PDA

View Full Version : How has the departure of fo talent affected SA

GO SPurs Go
05-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Presti and PJ leave -> No one (sorry Hill) in drafts and RJ trade. Reactions?

EricB
05-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Dejuan Blair is a no one? Mcdyess?

jason1301
05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Ian Mahinmi! And sorry G Hill is a pretty damn good draft pick.

GO SPurs Go
05-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Nazr>Blair imho, of course blair's just a rookie so you have a point

EricB
05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Nazr>Blair imho, of course blair's just a rookie so you have a point

:lmao @ nazr

GO SPurs Go
Ian Mahinmi! And sorry G Hill is a pretty damn good draft pick.

Um....I'm starting to believe that Ian's just another Dorell Wright, Darco Millicic, etc

tdunk21
look what sam presti has done in okc....imo it really hurt us....

slick'81
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
ian is looking more and more like a loss and hill is a good pick lets c what they do this year with the 2oth selection

TheProfessor
05-07-2010, 11:55 PM
How hard is it for people to understand that drafting in the late 20's does not ensure obtaining a quality player every year? It's a crapshoot that late in the first round. The free agency decisions were what ultimately cost us.

TheProfessor
05-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Um....I'm starting to believe that Ian's just another Dorell Wright, Darco Millicic, etc
:lol Yes, Ian, a late first round pick, is right up there with one of the worst draft snafus of all time :tu

ChumpDumper
05-07-2010, 11:56 PM
look what sam presti has done in okc....imo it really hurt us....Yeah, we could've drafted Durant if Presti was still here.

L.I.T
05-08-2010, 12:00 AM
The Spurs have youth in the pipeline.

I am not quite sure why some Spursfans don't get this. As horrible as this series has been, are we really saying that with quality moves in the offseason to bring in some more hard-nosed defenders and shooters the Spurs won't be better next year?

Hill will be in his 3rd year; and with the type of effort he put into his offensive game over last summer should be put into his defensive game.

Blair will have one year of experience under his belt; plus some valuable playoff experience.

Splitter (if indications are correct) will be coming over to provide some size, big game experience and athletic ability.

Yes, the Spurs FO has made some mistakes, but the situation is far from dire.

EricB
05-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Presti wanted to run his own team. The spurs couldn't promote him any higher. Plus presti drafted well but he has his misses as well..

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, we could've drafted Durant if Presti was still here.

:lol

ChumpDumper
05-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Presti wanted to run his own team. The spurs couldn't promote him any higher. Plus presti drafted well but he has his misses as well..Beaubois for BJ Mullens?

Ouch.

Shows that late first rounders aren't guarantees.

tdunk21
05-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah, we could've drafted Durant if Presti was still here.

Rj trade wouldnt have happend if presti was here...

3 mistakes FO has done

1) not signing ariza or artest type of players who would have really changed the defense for the spurs
2) trade for RJ and gettin him limited touches every game....and expecting him to be a good defender
3)not trading RMJ at the deadline when he wanted to leave.....

ChumpDumper
05-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Rj trade wouldnt have happend if presti was here...Presti, and basically any GM, would be fired for not pulling the trigger on that trade.

ElNono
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
The Spurs have youth in the pipeline.

I am not quite sure why some Spursfans don't get this. As horrible as this series has been, are we really saying that with quality moves in the offseason to bring in some more hard-nosed defenders and shooters the Spurs won't be better next year?

Those don't grow on trees.

EricB
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Rj trade wouldnt have happend if presti was here...

3 mistakes FO has done

1) not signing ariza or artest type of players who would have really changed the defense for the spurs
2) trade for RJ and gettin him limited touches every game....and expecting him to be a good defender
3)not trading RMJ at the deadline when he wanted to leave.....

You can't trade a player no one else wants.

Also uh ariza nor arrest was coming to SA for the MLE and ok u get lucky and get them who's ur starting center?

L.I.T
05-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Those don't grow on trees.

With the depth of the veteran talent pool this off-season there should be something out there to get. Are we going to find a Bowen or an Horry? No, but a Jaren Jackson or Mario Elie type player is very possible. There will also be some athleticism and the forward position available.

I've maintained it all year long, and have seen nothing this playoffs to the contrary, but the core of TP/Manu/TD/Dice/Hill/Blair, can still be a force next year.

And yes, I purposefully left off RJeff. Talent-wise he's shit; but an expiring contract like his could be a trade chip for a team that misses out on the big talent and wants to set themselves up for the 2011 offseason and CBA uncertainty.

crc21209
05-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Whats up with all these newbies wanting to make a thread for everything thats on their mind? :td

KaiRMD1
05-08-2010, 02:27 AM
In all honesty, whether the Spurs make history or not, this season wasn't a total bust but more of a slow start. Next season will be a different story, I think. I'm liking where the Spurs are going, especially with Blair & Hill. I'd like to believe Jefferson will find his way next season at least because he has made some strides this season to fit into the Spurs rotation. Honestly, next season looks pretty good if this season ends next week.

HankChinaski
05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Health was the biggest issue this season.
Most fans thought we were going to get last years Dick Jefferson and for what we gave up and gambled for him I am still okay with that trade. McDyess' signing was a good signing.

Our FO Talent is still great.

Capt Bringdown
05-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Hill will be in his 3rd year; and with the type of effort he put into his offensive game over last summer should be put into his defensive game.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to his dismal performance in this series. I'm shocked at how bad he looks against the Suns.

Fabbs
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
You can't trade a player no one else wants.

Also uh ariza nor arrest was coming to SA for the MLE and ok u get lucky and get them who's ur starting center?
1. What player are you talking about?

2. Tim Duncan is the Spurs starting center.

elbamba
05-08-2010, 09:51 AM
look what sam presti has done in okc....imo it really hurt us....

Presti is great, dont get me wrong. But he had Durant handed to him by Portland being stupid and taking Oden.

Presti blew up his team to get draft picks. The Spurs could not do that because we already have the talent in Tim, Manu and Tony. There is a reason that the Thunder have not been in the playoffs the past two seasons. We were in the conference finals in 08. You don't give any Tim, Manu and Tony a year removed from going to the conference finals.

Now the Spurs are showing their ages. More then that, the Spurs are showing that they do not have dependable role players like Horry, Barry and Bowen.

This offseason, the Spurs will try to bring in Splitter and probably draft a legit small forward.

Spurs could have Tim, Manu, Tony, Hill, Blair, Splitter, Dice and 1st rounder. That is not a bad core of basketball players. Does anyone think that Hill and Blair will not continue to get better?

I could see the Spurs using Hill as the SG and moving Temple as the backup PG. He showed a lot of promise this year. Add Hairiston and potentially Ian and i think the Spurs will have a team that can compete next year.

What has killed us against the Suns is the inability to rotate to cut off threes. The Spurs never had that problem because we had so many great athletic players that knew the defensive system. Brining in additional youth will help us correct some of the breakdown that killed us. I feel comfortable with what the Spurs will be doing going forward.

now if we can only get rid of Jefferson.

EmptyMan
05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Blair and Hill will be awesome next year. I can't wait.

Spurs just need big men who aren't pussies.