PDA

View Full Version : FCC Approves On-Demand Streaming of First Run Movies

Spurminator
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/the-end-of-movie-theaters-fcc-will-allow-studios-to-send-films-directly-to-consumers-over-secure-tv-lines/

THE END OF MOVIE THEATERS? FCC Will Allow Studios To Send First-Run Films Directly To Consumers Over Secure TV (http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/the-end-of-movie-theaters-fcc-will-allow-studios-to-send-films-directly-to-consumers-over-secure-tv-lines/)

By Nikki Finke (http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/) | Tags: Big Media (http://www.deadline.com/tag/big-media/), MPAA (http://www.deadline.com/tag/mpaa/), Regulation (http://www.deadline.com/tag/regulation/) | Friday May 7, 2010 @ 2:23pm PDT

The MPAA, which is the Hollywood studios' lobbying organization, just made this announcement about the FCC's very bad decision. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: once again, Big Media shows that it doesn't want to share its profits with anyone else. Today's action allows the major movie studios to undercut the entire process of theatrical release. It would put the struggling cinema chains virtually out of business.

(Updates MPAA Asks FCC To Let Studios Transmit First-Run Films Directly To Consumers (http://www.deadline.com/2009/11/mpaa-betrays-theaters-asks-fcc-to-let-studios-transmit-first-run-films-directly-to-consumers/)):
Washington, D.C. — The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), saying it was “in the public interest” today approved a request by the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) to permit recent movies to be sent directly to American households over secure high definition transmission lines from their cable or satellite providers prior to their release on DVD or Blu-ray.

“This action is an important victory for consumers who will now have far greater access to see recent high definition movies in their homes. And it is a major step forward in the development of new business models by the motion picture industry to respond to growing consumer demand.” said Bob Pisano, President and Interim CEO of the MPAA. “We deeply appreciate the recognition by the FCC that recently released movies need special protection against content theft when they are distributed to home televisions.”

Specifically, the issue before the FCC was a request by the MPAA for permission to use selectable output control (SOC), which would allow televisions with digitally secure interfaces to receive high-definition content from a cable, satellite or IPTV provider, before its release on DVD or Blue-ray. Using SOC protects content because during the broadcast it essentially disables non-secure, analog outputs to avoid illegal circumvention and distribution of copyrighted material.

In its order, the FCC said: “On balance, this limited waiver will provide public interest benefits– making movies widely available for home viewing far earlier than ever before – without imposing harm on any consumers.”

“The first, and best way to view movies will always be in movie theaters – and nothing can replace the pleasure this brings to millions and millions of people all across our country and the globe,” Pisano said. “But for those people unable to make it to the theater and interested in viewing a recently released movie, thanks to the FCC, they will now have a new option. For other consumers who prefer standard, linear, on-demand or DVD or Blu-ray options, these services will be unchanged."
------------------------

What do you guys think? Death of movies theaters?

My take: Fewer movie theaters and the focus will eventually expand to showing non-first run movies with limited showings, along with live events and concert recordings.

I think there is still an appeal to seeing the blockbuster movies and comedies with a crowd. And certainly big-screen 3-D has a lasting appeal. But some of the less mainstream new movies will probably find limited place in theaters. I'd love to see theaters devote a few screens to limited-time showings of classics.

Or even outside of movies, I think technology is allowing a lot more options for live material that theaters can entertain audiences with. Live concerts, sporting events, etc. Who needs film anyway?

Could be a win-win for everyone in the end. There are some pretty shitty movie theaters out there and I don't think it's any great loss if some of them have to shut down because of this. In the end, it gives more options to the consumer, and I would rarely side against that.

So, for once, good job, FCC and MPAA.

Heath Ledger
05-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I say fuck the movie theaters, ive got a projector with 110" hi def screen and surround sound and can have snacks and drinks for less than $5.

I'm disgusted by the greed of not only the movie companies but the theaters as well. Id rather get raped a bit on the movie than paying $8 for a bucket of popcorn that costs them about .15-.20 cents in popcorn kernels. And $5 or $6 for a soda that cost about .30 cents in syrup.

