PDA

View Full Version : Refs Screwed Spurs

mavsfan1000
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
It was pretty obvious in this game that the refs were on the Suns side. I feel bad for you that the refs allowed all the suns to push people around randomly with no foul call. And there's no way that one sun player was able to save that ball from way out of bounds. Anyways this series isn't over and I expect the Spurs will get more calls at home.

TampaDude
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Joey Crawford = Spurs loss

Spurs = 22 FTs

Suns = 37 FTs

Plus, they killed us on the boards. Suns in 7.

noles1983
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
spurs=spurs loss

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
are you nuts? They screwed themselves, tenfold. They love it.

m33p0
05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
nah. they lost the game on their own.

Mal
Suns got a lot of 50-50 calls, but that didnt cost Spurs this game. Other things made this

DontStopBelieving
The reffing was in the Suns favor surely. But the Spurs still should have overcome this and won, it is what Championship teams do.

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Suns got the homecourt whistle, just like the Spurs will probably get..officiating had very, very little to do with the outcome of this game..

TDMVPDPOY
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
duncan doesnt get calls like he use too

ghill3, manu needs to pull out that butt plug cause they suck in this series

bonner and mason needs to stay at home and dont rock up

blair and dice needs more minutes

Quiet Strength
The refs sucked ass but they are not the reason the spurs lost.

BeeGee
The Spurs allowing NBDL-quality players like Dudley snatch offensive boards and score 11 points is what lost the game.

Also, how many 3s do you have to eat before someone stays home on Shannon Frye?

lmao

newacc
I didn't even notice the refs. Spurs were done in during that stretch where the Suns either scored or got the rebound and scored and Channing Frye continually putting in 3s. Those Frye 3s were back breakers.

Cry Havoc
05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
The reffing was in the Suns favor surely. But the Spurs still should have overcome this and won, it is what Championship teams do.

Suns got the homecourt whistle, just like the Spurs will probably get..officiating had very, very little to do with the outcome of this game..

+1 to each of these. Atrocious officiating tonight, but they completely blew calls on both sides of the ball. We had every chance to win this game.

m33p0
can't hit jump shots
+
can't rebound
+
can't defend
+
can't get the loose balls
-----------------------
loss

Whisky Dog
Solution? Make your damn shots. Rotate to shooters. Play good p&r defense.

I'm not using the refs to take away from the awesome performance Frye and Dudley put on.

Chomag
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Spurs lost this game sorry. The refs didn't grab all those rebounds.

UnWantedTheory
05-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah we did get screwed by the Ref's bad...but at the end of the night we didnt hustle enough & hit the key shots. We got out rebounded & didnt shoot what FT's we got very well. But I will say the foul trouble did fuck us alot. There was a long stretch where TD sat out. It was dissapointing to see how well we played than to see the Ref's help take it over. The problem with that is, we should have overcome....& we didnt. We let it get to us. Tonight we were weak in the mind.

ShoogarBear
05-05-2010, 11:00 PM
it was pretty obvious in this game that the refs were on the suns side. I feel bad for you that the refs allowed all the suns to push people around randomly with no foul call. And there's no way that one sun player was able to save that ball from way out of bounds. Anyways this series isn't over and i expect the spurs will get more calls at home.

[not sure if serious]
?
[/not sure if serious]

SpurOutofTownFan
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
There is some right on this point although i don't think in any way that was the game. the refs had a pretty inconsistent game leading a little bit on the suns side. but the game was lost because of other issues.

this wasn't like the game the mavs won getting all the stupid calls.

m33p0
05-05-2010, 11:03 PM
that stretch in the 1st half where Blair made Dudley look like Moses Malone was the deathknell.

SCdac
05-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't know about the refs.... but the TNT coverage is way too fucking Suns-centric for my liking. Everything the Suns do is 'amazing' (even if they're down), and how many diagrams do we need to see of Nash dribbling and dishing? Harlan sure is quick to point out mismatches in the Suns favor, and shit like that. It almost feels like I'm watching the Suns game on a local Phoenix station at times, even when the Spurs had some momentum.

