PDA

View Full Version : Brooks AFB

Jimcs50
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Is it true that Sec Donald Rumsfeld has put Brooks AFB on the list of base closings to be announced next week? They are supposed to close 9 bases and it is rumored that that is one of them.

What affect will that have on your economy?

05-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I can't see them closing what they have in a research unit there, but who knows.

In my estimation (which ain't worth spit), Brooks closing would be a much lesser "hit" then it was when Kelly closed.

exstatic
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
That kind of funny, because the city pays most of the bills for what is referred to as Brooks City Base now. How much could they actually save, I wonder?

I would imagine that if they closed it, they might just move the HRL to Randolph or Lackland.

05-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Ex, you're Ex Air Force, aren't you? I'd see them moving it to Nellis or wherever that have their test bed bases (i.e. Pax River for the Navy).

SequSpur
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Brooks is already damn near closed. What there is no news in Aggieville? Hey, when the f are you coming for a gtg.

exstatic
05-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Ex, you're Ex Air Force, aren't you? I'd see them moving it to Nellis or wherever that have their test bed bases (i.e. Pax River for the Navy).

Yeah. Things change a lot in 7 years, though. The AF is down to like 8 major commands, so I don't know where they would move the HRL. It might be cost effective to keep it in town, though. I think last time they evaluated bases, a bunch of the big brains at Brooks got together a petition saying they would quit and not move if they closed the base.

AlamoSpursFan
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
What would they do with all of the moon rocks that are stored there?

Oh wait, we didn't actually go to the moon, that was a hoax...

:rolleyes