimeter player on the Spurs). His 3 pt shot (which isn't affected by age) is still better than any other Spurs player. That's 20 min. of "corporate knowledge" not wasted on Bogans trying to learn the system and not contributing anything in the playoffs.

It's not age that matters as long as players get adequate rest. Look at what Nash (36) with his bad back and Hill (38) with his bad ankle did. Bowen was an iron man (virtually injury-free and only a year older than Hill) and Ratliff (38) could have easily contributed 10-15 mins. a game during the RS.

A few more games won at the beginning of the season means that Manu wouldn't have had to kill himself getting the Spurs into the playoffs. Maybe Finley wouldn't have bailed if things didn't look so bad. He shot 51%FG and 46%3PT for Boston in RS.

A fresher Duncan and Manu, Bowen to throw on whoever's hot (eg. Nash in game 1 or Dragic in game 3), Ian/Ratliff occasionally on Amare = better paint + perimeter defense, better 3pt shooting, more speed/athleticism, better bench. No Bonner, Bogans, Mason.

It all comes back to a better/developed bench means rest for older players in RS and much-needed contributions in the playoffs. So yes, it's mostly on Popovich - he put the team together, and he decides who gets minutes.

ChumpDumper
05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm all for letting Pop go -- just answer the question.
Who should coach the Spurs next year -- other than Pat Riley?

superbigtime
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
if its not his fault, we have to blame who ?

sorry but
- not starting tp was not the good decision
- playing bonner + blair + bogans on the same lineup is not a good idea
- not preparing Ian during the season for playing some meaningful minutes is not a good idea
- not signing him was another bad idea
- playing Dice 17 mn and bonner 15 is dumb
- given up Theo for nothing was not a smart move
should I continue?

Fucking A. Playing Mason AT ALL is all-time stupid. He played in that throwaway game 5 at Dallas and was COMPLETE garbage. If he was half ass in that game, I could understand playing him a little against PHX. Pop overplayed Bonner and underplayed Dice. Pop played the garbage he signed. He's at fault for acquiring these chumps and he's to blame for playing these inept chokers. Bonner should play a few minutes in the 1st half and unless he's rolling that's it. He's not a 4th quarter player and everyone, anyone knows it.

superbigtime
05-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Those guys just did not get a fair shake in the regular season. Hairston couldn't buy playing time behind Finley and Mason. Mahinmi was buried deeper than Theo was at the end of the bench. Hairston could have helped on D consistently and his offense isn't near as cold or inconsistent as Mason's. I take that back... Mason's offense and D both consistently suck. I hope Hairston has a place on this team next year. And Ian ... surely you don't let a 23 year old with that size and athleticism go find a comfy home with another team. Pop acquired these guys and it's his responsibility (and his coaching underlings) to develop them. He failed in that regard.

FromWayDowntown
05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm all for letting Pop go -- just answer the question.

He's got a list of 20 alternatives; you'd think answering that question would be easy.

lefty
05-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Peter Holt: You're fired Pop!

Pop: Get the fuck out of my office.
:lol Not far from the truth

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd posted it here http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3945808&highlight=Bill+Walton#post3945808 and then never heard a peep out of you PopApologists.

Posted on 12-26-2009

T_Park and The View Gals,
Sorry about being late. Isp connection probs yesterday, the promised day.

Pat Riles
Phil Jackson
Aggie Hoops Fan
Fabbs
Bill Russell
John Wooden
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu GNob
Bob Horry
Billy Walton
Ben Howland
Hakeem O
Tom Thibodeau
Tim Grgurich
Rick Carlisle
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillan
Rick Adleman
Doug Moe
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd have to remove Carlisle after his sucky, almost Poplike refusal to leave little Frenchie in (who rocked and brought the Mavs right back into it) and instead stick with 0-7 Mr. Peanuthead.

Thompson
05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Does it really have to be binary? Pop is great or fire Pop?

I don't want to fire Pop, I'm not sure if we could get anyone better (and the risk alone makes it a bad choice). That doesn't mean he hasn't made some really bewildering decisions. You can criticize Pop without wanting him to be fired, and he does deserve some criticism for some of his bizarre decisions over the past few years.

Fabbs
05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Does it really have to be binary? Pop is great or fire Pop?

I don't want to fire Pop, I'm not sure if we could get anyone better (and the risk alone makes it a bad choice). That doesn't mean he hasn't made some really bewildering decisions. You can criticize Pop without wanting him to be fired, and he does deserve some criticism for some of his bizarre decisions over the past few years.
That would require him to make adjustments, and stubborness (for better or worse) seems to be a trademark of his personality. No reason to believe he is willing to admit he is wrong and make adjustments.

His bizarro stubborn moves go back to 2006 with a completely successful 60+ win season and 1st Round dismantling of the Kings he resorts to small balls and gets worked by rookie coach Avery. 2005 summer on it's safe to say he has more or less sucked 4 of 5 playoff years.

SA210
05-12-2010, 01:14 AM

:tu

It's what I've said all season.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Props to Fabbs for assembling the dumbest "list" evah. Good to know you were never serious about any of this.

Extra props for SA210 for pimping John Edwards for president one last time.

BadOdor
05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
I'd posted it here http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3945808&highlight=Bill+Walton#post3945808 and then never heard a peep out of you PopApologists.

Posted on 12-26-2009

Pat Riles
Phil Jackson
Aggie Hoops Fan
Fabbs
Bill Russell
John Wooden
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu GNob
Bob Horry
Billy Walton
Ben Howland
Hakeem O
Tom Thibodeau
Tim Grgurich
Rick Carlisle
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillan
Rick Adleman
Doug Moe
I'd have to remove Carlisle after his sucky, almost Poplike refusal to leave little Frenchie in (who rocked and brought the Mavs right back into it) and instead stick with 0-7 Mr. Peanuthead.

Son are you sure you're not a laker fan? you're pretty dumb.

FromWayDowntown
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Posted on 12-26-2009

Pat Riles
Phil Jackson
Aggie Hoops Fan
Fabbs
Bill Russell
John Wooden
Tim Duncan
Bruce Bowen
Manu GNob
Bob Horry
Billy Walton
Ben Howland
Hakeem O
Tom Thibodeau
Tim Grgurich
Rick Carlisle
Jerry Sloan
Nate McMillan
Rick Adleman
Doug Moe

How are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson not on that list?

EricB
05-12-2010, 09:15 AM
His list of 20 includes himself and aggiehoopsfan? Seriously?!?

How the f can u take that seriously?

Obstructed_View
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I somewhat have to agree. Sure lose one or two games and maybe the loses are not because the other team is better then you. However lose 4 in a row and get swept, now that just means you got beat by a better team. Bottom line is this years Spurs team was just not that good.

The big difference was the Suns' bench. Hairston and Dragic were drafted right next to each other. Suns fans were saying Dragic wasn't worth a shit while he was actually getting minutes learning how to play. Lots of people said the Suns drafted the "bad" Lopez. I guess the Suns are just that much better at drafting as well as getting young players to contribute despite how much they suck.