PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 'Play Book' exposed and we're still running up in that ass

Koolaid_Man
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah that's right muthafuckers we can't be stopped...Send this to the rest of our opponents

In theory, the Triangle can function without any set plays. The offense is designed to combat anything the defense might throw at it, as illustrated in my elaborate explanation of the offense. Sagging defenses, light pressure, heavy pressure, and various zone defenses can all be broken by executing the Triangle effectively. However, the Lakers have a number of set plays that they employ from time to time depending on the situation. While most NBA teams have up to 50 set plays in their arsenal, the Lakers only a few. The reason for that is the complexity of the Triangle Offense and the fact that it has more than a hundred options itself, covering most situations on the court. The set plays that I will cover are both Triangle based and non-Triangle based. But even the non-Triangle plays can be transformed into Triangle spacing if they are not successful in creating open shots.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/1.jpg

This particular play is right out of the Triangle and is usually run for Sasha Vujacic and Derek Fisher to get them open shots. O1 passes the ball to the wing and then cuts fast to the basket. This movement can be run at any time in the Triangle when there is heavy pressure on the ball handler, hence the fast cut to the basket. In this instance, however, the cut is executed anyway since it is a set play, so the cut most likely will not result in a pass. After getting the ball, O3 immediately passes it to O2 at the top of key and cuts toward the post. After his initial cut, O1 has a choice between the double screen set by O3 and O5, or a single screen set by O4. Therefore, this option can be called a “single-double,” which is an old and reliable option most teams use. The two options and their wrinkles are discussed in the next four diagrams.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/2-1.jpg
If O1 chooses to use the double screen, O2 (most likely Kobe or Odom) passes it to O1 for a long two, a three, or even a curl to the basket if his man goes over the screen and is late.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/3.jpg
If he cannot get a good shot nor cut to the basket, O1 sets up on the wing. Meanwhile, O3 slides to the corner and creates a sideline triangle with O1 and O5. With O2 at the top of key and O4 on the weak-side, basic triangle spacing is established and the offense has about 12 seconds on the shot clock to create open shots. The first option, as always, is to pass the ball to the center, creating the deepest penetration possible with one pass. The perimeter players would cut and screen for each other.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/4.jpg
Instead of using a double screen, O1 runs to the opposite side and runs off a single screen set by O4. As in the previous option, O2 passes the ball to O1 for a long two, a three, or penetration to the basket.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/5-1.jpg
If O1 cannot get a good shot, he can pass to O4 in the post. But in order to establish a sideline triangle on the same side, O4 slides to the corner, while O5 switches sides and flashes to the low post. Another option (not shown here) is for O3 to flash to the low post using O5’s rub screen, while O5 would stay on the weak-side. Triangle spacing is established and the offense can start once again with plenty of time on the shot clock.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/6-1.jpg

This is another option that can be executed in the Triangle within its usual game flow of read-and-react. Called “blind pig,” it is run when there is pressure on the initial wing entry pass and the off-guard. But the Lakers like to run it as a set play due to its cuts, screens, and two-man game. O4 flashes to the area below the three point line and above the elbow and receives a pass by O1. During this pass, O2 cuts fast to the basket for a possible pass on a cut. This cut has a much higher chance of being successful when there is heavy pressure on O2 (the original purpose of this option), but the point of the cut during this set play is to clear space for a two-man game between O1 and O4. If O1 is open after his initial pass, he gets the ball back on a hand-off and can attempt to penetrate, shoot a long two, a three, or run a pick and roll. If O4 does not pass to O1, he can pass to O2 coming off a double screen by O3 and O5, or he can pass to O3 who used a rub screen from O5. This diagram is a very effective play the Lakers regularly run. It is probably their most frequently used set play.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/7.jpg

Every team has an alley-oop play in their arsenal. This diagram covers the Laker version of this spectacular play. It originally starts with the basic alignment of the Triangle, employing a two-guard front, two wings, and a center. Since this initially looks like a convention Triangle play, the Lakers can catch the defense off balance and execute a successful alley-oop pass. O1 passes to O3 and then quickly cuts to the basket using O5’s UCLA screen on the high post. At the same time, O4 clears the weak-side and goes to the strong-side post. If O1 is open, he gets an alley-oop pass and dunks. Since the pass is just as important as the basket, Luke Walton and Lamar Odom are most frequently used as the passers, while Kobe Bryant and Jordan Farmar are usually the recipients of the pass due to their athleticism and leaping abilities.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/8.jpg

