PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo Slice released from the UFC :(

Stringer_Bell
05-09-2010, 01:39 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/389714-kimbo-slice-and-paul-daley-released-by-ufc

Slice's release comes after getting knocked down to the mat and being punished with knees and punches in the second round of his fight with former Ultimate Fighter cast mate Matt Mitrione.

I don't agree with this cut, almost as much as I didn't agree with the Paul Buentello cut. When a guy goes in and does his best to bang, he's fighting as requested on his contract. It's an exciting fight that people will pay for AND/OR eventually thankful they paid for when other fights are boring.

Surely, there was a chance of dropping Kimbo to LHW where his knees might be better served against some strikers. Too bad it's the season to cut brawlers! :(

redzero
05-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Kimbo is so fucking overrated. He fought bums on the streets and then expected to beat prize fighters?

djohn14
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I know what your saying but the dude sucks

dbreiden83080
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised.. I thought Kimbo fought hard last night and the UFC was gonna give him maybe a few more chances.. They just love to cut people like crazy sometimes..

MannyIsGod
05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
He was out of gas 2 minutes into the 1st. You knew the best had come and gone with Kimbo.

Blackjack
05-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Kimbo's UFC run is done (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Kimbo-s-run-in-the-UFC-is-over-White-cuts-him?urn=mma,239667)
By Steve Cofield

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mma_experts__19/ept_sports_mma_experts-918738618-1273387603.jpg?ymT5.GDDFeWK6yQL

UFC president Dana White laid down the challenge to Internet phenom Kimbo Slice and the street fighter accepted it. Kimbo made it through his stint on Season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter" and got two more fights with the promotion.

Slice went 1-1 in the UFC after the reality show, including a bad loss tonight at UFC 113 against Matt Mitrione. The fight was so one-sided, the UFC president decided to give Kimbo his pink slip.

"That's probably Kimbo's last fight in the UFC," said White. "Listen, Kimbo made it farther than I thought he would."

When Slice was the centerpiece of CBS' EliteXC promotion, his status drove White nuts. He slammed and badmouthed Kimbo, saying the only way he'd make it to the UFC was to take part in the UFC's prospect show on Spike. That was a bitter pill to swallow for a guy who had earned between $250,000-$500,000 in each of three EliteXC fights.

"I didn't know Kimbo, I just knew what I saw," White said of his previous pro MMA fights and his work on YouTube. "The first time I ever met him I said, 'This is going to be an interesting meeting with the [expletive] I've said about him over the years.' "

Slice and his handlers were not combative. They just wanted the fighter to get a chance at legitimacy.

"He came in. He couldn't be a nicer guy. He took things serious, trained and went after it," said White. "His first fight wasn't the YouTube fights you saw. He won that fight [against Houston Alexander on the TUF 10 finale]. He deserved another fight in the UFC and he lost. Got nothing but respect for Kimbo and I like him as a person. And I think he's carried himself really well."
When asked about the "probably" in his original Kimbo quote, White then said definitively that Slice was gone.

BlackSwordsMan
05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
good who cares he sucks

dbreiden83080
05-09-2010, 02:14 PM
SF is probably gonna pick him up..

He's still a draw..

djohn14
05-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Agreed

angelbelow
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Boring

dbreiden83080
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
When you look at how serious Kimbo has taken this i am surprised he was cut by the UFC after this fight. He has been training at American Top Team since the show. I saw that Ricardo Liborio who trains Thiago Alves was cornering him last night. I thought he fought well in round 1 but yes ran out of gas very fast.

Not sure what his UFC deal was, on the back end maybe they thought he was too expensive.

But i thought he'd get one more fight for sure..

desflood
05-10-2010, 06:43 AM
No big loss.

DBryant88
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Kimbo's UFC run is done (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Kimbo-s-run-in-the-UFC-is-over-White-cuts-him?urn=mma,239667)

When Slice was the centerpiece of CBS' EliteXC promotion, his status drove White nuts. He slammed and badmouthed Kimbo, saying the only way he'd make it to the UFC was to take part in the UFC's prospect show on Spike. That was a bitter pill to swallow for a guy who had earned between $250,000-$500,000 in each of three EliteXC fights.

he earned that much after his loss to Petruzelli? they should've put some of that money towards keeping the show afolat

IX_Equilibrium
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
It's a great decision being that Kimbo never belonged in the UFC to begin with. Dana didn't want to ignore the fact that many people are so enamored with Kimbo (something that I never understood). So he gave Kimbo a shot the for the potential that UFC could attract more fans. But after getting schooled by a guy who was a whopping 1-0, you can't expect any educated fan of MMA to take Kimbo seriously (if they ever did to begin with).

scottspurs
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Kimbo in the UFC was a joke from the get go and Dana White was right along about Slice being a nobody who beat up drunk drugged up hobos.

lebomb
05-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Kimbo in the UFC was a joke from the get go and Dana White was right along about Slice being a nobody who beat up drunk drugged up hobos.

True, but when Kimbo faught that one cop (former MMA guy) on youtube, he did pretty good. Lost, but held his own and busted that guy up. I just think two things happened. Kimbo lost TOO much weight. He used to streetfight at about 250-260 lbs. He only weighed 225 saturday night. #2, he started taking martial arts and MMA too late in life. Many of his opponents had a decade of two head start. Oh well, back to street fighting I guess.............. :ihit