PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft II beta

xellos88330
05-07-2010, 05:22 PM
This game is gonna friggin rock! Just started the beta today and I must say I am incredibly impressed. The thing I am most happy about is the fact that you must defend your base from all directions due to threat of land units that can hop cliffs and things like that. No more blockades by buildings covering a single choke point. It adds a complete new dimension and destroys turtling making the game unpredictable and exciting.

I can't wait for retail version! :ihit

MiamiHeat
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
damn

turtling was my favorite strategy ;/

now i guess everyone has to immediately start building units? or turtle for the early game, but be prepared for the mid-late game with cliff hopping units? i imagine those cliff hoppers are mid-late game units, right?

my biggest problem is that SC2 is now 3d.

3D was shit in WC3, and it was shit in Age of Empires 3.

it's hard to see, the angles of view are obstructed, and it's too "ZOOMED IN"..... i like the overlord view, far up in the sky of 2D starcraft....

xellos88330
05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
It would be wise to build some units to start because the cliff jumping units are available pretty early. Usually within 4-8 minute mark you could start to build them depending on if that is your strategy or not.

I also didn't seem to have any problems with the 3d view. I do wish that it had a larger view area though.

sabar
05-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Turtling never worked in SC1 anyways. You'll get obliterated on resources every time and lose.

SC2 encourages early turtling because you always have a chokepoint that you start by. The early strategy is to block the point with supply depot/barracks/pylons/whatever and put a little defense behind it while you tech up. By the time cliffwalkers and air units arrive you should have stuff ready to expand and attack your opponent. Defensive structures suck in SC2 so don't plan on building a fortress.

Anyways, the 3D looks really nice. The whole game feels like Starcraft 1.5, it isn't that different than the original so far.

xellos88330
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Turtling always worked for me in SC1. The secret for me turtling successfully is all about the mid level units (i.e wraiths). They aren't as expensive and easily replaced. Decent AA/AG cloak so it is very useful defensively. I won countless games with that combination.

In SC2, that strategy is completely shot to shit. I do agree with the defensive structures sucking ass. Nowhere near as effective as they used to be. Best bet is to be able to get units up and fast.

TheSullyMonster
05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Man it's like I'm playing a different game than some of you.

But everybody needs to watch this. Sure it's staged, but funny nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRdAc0LEE5A&feature=player_embedded

xellos88330
05-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Man it's like I'm playing a different game than some of you.

But everybody needs to watch this. Sure it's staged, but funny nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRdAc0LEE5A&feature=player_embedded

It was ok.

7/27... cant wait!

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Turtling always worked for me in SC1. The secret for me turtling successfully is all about the mid level units (i.e wraiths). They aren't as expensive and easily replaced. Decent AA/AG cloak so it is very useful defensively. I won countless games with that combination.

In SC2, that strategy is completely shot to shit. I do agree with the defensive structures sucking ass. Nowhere near as effective as they used to be. Best bet is to be able to get units up and fast.

Its not shot to shit. Professional players use it all the time to prevent cheese tactics. You just can't bunker yourself in and hope to survive a game with anyone that knows how to play half way decent. Then again, you couldn't do that in SC1 either. You'd get out-macroed in no time.

Some of my favorite changes are: high yields. Terran mules (so effective in getting you back on your feet or just giving you that immediate boost). Zergling speed got augmented to insane proportions, so much so that zerglings now are incredibly useful provided you know how to micro them properly. Zerg roaches were fucking incredible before the latest patch nerfed them, they're still good but now cost 2 instead of 1. Fucks with everyone's roach build. There are a lot more, just don't feel like keep going.

In short, they've done an incredible job in changing just enough to make it fresh without fucking up the incredible mixture of elements that made the first Starcraft a revolutionary leap in RTS gaming.

xellos88330
05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Its not shot to shit. Professional players use it all the time to prevent cheese tactics. You just can't bunker yourself in and hope to survive a game with anyone that knows how to play half way decent. Then again, you couldn't do that in SC1 either. You'd get out-macroed in no time.

Some of my favorite changes are: high yields. Terran mules (so effective in getting you back on your feet or just giving you that immediate boost). Zergling speed got augmented to insane proportions, so much so that zerglings now are incredibly useful provided you know how to micro them properly. Zerg roaches were fucking incredible before the latest patch nerfed them, they're still good but now cost 2 instead of 1. Fucks with everyone's roach build. There are a lot more, just don't feel like keep going.

In short, they've done an incredible job in changing just enough to make it fresh without fucking up the incredible mixture of elements that made the first Starcraft a revolutionary leap in RTS gaming.

I went from defensive in SC1 to offensive in SC2. Bunkering down is defnitely not a way to go. My defense is my units that I build. Allows for counterattack immediately after thwarting the initial rush.

I have found turtling to be quite effective in 2v2. You just need to have a smart teammate. I built nothing but defense and a few units (zealots/stalkers) to keep my base safe. I sent my ally most of the gas that I had been saving so he can go crazy with the expensive units. Worked like a charm.

TheSullyMonster
05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
The 2v2 maps in circulation right now do favor turtling and a more passive early game right now, yes. I still feel that the mid game is more active than SC1.

But against somebody who scouts, turtling is a death sentence. Especially in 1v1.

TheSullyMonster
05-26-2010, 01:12 AM
This last patch broke the fuck out of the game.