If an alley-oop pass cannot be made, the team quickly adjusts to the second option of the play. O3 passes it to O2 at the top of the key, who then makes a pass to O1 on the pinch post, flashing from the basket from the unsuccessful alley-oop attempt. O2 then cuts off O1 for a possible handoff. Meanwhile, O3 and O5 set a screen for O4, who expects a pass from O1. So even though this was a non-Triangle play initially, it quickly transformed into a typical Triangle two-man game on one side and a split on the other.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/9.jpg

This is a typical pick and roll at the top. In order to fool the defense, the Lakers initially set up in a Triangle type of alignment, but quickly turn into a pick and roll. O1 passes to O2 (Kobe) and goes to the corner, while O5 flashes to the top and sets a screen. In order to create good spacing, O3 slides to the corner. O4 cuts to the paint for a possible rebound. O1 and O5 run a pick and roll with O1 either shooting a two, a three, penetrating to the basket, or passing to the rolling O5. It all depends on how the defense approaches the situation.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/10.jpg

This option is run rarely by the Lakers, but it is in their playbook. O5 gets a pass on the high post by O1, who then sets a down screen to free up O3 (Kobe). The most likely shot is a midrange jumper. But if no shot is possible, O3 and O5 (Gasol or Bynum) can run a sideline pick and roll.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/11.jpg
This also a rarely run play, but the Lakers use it sometimes to free up Gasol in the post. O1 (Fisher) passes it to the wing. He then cuts to the basket and sets a down screen for Gasol. This is what the Jazz ran for more than a decade to open Karl Malone under the basket. Gasol gets the ball and starts working in the low post. O4 cuts to the basket for a possible rebound while O1, O2, and O3 can stay on the perimeter in order to exploit a double team on Gasol, or they cut for a layup.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/12.jpg
The Lakers run a “delay” option from their playbook at the end of games where they have a lead. Essentially, they create the sideline triangle twice on both sides of the court, taking up about 18 seconds on the shot clock, and eventually pass the ball to a good one-on-one player (Kobe or Gasol) in order to take a late shot. Here, O1 passes the ball to the wing and cuts to the corner, creating a sideline triangle. This is the most basic pass and cut of the offense. The next two diagrams will show how this play will unfold.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/13.jpg
After forming a sideline triangle, the ball is swung to the other side to O2 (top of the key) and O4 (weak-side wing). After these two passes, O1, O2, O3, and O5 all change positions, taking up new spots in the offense. O2 fills the corner, O1 comes from the other corner and sets up at the top of the key, O5 switches to the opposite low post, and O3 takes up the weak-side spot. Hence, the sideline triangle is created on the opposite side of the court (O2, O4, and O5) with a two-man game weak-side (O1 and O3), and the shot clock is down to about 10 seconds.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/14.jpg

This is the final sequence of this delay game. If Kobe is O3 on the weak-side, the ball would most likely be swung one more time in order for him to catch the ball on the pinch post, while O1 cuts off him, and O4 and O2 execute the triangle split. Kobe can pass to O2 coming from the corner, but the most likely outcome is for Kobe to use his one-on-one talent and attempt a midrange shot or penetration to the basket for a possible layup and/or foul.

Enjoy...:wakeup

Giuseppe
05-06-2010, 08:26 PM
& that goofy bastard Artest stands there looking like he doesn't have a clue in the world, but, he's always in the right spot!!!!!!!!!!!:lol

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Nice job KM!

I am bestowing unto you an honorary Doctorate for this.

:tu

lil_penny
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think id ever be able to get the triangle down no matter how hard I studied it lol.. good post though.

mogrovejo
05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
How the fuck you go through the Lakers set plays and don't mention the Kobe/Gasol wing pick'n'roll with Odom making the UCLA cut and flashing to the high post? That's the Lakers bread&butter set play, the one they ran better and the one they're more successful with.

Not mentioning that play basically makes the post useless.

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 08:44 PM
So that I don't have to start another thread;

Speaking of the triangle; Does anyone know how Tex Winter is?
Sure miss him behind Phil. :depressed

Koolaid_Man
05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
How the fuck you go through the Lakers set plays and don't mention the Kobe/Gasol wing pick'n'roll with Odom making the UCLA cut and flashing to the high post? That's the Lakers bread&butter set play, the one they ran better and the one they're more successful with.

Not mentioning that play basically makes the post useless.

more coming soon...specifically Gasol in the Tri, Offensive Realignment and Mismatches, Guard Dribble, Post Feeds and Post Flashing, Strong side Zone vs. Kobe, and Switching Defenses....right now though I'm getting ready to go on a date with a Palestinian chic with a massive ass that I've been trying to fuck...even though I doubt I'm fucking her tonight...I will before this week is over...she's pretty stoked about fucking a nigga...it's been a little harder to fuck her because she wanted to talk geopolitics and all sorts of bullshit....but I want that Palestinian ass (it will be my first Palestinian piece of ass) so I'm gone play the fucking game until Sunday...:toast

Now re-read the post you unlucky bastard...

