PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson: "We could care less if they show up"

djohn2oo8
05-09-2010, 11:13 AM
If Joe Johnson’s tenure with the Hawks really is near the end, the final chapter could get ugly.

Fans directed some of their boos at Johnson in particular during the Hawks’ 105-75 loss to the Magic on Saturday. He struggled to finish with eight points on 3-of-15 shooting and afterward expressed indifference to fans’ displeasure.

“That doesn’t bother me, and I hope it doesn’t bother anyone in this locker room,” Johnson said. “It’s about us in this locker room. We could care less if [fans] showed up.”

Johnson, the Hawks’ leading scorer and a four-time All-Star, can become a free agent this summer. He has faded during the playoffs, especially in the past six games.

Over that stretch, which includes three games against Milwaukee, Johnson made 30 of 96 shots and averaged 11.5 points. The Hawks lost four of those six games.

Johnson missed his first five shots Saturday and didn’t score until 6:30 before halftime.

“It’s terrible to have a performance like that, especially individuals, [including] myself,” Johnson said. “These guys look to me for guidance, and when you are playing like that, it is almost impossible for us to win. I take a lot of heat for this, a lot of criticism.”

Johnson said he had no explanation for his struggles in the playoffs. He said he feels fine physically.

Hawks ownership has said it wants to re-sign Johnson, though co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. has said the team would “react” once Johnson tests the market. The team’s and Johnson’s performance in the playoffs both figure to factor heavily into those evaluations.

Johnson said he’s not sure what this postseason will mean for his future.

“I have no idea,” he said. “When July comes, we will figure that out.”

Woodson presses on

Hawks ownership still hasn’t indicated it will offer a new contract to Woodson, whose two-year deal expires after the season. He said he has taken the situation in stride.

“It’s nothing new,” Woodson said before Game 3. “I’ve been through this before a few years ago. It is what it is. I’m still under contract until the end of June, and I’ve still got work to do.”

The Hawks have improved their record in each of six seasons under Woodson, including a 53-29 mark this season. Gearon has said he expects the team to advance far in playoffs.

“I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else, but it is what it is,” Woodson said. “I am sure we will sit down at the end of the season and talk about a contract. I’ve got a two-year deal, and I’ve proudly honored it.

“We’ve had a wonderful season. There are a lot of teams still watching us. We control our own destiny with these next two games at home.”

Nothing personal

Magic center Dwight Howard and Hawks forward Josh Smith, friends since childhood, have had some tussles during this series. In the most notable incident, Howard caught Smith in the face with an elbow during Game 2.

Smith said the roughhousing wouldn’t affect their friendship.

“We’re not out there on the court to be friends,” Smith said. “We both understand that. We know what’s at stake. We are not going to take it lightly on each other on the court. Off the court, it is different.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-on-unhappy-fans-522943.html?printArticle=y

Worth max money? I think not, dude is a good second or third option

lurker
05-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Good to know they care.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Come back to Phoenix JJ!

milkshakeballa
05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
FFS - they are the reason you are getting that huge check joe

what an ass

i hope they boo his ass of the fukin court

fukin choker

djohn2oo8
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
FFS - they are the reason you are getting that huge check joe

what an ass

i hope they boo his ass of the fukin court

fukin choker

agree, I always thought the dude was overrated, but I at least had some respect for him. But after reading those comments, dude is just another overpaid scrub

pauls931
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Pretty much frustration speaking and momentarily forgetting who keeps him from having to flip burgers for a living.

Leetonidas
05-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah but I mean he's getting booed by his own fans. I don't think that faggot Bonner has ever been booed at home so I don't think Johnson deserves it. Their team wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him.

milkshakeballa
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah but I mean he's getting booed by his own fans. I don't think that faggot Bonner has ever been booed at home so I don't think Johnson deserves it. Their team wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him.

big fucking deal

dude is a prick

ginobili's bald spot
05-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Oh you don't care if fans show up? Don't forget why you get paid millions of dollars to play a game you ungrateful bitch. I'm sure you don't care about your mansions and bentleys and shit. Riiight. The way the Hawks have been playing and the effort they have been giving you deserved to get booed. Man the fuck up.

djohn2oo8
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM

The lack of effort they have been playing with, they deserve to get booed

The Franchise
05-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Come back to Phoenix JJ!

Would you really want him for close to max?

