PDA

View Full Version : I hate to rehash, but it bears mentioning that

tim_duncan_fan
05-07-2010, 03:01 AM
if Pop didn't fuck up Mason's psyche we'd have a good streak-shooter capable of random 20 point, 5-9 3PA games and sadly, that's exactly the type of player we need right now.

Blackjack
05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
If Mason was worth a damn he'd be finding a way to contribute in his contract year. It's not like he hasn't been given the opportunity.

L.I.T
05-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Bullshit.

Pop has been giving Mason minutes to get him going. If he can't take advantage of them to prove he's worthy of more minutes that ain't on Pop; that's on Mason.

alchemist
05-07-2010, 05:18 AM
fuck you Manu for getting injured forcing Mason to play out of position
that's how it should read. :wakeup

TJastal
05-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Bullshit.

Pop has been giving Mason minutes to get him going. If he can't take advantage of them to prove he's worthy of more minutes that ain't on Pop; that's on Mason.

Two words: Garret Temple.

DBMethos
05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
If he's that mentally weak, why would you expect him to be able to contribute on a championship team?

Cane
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
The past two years were Mason Jr.'s career high from downtown at around 40% but all of his prior seasons and this year is back to his norm of shooting in the low 30's.

This guy was just scrub material. He's also been shitty in his short playoffs career prior to getting his minutes rightfully neutered this season. Now he's shooting around 14% from downtown in this year's playoffs.

He's fallen a long way from being the X-Mas day hero against the Suns but that was his peak year.

ManuTastic
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Two words: Garret Temple.

Hell, I'd go with that. At least give him a try for spot minutes. He's got a good outside shot.

blizz
05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
wait....Pop ruined Mason? Bullshit....the job and minutes were his to keep when they let go of Fin. He sucks ass PERIOD. How did that famous line go? Right now I'd trade him for herpes in the ass? Something like that.

coyotes_geek
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
If he's that mentally weak, why would you expect him to be able to contribute on a championship team?

Bingo. You can fault Pop for trying something that didn't work. But I don't see how you can hold Pop responsible for the total collapse that followed. Mason's a veteran and veterans shouldn't just fall completely apart over being asked to do something they're not accustomed to. I won't hold Mason responsible for not being the point guard Pop hoped he could be, but I do hold him responsible for no longer being able to do the things that he was already good at.

kaji157
05-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Oh man... is pop responsible for Bonner 29% 3pt shooting? was he given enough opportunities??

You could argue that pop messed up a few rookies, but not Mason nor Bonner.

Dex
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Mason's had his chances to get in a rhythm and earn playing time this year, and in these playoffs. He hasn't been able to do a damn thing with them.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
While I agree that Pop might deserve some blame for fucking up Mason's confidence last year, Mason's had a looooooong time to redeem himself and has not so much as had two good games to show for it.

mabrignani
05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
did somebody say HASH????

ChumpDumper
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Mason sucks because of Mason.

He flat out quit this team in February.

sananspursfan21
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM

yah, i'm on the hate-mason bandwagon because of himself. he's playing in the nba. a coach hurting his feelings is something he should have left back in high school.

Baseline
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
if Pop didn't fuck up Mason's psyche we'd have a good streak-shooter capable of random 20 point, 5-9 3PA games and sadly, that's exactly the type of player we need right now.

This is true. It's the "doghouse effect."

The Suns bench players play loose and full of confidence, so they get the most out of their abilities. Conversely, the Spurs bench players are scared to death because of Pop's doghouse effect. Believe me, there's a huge difference in playing tight and scared, and playing loose. It's all about how the coach handles you.

Pop's stifling psychological techniques have screwed with various players for years. It took Brent Barry over two years and a botched trade to start playing loose - by then he didn't care what Pop said because he could be traded at any second. Pop signed Barry - a shooter and playmaker - yet expected tough defense from him, and that's not who he is. Pop expected the similar play from RJ, yet that's not who he is. Pop expected PG play from Mason, yet that's not who he is.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
This is true. It's the "doghouse effect."

The Suns bench players play loose and full of confidence, so they get the most out of their abilities. Conversely, the Spurs bench players are scared to death because of Pop's doghouse effect. Believe me, there's a huge difference in playing tight and scared, and playing loose. It's all about how the coach handles you.

Pop's stifling psychological techniques have screwed with various players for years. It took Brent Barry over two years and a botched trade to start playing loose - by then he didn't care what Pop said because he could be traded at any second. Pop signed Barry - a shooter and playmaker - yet expected tough defense from him, and that's not who he is. Pop expected the similar play from RJ, yet that's not who he is. Pop expected PG play from Mason, yet that's not who he is.

There is some logic to this. The Suns had no confidence in its bench and wouldn't give most of them a chance outside of Barbosa before Gentry. Dragic is a prime example. He almost encourages him to play loose and make a mistake, because then he isn't playing passive. He was horrible playing for Porter and his confidence was shot. He started playing better once Gentry became the coach. I don't think that is a coincidence.