Ghazi
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
There's no such a thing as "Palestinian" people. They're just Arabs.

That being said, fuck Israel and fuck the Zionists!

Amarelooms
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Look at this idiot...fuck the mullahs and religious fanatics...may they burn in hell son

:elephant

Ghazi
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Look at this idiot...fuck the mullahs and religious fanatics...may they burn in hell son

:elephant

You've probably never even been to Iran, faggot.

lmao faggotlooms.

Koolaid_Man
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM

sure...bring on the Israeli pussy ass well and the Zionist pussy...I don't discriminate on fine Ho's...but fuck ere body else...

Ghazi
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
sure...bring on the Israeli pussy ass well and the Zionist pussy...I don't discriminate on fine Ho's...but fuck ere body else...

:lol

Koolaid_Man
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
You've probably never even been to Iran, faggot.

lmao faggotlooms.

the only question I have regarding Muslims...is why do they want to deflower 70 something Virgins when they get to heaven...man fuck that.... I don't have time to teach 72 or 78 Virgins how to fuck...give me some experienced pussy...

and stop covering up those Ho's...I know they have mega ass and tits under those hot ass fucking Burma's they're forced to wear....

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 09:06 PM

:nope now, now

Ghazi
05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
the only question I have regarding Muslims...is why do they want to deflower 70 something Virgins when they get to heaven...man fuck that.... I don't have time to teach 72 or 78 Virgins how to fuck...give me some experienced pussy...

and stop covering up those Ho's...I know they have mega ass and tits under those hot ass fucking Burma's they're forced to wear....

:lol :lol

TheManFromAcme
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Wow,

we go from the complexity that is the triangle to sex with middle-eastern women....:lol

Man, I love this place

ChrisRichards
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
This explains why Luke Walton (when healthy) and Fisher gets a lot of minutes from Jackson. Though athletically unremarkable, both players knows the offense pretty well, especially Luke who is LA's most generous passer. Raw athleticism and skill has no place in the triangle.

lefty
05-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Damn the Triangle is complicated :lol

Tex Winter is a psychopath

mogrovejo
05-06-2010, 09:31 PM
:lol

Now you see what fucked Kobe up.

Damn the Triangle is complicated :lol

Tex Winter is a psychopath

I don't think id ever be able to get the triangle down no matter how hard I studied it lol.. good post though.

This explains why Luke Walton (when healthy) and Fisher gets a lot of minutes from Jackson. Though athletically unremarkable, both players knows the offense pretty well, especially Luke who is LA's most generous passer. Raw athleticism and skill has no place in the triangle.

Hmmm... these are set plays. A few relatively simple set plays. This would be an easy playbook for a high school team. Some of them are created from triangle formations, but this isn't the triangle offense.

Now re-read the post you unlucky bastard...

What for? I didn't even read it the first time, I skimmed through it. Not mentioning the wing pick'n'roll is pathetic.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Somebody e-mailed me this link a few days ago and only now I had the time to check it:

http://forums.lakersground.net/blog.php/2009/04/09/set-plays-of-the-los-angeles-lakers/

it looked familiar...

poop
05-10-2010, 07:08 PM

yes!!!! finally a post where i agree with ghazi:toast

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Nobody emailed you shit, you hang out at Lakersground.

I read it for some time 2 years ago, during the Finals. I was fascinated for awhile, I already told that story. This isn't even from Lakersground, it's from a Lakersground blog I wasn't even aware that existed.

Anyway, pathetic plagiarism... stealing from another Lakers fan instead of giving him the credit. This is the kind of person that probably would snitch a teammate.

DMX7
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
The triangle is actually pretty intuitive for smart people, which most NBA players are not.

poop
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
'The Triangle'.....LMAO, its not some gay 'brilliant offensive scheme' that wins the games...i think it has something more to do with having michael jordan, scottie pippen, kobe bryant, shaq, pau gasol, bynum, ect..on the floor :eyes

TampaDude
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Exposed??? News flash: We have TVs, too, ya know. :lol

poop
05-10-2010, 07:15 PM
give me a team with kobe bryant and ron artest in the backcourt and pau gasol, andrew bynum and lamar odom in the frontcourt and i could win by just having them play streetball.

Koolaid_Man
05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I read it for some time 2 years ago, during the Finals. I was fascinated for awhile, I already told that story. This isn't even from Lakersground, it's from a Lakersground blog I wasn't even aware that existed.