I welcome this change. I hope movie theaters get destroyed by this.

Trainwreck2100
05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I say fuck the movie theaters, ive got a projector with 110" hi def screen and surround sound and can have snacks and drinks for less than $5.

I'm disgusted by the greed of not only the movie companies but the theaters as well. Id rather get raped a bit on the movie than paying $8 for a bucket of popcorn that costs them about .15-.20 cents in popcorn kernels. And $5 or $6 for a soda that cost about .30 cents in syrup.

Theaters have to charge that much cause the studios get 90% of box office profits. But this means that instead of shitty camera feeds to download we'll get awesome rips when the movie comes out. If you do that sort of thing, which i don't

DPG21920
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I am for that. This is capitalism. Not "we have to prop up a certain business model" society. There are always risks that the business model could change and become outdated. I for one would love to be able to watch new releases at home instead of getting murdered at the theater.

I understand somewhat why the movie theaters charge what they do, but that does not mean I like it.

Heath Ledger
05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay explain the continuous inflation of snacks? They are already gouging this year but they will go up next year, and the year after. Pretty soon you will be paying $10 for a large Soda.

They get enough volume of business that they don't need to rape their customers. In fact lowering their prices a bit would ensure that they'd be a hell of a lot busier. There are probably a couple million people boycotting theaters on principle alone.

There was a time when it was .25 cents to see a movie, snacks were also very cheap for the longest time. In the last 10 years or so the prices have gotten out of hand. It will now cost you about $35-$40 if you want to take a date to a movie. In Cali movie ticket prices can be $10-$11 now.

I tend to go to the drive in a lot, because its $7 a person for two first run movies. Snacks are stil a bit pricey but not quite as bad as the movie chains.

I also pass on many movies Id go to to wait until they come out on Dvd or Blu Ray.

CuckingFunt
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
If in the long term it kills movie theaters, then I say boo. Even if I had a mondo home setup, which I don't/won't for a long while, I'm a theater goer at heart. Especially for big movies. Saw Iron Man 2 today in a packed theater with a lively audience and I can't imagine watching something like that for the first time any other way.

I tend to think it will play out closer to the way Spurminator suggested in the OP, though. Big chains will probably thin out, which sucks from a job point of view (our obsession with convenience is going to lead to insane unemployment rates in the near future), but is probably unavoidable even without this move. The theaters that stay open will be more about blockbusters and specialization, and I'm perfectly okay with that. Especially if it means a return to proper art houses or revival theaters. Also love this move in the ability to hopefully watch smaller films when they come out instead of waiting forever for DVD release. It's been a long time since I lived in a big market and it sucks watching the indies either pass me by completely or play locally for only a week.

DPG21920
05-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I can't explain it, but I said I can somewhat see why they charge what they do. They have to make their money on snacks. Ticket prices aren't where the profit comes from if I understand it correctly.

So in order to make up for a struggling economy and to keep them as profitable as they could be, they gouge you on the concessions. They also do it because there is really no alternative to watch new movies. It is an economics thing. People have preset justifications in their mind for how much they will pay for something. A beer is a beer, but when you go to a bar, you are fully willing to pay more for that beer. Same basic principle.

Sure there is a limit, but evidently people still go so that threshold has not been crossed by the majority yet.

MiamiHeat
05-08-2010, 07:49 PM
fucking awesome.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144843&highlight=theater

i will definitely sign up for this.

DPG21920
05-08-2010, 07:50 PM
If in the long term it kills movie theaters, then I say boo. Even if I had a mondo home setup, which I don't/won't for a long while, I'm a theater goer at heart. Especially for big movies. Saw Iron Man 2 today in a packed theater with a lively audience and I can't imagine watching something like that for the first time any other way.

