PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need 3pt shooters

greyforest
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Bonner and Mason are both uselessly inconsistent from 3.

Best 3pt shooters are Hill and Ginobili, but just think of how many snipers the team had over the last decade. I think the lack of roleplayers who can make open 3's is the weakest facet of the current Spurs. There's also the lack of depth at C, but Dyess is working well in the playoffs.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Finally, an original thread!

:tu

SenorSpur
05-06-2010, 01:19 AM
In my opinion, Pop should have never entered the season dependent on the trio of Bonner, Flnley and Mason. All of which have washed out, one way or another.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 01:20 AM
It's only going to get worse next season, barring something unforeseen. Splitter is probably coming over and Bonner is probably gone. That one switch to the rotation, while an overall upgrade, is a significant downgrade shooting-wise. Then on the perimeter, I expect one addition to the rotation. Even if it is a 40% 3 point shooter, like Bell or Jones, etc., that's not enough.

Eight of the top nine spots on this team (assuming Splitter signs), barring a trade, are spoken for going into next season. Sure, they could fill out the bench with cheap options, like Cook or Almond, etc., but they'd rarely play anyway and wouldn't against quality teams or in the playoffs.

Spurologist
05-06-2010, 01:20 AM
That was definitely a strength that we took for granted. We'd be better served with Ian jacking up 3s at this point.

SenorSpur
05-06-2010, 01:23 AM
It's only going to get worse next season, barring something unforeseen. Splitter is probably coming over and Bonner is probably gone. That one switch to the rotation, while an overall upgrade, is a significant downgrade shooting-wise. Then on the perimeter, I expect one addition to the rotation. Even if it is a 40% 3 point shooter, like Bell or Jones, etc., that's not enough.

Eight of the top nine spots on this team (assuming Splitter signs), barring a trade, are spoken for going into next season. Sure, they could fill out the bench with cheap options, like Cook or Almond, etc., but they'd rarely play anyway and wouldn't against quality teams or in the playoffs.

Don't forget there will be a replacement for Mason. Hopefully, in the way of a young SF, chosen with the 20th pick in the NBA draft. Otherwise, it will likely be some other cheap free agent. Either way, the Spurs MUST shore up their long-distance shooting woes for next year.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I know there will be. That's what I'm factoring in when I see Bell or Jones, etc. That will be the Mason replacement, but that's not going to be enough. Barring something unforeseen, we're looking at Duncan, McDyess, Splitter, Blair, Jefferson, Ginobili, Hill, Parker and Hairston comprising nine of the top eleven players on the roster next season. Of the other two spots, one goes to a wing shooter, the other to the 1st round pick. Maybe they're both wing shooters, or one doubles as a defender or whatever, but by in large this is not going to be a good shooting team again. There's one top nine spot available. So using my go-to example, let's say it's Bell. They add Bell to the first eight names I mentioned. Is the issue solved? Of course not.

SenorSpur
05-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I know there will be. That's what I'm factoring in when I see Bell or Jones, etc. That will be the Mason replacement, but that's not going to be enough. Barring something unforeseen, we're looking at Duncan, McDyess, Splitter, Blair, Jefferson, Ginobili, Hill, Parker and Hairston comprising nine of the top eleven players on the roster next season. Of the other two spots, one goes to a wing shooter, the other to the 1st round pick. Maybe they're both wing shooters, or one doubles as a defender or whatever, but by in large this is not going to be a good shooting team again. There's one top nine spot available. So using my go-to example, let's say it's Bell. They add Bell to the first eight names I mentioned. Is the issue solved? Of course not.

Anybody for Travis Outlaw? He's unrestricted. I know he's got 3-pt range, but may be a bit streaky.

Just throwing names against the wall. Can't see him coming in to play behind RJ.

Blackjack
05-06-2010, 01:40 AM
And, really, what are the odds you're going to get a rookie three-point shooter to come in and produce in the playoffs (much less one that brings size and can defend)?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Boobie Gibson and Courtney Lee coming in and shooting well in the postseason, but neither brings size and they seem more the exception than the rule . . .

Blackjack
05-06-2010, 01:45 AM
If Splitter doesn't come I'd really consider making a push for Bouroussis (and somewhere K_B_P is smiling).

He really seems like a pretty decent compliment to Blair, in that he plays a bit like Ilgauskas and he's a space-eater that could help Blair on the defensive glass.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Anybody for Travis Outlaw? He's unrestricted. I know he's got 3-pt range, but may be a bit streaky.

Just throwing names against the wall. Can't see him coming in to play behind RJ.

He'll be out of the Spurs price range and is a certified ball stopper.

One solution would be Jefferson shooting the three like he did with the Bucks, but I doubt that's going to happen.