GSH
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
The refs didn't take this game over, like they do sometimes. And a lot of the whistles the Spurs drew were because they failed to box out and gave up offensive boards - then they fouled to try and prevent the put-backs.

Our bench got their asses kicked by their bench. We used to always have one or two players who would step up on nights like this.

ploto
05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Actually, the refs messed up both ways-- the one ball went off Manu's head and the shot Jefferson blocked hit the back board first.

I also need to go back and count how many Spurs fouls came on put backs of offensive boards.

mavsfan1000
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Actually, the refs messed up both ways-- the one ball went off Manu's head and the shot Jefferson blocked hit the back board first.
True but down the stretch it really seemed to go the suns way. The more the crowd got into the game, the more the refs were swayed to give the Suns the benefit of calls.

ajGambino
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Offensive rebounds killed us.

Spurs: 7 (Duncan had 6)
Suns: 18 (Dudley had 4!)

Our free throw shooting doesn't help either..

ploto
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
True but down the stretch it really seemed to go the suns way.

Fourth quarter fouls before the intentional ones at the end:

Spurs 7
Suns 7

kobyz
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
i don't get it, how the Spurs let Joey Crawford ref them, after what heppened with him they have legitimate right to demand from NBA that he will never ref them.

rayray2k8
05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I blame Bonner.

Fabbs
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Offensive rebounds killed us.

Spurs: 7 (Duncan had 6)
Suns: 18 (Dudley had 4!)

Our free throw shooting doesn't help either..
Anyway to tell us these stats when the Grizzly Blair was in?

carina_gino20
05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
The Suns outplayed and outhustled the Spurs. Refs were the least of the Spurs' problems tonight.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Didn't count them all but I know of 4 offensive rebounds were on his face. Don't think he's the culprit though but the lineup itself was just bad.

alchemist
05-05-2010, 11:34 PM

I also need to go back and count how many Spurs fouls came on put backs of offensive boards.
Nash was getting away playing NFL style with those push offs in front of the refs.
---------
While I do believe the Suns got the benefit of the whistle, putting the loss on that is a fail. They lost because they couldn't score and sucked booty hole on defense.

m33p0
05-05-2010, 11:34 PM

definitely when dudley had at least 2.

GSH
05-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Spurs 7
Suns 7

Yep. I'm the first one to call out refs when they lean too far one way or the other. (I probably catch more shit for it than anyone else here, too.) The refs didn't take this game over. The Suns are a good team, and the Spurs have to play good ball to beat them. Some Spurs played good ball, but our bench just sucked. If Bonner had stepped into his 3's the way Dudley did, we would be coming home 1-1. And that's what Bonner's there for.

ploto
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Nash was getting away playing NFL style with those push offs in front of the refs.

Spurs were doing it just as much.

mavsfan1000
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM

Spurs 7
Suns 7
Ok well those stats don't always tell the whole story. The suns deserved the win tonight. I'll shut up about the refs now.

alchemist
05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
no, not really.

v2freak
05-06-2010, 01:42 AM
In my opinion the %s for the Spurs loss

40% refs
60% Spurs

Spurs messed up a bunch of times but still had the lead midway through the 3rd quarter. But it's extremely hard to play when you get called for a foul each time you play defense. Spurs had more field goals made, more blocks, more steals, more assists and also more player fouls. Most egregious was my witnessing Stoudemire getting the and-1 after dunking the ball.

FkLA
05-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Nah. Refs had nothing to do with it.

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 04:49 AM
The refs had nothing to do with it. We got beat fair and square.