I tend to think it will play out closer to the way Spurminator suggested in the OP, though. Big chains will probably thin out, which sucks from a job point of view (our obsession with convenience is going to lead to insane unemployment rates in the near future), but is probably unavoidable even without this move. The theaters that stay open will be more about blockbusters and specialization, and I'm perfectly okay with that. Especially if it means a return to proper art houses or revival theaters. Also love this move in the ability to hopefully watch smaller films when they come out instead of waiting forever for DVD release. It's been a long time since I lived in a big market and it sucks watching the indies either pass me by completely or play locally for only a week.

I get that, but it is the same thing with restaurants. Restaurant survival rates are so low, but nobody props them up. It is unfortunate when these things happen, but if there is a market desire for them, they will survive.

Heath Ledger
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
A lot of it is due to some of these chains being corporations, they have a duty to their stock holders to increase the value of their shares/dividends, and in a down economy the only way they can do that is by continuously raising prices. This is the downside of capitalism. Consumers will always be screwed because of this. This is why eBay is running itself into the ground. They had a great thing going but the continuously raised their fees over the years and now have pissed off so many people they are leaving eBAy and selling on Amazon which is kicking major ass and or selling on their own websites.

Bender
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
There was a time when it was .25 cents to see a movie...at the Navy base I lived on when I was 10 to 13 years old, the theater showed afternoon movies for .25. I remember that when they went up to .35 while I lived there, I got upset...

Last movie i saw at a theater was avatar 3D. It was about $40 for two tickets, 2 popcorns, 2 sodas.

MannyIsGod
05-09-2010, 12:34 PM
The prices are pretty fucking out of the world right now. 6 bucks for a small popcorn? That is about a quarter's worth of product, IF that.

When I went to go see IM2 yesterday Jess and I spent nearly 40 bucks and all we got were the tickets a hotdog and 2 drinks. I have a good home theater at home, and I LOVE watching movies on it because the sound is good and the video quality was good as well (better than the theater to be honest).

I won't lament the death of the theater. I've gone to see a lot of movies recently and I enjoy it, but I enjoy it just as much at home where I can have a drink and not have to take out a loan for it.

DPG21920
05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. While I never want to see people losing jobs or going out of business, that is the type of society we live in and if it happens naturally because the people want something different, then so be it.

There are no guarantees in business, and like I said, if they want to save themselves, they had better come up with something that makes people want to go to the theater.

Heath Ledger
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I find it hilarious how places continuously raise prices on refreshments year after year even in a horrible economy. I went to Disnelyand and shit myself when I saw a dill pickle for like $4.00 come on its a small cucumber.

Fuck Disney.

JudynTX
05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
These movies aren't going to be free, are they? Probably cost $15 for the transmission, then more fees on top of that. Pass!

DPG21920
05-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Why would they be free? Tickets now cost $7 - $10 at the theater. If you can get it for $15-$20 and two people are watching that is the same price. Then you can cook at home and even have more people splitting the costs.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't get how watching a movie in a theatre with a bunch of people laughing and talking during the movie makes it a better experience. The last movie I saw in a theatre was The Passion of the Christ and I only paid for the ticket only and took in my own snacks and drink.
No way I'm paying $40 to see Avatar. I just borrowed the DVD from my nephew today and will eventually watch it and feel great that I saw it for basically nothing with my own snacks and can pause it an rewind if I need to.

JoeChalupa
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh, and I'm watching The Blind Side today for $1 split 4 ways so that's .25 cents!!!

EmptyMan
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
This is pretty stupid to do, isn't? Wouldn't it make it ridiculously easy to pirate these films on Day 1? No more cam versions for the first month, so I hear.

Who buys snacks at movie theatres and then bitches about it afterward anyways? Eat before or after and sit for 2 hours. It's not that hard. I never get anything and always feel like I am one-upping the movie theater :hat

JoeChalupa
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
This is pretty stupid to do, isn't? Wouldn't it make it ridiculously easy to pirate these films on Day 1? No more cam versions for the first month, so I hear.

Who buys snacks at movie theatres anyways? Eat before or after and sit for 2 hours. It's not that hard.

Aren't movies pirated from day 1 now? If not sooner? On the rare occasion that we do go to the theatre we too eat afterwards if I eat before I have to unbuckle my pants and loosen my belt and that makes other patrons uncomfortable.