Anyway, pathetic plagiarism... stealing from another Lakers fan instead of giving him the credit. This is the kind of person that probably would snitch a teammate.

it's only plagiarism if you didn't write it..why credit myself...now that's something else you can research...just who is Koolaid_Man..:toast

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
it's only plagiarism if you didn't write it..why credit myself...now that's something else you can research...just who is Koolaid_Man..:toast

Are you pretending to be Wilt? Seriously?

poop
05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Pop couldn't even win a game with a team of all-stars.:rolleyes

whos talking about pop? anyways yeah the 'brilliant triangle' did wonders for you guys when your team had to go a couple years being NOT stacked with all-stars (05-07) :rolleyes

TampaDude
05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Pop couldn't even win a game with a team of all-stars.:rolleyes

Not this year...

TampaDude
05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
whos talking about pop? anyways yeah the 'brilliant triangle' did wonders for you guys when your team had to go a couple years being NOT stacked with all-stars (05-07) :rolleyes

Heh...don't forget 2003... :hat

Koolaid_Man
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Are you pretending to be Wilt? Seriously?

who is Wilt -- :toast but you got some more research to do don't ya....:lmao and obviously you're not very perceptive....good luck Sherlock Holmes...

OGBobbyJohnson
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
who is Wilt -- :toast but you got some more research to do don't ya....:lmao and obviously you're not very perceptive....good luck Sherlock Holmes...

What up, nukkas. Me, Ray-Ray and the crew gonna pick yo asses up about 4. We got a quick stop in Crenshaw, Ray-Ray wanna throw some dice wit some of the OG niggas over there, maybe win us a few Gs. Be some nice extra ends to blow at the club after the game, ya feel me? Shit. You know Ray-Ray gonna come up, that nigga's luck is blessed by black Jesus and shit.

But yeah, dawgs, whatcha gonna wear? I'm gonna rep my black A-shirt, and it's A-shirt crackas, not wifebeater like you all like to call it. Niggas don't beat they wives, they GET beat by they wives. That's why we scared of our mothers n shit. My gold chain, doo rag, tan Dickies, and house shoes. Nigga gotta be comfortble while watchin his Lakers, know what I'm saying?

I know Koolaid gonna rep some style, but shit, you Luva, you better bring it this time. Last time you rolled you were looking like a straight busta in those Cross-colors, air Jordans, and Malcom X hat. You looked like some uppity nee-gro from the hills.

Rep that shit, nigga. I want bitches coming to us, not walking away from us, you dig?

And like always, you on fat bitch duty.

Holla back,

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 07:48 PM

Wilt is the guy who wrote the article you copied and pasted in the OP, you retard burglar.

TampaDude
05-10-2010, 07:48 PM
What up, nukkas. Me, Ray-Ray and the crew gonna pick yo asses up about 4. We got a quick stop in Crenshaw, Ray-Ray wanna throw some dice wit some of the OG niggas over there, maybe win us a few Gs. Be some nice extra ends to blow at the club after the game, ya feel me? Shit. You know Ray-Ray gonna come up, that nigga's luck is blessed by black Jesus and shit.

But yeah, dawgs, whatcha gonna wear? I'm gonna rep my black A-shirt, and it's A-shirt crackas, not wifebeater like you all like to call it. Niggas don't beat they wives, they GET beat by they wives. That's why we scared of our mothers n shit. My gold chain, doo rag, tan Dickies, and house shoes. Nigga gotta be comfortble while watchin his Lakers, know what I'm saying?

I know Koolaid gonna rep some style, but shit, you Luva, you better bring it this time. Last time you rolled you were looking like a straight busta in those Cross-colors, air Jordans, and Malcom X hat. You looked like some uppity nee-gro from the hills.

Rep that shit, nigga. I want bitches coming to us, not walking away from us, you dig?

And like always, you on fat bitch duty.

Holla back,

Werd up, homey... :lol

OGBobbyJohnson
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Werd up, homey... :lol

Sup homie.

Dig them Spur colors n shit, badass like the Raiders.

Too bad my Lakers go around looking like bustas in Purple n Gold. What kinda bullshit is that for pro team?

I still love them cats, but they colors are wacker than a bitch with a flat ass, you feel me?

TampaDude
05-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Sup homie.

Dig them Spur colors n shit, badass like the Raiders.

Too bad my Lakers go around looking like bustas in Purple n Gold. What kinda bullshit is that for pro team?

I still love them cats, but they colors are wacker than a bitch with a flat ass, you feel me?

I smell ya... :toast