Horse
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM
I was'nt all that bad, but it did get a little funny when we went up 6 in the 3rd. All the sudden offensive foul, traveling, 3 seconds, and on and on. They hit some big shots though. I think we need to keep more people back and give up some of our fast break opportunities cause offensive boards lost this game.

florige
05-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Joey Crawford = Spurs loss

Spurs = 22 FTs

Suns = 37 FTs

Plus, they killed us on the boards. Suns in 7.

I have a feeling this will go 7 games and the Suns will win it on their home floor.

If this goes 7 games there is no way I see the Suns beating us. I don't care if it is home. With the history they have of screwing up someway somehow against us, I have no doubt if it goes 7 we will beat them at home. All the pressure would be on them, and we all know how well they handle pressure.

DarrinS
05-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Refs didn't screw the Spurs, this guy did.

"Clank" is the sound immediately following this.

http://www.wkxl1450.com/site/images/stories/matt-bonner-jumpshot.jpg

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I didn't even notice the refs. Spurs were done in during that stretch where the Suns either scored or got the rebound and scored and Channing Frye continually putting in 3s. Those Frye 3s were back breakers.

The refs were equally poor. Two easy calls they missed (ploto below) and Parker carried the ball at least twice that I can see. Duncan was allowed to camp in the lane all game long as well.

The refs sucked ass but they are not the reason the spurs lost.

The refs were equally inept at both ends of the court.

Yep.

dreamcastrocks
05-06-2010, 08:31 AM
---------
While I do believe the Suns got the benefit of the whistle, putting the loss on that is a fail. They lost because they couldn't score and sucked booty hole on defense.

Yep. Look at Parker/Manu on the P&R. They use their offhand to push off and get separation all the time.

Agloco
05-06-2010, 09:36 AM
It was pretty obvious in this game that the refs were on the Suns side. I feel bad for you that the refs allowed all the suns to push people around randomly with no foul call. And there's no way that one sun player was able to save that ball from way out of bounds. Anyways this series isn't over and I expect the Spurs will get more calls at home.

Ummmm no.

The Suns are playing better basketball when it matters. Period.

SpurCharger
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
The Spurs Living and dying on the perimeter Is why We Didnt get free throw Attempts.... If Parker, Ginobili, Hill, and Jefferson Start Goin to the Bucket more, then You can Blame the refs.... Plus Duncan Started that Fade away Bullshit again, When Duncan Goes up strong He gets That call 90% Of the time.....Im not saying there were not questionable calls.... but The spurs Killed themselves.... Fans Need to Stop Blaming The refs Or pop For every Loss.....

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
The stretch from about 10:45 in the second to about 7:30, when the Suns took the game from 32-21 to 36-32 based on about 5 or 6 offensive rebounds and 2 or 3 and 1's on second chances ultimately decided the game. If the Spurs complete their stops by getting rebounds and capitalize on their ability to score early in the game, they put the Suns in a much deeper hole and keep the crowd out of the game.

Failing to do that, being soft on the defensive glass throughout the game, settling for ill-advised jumpers in transition, committing two absolutely stupid fouls (Bogans' block on Barbosa at the end of the first quarter and Blair's foul of Nash under the Suns' basket in the 4th), and poor defensive rotations at time were more than sufficient to do the Spurs in.

The 4 officials who worked the game had absolutely nothing to do with any of those things.

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
For those who might care about such things, I'm relatively confident at this point that Danny Crawford will be the chief for Game 3 and that Monty McCutchen will be the chief for Game 4.

z0sa
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
The officials were not the problem.

Arrowch4
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
nah. they lost the game on their own.

This.....

sananspursfan21
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
thanks for the sympathy and yes, the refs have really sucked

Booyah30
05-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Seriously, Spurs fans. We took crap from you guys years ago about how big of whiners we were when we lost to you. SHUT up and take it. I am sick of your WHINING! How many times did DUNCAN hit FRYE with elbows in the 4th and then FRYE gets called for the foul. It all evens out. As you told us . QUIT WHINING and PLAY THE GAME.