Spurminator
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Even as easy as it is for most of us to figure out how to get movies for free on our home theater, the truth is the vast majority of people don't pirate movies because they either don't know how, or they think they'll get in legal trouble. I don't think that will change much moving forward, and given the ease and relative inexpensiveness of streaming movies over your cable system, some pirates may decide it's worth a few bucks to watch a movie the legal way.

exstatic
05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
VHS will kill movie theaters.
Betamax will kill movie theaters.
Laserdisc will kill movie theaters.
DVD will kill movie theaters.
HD-DVD will kill movie theaters.
Blu-ray will kill movie theaters.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
If movie theaters become obsolete, the price for streaming a first-run movie will probably be something like $30-$40, maybe more. The cost of making movies isn't going down, and no way are the producers going to let 5 people watch a first-run flick for $10.

But I agree there is no mandate to maintain a bad business model. Even though we're still waiting for the music industry's corrupt model to collapse.

DPG21920
05-09-2010, 11:04 PM

You do realize the difference in those things you listed and what is being proposed?

DPG21920
05-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I would be hard to price it at $30-40 based on the assumption people will be gathering in large masses to watch the movies. I can see it happening that way, but I don't think it will do well.

Kermit
05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Waitwaitwait...

You guys actually pay for theatre food? Bring that shit in!

exstatic
05-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Waitwaitwait...

I went to a movie with friends today, and we smuggled in candy. Reminds me of an old Steven Wright bit...

"I went to the movie today, and was thrown out for bringing in my own food. My argument was that concession prices are outrageous. Besides, I haven't cooked BBQ in a long time."
:lol

ShoogarBear
05-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I would be hard to price it at $30-40 based on the assumption people will be gathering in large masses to watch the movies. I can see it happening that way, but I don't think it will do well.

How else are movies going to gross $100-200 million? How would Avatar II gross its necessary $1 billion? Like I said, the production costs aren't going down.

CuckingFunt
05-10-2010, 12:14 AM

You forgot one. The development of television was also supposed to kill movie theaters.

And movie theaters themselves were going to kill stage productions.

At which point the movie studios politely tell you to fuck off back to the theaters if you don't want to pay $30+ to legally watch something in your own home. As Shoog suggested, the cost of production isn't going down. Will Smith can't make his $20M+ per picture if people are able to gather a large group in front of their big screen TV and watch a first run movie for ten dollars.

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2010, 12:19 AM
You forgot one. The development of television was also supposed to kill movie theaters.

And movie theaters themselves were going to kill stage productions.

actually that was tyler perry

ShoogarBear
05-10-2010, 12:22 AM

The difference is that in none of these instances were the movie companies themselves actively trying to kill the theaters.

Allegedly they will be now.

Me, there's no way I want to see Iron Man 2 for the first time anyplace but at the big ol' Bijoux.

CuckingFunt
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
The difference is that in none of these instances were the movie companies themselves actively trying to kill the theaters.

Allegedly they will be now.

I think if anything they're trying to kill, or at least slow, piracy by providing an option to the people who download pirated flicks due to convenience rather than an intentional desire to steal. If there are more people out there like me -- the only times I've ever been even remotely tempted to illegally download films has been when smaller pictures didn't make it to theaters near me -- it actually may not be a bad idea.

Me, there's no way I want to see Iron Man 2 for the first time anyplace but at the big ol' Bijoux.

Same here. And I don't think you and I are unique in that regard, which is why I don't predict that this or any other alternative option is going to completely kill the theaters. As long as people go on dates, there will be an audience.

EricB
05-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Personally I like going out to a theatre on a summer day and doing movie marathons. See. One go to lunch see two more go to dinner see two more call it a night.

Plus you can only spend so much freaking time at home before you go fucking nuts....

eyeh8u
05-10-2010, 12:54 AM
this is bad new guys, the amount of supervillians is gonna quadruple if the movie theaters go out of business, every other abandoned movie theater is going to have a super villian reside in it.

