PDA

View Full Version : CroflBama blames the political mess on Ipads, Interwebs and Xboxes!!!

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era
(AFP) – 3 hours ago
HAMPTON, Virginia — US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.
Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.
"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.
"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.
He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.
"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."
Obama, who uses the handful of Commencement addresses that he delivers each year to meditate on societal developments broader than the minutiae of everyday politics, warned the world was at a moment of "breathtaking change."
"We can't stop these changes... but we can adapt to them," Obama said, adding that US workers were in a battle with well-educated foreign workers.
"Education... can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time," he said.
Hampton University is a historically black college, and Obama noted the huge disparity in educational achievement between African Americans and other racial groups in the United States and the world.
But he urged the graduates to take inspiration from the example of Dorothy Height, a civil and women's rights icon who died, aged 98, last month, who fought racial prejudice to secure a college education.
"A black woman, in 1929, refusing to be denied her dream of a college education," Obama said, reprising Height's life story.
"Refusing to be denied her rights, refusing to be denied her dignity, refusing to be denied... her piece of America's promise."
Obama argued that from the days of the pioneer politicians who founded the United States, until the modern day, education and knowledge had been the key to progress and US democracy.
He drew a line between Thomas Jefferson, the principal author of the Declaration of Independence, and today's challenges.
"What Jefferson recognized... that in the long run, their improbable experiment -- called America -- wouldn't work if its citizens were uninformed, if its citizens were apathetic, if its citizens checked out, and left democracy to those who didn't have the best interests of all the people at heart.
"It could only work if each of us stayed informed and engaged, if we held our government accountable, if we fulfilled the obligations of citizenship."
Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

Teh Republicans, Ipads, Teabaggers and teh xbox machines are ruining america!!
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
That's not what he said

And he makes an arguable point

He is kinda like Jimmy telling americans they waste too much electricity at a time when noone was mature enough to handle the cold hard truth.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
That's not what he said

And he makes an arguable point

He is kinda like Jimmy telling americans they waste too much electricity at a time when noone was mature enough to handle the cold hard truth.

SO while he has; Rahm Emmanuel on staff, made campaign advertisements making fun of McCain's age, had Hope 'N Change Inc, told the opposition party he doesn't care to cooperate because he's the WON, through all that he's blaming the political landscape on the Xbox???

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
dude! he like said Emancipation. That's powerful stuff.

MiamiHeat
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
so does this mean the government is going into home entertainment?

Will a new law state that I will be forced to buy a government approved and run XBOX from now on?

admiralsnackbar
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Wow... people are desperate to throw shit at Obama when they need to reduce a point about the decentralization of media and proliferation of outlets for un-verified (at best) and outright fictional (at worst) information to a complaint about the kids and their new-fangled videogame doo-hickeys.

MiamiHeat
05-09-2010, 02:40 PM
the decentralization of media and proliferation of outlets

The internet, and all things associated, that caused the "decentralization of media and proliferation of outlets" is the greatest thing to happen to America in a long time.

It will save this Republic.

EmptyMan
05-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Hitler would have had a much harder time if he had to combat the free flow of information via the internet.

Godwin law you say? You only know about that law because of....

The Internet.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/mountaineer4/gladje4.gif

admiralsnackbar
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
The internet, and all things associated, that caused the "decentralization of media and proliferation of outlets" is the greatest thing to happen to America in a long time.

It will save this Republic.

I wish I shared your optimism. For every truthful utterance on the internet, there are 10 absurd fantasies, and with the enormous volume of information deluging us every day, we scarcely have time to verify what we read. The internet is marvelous, but it also allows opinion to pass as fact, and that is dangerous.

MiamiHeat
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I wish I shared your optimism. For every truthful utterance on the internet, there are 10 absurd fantasies, and with the enormous volume of information deluging us every day, we scarcely have time to verify what we read. The internet is marvelous, but it also allows opinion to pass as fact, and that is dangerous.

That can't be challenged, what you say is true

but it's all perspective IMO

I see it as a good thing. Jog your brains, teach you the hard way to discern what is wrong and what is right on your own, to learn to double check shit for yourself, etc.

A population that has the world's history of wisdom and knowledge at it's desktop + bombarded with "news" all the time, is sure to create a well informed, wiser population. It just works itself out. There will never be a shortage of grammar nazi's and fact checkers on the internet.

Give the truth a platform, and it's voice will be the loudest, every single time.

MiamiHeat
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
also

anyone else think it's ironic that Obama is annoyed by the very thing that funded his campaign and drove him to the white house?

Obama is literally the spearhead of the next breed of politician.

boutons_deux
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
"CroflBama blames the political mess on Ipads, Interwebs and Xboxes"

that's not what Magic Negro said, but keep up the ankle-biting trivial bullshit spew, which is the right-wing/Repug/conservative bad-faith strategy to confuse and lie about all the major problems facing American today, the "mess", rather than participate in a good-faith, adult effort to work on solutions.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
oh so he's not blaming it on the ipads, interwebs, and xbox. But he's blaming it on spending too much time on ipads, interwebs, and xbox.

Nuance.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:11 PM

It will save this Republic.It already has. They found the Kenyan birth certificate!

Several of them!

admiralsnackbar
05-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Give the truth a platform, and it's voice will be the loudest, every single time.

That's a nice sentiment, but your argument depends on people ACTUALLY wanting to unearth the truth as opposed to finding a "truth" that confirms their own beliefs and prejudices. How many people do you know who are content to just watch Fox or MSNBC as opposed to looking for news all over? I know lots.

