PDA

View Full Version : Ian for Bonner

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Seriously, if Bonner isn't going to make any threes, just put Ian out there. At least the team would look more intimidating. Maybe he even gets a block or does somehing funny.

objective
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
At least you can do different things with Ian. You can post him up if he has a mismatch, and he's a threat to score with his back to the basket or facing up and driving. You can use him in the pick-n-roll and get good looks either with Mahinmi rolling to the basket or freeing up Parker or Manu for a good look. Ian can camp out and attempt the midrange jumper, and even though he's missed his two of them in the playoffs in a Bonner-esque fashion, he wasn't scared to shoot them either and then dribble all around and get called for travelling.

Sure, Ian will get offensive fouls. So what? Matt Bonner just had a bad moving screen called against him last night.

But Ian can make hustle plays that have positive outcomes, whereas Bonner just has all-activity for no-achievement. Mahinmi had the great block and the hustle to stay in the play and tap the ball forward for a Hill fast break against the Mavs. He also knocked the ball away from a driver on a switch, ended up falling down, and as the ball swung around got his ass up and went for the block causing Shawn Marion to blow a dunk.

Bonner does nothing but grab uncontested rebounds, miss open looks at a tremendous clip, get scared to shoot other open looks and turn the ball over, and get scored on at will by other teams' bigs. And it wouldn't get any better next round, because Pau/Bynum/Odom would destroy him and he'd choke his threes, and Boozer/Milsapp would destroy him and he'd choke his threes.

boutons_deux
05-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I fully agree. Ian can't be worse in stats than Bonner, and he's more mobile than Tim now in protecting the basket.

But rock-headed Pop keeps pounding the rock.

EricB
05-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Because uhm he sucks worse.

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Preposterous. How could he suck worse? To suck worse, he'd have to take the inbounds pass and dunk in the wrong goal.

Bruno
05-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Spurs are hiding Ian to re-sign with a cheap contract this summer. Giving him some playing time now isn't a good solution. Either he sucks and he will hurt the team or he plays well and his market value will raise. It's a loss/loss situation.

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Spurs are hiding Ian to re-sign with a cheap contract this summer. Giving him some playing time now isn't a good solution. Either he sucks and he will hurt the team or he plays well and his market value will raise. It's a loss/loss situation.

or he plays well enough to help contribute to a playoff win

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
At least you can do different things with Ian. You can post him up if he has a mismatch, and he's a threat to score with his back to the basket or facing up and driving. You can use him in the pick-n-roll and get good looks either with Mahinmi rolling to the basket or freeing up Parker or Manu for a good look. Ian can camp out and attempt the midrange jumper, and even though he's missed his two of them in the playoffs in a Bonner-esque fashion, he wasn't scared to shoot them either and then dribble all around and get called for travelling.

:wow

You do realize this is Ian Mahinmi we're talking about, right? If he could post up, was a threat to score back to the basket, facing up and driving, could play the pick and roll and hit midrange jumpers he wouldn't be Ian Mahinmi. He'd be Amare Stoudamire.

objective
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM

I don't think he could hurt the team any worse than Bonner. That's because Pop would have a very quick hook with Ian and a dumb moving screen would get him yanked immediately, whereas Bonner is allowed to stay in to choke shots and give up rebounds.

objective
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
:wow

You do realize this is Ian Mahinmi we're talking about, right? If he could post up, was a threat to score back to the basket, facing up and driving, could play the pick and roll and hit midrange jumpers he wouldn't be Ian Mahinmi. He'd be Amare Stoudamire.

Watch the Dallas game again. He scored the ways I said he could, against Dallas rotation players. And he didn't hit midrange jumpers, he only wasn't too scared to shoot them. And read carefully that I posted 'if he had a mismatch'. Bonner has no mismatches.

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Watch the Dallas game again. He scored the ways I said he could, against Dallas rotation players. And he didn't hit midrange jumpers, he only wasn't too scared to shoot them. And read carefully that I posted 'if he had a mismatch'. Bonner has no mismatches.

NBA capable ≠ Bonner
MISMATCH

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM

One game's worth of garbage minutes doesn't make him a player. If he were better than Bonner he'd be playing.

Bruno
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
or he plays well enough to help contribute to a playoff win

This year team is going nowhere even if Mahinmi plays some minutes and do better than Bonner. The only unknown about this year is if Spurs will lost against Suns or against Lakers in the WCF.

Next year could be different...

flacura
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Seriously, if Bonner isn't going to make any threes, just put Ian out there. At least the team would look more intimidating. Maybe he even gets a block or does somehing funny.

whoever you want for Bonner, you name it :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

objective
05-06-2010, 03:20 PM
One game's worth of garbage minutes doesn't make him a player. If he were better than Bonner he'd be playing.

one games worth of garbage minutes > 2 years of playoffs garbage :lol

Enjoy Matt Bonner's career playoff 3-point numbers of 24% along with all the other great intangibles he brings, like defense and rebounding.