ShoogarBear
05-10-2010, 12:58 AM
this is bad new guys, the amount of supervillians is gonna quadruple if the movie theaters go out of business, every other abandoned movie theater is going to have a super villian reside in it.

I'm not even sure this made sense, but I lol'd.

JudynTX
05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Waitwaitwait...

:lol :lol I sneak food in, pfffft.

easjer
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
:lol :lol I sneak food in, pfffft.

That's what the big purse is for.

Seriously - the theatre we go to is up to $8 per person for the early shows. No way I'm paying an additional $20 for popcorn, snacks, drink.

We stop at the WalMart next door, get the candy for $2, and maybe buy a soda or popcorn there to split. No one asks to see your purse if you buy the soda. Though I always request no ice (because I don't want a 20 oz cup of ice for $4.50, thanks), and get a dirty look.

AmericanWoman
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM

With a cooler compartment for drinks. :tu

Mixability
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm with Heath on this one. I got a projector/surround sound setup at home that blows away the blurry screen and popping speakers at some of the better theatres around town. Add in the cost of concessions and I say to hell with them. Maybe if I wanted to experience a blockbuster in 3D or make it a 'social' type of thing, I couldn't see myself EVER preferring a theatre over my own theatre room.

There are movies that I haven't seen that I would probably stream if it was available now. But since it isn't, I usually wait for them to come out for rent and then how much of my monthly subscription do they get? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat. I could see myself having a bunch of people over and streaming Toy Story 3. The pricing would be the thing though..... would I be willing to shell out an impulse $20-$40 to show a first run? Maybe, depending on the movie....

JudynTX
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Seriously - the theatre we go to is up to $8 per person for the early shows. No way I'm paying an additional $20 for popcorn, snacks, drink.

We stop at the WalMart next door, get the candy for $2, and maybe buy a soda or popcorn there to split. No one asks to see your purse if you buy the soda. Though I always request no ice (because I don't want a 20 oz cup of ice for $4.50, thanks), and get a dirty look.

My sister made hot dogs one time. OMG...she had all the condiments too. :lmao All you heard was the aluminum foil. :lol

rjv
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

ultimately it will just be the cheap movies that are made available. it would not be cheap either. probably about 20.00 a pop or you would have to get a monthly service. and what would the cable providers have to pay as well?

phyzik
05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I could see the charge easily being the price of current PPV events... $44.95.... but no more than that.

I dont see this effecting theatres to the point where they start shutting down, but $44.95 is an enticing price if you have more than 4 people wanting to watch a new release.

rjv
05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I could see the charge easily being the price of current PPV events... $44.95.... but no more than that.

I dont see this effecting theatres to the point where they start shutting down, but $44.95 is an enticing price if you have more than 4 people wanting to watch a new release.

that is very possible. the thing is that the studios will probably only do this for non blockbuster releases.

FatBeaner
05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
half (or more?) of the good quality illegal downloads are screeners from the studios themselves...:lol

Blake
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
the good theaters will adapt and survive. They always do.

Setting up full service bars and restaurants where you can hang out before or after the movie is a good start.

They are also starting to add the tremble seats to help give movies a more realistic feel.

CheapBastard
05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
When I go to the movies I'm ready.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.walletpop.com/blog/media/2009/12/rodereick1.jpg

exstatic
05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
When I go to the movies I'm ready.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.walletpop.com/blog/media/2009/12/rodereick1.jpg

:lmao Joe Chalupa finally busts out a troll.

eyeh8u
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not even sure this made sense, but I lol'd.

sure it does every cartoon i saw as a kid the villain's hideout was in an abandoned theater, joker, two face, the riddler, all of them .

ShoogarBear
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
See, I'm old school, where the villain was always in some building with a tilted floor.

http://www.3dcognition.com/anim_DutchAngle.jpg

eyeh8u
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
See, I'm old school, where the villain was always in some building with a tilted floor.

http://www.3dcognition.com/anim_DutchAngle.jpg

yeah you are old that shit went out with studio 54