PDA

View Full Version : Who coached better Gentry or Popavich?

Fabbs
05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Real simple.
Who coached the series better Gregor Pop or Alvin Gentry?

Juanobili
05-08-2010, 12:23 AM
The Suns are up 3-0

was this necessary?

MaNu4Tres
05-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Who has played better Suns role players or the Spurs' role players?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm gonna vote for Pop just because Fabbs is retarded.

Riverwalkman
Who the hell is Gregor Popavich?

4>0rings
Alright, who's the idiot that voted Pop?

VBM
05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
On a serious note...Gentry comes off as a pretty calming influence for the Suns...seems like they truly like playing for him (unlike Porter)

TheProfessor
05-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Who's an obsessed, myopic dumbass?

I vote Fabbs.

sabar
05-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Who's team had more than 3 players show up?
Who's team shoots 50% from the charity stripe?
Which team has no bench?

The Suns could of had no coach and we could of had Phil Jackson and it was a loss. We suck, stop making excuses.

FromWayDowntown
05-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Everything that goes wrong with the Spurs is Pop's fault.

Really, he should be fired before Game 4.

Great tacticians like Mike Dunleavy are available.

Fabbs
05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Alright, who's the idiot that voted Pop?
monoslobGETSowned or sabar would be good bets.

Pero
05-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Well duh. Who's the coach that said he was afraid of the Lakers and if it's Dallas it's Dallas? That was the end of the Spurs. :lol

blkroadrunners
05-08-2010, 12:39 AM

:vomit:

greyforest
05-08-2010, 12:40 AM
series was less about coaching and more about draining 3s

Baseline
05-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Wrong. If the Spurs were coached by Rick Adelman, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Larry Borwn, or even Jeff Van Gundy, we would not be down 3-0 right now. We would be up 2-1, because we wouldn't have blown 15 point leads, and we wouldn't be shredded by the same play for three straight games.

Popovich coaches out of negativity. You heard him say tonight that, "It's a game of mistakes." That's his way of looking at things. A lot of people would say, "It's a game of making plays." Or..."It's a matter of taking it."

Pop's negativity and pessimism is finally wearing on the Big Three, and certainly on George Hill. It has runined Mason, and hindered RJ all season. I'm not sticking up for RJ, because I can't stand him, but every other coach in the league would have gotten more out of him than Popovich has this year. It's inexcusable.

It seems like every time Tim misses a free throw, the whole team deflates and loses confidence. What is that about? The negativity comes straight from Popovich - this is the atmosphere he creates. Guys are running around out there trying not to make a mistake.

On the other side of the coin, you hear Gentry tell Dragic, "Don't worry about making mistakes - just be aggressive." Now that's coaching from a positive angle - getting the most out of your player....something Popovich has absolutely no clue about.

jdev82
05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Who's team had more than 3 players show up?
Who's team shoots 50% from the charity stripe?
Which team has no bench?

The Suns could of had no coach and we could of had Phil Jackson and it was a loss. We suck, stop making excuses.

what is it with you people and not knowing that the phrase is could HAVE and could OF. you sound like a pretard.

Spurs da champs
05-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Pop is the better coach but in game 2 Gentry really played smart by having Frye at center against Duncan. Other then that it's just because their so much deeper and a much better bench then the spurs. Eliot saying the spurs have best bench all season long lol.

Pero
05-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Eliot saying the spurs have best bench all season long lol.

Spurs fans were saying the same thing.

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2010, 01:45 AM
pop doesnt know a good rotation on the floor to keep a fkn lead when duncan needs a fkn rest....why rest when theres like 2-3mins left at the end of quarters...

rmt
05-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Wrong. If the Spurs were coached by Rick Adelman, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Larry Borwn, or even Jeff Van Gundy, we would not be down 3-0 right now. We would be up 2-1, because we wouldn't have blown 15 point leads, and we wouldn't be shredded by the same play for three straight games.

Popovich coaches out of negativity. You heard him say tonight that, "It's a game of mistakes." That's his way of looking at things. A lot of people would say, "It's a game of making plays." Or..."It's a matter of taking it."

Pop's negativity and pessimism is finally wearing on the Big Three, and certainly on George Hill. It has runined Mason, and hindered RJ all season. I'm not sticking up for RJ, because I can't stand him, but every other coach in the league would have gotten more out of him than Popovich has this year. It's inexcusable.

It seems like every time Tim misses a free throw, the whole team deflates and loses confidence. What is that about? The negativity comes straight from Popovich - this is the atmosphere he creates. Guys are running around out there trying not to make a mistake.

On the other side of the coin, you hear Gentry tell Dragic, "Don't worry about making mistakes - just be aggressive." Now that's coaching from a positive angle - getting the most out of your player....something Popovich has absolutely no clue about.

I agree. Manu said it in his press conference, "We have to play a perfect game." Who can play a perfect game? That's deflating. The players are afraid of making a mistake, afraid of fouling (which he said they did in the 1st game). It's like it's drilled into the players' heads - don't do whatever caused us to lose the last game.