And I'm not even saying they should play Ian. I'd rather see a 3-man big rotation of only Duncan, Dice, and Blair. I'm just saying that after that, Ian is a better option than Bonner. Not because of how great Ian is. Because of how Bonnerish Bonner is.

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 03:21 PM
whoever you want for Bonner, you name it :bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Deal. Fuck, give me Gary Coleman. I'll even throw in Mason.

flacura
05-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Deal. Fuck, give me Gary Coleman. I'll even throw in Mason.

Gary Coleman > Mason :downspin:

spurtech09
05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
yeah i think Ian should play over bonner.....

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
one games worth of garbage minutes > 2 years of playoffs garbage :lol

Enjoy Matt Bonner's career playoff 3-point numbers of 24% along with all the other great intangibles he brings, like defense and rebounding.

And I'm not even saying they should play Ian. I'd rather see a 3-man big rotation of only Duncan, Dice, and Blair. I'm just saying that after that, Ian is a better option than Bonner. Not because of how great Ian is. Because of how Bonnerish Bonner is.

I'm not enojoying Matt Bonner's performance in the least. His play has been absolutely atrocious. But playing Ian isn't the solution to that problem.

objective
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
And as bad as people think/fear Ian might be, just look at these fabulous Bonner numbers:

If I didn't mess the numbers up, in the second half of games in this year's playoffs, Bonner is shooting 27% from the field, and a staggering 16.7% from three. And that's not even his current funk. After game 1 against Dallas, Bonner in the last 7 games is rocking in the 2nd halves of games a FG% of 14% and a three point rate of 0%.

The second half of NBA playoff games . . . where Bonner really gets clutch!

cantthinkofanything
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not enojoying Matt Bonner's performance in the least. His play has been absolutely atrocious. But playing Ian isn't the solution to that problem.

Well it sure as hell is more viable than reanimating Drazen Petrovic.

objective
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Not playing Bonner is the solution to the problem. If Ian grabbing 3-4 minutes in a first half to give a breather to Dice or Blair as they get every other minute available alongside Duncan, then I don't see how that's a problem.

Kamala
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Hellie to the no no

nkdlunch
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
This year team is going nowhere even if Mahinmi plays some minutes and do better than Bonner. The only unknown about this year is if Spurs will lost against Suns or against Lakers in the WCF.

going nowhere? if Ian contributes more than Bonner we could reach WCF. How is that nowhere?

yeah, we could miss the playoffs

the point is, Spurs need to do anything and everything to win now, today. Not tomorrow. Next season Duncan will be 1 year older, that negative alone offsets anything positive that could happen next season.

SsKSpurs21
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
with bonner, they are just giving him the shot. they just leave him and double manu, tony, or tim. i dont think they can leave a post presence like mahinmi open...the reason why pop uses bonner is to spread the floor and open up the lane but if he is not hitting and the defense is leaving him open then whats the point.

in2deep
05-06-2010, 04:02 PM

this makes no sense. Bonner is already hurting the team. And next year we will probably have a longer shot at a title signing Ian or not.

celldweller
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM

My heart tells me that's crazy talk! My Brain tells me your probably right! :(

TimDunkem
05-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Sure it is. We have a Matt Bonner problem. Put Ian ahead of him, and he'll be sitting on the bench where he should be.

mingus
05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

do you really think he'd sign with the Spurs when he can go to, say, OKC and get playing time? at first i believed they were "hiding" him away, but i don't think they can do that and expect to sign him for next year. he's going to have offers from other teams, and i would expect him to take the one that is going to give him the most playing time.

rayray2k8
05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Ian won't play in the playoffs unless it's garbage time. Pop won't do anything drastic and is going with what he's got.
We're just gonna have to deal with it.

I got money that Bonner will at least hit one 3 pointer in tomorrows game. I hate the bastard, but we need everyone to play well to beat the suns.

Russ
05-06-2010, 08:56 PM

I don't think the Spurs are "hiding" Ian. I think that, for whatever reason, the powers that be (Pop) gave up on Ian long ago. Long ago. And nothing can change their (Pop's) mind.

That said, I would welcome Ian getting all of Bonner's minutes. What could possibly be the harm?

Biggems
05-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I sure wish we could have gotten Frye when we had the chance.....and then got rid of Bonner.

And yes, I believe Frye would be our newest version of Horry, a big who can light it up from beyond the arc....of course Frye wouldnt be as intelligent or as savvy as Horry, but he would have that deadly offensive stroke.

But yes, I want Ian....give the guy some time. I also want Temple.

my2sons
05-06-2010, 09:04 PM
with bonner, they are just giving him the shot. they just leave him and double manu, tony, or tim. i dont think they can leave a post presence like mahinmi open...the reason why pop uses bonner is to spread the floor and open up the lane but if he is not hitting and the defense is leaving him open then whats the point.

I have yet to see bonner take an uncontested three...if they were leaving him alone he would be shooting much more....they are leaving him open and closing out as soon as he touches the ball....

