PDA

View Full Version : Spurs don't play spurs ball anymore... Magic do.

stéphane
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm a spurs fan so whatever happens I'll be a spurs fan forever but fact is I miss us playing (whether it be winning or losing) spurs ball.
Maybe for some of us, defense is not as sexy as a high octane offense but a team is made when they're able to be united and to support each other while making stops.
Sure at times the four down, the high pick'n pop or the slash and kick was becoming a bit redundant and somewhat predictable but I sure enjoyed the ability to execute plays we were able to display.
All this was possible thanks to a couple simple things. A player commanding double teams on the low block. A couple slashers with some creativity and role players with enough shooting touch to space the floor.
Some will argue that we're trying to adapt our style to the others and to the personnel we have. That's true and that's the root of the problem. Being a GM is quite hard I reckon but as appealing as the RJ trade was (athletic and stuff) he's not a defender and he can't shoot the three so...what's the point?
The way we dealt our problems in the past offseason was more a kneejerk than anything else. Yeah we suffered a severe beatdown against the Mavs. But what was the reason? Manu was in a suit and the roleplayers were mmm well MIA let's say (litteraly for Georges). So what do you do to remain competitive?
Either you don't think Manu will ever be back 100% and you deal him with a couple role players to find somewhat the same profile or you think he can be himself and you surround our big 3 with enough capable role players. The FO choose none of these. Instead they did pick up an athletic wing with suspicious D at best and whose main strengths are his ability to play on the open court or on an isolation. Alrighhhhhhht... these are definitely what we (or any team playing slow pace ball) needed...

On the other hand you have the Magic that exactly play the way we used to. Team D with a dominant big, a couple slashers and role players that can shoot the 3. With the Lewis signing, they've at best raised eyebrows considering the bill. But they hit the nail with this one. A long 3 who can rebound, post up, be a small ball 4, and shoot the 3... that's not a profile you see that often. They've been blessed with Howard for sure but they had the smart to surround him with the appropriate pieces...to play spurs ball.

Cane
05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Tim Duncan's been playing like Dwight Howard when it comes to free throws, thats for sure...

TampaDude
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Tim Duncan's been playing like Dwight Howard when it comes to free throws, thats for sure...

Shit...Howard has been shooting better from the stripe than Duncan. :lol

TJastal
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
One of the differences between the magic and spurs is Van Gundy has developed a solid 10 man rotation and has stuck with it (for the most part). The only thing SVG dabbled with was using Pietrus as a starter (quickly changed his mind on that one) and Brandon Bass as a rotational player but ultimately decided Anderson was better. So Van Gundy had his starting lineup figured out and etched in stone well before the all-star break and bench rotations figured out soon after that. Basically he did what every good coach should do in order to maximize success.

Compare this with Popovich who has played around with lineups, rotations and minutes all the way to the end of the year. Granted he had inferior talent (and injuries) to choose from but even putting that aside, there was way too much dicking around IMO and that had a defenite negative impact on all the bench/role players.

Take the case of Garrett Temple. I still can't figure out the point of signing this guy for the last month of the season (when its absolutely critical to establish a playoff rotation) work him into the rotation so the team is used to him only to drop him at the last second and bring back a rusty Bogans/Mason to start to the playoffs. Is it any surprise that failed miserably? I'm just not buying that the failure is all because of the players not stepping up, their failure has to be held accountable to the coaching staff as well.

boutons_deux
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Tim's and other Spurs' (mental) failure at the FT line these playoffs characterizes the mental failure of the entire team right now. They aren't tough, not focused, not intense, don't want it bad enough. Just another basketball game that happens to fall in the playoffs.

Yeah, the talent isn't there when losers and playoff chokers like Bonner, Bogans, Mason, RJ are in the rotation, but Spurs could be doing a lot better. Maybe Tim, Tony, Manu, Pop know, unconsciously, that this year's lineup is a hopeless project.