The front court, as good as they are individually (including Splitter, minus Bonner) as players, they don't compliment each other all that well as a group. But the Spurs are in no position to trade away young talents like Blair and Splitter unless it's in a package deal for a player like Bosh.

And, really, what are the odds you're going to get a rookie three-point shooter to come in and produce in the playoffs (much less one that brings size and can defend)?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Boobie Gibson and Courtney Lee coming in and shooting well in the postseason, but neither brings size and they seem more the exception than the rule . . .

Exactly. That's why the three-point shooter addition will likely come via free agency. But just adding Bell or Jones or whoever to the rotation and taking out Bogans/Mason, that's not enough.

siraulo23
05-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Manu - streaky
Hill - streaky on corner 3s
Bonner - chokes under playoff pressure
Mason...

Is this the worst 3 point shooting spurs team in the playoffs?

TheSpursFNRule
05-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Maybe this is why Pop is playing Bonner. Trying to somewhat get his rhythm(whatever that is) going so we can have a threat from the outside who can stretch the floor and put pressure on the defense. Bonner won't get better by sitting on the bench remember that. Yeah it was dumb to play him almost as much as he played McDyess but still, Phoenix is a deep team. We can't beat them using a short rotation like we did the Mavs. They are a far superior team.

jesterbobman
05-06-2010, 02:49 AM
It's a problem, But not unfixable, especially looking at what could be possible additions to our team next year. Add Nando de Colo(Possible, Shooting 40% in Europe from 3), Splitter(Low post play to potentially draw double teams/open shots ), LLE shooter to replace Bogans/Mason (Bell, Eddie House etc) aswell as the draft(20th pick, Could go Babbitt, George etc) and the possibility of a trade using non guaranteed contracts(eg, Gee, Hairston Jerrels for Daequan Cook), and the shooting stocks would be replenished. Also, Bonner and Mason could be expected to shoot well, Given last years season. That said, We still have people who can shoot, we just don't have as many.

senorglory
05-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Is this the worst 3 point shooting spurs team in the playoffs?

yes. :(

venitian navigator
05-06-2010, 04:29 AM
sign and trade Bonner (one year contract for, let's say, 5,5 millions) to Sac for Nocioni

hsxvvd
05-07-2010, 02:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Antoine-Walker-is-trying-to-make-a-comeback;_ylt=AqTEhIg08HekxbpykFl5SXW8vLYF?urn=nba ,238954

He had 3pt range.

Danny.Zhu
05-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I would be pissed if Finley advanced further than us, which is pretty likely for now.

Xevious
05-07-2010, 03:38 AM
I just pray that Pop and RC see Bonner's current play as a reason to not resign him, and forget about anything he brings to the regular season. He is 100% worthless in the playoffs. Mason already has one foot out the door, I'm not worried about him.

If Hill and Hairston can continue to improve, and we bring in a couple more pieces through free agency and the draft, we might be okay from 3. Mason, Bonner, and Bogans are not the answer though.

LnGrrrR
05-07-2010, 06:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Antoine-Walker-is-trying-to-make-a-comeback;_ylt=AqTEhIg08HekxbpykFl5SXW8vLYF?urn=nba ,238954

He had 3pt range.

:lmao

If by 3pt range, you mean he had the physical ability to throw the ball towards the hoop from beyond the 3pt circle, I would agree. :tu :lol

TJastal
05-07-2010, 07:04 AM
:lmao

If by 3pt range, you mean he had the physical ability to throw the ball towards the hoop from beyond the 3pt circle, I would agree. :tu :lol

Bonner's 3 pt release reminds me of a shotputter .. wouldn't be surprised in the least if that's how he learned to shoot a basketball

benefactor
05-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Spurs need 3pt shooters
Yup. In other news, scientists have discovered that in order for humans to remain living they must breathe air into their lungs and exhale. They must repeat the action continuously, 24 hours a day...as stopping for an extended period of time will lead to certain death.

Old School 44
05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
It probably won't help them now with their 3 point shooting, but I wish the Spurs would get rid of the edict for Bonner and Mason, "if you're open from 3, shoot it or you'll find yourself on the bench". This edict was supposed to relieve pressure from the shooters, but I think it has the reverse effect, especially now since they are not shooting well. My advice is simple, if if feels right, shoot it, if not, don't.

cantthinkofanything
05-07-2010, 08:58 AM

x100
The postseason in a microcausm was when Bonner missed a wide open three from the top of the key and then on the following Sun possession, Channing F immediately hit the same.
Splitter isn't going to be a dominant enough big man that the Spurs can change their scheme. They are going to have to find someone that can hit the three. Otherwise it's just one more year of watching Dunan fade off into the sunset without another ring.