PDA

View Full Version : Timmy needs to make Phoenix Pay for putting Frye on him

my2sons
05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
One thing I believe the spurs need to do a better job with Phoenix is posting and reposting timmy in the box especially if Phoenix insists on putting Frye on him on defense end. I believe that timmy is catching the ball to high and to far away to the basket to punish the smaller frye instead of catching it down low and put fry in foul trouble. frye is making timmy pay at the 3pt lane timmy needs to make frye pay in the paint, maybe play a high low game with dice, but he needs to pay for guarding the big fella. this will put frye in foul trouble and make phoenix adjust. Timmy has been playing great, but I really believe he has given frye a pass by catching the ball so far out on the court.

Not sure if timmy has the stamina for that but I cannot believe that frye can hang with timmy that low if timmy is a great passer if they decide to come hard with the double. The spurs are not that far from winning this series and pop is a master at adjustments, here's hoping I get a heavy dose of timmy putting their big men on the bench.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
The post entry passing on this team is awful. I can't tell you how many times this season Duncan had established deep post position and the pass was way off line to the point where he had to give up prime real estate. Then when he caught it, he was either trapped on the baseline, or outside the paint. Where's Horry when you need him?

I like the fact that Pop implored Duncan to dig deep into his vast repertoire before game two. So long as he has the energy for it, he should be able to average mid-twenties points in this series.

TD 21
05-06-2010, 09:36 PM
He's a sub par defender, extremely soft and has a $2.08 player option for next season. I suspect he opts out, but I doubt he wants to go anywhere and doubt they wouldn't try to re-sign him. It's not like he can command astronomical figures. But I'd definitely take him over Bonner.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I would throw up if the Spurs acquired Frye..he's going to be overpaid and he's a certified playoff choker..of course he's much better than playoff Bonner, but who isn't?..

As for Duncan, he did a good job last game in this regard..TD21 brings up a good point about the entry passing..it also hurts that Duncan's sealing isn't put to use more like it used to..he's one of the best I've ever seen at sealing and getting good position..Oberto and Horry used to play the high-low with Duncan a lot after he would get position, we don't really have any players that can do the same on this team..

DAF86
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I would throw up if the Spurs acquired Frye..he's going to be overpaid and he's a certified playoff choker..of course he's much better than playoff Bonner, but who isn't?..

As for Duncan, he did a good job last game in this regard..TD21 brings up a good point about the entry passing..it also hurts that Duncan's sealing isn't put to use more like it used to..he's one of the best I've ever seen at sealing and getting good position..Oberto and Horry used to play the high-low with Duncan a lot after he would get position, we don't really have any players that can do the same on this team..

He sure isn't showing it against us.

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2010, 11:18 PM
36 percent in last year's playoffs and 36 percent in the 1st round vs. Portland..Frye's performance speaks more about the Spurs' D than it does for his ability..

Mr Bones
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
A rotation with Splitter starting and McDyess and Frye coming off the bench would be a pretty significant upgrade in my opinion.

mingus
05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
i would like Frye. so he has a bad playoff series or 2 (and he never had any playoff experience before last year, and a lot of guys have bad 1st playoffs series - look at Durant, for example. plenty of guys that are clutch have had bad series (Robert Horry went 2/37 at one point i believe in '03 when he was with the Lakers; Hedo was shit with us but gained a rep. of being clutch in Orlando). he might be soft, but on this team, we wouldn't be using him for any other reason than to stretch the floor. he's proven he can do that so far this series, and during the reg. season.

and to answer the op: Duncan would have seurely abused Frye a couple of years ago; it's not automatic like it used to be for TD.

HarlemHeat37
05-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Even if you ignore the fact that Frye is a moist pussy, he's going to get paid a lot more than the Spurs will be willing to pay for a 4th/5th big..

Everybody here is falling in love with a player that made some wide open shots that Bonner couldn't make..