My Fault
05-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh you don't care if fans show up? Don't forget why you get paid millions of dollars to play a game you ungrateful bitch. I'm sure you don't care about your mansions and bentleys and shit. Riiight. The way the Hawks have been playing and the effort they have been giving you deserved to get booed. Man the fuck up.
Oh shit I just watched the vid in your sig. Crazy Luva would put himself out there like that.

pauls931
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Would he be able to deal with being Dragic's backup?

TampaDude
05-09-2010, 12:16 PM
That's okay...he'll only get booed one more time this season. :lol

Man About Town
05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Atlanta has a large transplant population and the sports teams notoriously don't draw there (The Braves have trouble selling out home playoff games). And as for the native population, since they've only had pro sports teams since the sixties, you don't have the deeply ingrained team loyalties that parents pass down to their kids in East Coast cities.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM

I was mostly joking since I don't think there's any way that can happen, but yeah I'd take him for close to the max. My pipe dream is still Melo signing with them in 2011 when they actually will have a good amount of cap room, but they're still a stud SF or SG who can close games away from contending.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM

And he wouldn't have a $70,000,000 5 year contract if it wasn't for the fans. I think this was mostly a reactionary, impulsive comment from a frustrated player, but there's no way you can excuse what he said.

DPG21920
05-09-2010, 12:23 PM
This was about as bad as it could go for sweet Joe. I am sure lots of teams are salivating at the thought of Joe driving down his price some. It will be interesting if this playoff run and comment will have any effect on how much Joe garners in FA.

SpursDynasty
05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Joe Johnson is pretty much worthless. He's not an All-Star. This Atlanta team is the worst playoff team in history. Losing by 43 and 30 in the same series? Dumbasses. Milwaukee would have been better competition for Orlando than this shit team.

DAF86
05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I was mostly joking since I don't think there's any way that can happen, but yeah I'd take him for close to the max. My pipe dream is still Melo signing with them in 2011 when they actually will have a good amount of cap room, but they're still a stud SF or SG who can close games away from contending.

And where does Johnson fit in this description?

SASPURS09
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Johnson probly dropped about 50 million the last 2 weeks

redzero
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Whew. At least Joe cares. It would be really bad if he couldn't care less.

ducks
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Would he be able to deal with being Dragic's backup?

joe great ther drragic

Red Hawk #21
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Fuck, things are looking terrible...

ffadicted
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Johnson and Bosh to NY lol

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Remember, the sub Joe johnson with Kobe on a team with Odom , Pau and Phil coaching = a championship crap being spewed on here? yeah, right!

dickface
05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
This has been a season long point of frustration for everybody on the Hawks. The fans in Atlanta are about as indifferent of sports fans as there are in the world. They truly don't give a shit about their teams. The Atlanta Braves had Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz and one of the best baseball teams around for over a decade and the fans couldn't sell out playoff games. Atlanta sports fans are terrible.

The Hawks have had apathy from the fans all season and many of them have commented about how it frustrates them considering how well they're playing. I think JJ blew up on the fans because they didn't give a shit all year until the playoffs, and suddenly they finally care enough to boo him and that's it.

ChrisRichards
05-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Someone will overpay Joe Johnson. I think people will be surprised with the staggering amount this guy will get.

Sisk
05-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Someone will overpay Joe Johnson. I think people will be surprised with the staggering amount this guy will get.

I definitely thought that before the playoffs but you still think so after this trash performance both physically and mentally?

I'd say he's lost at least a few million dollars off of his stock

Cane
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
He'll still get one hell of a contract. There are several teams with $$ and not enough talent to go around imo. After Wade and Lebron make their decisions he's the next best perimeter player. The other names after that are Rudy Gay if Memphis doesn't match and possibly Ray Allen if Boston parts ways with him.

Also the Atlanta Hawks are just a terrible team including the coach and are facing a huge mismatch in Orlando. Their chemistry is horrible and they make Denver look mentally tough. Those Atlanta clowns don't even pay attention to what their coach is drawing up or saying during timeouts.

pauls931
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Joe Johnson/ Parker swap?

ChrisRichards
05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I definitely thought that before the playoffs but you still think so after this trash performance both physically and mentally?

I'd say he's lost at least a few million dollars off of his stock
Lost a few mil sure, but he's still getting at least $13-15 mil a year with great incentives.

Sisk
05-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Lost a few mil sure, but he's still getting at least $13-15 mil a year with great incentives.

i'll agree

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
some stupid team is going to give him max anyway, this guys from day 1 is overrated...