PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Ginobili rediscovers shooting touch alongside Parker

Blackjack
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Ginobili rediscovers shooting touch alongside Parker
by Andrew A. McNeil

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ginobili.jpg

AT&T CENTER – For all that went so horribly, horribly wrong for the Spurs with their 110-96 loss to the Phoenix Suns in Game 3, there was one small victory. With the reinsertion of Tony Parker to the starting lineup for George Hill, Manu Ginobili was able to rediscover his shot.

Ginobili scored 27 points against the Suns on Friday night, starting alongside Parker. Manu shot 10-17 from the field and 4-9 from the 3-point line. Entering Game 3, Ginobili was shooting to the tune of 27-77 from the field, a slump-worthy 35%, since breaking his nose in the Spurs’ first round series against the Dallas Mavericks.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/08/manu-ginobili-rediscovers-shooting-touch/#more-8182)

Episode 6 of the 48MoH Podcast: Spurs-Suns (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/08/spurs-episode-6-of-the-48moh-podcast-spurs-suns/#more-8192)

carina_gino20
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Ginobili rediscovers shooting touch alongside Parker
by Andrew A. McNeil

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ginobili.jpg

AT&T CENTER – For all that went so horribly, horribly wrong for the Spurs with their 110-96 loss to the Phoenix Suns in Game 3, there was one small victory. With the reinsertion of Tony Parker to the starting lineup for George Hill, Manu Ginobili was able to rediscover his shot.

Ginobili scored 27 points against the Suns on Friday night, starting alongside Parker. Manu shot 10-17 from the field and 4-9 from the 3-point line. Entering Game 3, Ginobili was shooting to the tune of 27-77 from the field, a slump-worthy 35%, since breaking his nose in the Spurs’ first round series against the Dallas Mavericks.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/08/manu-ginobili-rediscovers-shooting-touch/#more-8182)

Episode 6 of the 48MoH Podcast: Spurs-Suns (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/08/spurs-episode-6-of-the-48moh-podcast-spurs-suns/#more-8192)

Interesting. Are those numbers based on last night's game and based on when Manu was in the floor with Tony? Because correlation can't be established by just one game, and even correlation is not enough to determine a causation. Not to take away anything from Tony, but we know Manu is a streaky shooter so I don't know how much of it is due to playing off-the-ball because he's playing with Tony and how much is due to the layer just getting hot.

Or are those stats taken from regular season to playoffs when Manu is playing with Tony?

Blackjack
05-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Interesting. Are those numbers based on last night's game and based on when Manu was in the floor with Tony? Because correlation can't be established by just one game, and even correlation is not enough to determine a causation. Not to take away anything from Tony, but we know Manu is a streaky shooter so I don't know how much of it is due to playing off-the-ball because he's playing with Tony and how much is due to the layer just getting hot.

Or are those stats taken from regular season to playoffs when Manu is playing with Tony?

On the season, Ginobili’s numbers in situations where he’s the main distributor are less than situations when he’s playing off the ball:

I will concede that there is some definite grey area here. Manu spends most of his time in either pick-and-roll ball handler, isolation or spot-up situations, which means there’s a smaller sample size in other areas.

There's definitely some merit to it. Playing the point is a taxing job and when you're the type of improvisational playmaker Manu is, and you're constantly trying to create rather than execute the way Tony does, it stands to reason your offense could take a hit (whereas playing off the ball allows you to concentrate on finishing or getting into position to score more often).

And even if you don't buy into that, there's still that giant elephant in the room (no, not this one :elephant): age -- it's a hell of a lot to ask a player of his age, that plays the way he does, to shoulder that kind of responsibility, not to mention for the amount of time he had to shoulder it because of Tony's injury. At some point, it was bound to catch up and, at a minimum, taper his effectiveness and efficiency.

I'm not sure the numbers are any kind of revelation, it's probably just confirmation of the obvious: basketball's easier when you don't have to work as hard.

carina_gino20
05-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks, I missed that part.

I'm not sure the numbers are any kind of revelation, it's probably just confirmation of the obvious: basketball's easier when you don't have to work as hard.

I hope Hill improves on his playmaking and decision-making abilities next season. At times, during the playoffs, he looked pretty clueless and I'd cringe when he gets the ball and tries to orchestrate a play. If he can work on this, then Manu wouldn't have to work so hard when they're both on the floor.

Slippy
05-09-2010, 05:17 AM
I gotta ask does Hill have playmaking or adequate passing ability cause i've pretty much missed it. There's been many moments where i thought Hill just needs to make that pass in transition or p''n'r but ends up taking the cautious approach by pulling it back.

It's clear as day . Tony does a better job of setting up Manu.

carina_gino20
05-09-2010, 08:19 AM
I gotta ask does Hill have playmaking or adequate passing ability cause i've pretty much missed it. There's been many moments where i thought Hill just needs to make that pass in transition or p''n'r but ends up taking the cautious approach by pulling it back.

It's clear as day . Tony does a better job of setting up Manu.

To be honest, I've never seen enough of the regular season to compare his playmaking now to what it was a year ago. But Hill is really a shooting guard at heart so that could explain why he doesn't look comfortable orchestrating plays sometimes, especially in pressure situations (at least from what I've seen in the playoffs).

Josepatches_
05-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Well,last month we saw the best Manu,the best Manu of the last 5 years (maybe of his career) when Parker was out.So then Manu shoots better with Tony but Manu plays better without him.

Garbage.The fact is Manu was shooting worse since he broke his nose.It wasn't Parker or Hill