As for your examples..none of those guys are comparable, other than Horry..Frye's role is to make wide open shots, which he usually hasn't in the playoffs, unlike guys like Durant and Hedo that were guard by the other team's top perimeter defender and have to create plays..Horry had a well-established clutch career before a bad stretch, so I don't see it..

Frye might turn out to have some balls, but he hasn't shown it during his playoff career so far..role playing stretch bigs that shoot those types of numbers and don't provide much else generally turn out to be chokers..Frye has more time, but 2 games against the Spurs doesn't mean anything..let's see him do it next round and I'll change my stance..

ducks
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
36 percent in last year's playoffs and 36 percent in the 1st round vs. Portland..Frye's performance speaks more about the Spurs' D than it does for his ability..

26% percent shooting on the road this postseason
he plays much better at home
spurs d needs to make him shot long two's he misses them

crc21209
05-07-2010, 12:04 AM

+1. Him and Dudley were absolutely horrible in the 1st four games of their 1st round series against Portland. It wasnt until Game 5 at home that they started to hit their shots...

TD 21
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
The big men on this team are poor passers. McDyess and Bonner aren't in Horry's or even Oberto's league in this regard. I haven't seen the Spurs run their pressure release play once this year for when Duncan is being fronted in the post. They used to have Horry flash to the pinch post, catch a pass, then have Duncan spin back door and Horry would throw a bounce pass on the money to Duncan for the easy finish.

Blackjack
05-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I always suspected Frye was a "Bonner" when I first saw him but he actually hit timely, clutch perimeter shots on more than a few occasions at Arizona -- the guy's pretty soft from a physical perspective but I'm not so sure he's a "Bonner" (as in possessing mental-midgetness).

As far as Duncan taking advantage of him, if only it were that easy. The Suns are using quickness on him -- fronting, coming on the move, and sitting in his lap -- and the Spurs' passers, outside of Ginobili, are all pretty poor reactive/instinctual passers -- the window is open for a split second and even a guy like Tony usually has to process it mentally before throwing it. That processing on his behalf and the ineptitude on others behalf results in a lot of missed windows.

TD 21 makes a good point about the flash to the foul line. If Tim had someone 3/4 him or front him in the past, it was just about cash that Oberto or Horry were going to flash to the line and toss an entry pass where Tim could do something with it. Oberto was a truly gifted passer (I often wonder how much better it would've been displayed had he played with the Kings and Adleman) and Horry was an intelligent, learned passer -- not gifted necessarily ... he just knew what to do and how to execute it. Both were confident in their passing, though, which is something definitely lacking from this current frontline. (Bonner? Please . . .LOL)

The key is to get Tim on the move and to not have him set up shop in one place. I thought they did a much better job in the first half but when The Suns went small, the Spurs resorted to just putting him on the box, standing around and trying to throw an entry pass against the Suns' quickness -- which, again, with out quality, confident passers, you're just not going to find success making lead passes and throwing to space.

Their spacing's crap and the Suns have quick, active defenders that can make the passer question the pass. They've got to start hitting some threes and find a way to not miss as many windows.

fivehoursfree
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
One problem is they are doubling Timmy quickly, and none our shooters are making them pay for that. they double with Nash a lot and he has quick hands.

HarlemHeat37
05-17-2010, 10:19 PM
:lol @ people wanting Channing Frye..

Cant_Be_Faded
05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Like all Spurs lower-tier team rivalries, their role players shrivel up into the fetal position when they play The Lakers.

MaNu4Tres
05-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Like all Spurs lower-tier team rivalries, their role players shrivel up into the fetal position when they play The Lakers.

Or as Sheed would say,

" They butt-holes get tight."

Blackjack
05-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Or as Sheed would say,

" They butt-holes get tight."

That's what happens when "both teams play hard."

mingus
05-18-2010, 03:42 AM
:lol @ people wanting Channing Frye..

i give credit where credit is due. you called it.

it pisses me off that against the Spurs he looked like Robert Horry, though. seeing him out there made me think of Bonner