How can Popovich go an entire game doing the same thing and not make any adjustment or try something different (like a zone) after they get burned time and time again switching? Isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? His stubbornness contributed a lot to the position they're in. This series was lost in the 1st game when he left Hill out there to be carved up by Nash and gave the Suns confidence.

peskypesky
05-08-2010, 02:17 AM
a turd could out-coach Poppa Itch

SEPU GINOBILI
05-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Pop can not do miracles, can not make Bogans and Bonner become Dirk and Kobe ... the problem is the role players, not the technical, remember the championships that gave us Pop, Tony, Tim and Manu, they just need a little help from the bench

WalterBenitez
05-08-2010, 06:54 AM
3-0 is pretty clear, evidence suports the call.

pjjrfan
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM

You make some good points but I think it's more of the talent he has to work with. HIs methods brought out the best out of Malick Rose, Jaren Jackson, Steven Jackon, speedy, Parker, Bowen, Oberto, Antonio Daniels, the list goes on and on. IN the case of Parker he created a bona fide star. All these guys had one thing in common IMO they had mental toughness. Bonner, Hill, Jefferson, and Mason definitly lack this and I gotta wait on Hill to see if he can get out of his funk but it looks like he may go that route also. I think Blair just doesn't know how to be scared he has suffered from trying to do to much but he is definitly fearless out there.
And oh yeah he did win 4 titles along the way also.

Oh, Gee!!
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Who the hell is Gregor Popavich?

sounds like a hitman for the russian mob

rfbulletdude
05-08-2010, 08:54 AM
who are the fuktards that voted for pop?

Oh, Gee!!
05-08-2010, 08:56 AM
bbarry, DUNCANownsKOBE, MaNu4Tres, Riverwalkman, sabar

WalterBenitez
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Pop's family and those who disagree with you :p:

royal2006
05-08-2010, 10:25 AM

i do partially agree. don't take me wrong, players should take their fair share of blame. yet in a trailing of 0-3, pop didn't adjust, we lost to pick n roll all series.
we should have try different things, for example, zone, temple, hairson. you will never know, but we have nothing to lose at this point

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna vote for Pop just because Fabbs is retarded.

I voted for Pop for those who are wondering......of course Gentry out coached him in this series......Fabbs is just a jackoff for making a poll that belittles a coach who's at a low point right now.

gospursgojas
05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Its not hard too call the same play 85 times. Its not so much the coaching as it is the Suns system>Spurs system. But then again if the coaches are the ones who put the system in place...maybe.

I can't blame pop. In the past he's always found an answer to how teams are beating the spurs. This year with the suns he hasn't but that's bc there is no answer. Spurs have no answer for the suns pick and roll. If they switch, hedge, double the pick, double the pass, whatever they are getting beat.

alchemist
05-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Give Pop the Suns 3pt shooters and they're not losing 1 game in the playoffs :wakeup

I don't doubt for a second that the Spurs will make their move to pick up Frye this off season.

Harry Callahan
05-08-2010, 11:29 AM
OOPs. I missed the last part of the poll question. Gentry was better in the series. The Spurs players didn't help Pop and Pop didn't help the Spurs players.

You as a coach also look a lot smarter when you team shoots over 50% from the 3 point like for an entire series.

You as a coach also look a lot less smart when you team shoots 50% from the free throw line with no hand in your face.

The Spurs may be a lottery team next year if Duncan can't play 75 games.

2-3 new guys must come into the Spurs top nine players next year. Too many of the players in the rotation are simply not very good athletes (Bonner Bogans are two that come to mind) and are limited as basketball players.

Agloco
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Real simple.
Who coached the series better Gregor Pop or Alvin Gentry?

There isn't an option for the Suns shooting coach......

tuncaboylu
05-08-2010, 01:28 PM

This is also wrong. Rick Adelman? Wasn't he coaching the Kings against Lakers in 2002? Wasn't his team up by 24 in G3 of Western finals and lost the game with Horry's buzzer three? That was one the greatest comeback of NBA play-offs? I'm sure that all the other coachs team couldn't keep 15 points difference in sometimes.

I'm not the lawyer of Gregg, but it's obvious that Gelvin has a better support cast. He's using them very well and good for you, but that players are good enough to be trusted. Our rotation is only 6 players, Bonner, Mason and Bogans couldn't help. You can't blame Pop about it, that's their limited capacity. Gregg likes to use an extended rotation, it was our better side against D'antoni's Suns. D'antoni was using 7 guys rotation and we were using 9 and we eleminated Suns each time. Now everything changed.

ElNono
05-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't blame Pop the coach. I do think Pop the VP of basketball operations has some level of responsibility.

MmP
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
is this a real poll?
Pop swiching on every screen??

m33p0
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Gentry, not because he's the better coach but because he had better tools.

Sisk
05-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Who has played better Suns role players or the Spurs' role players?

No. Shit.

