PDA

View Full Version : Is rooting for a shi*** team easier than rooting for a fringe contender?

jag
05-05-2010, 11:40 PM
At least with a shitty team you know what you're gonna get. You can enjoy the subtle nuances of the game without having to worry about the final score.

I just wonder if its easier to root for a perennial loser.

Rockets fan, TLong....what's your opinion?

21_Blessings
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
San Antonio isn't even a fringe contender. So enjoy rooting for your shitty ass Spurs the next decade or three.

JamStone
05-06-2010, 04:54 AM
This was a really tough year as a Piston fan. I accepted the Pistons were going to be shitty very early on, but that didn't make it easier. While I understand that at some point they had to transition and rebuild, it didn't make this season any easier as a fan. I was one who wanted major changes so this is what I knew had to happen, but it was still much better from 2005-2008 when the Pistons were still highly competitive even if they weren't legit contenders.

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 04:59 AM
San Antonio isn't even a fringe contender. So enjoy rooting for your shitty ass Spurs the next decade or three.

Ironically, we're closer to rebuilding than you are with your ill-advised, un-tradeable bench contracts and your over-investment in Bynum, Artest, and Odom.

MiamiHeat
05-06-2010, 05:16 AM
I hate fringe contenders.

Either make some trades and signings, or tank to get high draft picks.

Stop wasting my time by being too good to be shitty (mid-late draft picks), but too shitty to be good (no championship).

I would much rather my team just blow shit up and keep only the most important pieces and begin rebuilding.

The ultimate goal of any franchise should be to build a dynasty that could compete for a championship every single year. If you can't do that, blow shit up. Stop wasting my time.

Example : Utah Jazz should keep Deron Williams and a few other guys, and just start getting rid of everyone else to bring in new guys. How many seasons will they be stuck as "one of those playoff teams" that never wins shit.

Same with Phoenix Suns (since 2004 or 2005 now? What a fucking tease waste of time. I'd be pissed off if I was a Suns fan. We aren't going to win shit, blow it up already)

rayjayjohnson
05-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Ironically, we're closer to rebuilding than you are with your ill-advised, un-tradeable bench contracts and your over-investment in Bynum, Artest, and Odom.

hate to say it, but what did i hear today about them getting bosh?

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 05:46 AM
hate to say it, but what did i hear today about them getting bosh?

I don't know... what did you hear?

rayjayjohnson
05-06-2010, 05:54 AM
I don't know... what did you hear?

some rubbish gossip about a bosh sighting in LA. my point is, however, that i don't think the lakers will ever be a shit team because of their location alone. douchebag NBA players always want to live in LA.

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 06:05 AM
some rubbish gossip about a bosh sighting in LA. my point is, however, that i don't think the lakers will ever be a shit team because of their location alone. douchebag NBA players always want to live in LA.

While I don't disagree with you in the big scheme, you have to admit they're in a bit of a financial pickle. If they can bring in Bosh, I'm happy to eat my crow... but I just don't see it happening. Mostly because I don't see Bosh signing for less to go to a team that will have trouble giving him minutes and playing with a cadre of stars on their way out the door, IMO.

Bob Lanier
05-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Yes, of course, and it's been since 2006 that the Pistons have been a non-contender, which has given it time to sink in.

ginobili's bald spot
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM

:lmao :lmao Spurfan has been reduced to salary cap smack now. That's fuckin hilarious.

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
:lmao :lmao Spurfan has been reduced to salary cap smack now. That's fuckin hilarious.

What's funny about it? Y'all are fucked.

21_Dickings
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Two years ago, you guys said the same thing. Not only did we resign Kobe, Pau and LO, but we added Artest. Welcome home Bosh...:lol

As long as we got Baby Drew we don't need no scared of the paint wanna be big man like Bosh.

How'd you like Drew's last game, faggot?

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Two years ago, you guys said the same thing. Not only did we resign Kobe, Pau and LO, but we added Artest. Welcome home Bosh...:lol

I don't know who "us guys" were, but I do know your contractual chickens will come home to roost, and that most of those contracts are of the untradeable sort. If you surprise the world, I'm happy for you. But I don't think you will.

admiralsnackbar
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
You talk as if your season is over...:lol

That's cool... it's probably easier to question my intentions than to accept the truth. :toast

scampers
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
This was the first year I've ever rooted for my team to lose. It was a fucked up experience, and I didn't like it one bit.

Back when we kicked ass in the regular season but gave up in the ECFs.. it was disappointing, but at least I could still say my team was pretty good and fun to watch.

Basketballgirl25
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
As a Nets fan I can tell you this. It was earier cheering for the Nets this year and they only won 12 games then rooting for them when they had Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson, now that sucked, because they were good, but never good enough. At least with Nets playing like shit the only way is up, with Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson the only way was down

mogrovejo
05-06-2010, 06:48 PM
To me it's about the same. Contender, fringe contender, decent but not even close to be a contender, mediocre, bottom dweller... the Cs have been all that (and you probably don't need to go further than this decade alone) and doesn't make much of a difference to me. There are very bad teams that are fun to watch and intriguing and good teams that are pretty uninteresting. I enjoyed the Cs team that made the Conference Finals with O'Brien but were a very fringe contender and I also enjoyed the 24 wins team of 2 seasons ago. Two enjoyable teams for different reasons.

I'm more bothered by incompetence + lack of direction from the FO, even when it's the FO from some team I dont' pull for it irks me. Plus, you can have a bad FO running a franchise that puts a funny team on the floor.

Anyway, the large majority of the teams is well-run + interesting to follow, so I don't think this is much of a problem.