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Seriously, Spurs fans. We took crap from you guys years ago about how big of whiners we were when we lost to you. SHUT up and take it. I am sick of your WHINING! How many times did DUNCAN hit FRYE with elbows in the 4th and then FRYE gets called for the foul. It all evens out. As you told us . QUIT WHINING and PLAY THE GAME.

Curiously, this thread was started by someone called "Mavsfan" and the majority of Spurs fans who've responded have disclaimed any contention that the officials made a difference in the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
For those who might care about such things, I'm relatively confident at this point that Danny Crawford will be the chief for Game 3 and that Monty McCutchen will be the chief for Game 4.

This is good for the Spurs, right?

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
This is good for the Spurs, right?

It won't make any difference if the Spurs get killed on the defensive glass, don't hustle out to shooters, commit stupid fouls, or miss an excessive number of free throws.

easy7
05-06-2010, 12:24 PM
"Bret screwed Bret."
signed Vince Mcmahon

NFGIII
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
The Spurs allowing NBDL-quality players like Dudley snatch offensive boards and score 11 points is what lost the game.

Los Suns out hustled the Spurs in this game. And their bench was way more productive than the Spurs's bench. RMJ, Bonner and Bogans all have been MIA in this series. The Spurs need an 8 - 9 rotation and have essentially a 6 - 6.5 one. Not going to cut it if they want to win the series.

Also, how many 3s do you have to eat before someone stays home on Shannon Frye?

Really! Like this isn't rocket science.

The stretch from about 10:45 in the second to about 7:30, when the Suns took the game from 32-21 to 36-32 based on about 5 or 6 offensive rebounds and 2 or 3 and 1's on second chances ultimately decided the game. If the Spurs complete their stops by getting rebounds and capitalize on their ability to score early in the game, they put the Suns in a much deeper hole and keep the crowd out of the game.

Agreed. They had it going and then started to get out worked. I thought the Spurs were on the verge to making it a 15 or greater point lead but when that sequence was finished so was the Spurs MO. They never really got it back.

Failing to do that, being soft on the defensive glass throughout the game, settling for ill-advised jumpers in transition, committing two absolutely stupid fouls (Bogans' block on Barbosa at the end of the first quarter and Blair's foul of Nash under the Suns' basket in the 4th), and poor defensive rotations at time were more than sufficient to do the Spurs in.

The 4 officials who worked the game had absolutely nothing to do with any of those things.

Dudley got 4 Offensive boards! And that foul by bogans against Barbosa was absolutely terrible. Totally uncalled for and Pop lit into him for doing it, too.

And the fact that this team settled for Js rather than take it to the rim was telling, too.

This team has a lot to fix for game 3. I think that being at home will help but this bench has got to start producing more or it's over.

FromWayDowntown
05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
And that foul by bogans against Barbosa was absolutely terrible. Totally uncalled for and Pop lit into him for doing it, too.

And the fact that this team settled for Js rather than take it to the rim was telling, too.

This team has a lot to fix for game 3. I think that being at home will help but this bench has got to start producing more or it's over.

I was thinking last night in watching the broadcast and then listening to the talking heads discuss the game that so much of the focus is on how the Suns are different, but very little has been made of the undeniable fact that the Spurs are very different than they were in 2005, 2007, and 2008.

Collins briefly alluded to it when discussing three point shooting, but I think the Bogans foul, the silly jumpers, and things like that are also indicative of the point.

While the Big 3 and Popovich are still in place, a massive difference between the 2005, 2007, and 2008 teams and the 2010 team lies in the sorts of players who are having to carry a load for this team. Yeah, Stephen Jackson, Brent Barry, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, and guys like that were solid and consistent three-point shooters. But they were also guys who didn't get intimidated by a big stage -- guys who could be pretty reliable from game-to-game and series-to-series. And the reliability came in all of the little things that distinguish champions from also-rans. Those were the guys who didn't commit silly fouls where they were avoidable. Those were the guys who pulled the ball out and set up the offense if there wasn't a great shot available (though Horry and his one-man turnover, pull up 3 was an occasional exception). Those were the guys who could spell Manu, Tim, and Tony without conceding a bunch of hustle plays. Those were the guys who always seemed to know exactly where they were supposed to be and played confidently because of that.

