PDA

View Full Version : Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

MaNuMaNiAc
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag TeesBy George Kiriyama
NBCBayArea.com

updated 3:29 p.m. ET May 6, 2010

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were

ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday

so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'
"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.
The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school

Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

Are you fucking kidding?? :lmao

American kids not allowed to wear American shirts because Mexicans are offended...

mrsmaalox
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
But Mexicans weren't offended; Mexican Americans were!

Mexican Americans offended by the American flag should just go straight to Mexico :rolleyes

MiamiHeat
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
you see

this is how fucking low we have sunk

seriously. it's time to go ARIZONA on their asses.

These immigrants are not coming here to be americans. They are coming here to suck our blood, they don't give a shit about america.

coyotes_geek
05-06-2010, 03:16 PM
ridiculous.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-06-2010, 03:21 PM
I heard one of those guys has a Hispanic parent which makes this even more stupid.

lefty
05-06-2010, 03:22 PM
you see

this is how fucking low we have sunk

seriously. it's time to go ARIZONA on their asses.

These immigrants are not coming here to be americans. They are coming here to suck our blood, they don't give a shit about america.
Yeah like America hasn't been sucking blood in other countries since 1945 :lmao

Cane
05-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Since when can you wear bandannas in gradeschool?

Whisky Dog
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Fucking ridiculous. Wear American flag shirts, Mexican flag shirts, fucking Saudi Arabia flag shirts, why should anyone care?

Whisky Dog
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

... And mow my grass for $15, clean my gutters for $10, rake my leaves for $15, and carry heavy shit from my truck to my house for a plate of tacos. That white asshole in the online classifieds wants over $100 for most of that shit, and the black dudes won't do it at all. So fuck you, fuck Arizona, leave my cheap labor alone.

The Gemini Method
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Foolish for the school to encroach on their rights, but seriously...I wasn't allowed to wear bandannas to school...

CubanSucks
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
The bandanas part I can understand. A lot of schools including my old high school don't allow head gear. But as far as the shirts...unfuckinbelievable. Do these dumb fucks understand that cinco de mayo has NOTHING to do with American history? It's not an American holiday! "They were disrespecting my heritage." Well guess what, I won't be offended if you wear an American shirt on the day when the Scottish defeated the English because that's just as irrelevant to us as Americans as cinco de mayo. Anyone who was offended should drop fucking dead

LnGrrrR
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
This is posted in the Political thread if you guys want to talk there, under the heading "Am I A Neocon Now?" or something similar.

Stringer_Bell
05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
But Mexicans weren't offended; Mexican Americans were!

Mexican Americans offended by the American flag should just go straight to Mexico :rolleyes

Well yea, except those kids probably weren't born in Mexico and thus have no claim to the whole "hyphenated nationality" tag that EVERYONE seems to take for granted without thinking of the difference between cultural identity and national identity.

Another thing I don't understand is when people put little Mexican flags on their vehicles...if they have that much pride, why don't they go back and clean up their country?

oklahomasuckstexas
05-06-2010, 04:04 PM
that shit pisses me off. that shit wouldnt happen in sananto.

the 210 is strait with everyone.

Spurminator
05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Poor kids got sent home from school and got to be on TV. Sucks to be them.

Mark in Austin
05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
If those kids wear American flag t-shirts all the time, fine. If they specifically wore the flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo to fuck with everybody, that makes them assholes. But sending them home was the wrong move - just gives ammunition to the crazies.

Sisk
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah like America hasn't been sucking blood in other countries since 1945 :lmao

Whenever a disaster happens anywhere in the world who's the first country to pledge millions upon millions of dollars?

GTFO

Bukefal
05-06-2010, 06:58 PM
lol that's crazy. ridiculous.

Reminds me of some schools in christian countries in europe where they dont put up christmas trees anymore (which is a yearly tradition at every school) because muslim immigrant students at those schools could feel offended by them. :bang

rr2418
05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
At Trinity University there is a non-christian group that wants "God" taken out of the schools diplomas. I don't know if it still is but when the university was founded, it started as a "christian" school. If they would've done some research they would've known. Dumbasses!!!!

symple19
05-07-2010, 05:40 AM
This is a perfect example of wacky, Bay Area political correctness gone wild. Not surprising to me at all.

EmptyMan
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
If those kids wear American flag t-shirts all the time, fine. If they specifically wore the flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo to fuck with everybody, that makes them assholes. But sending them home was the wrong move - just gives ammunition to the crazies.

Makes it wrong? They. live. in. fucking. America.

inb4 American kids get busted for wearing American shirts on non-American day in America. :rollin:bang

lefty
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Whenever a disaster happens anywhere in the world who's the first country to pledge millions upon millions of dollars?

GTFO
Thats called investment

Cyrano
05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
If the school officials did not also lower the American flag flying in front of the school, then the students have a basic case for discrimination. Since the administrators therefore had no policy against the display of the US flag, there must have been some other reason for their actions against the students.

Blake
05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
At Trinity University there is a non-christian group that wants "God" taken out of the schools diplomas. I don't know if it still is but when the university was founded, it started as a "christian" school. If they would've done some research they would've known. Dumbasses!!!!

I wonder what they think the name "Trinity" is referring to.

Blake
05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break ....

brunch break?

Californians :bang

Fpoonsie
05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
brunch break?

:rollin

Spurminator
05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
brunch break?

:lmao

Good catch.

Jacob1983
05-07-2010, 11:57 PM
This would only happen in America. Fucking ridiculous. This is treason if you ask me. Americans not being able to wear American flag t-shirts on American soil. This never happened when Bush was president. :lol

Chief
05-08-2010, 12:58 AM
According to Wikipedia, Cinco de Mayo is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces ......

so by the Americans wearing American shirts on a holiday that celebrated the army´s unlikely victory over french forces, they are insulting the mexican holiday ?

Mexican´s aren´t the only race in the states, so should americans keep every other countries unlikely victory over another force in mind ?

fuckin ridiculous

polandprzem
05-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Dang

I have tees with Israel flag and with Jordan flag on it.

I will be kicked out of my job?

srsly - this world have less and less tolerance

Chief
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Dang

I have tees with Israel flag and with Jordan flag on it.

I will be kicked out of my job?

srsly - this world have less and less tolerance

as long as u don't wear a shirt with BOTH Israel Flag and Jordan Flag on it at the same time, cuz that'll just confuse people

Wild Cobra
05-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Does the first amendment have a clause I don't know about, stating it cannot be used to intentionally upset someone?

Spurminator
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Does the first amendment have a clause I don't know about, stating it cannot be used to intentionally upset someone?

The First Amendment doesn't protect them from being called assholes. Maybe you should reread his post.

Mark in Austin
05-09-2010, 03:05 PM

No it doesn't, much to the dismay of Jerry Falwell and the delight of Larry Flynt.

However, the Supreme Court ruled as recently as the "bong hits for Jesus" case that First Amendment protections do not necessarily apply in schools. On top of that there is plenty of precedence for sending home disruptive students based on speech or what they are wearing.

Arguing straight First Amendment is a loser on this one. What should be argued is that the students were not being disruptive, and that therefore the actions the principal took were unjustified.