Can't do much when their bench can't miss a damn shot.

CubanMustGo
05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
All I want to know is why Fabbs didn't start a poll after the Dallas series asking who coached that one better. Could it be because he's a myopic fucktard so focused on his obsessive hatred of Popovich that it's impossible for him to ever admit Pop does a good job?

rascal
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Pop signs off and is responsible for his roster. So yes it is his fault.
The spurs front office did a poor job in putting this team together, really had no shot for a title this year.

spursfan1000
05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
This guy dosen't even know how to spell Popovich's name haha.

FilSpursFan
05-08-2010, 08:54 PM
the suns are playing good, but Gentry is not the reason... if he was good he could have improve the clippers during his term there. kudos to the suns..

TJastal
05-09-2010, 04:53 AM
I voted for Pop for those who are wondering......of course Gentry out coached him in this series......Fabbs is just a jackoff for making a poll that belittles a coach who's at a low point right now.

At least Fabbs is consistent with his belittling. You've done nothing but belittle and bemoan about Steve Nash for years yet now suddenly you've got a picture of him in your sig now that the suns are going places. You should really take your bandwaggoning ass back to the nba board and keep it there.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
:lol calling me bandwagon, I think most people in this forum consider you and Faggs to be two of the biggest bandwagoners on this site.

TJastal
05-09-2010, 08:53 AM
:lol calling me bandwagon, I think most people in this forum consider you and Faggs to be two of the biggest bandwagoners on this site.

I don't really care what you or others on this site think.

TJastal
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM

So are you trying to tell us that having a picture of Nash suddenly appear on your signature after all the negativity you've spouted over the years about the guy isn't bandwagonning?

TJastal
05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I love how DOK never has to give a shred of proof for any of his claims.... it's always what "he thinks" or whatever "he thinks others think" as his ultimate proof.

ROFL.

Fabbs
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah *they* keep voting just enough to keep it at 80%-20%.
Hover over the number (right now it's at 14) and click on it and the "asstard alert" will show who voted.

bbarry, bobbybob0, charlespoland, dbestpro, DUNCANownsKOBE, FilSpursFan, Harry Callahan, Macca76, MaNu4Tres, Riverwalkman, rold50, sabar, Sisk, Spurs da champs

Probably several or more of their *votes* is from the same poster. One is a known fail multiple profile troll DUNCANownsKOBE aka monoslobGETSowned, Gordan Dragic, bunch of other lame profiles. Been exposed on the other forums eons ago. He/she most often posts to himself in some attempt to appear as if he/she has support for his posts. As was pointed out he used to attempt to diss Nash now he is sucking him off.

ballhog
05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Not even close.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
So are you trying to tell us that having a picture of Nash suddenly appear on your signature after all the negativity you've spouted over the years about the guy isn't bandwagonning?

??? I've been critical of Nash since he basically quit on the team last year, but no that's not bandwagoning. Bandwagoning is when you and Faggs start cheering for the Spurs in 2003.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah *they* keep voting just enough to keep it at 80%-20%.
Hover over the number (right now it's at 14) and click on it and the "asstard alert" will show who voted.

bbarry, bobbybob0, charlespoland, dbestpro, DUNCANownsKOBE, FilSpursFan, Harry Callahan, Macca76, MaNu4Tres, Riverwalkman, rold50, sabar, Sisk, Spurs da champs

Probably several or more of their *votes* is from the same poster. One is a known fail multiple profile troll DUNCANownsKOBE aka monoslobGETSowned, Gordan Dragic, bunch of other lame profiles. Been exposed on the other forums eons ago. He/she most often posts to himself in some attempt to appear as if he/she has support for his posts. As was pointed out he used to attempt to diss Nash now he is sucking him off.

:lmao stupid fuck thinking me and mono are the same person :lmao

FromWayDowntown
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
The Spurs should hire Gentry this summer. Whatever it takes.

And then the hoards can complain that the Spurs would have saved a lot of time and effort if they had just hired him in 1997.

EricB
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM
All I want to know is why Fabbs didn't start a poll after the Dallas series asking who coached that one better. Could it be because he's a myopic fucktard so focused on his obsessive hatred of Popovich that it's impossible for him to ever admit Pop does a good job?

Pretty much...

TJastal
05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
??? I've been critical of Nash since he basically quit on the team last year, but no that's not bandwagoning. Bandwagoning is when you and Faggs start cheering for the Spurs in 2003.

I'd say by the sheer volume of critical posts you've made about Nash this hatred extends way beyond last year. But since were on the subject just when did Nash ever quit on the suns? I've never seen the guy say or do anything but give 100% for that organization. Where's your proof of his quitting last year?

So after literally hundreds of vitriolic posts (maybe thousands LOL) ripping Nash to shreds all of a sudden since the suns made it past the 1st round he's good enough to be proudly displayed in your sig.... if that's not bandwaggoning I don't know what is.

:lol

Fabbs
05-09-2010, 10:13 PM

beautiful post. Solid.
True.