For all of the improvements that the Suns have made, they are facing a Spurs team that has players with championship pedigrees, but a team that doesn't collectively have that quality. Can the Spurs come back and make this a series? Yes, and I still even think they could win. But I think it's pretty silly to favorably compare the 2010 Spurs to their title-winning predecessors. There's a huge difference and this year's team is on the short end of that comparison.

The Truth #6
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
It's okay to recruit valedictorians and poets...if they can actually play basketball. Pop has probably over recruited soft players because he can control them and they get in line. The downside is that they have no spine. If we don't get through this round it will be our bench, as others have stated.

Agloco
05-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I was thinking last night in watching the broadcast and then listening to the talking heads discuss the game that so much of the focus is on how the Suns are different, but very little has been made of the undeniable fact that the Spurs are very different than they were in 2005, 2007, and 2008.

Collins briefly alluded to it when discussing three point shooting, but I think the Bogans foul, the silly jumpers, and things like that are also indicative of the point.

While the Big 3 and Popovich are still in place, a massive difference between the 2005, 2007, and 2008 teams and the 2010 team lies in the sorts of players who are having to carry a load for this team. Yeah, Stephen Jackson, Brent Barry, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, and guys like that were solid and consistent three-point shooters. But they were also guys who didn't get intimidated by a big stage -- guys who could be pretty reliable from game-to-game and series-to-series. And the reliability came in all of the little things that distinguish champions from also-rans. Those were the guys who didn't commit silly fouls where they were avoidable. Those were the guys who pulled the ball out and set up the offense if there wasn't a great shot available (though Horry and his one-man turnover, pull up 3 was an occasional exception). Those were the guys who could spell Manu, Tim, and Tony without conceding a bunch of hustle plays. Those were the guys who always seemed to know exactly where they were supposed to be and played confidently because of that.

For all of the improvements that the Suns have made, they are facing a Spurs team that has players with championship pedigrees, but a team that doesn't collectively have that quality. Can the Spurs come back and make this a series? Yes, and I still even think they could win. But I think it's pretty silly to favorably compare the 2010 Spurs to their title-winning predecessors. There's a huge difference and this year's team is on the short end of that comparison.

/thread

Nothing more needs to be said really.

jimo2305
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
i'd say it was a fairly officiated game..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-06-2010, 01:10 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao God damn you Lakers fans are so fuckin stupid. Dudley NBADL-quality? He'd easily be the 6th best player on LA, and judging by a game he had this year when he stuck his foot in LA's ass you'd have to be really dumb to say that.

NFGIII
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Great post and you have pretty much put things into perspective. This 2010 Spurs team is very different from past championship ones. It's kinda of like what Ron White has said: "You can change many things about people but you can't fix stupd". Some of the Spurs role players aren't mentally tough and this can't be fixed this season. Departure from SA to other destinations will be the only way to "fix" it. IMHO

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao God damn you Lakers fans are so fuckin stupid. Dudley NBADL-quality? He'd easily be the 6th best player on LA, and judging by a game he had this year when he stuck his foot in LA's ass you'd have to be really dumb to say that.

I agree with you on Dudley. In fact IIRC the Spurs had him on their watch list going into the 2007 draft. But he went at 22 and the Spurs had the 28th pick which became Splitter.

spurtech09
05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
yeah the suns were making there shots no doubt but yeah it seem like the refs were on the suns side.....everytime the spurs go up around 5 the refs sent the suns to the free throw line.....hopfuly everything changes in SA....

cd98
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Enough complaining about refs.

BadOdor
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Just mav fan complaining about the refs like he's supposed to, nothing to see here.