TJastal
05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
There is some logic to this. The Suns had no confidence in its bench and wouldn't give most of them a chance outside of Barbosa before Gentry. Dragic is a prime example. He almost encourages him to play loose and make a mistake, because then he isn't playing passive. He was horrible playing for Porter and his confidence was shot. He started playing better once Gentry became the coach. I don't think that is a coincidence.

shutup and quit blaming Popovich. Every player needs to step it up even if the coach changes their role/minutes 375845787845748578457454 times during the season.

dreamcastrocks
05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
shutup and quit blaming Popovich. Every player needs to step it up even if the coach changes their role/minutes 375845787845748578457454 times during the season.

LOL. That's exactly what I said. :lmao

alexinstereo
05-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Mason should focus on defense. He needs to contibute somehow, someway. His offense is just non existant. I can't help but look away everytime he touches the ball.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Put Beno Udrih's name in the OP, then I might be more inclined to agree. Compared to Mason, Pop ground Udrih into the ground with his heel. He's given Mason opportunity after opportunity, constantly putting him in a position to succeed, and doesn't embarrass or scream at him or call timeouts to yank him. Mason hasn't answered the bell. At all.

nkdlunch
05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Mason sucks because of Mason.

He flat out quit this team in February.

Spurologist
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Fucking sad. Mason was 9/17 against the suns this season

ChumpDumper
05-07-2010, 02:17 PM
He can't even play for his own contract anymore.

Some players are mentally tough and some aren't.

Mason is not.

MaNu4Tres
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
What I would do for Pop to activate Hairston at the expense of Mason.

ChumpDumper
05-07-2010, 02:24 PM
What I would do for Pop to activate Hairston at the expense of Mason.I might pick Gee at this point to draw some fouls, but I'll take anything but Mason.

Spurs Brazil
05-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Mason is a terrible player. It has nothing to do with Pop.

mason will be luck to be in the NBA next season

Blackjack
05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
What I would do for Pop to activate Hairston at the expense of Mason.

Just THC membership doing what THC membership is supposed to do. :smokin

I might pick Gee at this point to draw some fouls, but I'll take anything but Mason.

I may have found a new acronym: ABM :tu

TD 21
05-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Not that I'm not in agreement with the general consensus about Mason, because I am, but people continuously fail to mention that he has a torn ligament in the pinky of his shooting hand. You don't think that greatly affects his shooting? He hasn't done it for years, but he just came off back to back seasons where he was just under and then over 40% from 3. Even this season, after the slow start, he was slowly but surely trending towards that threshold until the injury. I'm not giving Mason a mulligan, but he deserves to have more rope than Bonner, who has no excuse whatsoever.

Big P
05-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Mason is in it for himself..not the team..fuck em.

MaNu4Tres
05-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Not that I'm not in agreement with the general consensus about Mason, because I am, but people continuously fail to mention that he has a torn ligament in the pinky of his shooting hand. You don't think that greatly affects his shooting? He hasn't done it for years, but he just came off back to back seasons where he was just under and then over 40% from 3. Even this season, after the slow start, he was slowly but surely trending towards that threshold until the injury. I'm not giving Mason a mulligan, but he deserves to have more rope than Bonner, who has no excuse whatsoever.

Mason is 29 for 123 from the distance since January 31, 2010. That my friend is 23.5 percent. The game where he supposedly injured his ligament was February 21, 2010 in Detroit.

Still you would think if it really hindered his shooting ability Pop wouldn't play him. It obviously doesn't effect it for Pop continuing on calling his number even in must win games (the playoffs). IMO

I for one can't wait for him to be gone.

He demanded to be traded so he can get more playing time, which tells me his ligament is nothing more than excuse for his performances due to the fact that he thought he could contribute and raise his stock going into the off-season with more opportunity.

FFF Mason and his selfish attitude. I'm amazed Pop has had the amount of patience in such a player.

TD 21
05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Mason is 29 for 123 from the distance since January 31, 2010. That my friend is 23.5 percent. The game where he supposedly injured his ligament was February 21, 2010 in Detroit.

Still you would think if it really hindered his shooting ability Pop wouldn't play him. It obviously doesn't effect it for Pop continuing on calling his number even in must win games (the playoffs). IMO

I for one can't wait for him to be gone.

He demanded to be traded so he can get more playing time, which tells me his ligament is nothing more than excuse for his performances due to the fact that he thought he could contribute and raise his stock going into the off-season with more opportunity.

FFF Mason and his selfish attitude. I'm amazed Pop has had the amount of patience in such a player.

Chalk it up to an inevitable bad shooting stretch, which only got worse when the injury occurred. I don't want to make it sound like I'm defending Mason, but I do think the injury should at least be factored in when mentioning his struggles.

I don't know if it's patience, I think Pop just assumes he's too good a shooter to continue to shoot this poorly, even with the injury. He probably hopes/thinks every time he calls on him, "Is this the night he catches fire?" Law of averages type thing.

I was for this mentality for a while, but it's obvious at this point that he's not going to get his stroke back for the rest of the season. And with the season on the line this weekend, Pop can't be stupid enough to chance months and months of hard work and preparation by playing Mason even a second of meaningful action. The same goes for Bonner (even though I know he'll play).