Obstructed_View
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM

The only thing that sucks worse than Bonner are your posts.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Pop seriously thought about putting Ian in when the Spurs couldn't grab a rebound that first half.

And he subbed in Bogans and Bonner instead.

mingus
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
i just don't know why a seemingly shittier player in RMJ gets pt in the first game and Mahnimi doesn't. Mahinmi is athletic enough to stay in front of Frye (probably not long without fouling out), and they're going to continue to exploit that with Duncan.

Johnny RIngo
05-07-2010, 12:10 AM
All the sensible Spurs fans wanted Bonner/Mason traded before the deadline. Doubt the FO even considered getting rid of Bonner though(he played well enough in the reg season to warrant a roster spot).

TJastal
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
But we can't play him, he might get a foul or 2..... and then he'd be in FOUL TROUBLE ... and you know we can't have that.

cantthinkofanything
05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I have yet to see bonner take an uncontested three...if they were leaving him alone he would be shooting much more....they are leaving him open and closing out as soon as he touches the ball....

you are either joking or you don't understand "uncontested"

fyatuk
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't mind Bonner being in there. As long as he's matched up against Frye, which means when Duncan's out, or Amare's out (I don't want Tim on Amare except during crunch time).

And under absolutely no circumstances should Bonner guard Amare. I'd rather have Mahinmi out there if he's going to be matched against Amare, even though that'd last like 2 possessions.

Bonner and Mason being weak-minded chokers are the reasons the Spurs have struggled in the playoffs. If they keep anywhere close to their regular season shooting clips, Spurs win all these games in blowouts.

Old School 44
05-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I would rather see Ian, but I doubt if it's going to happen.

BUT even if it's not Ian, it really is simple addition by subtraction.
Take away Bonner's minutes and give them to someone else.
It's sort of like Finley. Even though Finley wasn't getting any minutes, the team improved by releasing him.

coyotes_geek
05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
It's sort of like Finley. Even though Finley wasn't getting any minutes, the team improved by releasing him.

Did it? Finley's playoff 3pt fg% as a Spur is 40%.

fyatuk
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, this is where we miss Finley. At least he could play in the playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM

As hard as that is to believe. I agree 100%.

coyotes_geek
05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Pretty sure that the extra revenue a couple of western conference finals playoff games would bring would more than offset any potential "inflation" to Mahinmi's contract that might result should he actually contribute in a playoff series. So I don't think it's very likely that the Spurs would sit Mahinmi because they're afraid he would be "too good" and thus become expensive. If Pop thought Mahinmi could help he'd play him.

MateoNeygro
05-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Preposterous. How could he suck worse? To suck worse, he'd have to take the inbounds pass and dunk in the wrong goal.

haahahahha nice.

kace
05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
i guess it's safe to say that cg doesn't like Ian :lol

coyotes_geek
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
i guess it's safe to say that cg doesn't like Ian :lol

It's nothing personal against the guy. I just don't think he's a very good basketball player nor do I think it's in any way a smart decision to toss him out there when the Spurs are fighting for their playoff lives simply because he's tall and athletic. I would absolutely love it if Ian could somehow turn himself into the athletic, skilled big man the Spurs desperately need, but Ian hasn't shown me anything to suggest that's going to happen any time soon, let alone tonight.

If Ian gets a chance, I 100% hope he proves me wrong. I will gladly choke down a husky sized helping of crow and give the man his due. (although if he does it this weekend his due from me probably won't come until monday because i'll be out of town)

The Truth #6
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Bruno,

Have you changed your opinion of the Spurs' plans towards Ian? I thought initially when his contract wasn't picked up that you thought this was an obvious sign that the Spurs had given up on him. Perhaps I'm thinking of another poster.

poop
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Boner is averaging 3, 2, and 0.25 on everything else.

you literally could not do any worse than matt bonner.

play ian, at least hes quick enough to make amare work a bit.

EmptyMan
05-07-2010, 12:25 PM
/in

Bonner is worthless, good guy, but I'm tired of soft 7 footers. If we still have Bonner and no Tiago next year...oh lawd :bang

Bonner/Blair line-up is absolutely atrocious. Blair needs to step up (and grow 4 more inches) as well.

Bruno
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Bruno,

Have you changed your opinion of the Spurs' plans towards Ian? I thought initially when his contract wasn't picked up that you thought this was an obvious sign that the Spurs had given up on him. Perhaps I'm thinking of another poster.

Yes, I have.

I though he was done as a Spurs but after what has happened since February, I've change my stance.

I'm still very lost about he situation but if I had to bet on something, it would be Spurs re-signing him this summer.

The Truth #6
05-07-2010, 04:21 PM
If Bonner is let go and Dice wants to retire, I could see him being a low cost option to fill up the roster. Hopefully he comes back AND gets to play.

Agloco
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM

+1

This isn't a championship team. Beating Phoenix would be a big feather in their cap though. Whoever wins this series is gonna get violated by LA anyway.