Since nazis have already been invoked twice in this thread, I may as well say the people's voice failed in Hitler's Germany. And even with the benefit of the internet, we weren't able to see past the bullshit smokescreen Bush laid on us in the lead-up to Iraq. What I have noticed since the internet's rise to primacy are an endless supply of conspiracy theories that vastly outnumber anything I've ever seen in my life, and conspiracy theories drive people to stupid actions.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
That's a nice sentiment, but your argument depends on people ACTUALLY wanting to unearth the truth as opposed to finding a "truth" that confirms their own beliefs and prejudices.

Since nazis have already been invoked twice in this thread, I may as well say the people's voice failed in Hitler's Germany. And even with the benefit of the internet, we weren't able to see past the bullshit smokescreen Bush laid on us in the lead-up to Iraq. What I have noticed since the internet's rise to primacy are an endless supply of conspiracy theories that vastly outnumber anything I've ever seen in my life, and conspiracy theories drive people to stupid actions.

Conspiracy theories never thrived under bush and 911.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
It already has. They found the Kenyan birth certificate!

Several of them!

Instead they should have been faking documents on Bush's National Guard service gosh darn it!

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
So as Gore would say, the science has settled.

Obama's shit ideas <<<<< Call of Duty & Facebook.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Instead they should have been faking documents on Bush's National Guard service gosh darn it!Exactly.

Thanks for proving my point.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Exactly.

Thanks for proving my point.

I agree, traditional News like CBS is just a bad a culprit as the interwebs. :toast

admiralsnackbar
05-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Conspiracy theories never thrived under bush and 911.

Of course they did... that's exactly what I'm arguing.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Of course they did... that's exactly what I'm arguing.

Don't you wish it was back to the good ol' days when the NYT, Washington Post and Dan Rather had all the power?

ChumpDumper
I agree, traditional News like CBS is just a bad a culprit as the interwebs. :toastSo you also agree Fox News is as well.

Thanks. :toast

Ignignokt
Shit. Centralized Govt want Centralized News. No surprises here.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
So you also agree Fox News is as well.

So you also agree Huffington Post as well.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:23 PM
If people would stop playing Splinter Cell and start watching Obama on Leno, this country would have been better off.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:23 PM
So you also agree Huffington Post as well.

Thanks. :toastYep. All of it if it is unsubstantiated tripe.

Folks are left more on their own these days to figure out what is right. Most don't bother.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Yep. All of it if it is unsubstantiated tripe.

Folks are left more on their own these days to figure out what is right. Most don't bother.

How was that different from the past, since you agreed that Traditional News was shit too?

admiralsnackbar
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Don't you wish it was back to the good ol' days when the NYT, Washington Post and Dan Rather had all the power?

As far as national political stability goes, yes. As far as truth/justice goes, no.

The internet is kinda like Morpheus' red pill in The Matrix: the end of passive, non-critical comfort. Sometimes I feel like Joey Pants in that movie... just want to go back to believing the bullshit and thinking everything is ok again.

Edit+++++++++

Which, come to think of it, is actually pretty scary since I expect the Germans of the Weimar Republic felt about the same.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:26 PM
How was that different from the past, since you agreed that Traditional News was shit too?I gave you a qualifier. See if you can find out what it is.

MiamiHeat
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
coming up next

stay tuned for Obama's new censorship laws !

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I gave you a qualifier. See if you can find out what it is.

I'll let it be your secret.:toast

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I'll let it be your secret.:toastIt's no secret. You just missed it or didn't understand it. You quoted it.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
It's no secret. You just missed it or didn't understand it. You quoted it.

I know i did, you should go look for that qoute.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I know i did, you should go look for that qoute.I already know what it says.

You don't.

Go ahead and look. It's on this page.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I already know what it says.

You don't.

Go ahead and look. It's on this page.

You could look for me. It's on this page afterall.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:40 PM
You could look for me. It's on this page afterall.You could look for yourself. It's on this page after all.

If you are unable to do it, all you have to do is say so.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
You could look for yourself. It's on this page after all.

If you are unable to do it, all you have to do is say so.

I have qualifiers too. you should look for those on the last page.

If you are unable to do so, just say so.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I have qualifiers too. you should look for those on the last page.

If you are unable to do so, just say so.But I didn't miss or misunderstand them as you did mine, so there is no reason for me to review them.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
But I didn't miss or misunderstand them as you did mine, so there is no reason for me to review them.

You should point them out, if you claim to have understood them.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 03:56 PM
You should point them out, if you claim to have understood them.Do you propose every poster point out every qualifier from other posters that he understands?

It's kind of a weak attempt at stalling, but really expected. That you are squirming this much about one small detail is entertaining.

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you propose every poster point out every qualifier from other posters that he understands?

It's kind of a weak attempt at stalling, but really expected. That you are squirming this much about one small detail is entertaining.

I awnsered your question with the qualifier in mind. That qualifier still holds for the past. People still had to figure out what was right and what was wrong since there was a huge monopoly of the news back then.

Don't whine and cry about stalling, even though really expected. That you are squirming too much about one small detail is entertaining.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I awnsered your question with the qualifier in mind. That qualifier still holds for the past. People still had to figure out what was right and what was wrong since there was a huge monopoly of the news back then.Was there more or less unsubstantiated crap back then?

And you do know there was an internet in 2004, right?

Ignignokt
05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Was there more or less unsubstantiated crap back then?

And you do know there was an internet in 2004, right?

I wasn't talking about any year of this century. You should read and understand what i said, if you care about your argument. but you wont.

ChumpDumper
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I wasn't talking about any year of this century. You should read and understand what i said, if you care about your argument. but you wont.My argument stands on its own without anything you say. Unsubstantiated tripe is bad. I believe there is more easily available unsubstantiated tripe these days.